Am I adhering too strictly to killer etiquette?

Options

When I'm on someone getting off hook, even if I am pretty sure they don't have Decisive or Borrowed Time, I will let them go in favor of uninjured, unhooked survivor. And in the endgame I will purposely leave hooked survivors because I will feel like a dick for camping them. Am I being too nice? Am I handicapping myself?

Comments

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,084
    edited April 2021
    Options

I'd rather have a fun and sporting game with 0K rather than a boring game where I 4K with camping/tunneling

Ultimately it's up to you what you do though. As long as you're enjoying it, you do you with the mercy or lack of mercy.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,986
    edited April 2021
    Options

That's not even killer etiquette, that's just smart play.

You've highlighted the possibility of both DS and Borrowed time, and opted not to waste time testing to see if they exist. If the survivor who unhooked them is also a viable target, go for them every time.

If you get back to the hook and the unhooker has vanished and the unhooked is still in view though, there's not much else you can do about it. In that case, yeah you're handicapping yourself if you don't at least try to make them mend with a hit to BT.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited April 2021
    Options

Yes. As nice as you're being, it's also what sets the unreasonable precident for killers who go against sweaty teams. This coming from someone who usually does the same and probably shouldn't (except the endgame camping thing. I don't see the point to that, securing one kill out of four seems kind of pointless to me).

Killers have to play dirty to win, because... Well, survivors do it all the time but without the "rulebook" nonsense getting thrown in their face. That's not an excuse to BM people, but also giving people free passes when second chance perks are the meta is kind of doubling down on giving them free pressure on you. If someone farms a teammate it's probably best for the overall health of the game to hit said teammate and then chase the unhooker. Then people might start to understand the difference between killer BM and survivor farming.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,660
    Options

As long you're enjoying yourself do what you want and play however you like as long as it's within the rules.

If you're happy with how you're playing and how the matches are going then keep doing it. If you don't like how your matches are going then change it up.

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302
    Options

The survivor rule book hinders you as a killer. Break free, and do what is necessary to win.

2-3 gens done in 2-3 minutes? Tunnel someone immediately. Basement hook at 5 gens left? Camp it out.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

Are you enjoying yourself? If that's the case, don't worry about adhering too strictly or "not enough" to any sort of etiquette.

• Tomskrex
    Tomskrex Member Posts: 142
    Options

If someone is hooked and you spotted a survivor near the hook, of course you won't walk away.

I myself prefer not to camp plainly because it makes it boring for me, I will camp out last hook with all gens done though because, well, what am I supposed to do? Not try to win?

Also, I also like to go for uninjured survivor since it gives me more pressure after getting them to injured, then I switch to unhooked person if I can locate them.

• FondaDix
    FondaDix Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2021
    Options

You are. I try and show sportsmanship, something that is dearly lacking in the community, and what do I get? Tbagged and flashlight licked at. When someone dc's or someone lets themselves just die i always try and go easy on the team. Like they don't get that. I try my best not to camp, but if survivors are throwing themselves at the hook I need to do something. It's always in the back of my mind that I don't wanna be gross. The main thing I want to express to survivors...just dont be seen. Like a lot of killers won't camp if you dont make your unhook so blatant.

Post edited by FondaDix on
  • darlazon
    darlazon Member Posts: 64
    Options

Thanks guys

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

I am not opposed to somebody playing how THEY want as long as they don't expect others to play by those rules. However, I typically try to encourage people to give it their best if for no other reason than to keep the matchmaker from becoming more of a mess than it already is. When you go easy on people, they may unfairly get put up against killers they have no business going up against when they should be held back to something more their level.

• MerryJuanNa
    MerryJuanNa Member Posts: 29
    Options

yes you are, to some extent. If you're playing for fun no matter what, you are going to handicap yourself, however there are somethings i dont understand about the camping with killers, its not fun for the survivor or the killer, when i play killer i try and play in a way where everyone has fun, not for me just winning, idk whenever i got a 4k by camping it just seemed hollow to me, I didn't really give myself a chance to have fun as a killer because i wanted to win so badly. Playing against toxic survivors is just as annoying as playing against a toxic killer and for that reason i try not to be a toxic survivor or killer, i play games for fun, i dont play them merely to win

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,789
    Options

You are definitely making the game harder for yourself than it strictly has to be. I'm often in the same boat, and I've found that sometimes I can make a compromise with myself, like slugging the unhooked survivor then chasing the healthy one with no intention to come back, or only camping during EGC if I have zero kills. It's hard to find a balance between trying to do well and trying not to be unnecessarily mean.

• Murph
    Murph Member Posts: 43
    Options

You are the killer. You kill the survivors. Why do you care what they think about you?

• VikingWilson
    VikingWilson Member Posts: 789
    Options

If only survivors cared about the killer's fun, right?

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options
  • chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    Options

This is about as well said as it gets. If you're having fun go for it they definitely are with the way you're playing. The only thing I will add is if the roles are reversed that same gratitude is not givin back. However as long as you're having fun thats Your choice but you are throwing matches especially not securing the kill during end game collapse. I did this exact same thing two days ago I open the exit gate and did not camp in endgame collapse went into frenzy with Legion they dead harded so I could not get a frenzy hit and tea bagged at the gate while I was in fatigue waiting for me to come out of fatigue and swing at them and walked out the gate not even giving me a hit for my nice gesture. I cannot tell you how many times things like this happen I can't even down you in Frenzy they were not in danger.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited April 2021
    Options

As Killer, I let the Survivors chose how we do battle.

If the Survivors are chill, inefficent on gens, bad loopers, I'll play down a bit and relax. I'll take long chases, peel off to chase others, ignore hooked survivors completely... etc.

If they're giving me really hard chases, flashlight saving, body blocking, efficient on gens - I go sweaty. Proxy Camping and slugging is on the table if I'm behind.

If they go clicky, teabaggy or start taunting me with gestures - gloves are off completely. Happy to face camp the offender if the match is beyond salvation.

• Aquamarine
    Aquamarine Member Posts: 207
    Options

You make the game more difficult that way. It is polite and good sportsmanship, but it does make the game harder. If that's fun to you and you are happy with match results, by all means continue, killers like that are fun to play against.

I tend to play the same way, at least when I'm completely dominating the match (which is not common). I do it just because I hate being tunneled out early, and don't find it fun to do so to someone else. That was easier at lower ranks. Now I go constantly against red ranks while only being on green myself.

Many killers actually play that way, but then again, if the killer can't apply enough pressure while being too nice, survivors won't go easy on their opponent the same way. They do gens quickly when there's nothing to push them off.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335
    Options

You are completely handicapping yourself.

I have recently done the same thing after being a sweaty ruthless killing machine for a number of years. And your kill rate will go down by an average of at least 1. Maybe more.

But you have to play for yourself and your own win definitions. I say play how YOU would like to verse. Then, you can never really lose.

• Lost_in_the_Fog
    Lost_in_the_Fog Member Posts: 452
    Options

Personally, I always go by the motto, "All's fair in Endgame Collapse." I've yet to have a survivor argue back against that.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306
    Options

As I keep saying

do whatever you want. If you like being nice, keep being nice. If you don't, don't.

You bought the game, do whatever you want with it.

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    Options

Here's another one just played a game with Legion. My Legion has Max corrupt and Max bbq a tier-1 thana lol and a tier 2 tinkerer. My Lobby is a 3-man Xbox swf and one random cross-play. The game is not going well which region is an uphill climb usually but he's super fun but I'm hooking and Frenzy away from Hook I think I only had like five maybe six hooks when the last gen pop it was a huge autohaven map. Endgame happens I catch one hookem decide to proxy why wouldn't I after my last post. End up killing three of them. Get messages at the end being called a tunneling trash can. They were all rank 3 or higher and don't know the true definition of tunneling camping sure but who doesn't expect that in end game but tunneling I played way too nice I didn't slug didn't tunnel or someone out to make up some time and I still get accused of this. The entitlement and double standards in this game can drive someone mad.

• Xzan
    Xzan Member Posts: 907
    Options

I'm only nice to survivors who have given up or did really well and got sandbagged by their team.

Otherwise the fun of the other side isn't really my problem. I will not facecamp, but if a survivor plays bad, I remove him asap from the game. It's still a pvp game.

Survivors don't respect easy hex totem spots, why should killers respect the selfcaring Claudette under the hook?

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,127
    Options

Killer what now?

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Options

Yeah, yeah, "no such thing, play as you want". Some people enjoy playing in a way which is enjoyable for everyone even if it comes at the cost of efficiency.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Options

I know, and nobody stated otherwise. In the case of OP I guess he just finds playing that way more enjoyable.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

My two cents is do whatever feels right to you in that moment but being "nice" is always cool!

I usually play Survivor but when I'm playing Killer I try really hard not to camp or tunnel people because I know how awful it feels. I do however slug a lot lol. Also in end game I am pretty inclined to proxy camp at the very least (There isn't much else to do as killer at that point).

All that being said, when survivors dive the hook I wouldn't feel bad about taking them down. Usually what I do in a scenario like that is take down the unhooker because they're basically farming the person who was hooked and I've been in that situation where you just get farmed without BT and it sucks. So I uh, yeah. Personally I like to go for the maximum number of hooks possible so I get the most Sacrifice points but I also run perks which give me incentives to get as many hooks as possible (Pop, BBQ etc.)

It's just all up to you but I always remind killers that camping / tunneling someone out early means the remaining survivors will likely gen rush you even harder than if you hook then go and look for another survivor immediately. Exerting as much pressure as possible is how you keep control of the game, not making one unlucky persons game experience miserable lol

• sesawyer3127
    sesawyer3127 Member Posts: 342
    Options

Solo survivors like me really appreciate killers like you even if we lose. Some players really forget its not whether you win or loss its how you play the game.

• megswifey
    megswifey Member Posts: 826
    Options

I do the same thing most of the time. Fresh unhooks are too easy and I like pressuring everyone rather than one!

• worriedfeng03
    worriedfeng03 Member Posts: 82
    Options