Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Developer Update April 2021 Discussion - Nightmare / Huntress / Demo / Twins & Perk Changes

Comments

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

seriosuly?! i just bought the nightmare on elm street dlc and now youre nerfing half of it?

• MJ_Out
    MJ_Out Member Posts: 184

"Happy mapwide shrieking noises"

That totally crack me up xD

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 981

Wouldn't be better to just make a mechanic in which Demo itself can destroy it's portals that are no longer useful?

• Profezia
    Profezia Member Posts: 673

and it makes you destroy portals whenever you use them.

On second thought you, it allows demo to go away from "portal network" playstyle and roam the map more freely and just have 5 portals set where he needs and use a spare portal to access this network from anywhere you want.

It might be interesting.

• PabloLovesMC
    PabloLovesMC Member Posts: 163

So wait with the borrowed time change, it used to get you 10 seconds max of endurance so now its buffed there and in the fact it happens every time?

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

For a meme addon, it does add an interesting play style option for him.

It's one of the better meme addons as it's not a straight downgrade for pity bloodpoints.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

We knew for some time that Freddy was getting nerfed.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213

Every Totem, as the Tokens represent how many totems are left on the map so it goes down every time a totem is cleansed by any survivor.

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122

Also, are we getting new TR music for the Killers? Demo and Twins already have their own music, but will Huntress get an update to her TR? Will Freddy, with his license?

• Zucker_Schock
    Zucker_Schock Member Posts: 565

Borrowed Time change:

The thing with this change is, it promotes bad gameplay with unsafe unhooks behind the killers back and hook farming. That already was the case before the change but it will not make it better. Basically you can unhook everytime, without consequences. So strap on BT and shut off your head while unhooking. Its also a nerf for stealth killers, which already arent in a good spot. I dont like the concept of strong perks having no counter play at all, giving a free hit every time.

• Profezia

Yeah, it basically means you don't have to be afraid of wasting a portal to teleport, so you can play like freddy with an exception you teleport to portals instead of gens.

• swager21
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I'm actually very curious to see the effectiveness of such a tactic.

• Profezia

well just remember every time you had to waste portal to get to another/you had to lose portal/objective because you didn't want to waste a portal, every time you had a useless portal and think how different would things turn out if it wasn't your concern.

The only downside would be that you'd basically have to play -1 portal if you want access to them from any point on the map.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213

They explained why he was nerfed.

Freddy was annoying and was overperforming by a huge margin. He deserved a nerf.

This might be a little too hard of a nerf but we'll see.

• swager21

ive seen way more posts complaining about spirit and nurse but ok. the thing that annoys me about this nerf is that freddys only ability that actually helps him during chases is now not even as useful

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

OoO is going to be annoying.

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508

Alright. Things I will comment on are things I take issue with, and presumably, I am fine with the rest.

1. Why are dream pallets being nerfed? Do people seriously complain about them? I've been under the impression that they're a meme add-on more than anything.
    2. This is not mentioned, but I think we all know it's coming. Exhaustion add ons should not be removed. These are "modern standards" that are wrong. Exhaustion perks aside from Head On don't have counterplay in the first place, so why is it that some killers using an add-on slot to counter them an issue?
    3. The buffs on Demo look good. It doesn't solve the reliance on rat liver, though I suppose that's not a huge issue as a common add-on. What I would have liked to have been changed is the fact that survivors have more control over Demo's portals than he does since they can choose to destroy or leave them, but he can't. It'd be like if Trapper had to commit to a trap spot and could only pick up disarmed traps. That's my biggest problem with Demo, since it basically stifled creative portal placement, and you're naturally going to want to put 2 at crossroads to generators every time.
    4. Who boy! Twins. Let me preface this. I am not interested in how Twins play ever since PTB and have not gotten them. They're trash if you play them like a normal killer, and only become strong in 4-man slugging (the reason why I don't like them, because it'll turn the game into a slog for both sides). However, I see this as a massive nerf to their playstyle. So, one of the reasons why survivors hate Twins is being addressed, but you're also taking away the only reason to play Twins. There needs to be a draw to using them other than their add-on pass and the camera change if you want them to be played at all. If chaining downs on injured survivors is nerfed, the 1v1 needs a huge buff. It's fairly simple. A. Make the transition between Victor to Charlotte faster to make them feel more fluid and adaptable. B. Remove the timer on recalling Victor and make the recall available at any time. This timer is the reason why they're not good outside of slugging. They effectively have a 36 second cooldown on their power, and Victor is no where near oppressive enough to justify these numbers. Once again, survivors should never have more control over the killer's power than they do themselves. The risk that a survivor will prevent you from using your power for a long time in exchange for being unable to heal or work on gens is not interesting gameplay. It's incredibly boring.
    5. Is this action speed increase for OoO only during the aura reveal, or just there all the time. If the later, that's a problem. Gens go by too quickly relative to chase time as is. This is partially because of exhaustion perks extending chases on killers with lower mobility and some inherit problems like how much time hooking eats up (the reason why slugging is used). There shouldn't be perks to speed up gens, especially by a continuous rate. As of now, holding M1 is more impactful on matches rather than the relative chase skill of survivor VS killer.
    6. Why is Zanshin the only killer perk that's been looked at? There are plenty of killer perks that are in serious needs of buffs or reworks, many of them can be solved with simple number fixes. Blood Favor is bad because its range is so small, that the counter to blood favor is simply optimal survivor gameplay by using the on-hit speedboost to get to the next loop. For blood favor to be even remotely acceptable as a hex perk (particularly with a cooldown), it needs to have a range and duration to seal off pallets that survivors would reach with their speed boost. Maybe 32m for 30 seconds. Even that might not work because a survivor will have about a 16m distance after the wiping animation is done for killer, and it'll take around 20 seconds to catch up to survivors post wipe. Dragon's grip should have its cooldown linked to the activation time and/or exposed status like, you know, make your choice. Trail of Torment shouldn't have a cooldown. Oppression should have a 40 second cooldown. ect.....
  • Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352

I do not like the Lucky Break change. I was hoping to see it become more like a simple, permanent to your character like Iron Will is. Or, at the very least, changed so that the perk refreshes whenever you're fully healed. 70 seconds of no scratch marks or blood trails is just too gimmicky and is easily countered by not tunneling down that one survivor.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

I nominate you to become a developer for a day and make this change happen.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,189

that is what the developer promote in survivor gameplay. Press E to outplay. free unhooking, free god pallets, free wins. I mean remember, Borrow time was invented to be a perk to counter camping, specifically facecamping like Leatherface. Instead what the gets used for is hook bombing and rushing generators vs killers that have natural defensive gameplay style in locking down areas like Hag. Thanks for buffing the most braindead survivor perk of all the time.

• SasakiHaise
    SasakiHaise Member Posts: 15

Boring and unispiring, previous mid chapter was MUCH better and full of content

• Chatkovski
    Chatkovski Member Posts: 309

I was afraid of what I was going to read, and I was right...

Small Game will only be used by forum killers who will now also respond "use Small Game". I'll sum up, now all solo survivors have to play Small Game and Kindred (and DS, of course!). It is obligatory, otherwise you do not have the right to criticize the game. What fatigue... Basekit or nothing.

Toolboxes... Ah yes, it was very important to increase (again?) the chance to receive a skill check, to make them more "interactive". If there was a problem with toolboxes, this was it. I love skill checks, I even have an Android application to continue doing them, even when I'm in the toilet. Skill checks is my passion. You should consider adding some to totems and chests to make them even more interactive.

There would be a lot to say, but it's useless anyway, like PTBs. I continue to watch the evolution of this game, but definitely, I risk continuing to look elsewhere, more and more.

Otherwise, thank you to the graphics team, it's very beautiful. Just a small note: the atmosphere of the map seems a little too... warm, maybe? But why not.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

I'm saying it: people will still DC when being instadowned with Iridescent Hatchet

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

That's a joke right, last mid chapter had a terrible hud which was barely manageable, and other bugs

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

My own comments and predictions as follows

Iri Head - Reasonable nerf that should of been done years ago.

Borrowed Time - The shortened Endurance timer in exchange for the proximity setting is reasonable. The few killers who could get around it were edge cases anyway. My only concern is it's EGC power will frustrate some players - my first thought is that I know I'm going to personally be more motivated to remove somebody from the game in situations where I might of let them go so I don't get stuck dealing with it in EGC just to prevent this situation when I otherwise would of just played around my terror radius to counter it. But again, an edge case. So likely not going to affect most of us.

Farm map reworks look a bit bright for my taste - I liked how gloomy they used to look. But, it may look different on my rig so I'm willing to give it a chance.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    edited April 2021

Am I the only one rolling my eyes that they are nerfing pallet Freddy? So much for a higher skill cap for Freddy, this is just a base nerf across the board with no additional skill factor on the killer players part. Also, perhaps I'm just being salty but why the hell aren't they doing anything for trash killer perks? This and last time it was only a single killer perk that got a super minor and pointless "buff" while the survivor side gets 5+. Bruh I'm so glad I quit this game, I forgot how utterly annoying it can be watching them fumble every patch cycle.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

They did say Freddy was bound for a nerf sooner than later.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184
  • notlonely
    notlonely Member Posts: 391

Lucky Break and Demo still need changes. For the rest of the things this is a really good update I'm very happy with!!

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,536

"Also, poor Freddy mains. Ouch, this gotta hurt."

It does. It is not the end of the world, but it does hurt.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

I feel it's warranted though, it sucks to have your favourite character changed but out of everyone I think Freddy & Spirit deserve it the most in all honesty, I hope you're still able to play him and enjoy him after the patch.

• GeneralV

Thank you, and I assure you that I will. It is impossible to make quit Freddy, there is a reason why he has been my main ever since I first started playing DBD (2018). However, out of every single change only one of them was good.

And I don't think he needed a nerf. Spirit? Maybe. But not Freddy. The only he needs is an option to revert his power back to its original version, which is something that we didn't get.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

I can't believe there is no mention of fixing Huntress hitboxes?! "Don’t panic: We have not changed The Huntress’ base kit".  Well, her basekit was beyond broken Devs. Play against her if you don't believe me. Impossible to dodge the hatchets.

It's still a good thing Iri-Head is finally nerfed. That's a celebration :) But the nerf isn't enough. The main issues with Freddy and Huntress are the gigantic and uncounterable hitboxes. Freddy wasn't nerfed enough, a killer shouldn't teleport directly to an objective using unfair perks like Tinkerer and BBQ. That's just broken. So the borrowed time change was actually good but why is the time being nerfed so much? A compensation for killers again? A compensation wasn't done with DS when it was slaughtered.  Lucky Break also nerfed for compensation. Soul Guard nerfed. OOO nerfed too of course. ZANSHIN TACTICS killer perk buffed. Demo being buffed. Way too killer biased in every update.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

Probably because it's more of a technical thing than something related to her kit.

• GeneralV

There is nothing wrong with Freddy's hitboxes. My babe is a smol boi, so his lunge looks weird. But it is actually the same as everyone else's and this was confirmed by the devs.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

I was mostly referring to Huntress. Freddy being slowed down when he sets those puddles is still something I wanted :) Is it enough? Probably not. lol

• GeneralV

Yes, it is more than enough. The reduced movement speed is a good change, I cannot argue with that. The rest? Extremely unnecessary.

• LexTalionis
    LexTalionis Member Posts: 135

Yes, and not only that, any killer power, perk, or addon that gives you some form of Oblivious is now invalid and worthless with respect to BT. This is a giant buff for BT and nerf to every Oblivious element of the game, and it is frankly pathetic balancing. Probably going to invest my time in Home Sweet Home now, I'm tired of this garbage.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159
    edited April 2021

Freddy - glad to see his slow down add ons are being changed, hopefully no more matches that go on way too long. He was a super easy 4k, he's the one I'd put on any time the "kill x survivors" challenges popped up because he was quickest/easiest to get that challenge done.

Huntress - wish they put in distance requirement but atleast now limit her to one hatchet.

Demo - not sure how much this really improves him.

Twins - really wish they'd address the camping with Twins. Also wish they'd make it so survivors would receive points for being in chase with Victor.

BT - wicked happy it's not based on terror radius.

Small Game - Happy for totem counter, disappointed it's connected to perk. Guess this rules out totem counter being "future addition" to HUD as a reason for the changes we had.

HUD - Still needs improvements after this.

Farm maps - look pretty but also looks like yet another map that nerfs Trappers power.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited April 2021

So first off I have some complaints:

They should have made rat liver base kit with Demogorgon. He's not so strong that it would be an unfair buff; and it would give him the FREEDOM to use other addons.

Like, even that new whistle as good as it is....I would still use Rat Liver over it; that would just be the second addon I take if I could. I might not even take that because for a purple addon it's still not very good...You still have better brown and yellow addons than you do that purple you've shown....I'll have to see the others.

The Lucky Break buff was a bit much possibly; that is (maybe) a little over powered even if it is only for the start of the match (Have to see it in practice). They may need to make it increase your sounds of pain, or make it so your sounds of pain cannot be silenced rather for it's duration, to prevent it's use with iron will for that time. Even then we'll see, I need to see what it's like in practice first it might not be as bad as I suspect it could be; but it's worth keeping an eye on because it lasts for a long time and on some maps that could mean you just lose any chase if a survivor has it, and if 4 people do it's a real problem.

With Freddy honestly these nerfs are okay for the most part but he isn't as strong as other killers you are not nerfing....Why? Because his kill rate is too high because he is too easy? Then why not raise his skill ceiling instead of nerfing him for everyone to be even worse than killers you are not nerfing? I don't understand that logic at all... I would rather his potential be kept the same but his skill ceiling be raised so he had to think more about using his power, this would have lowered his kill rate across the board except with people putting the actual effort to be good into him. (Also they nerfed his pallets like....######### lol....)

Huntress's move speed iri addon is boring and lame; I mean why on earth would you care about your move speed if you don't have a power? Neat addon if it wasn't an iri I guess.....

It still looks like there might be a bit too much obnoxious corn on the Coldwind maps; have to see it in testing but at least it's brighter I guess =/ Maybe they put some effort into actually doing something new and gave it animations or something finally; or is that wishful thinking from devs that can't animate half the killer's heads?

With all that out of the way; everything else other than what I said, I really like a lot. It sounds like I hate it but I really don't, there are more good changes than bad changes here, but I can only hope at least some of the problems I mentioned above are addressed, even if it's just a couple (Primarily with Demogorgon, I mean that would not be a hard problem to solve, and for the love of god don't solve it by just nerfing rat liver)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 981

The nerf on the traps don't bother me too much since his antiloop was never his strongest point to begin with. I am concerned with his slowdown addons (which IMO were his best) and the invulnerability to sleep with the alarm clock. I would be okay with the alarm pausing the sleep timer, but not being able to put to sleep even with a attack will hurt him a lot.

• Murph
    Murph Member Posts: 43

Any word on Trickster's knives not increasing the chaser emblem being fixed?