Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Some ideas for buffs to poor, poor Demogorgon

Bard
Bard Member Posts: 657
edited October 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

We already knew Demo wasn't the best, but the stats released in the QnA were even worse than expected. Despite being pretty fun, he has one of the lowest pick rates. Despite being somewhat easy, he has one of the lowest kill rates. Seeing has he's far from "new", the natural conclusion is that he's just... kinda bad.

I'm going to list these changes in order of how easy they would be to use.

Change 1: Free Up an Add-on Slot

• Increased movement speed while charging Of The Abyss from 92% to 101%.
    • Reworked Rat Liver
      • Recover 0.5 seconds faster after destroying a pallet or breakable wall with Shred.

This effect is... basically a necessity for Demo. By making it baseline, he can actually use both of his add-on slots to some effect.

Change 2: rip stbfl

• Shred now counts as a basic attack.
  • Recovery time for striking a survivor with Shred decreased from 3 seconds to 2.25.

This is more of a "fun" thing than a balance thing.

You feel kinda forced into running STBFL when playing Demo, which likely contributes to why so few people play him because STBFL is such a damn stressful perk to use.

In exchange for losing STBFL as a core perk, he's gaining other benefits. Baseline he gets to recover more quickly from his Shreds, and he can now benefit from, well, every other on-hit effect. MYC Demo is already decent, with this it's kinda awesome.

Change 3: Sneaky Sneaky interdimensional dumpling

• Portal traversal sounds can no longer be heard globally, only if you are within 24 meters of his departure location or 8 meters of his target portal.
  • While Undetectable, The Demogorgon's footsteps are silenced.
    • Survivors who are oblivious will not hear the Demogorgon's Footsteps.

What's even the point of giving him the undetectable status if you're just going to announce his presence anyhow?

Change 4: Thinking With Portals

• The Demogorgon is no longer required to stand on top of a portal to travel to a portal.
    • Traversing the upside down while not standing on a portal will incur double the cooldown (28 seconds) and takes longer to do (3 seconds).
  • Removed "Breathing" sound effects from the upside down traversal SFX.

If you don't want to, you no longer need to save portals to traverse; you can use all of them for attack angles.

The second change here also allows you to better track via sound in the Upside Down, which is a plus.

Change 5: Creep

• When a portal is activated by the Demogorgon, it begins to seep the Upside Down into the surrounding area.
    • The Portal's oblivious/tracking radius increases by 1 meter every 6 seconds, up to a maximum radius of 24 meters, starting when the portal activates.
      • This means it takes two minutes for a portal to expand all the way.

"An Unidentified Killer" is a much better description if he could screw with information more effectively.

This is also a massive buff to Demogorgon's portal-based add-ons, since if they cover massive swaths of the map rather than tiny circles, they're actually liable to be a threat.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• pwncxkes
    pwncxkes Member Posts: 235

He does really need some changes , he is just average in the meta

• Chewy102
    Chewy102 Member Posts: 613

Demo has the least pick rates due to it being the most expensive Killer DLC. Demo us also seen (and he frankly is) as a near perfect example of balancing in all of DbD. So that effects his pick rate even more from no one seeing Demo as worth the extra money.

Demogorgon simply doesnt need a balance pass. He is already balanced and several people just get stuck in the wrong mindset playing as him.

Rat liver? I stopped using that long ago in favor of faster tunnel travel and slower tunnel removal. If Survivors remove tunnels, I gain time and information. If they dont, I gain insane map pressure. Combo that with my build of Surge, Surveillance, STBFL, with an open slot and I more often than not dominate Survivors.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Agree,

His power is already in a great spot.

The only thing he needs is an addon rework.

That's it

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I REALLY like the last idea. I love the idea of the Upside Down corrupting parts of the map!

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

I doubt they'll touch him until Stranger Things 2 DLC comes out. Whether thats a skin or a different demo killer is yet to be seen.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

Be careful what you wish for! Because addon rework means changing the killer's base kit as well *looks at Nurse*

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791

First Demo I seen in awhile and they never used portals. They feel very clunky in usage and in placement.

On the survivor side, unless it's directly on top of a gen you're trying to finish, there's almost no reason to close a portal.

He could definitely use some QoL changes.

• Chewy102

I use tunnels to cut off loops as well as travel. It makes me predictable once Survivors know where the tunnels are, but it forces Survivors to react to them.

3 tunnels are used ASAP to lay out a base network. Out of sight from gens, inside good loops to prevent their use, and they serve to direct Survivors to the same used/dead areas. At least 1 gen gets 2 tunnels though. 1 I dont hide, the other I do. The rest are saved for as needed. Post hooking, reacting to Surveillance, adjusting for finished gens, ect.

Odds are someone will get "smart" and start removing tunnels. I like those "smart" Survivors! They waste so much time and allow me to replace old worthless tunnels. And as said, if no one removes my tunnels I gain map pressure from traveling and limiting where Survivors can loop. It's a win/win.

As the game goes on STBFL ramps my pressure, Surge/Surveillance gets more value, and Survivors need to deal with me instead of me dealing with them.

That's the strength of Demogorgon. He synergizes so well with so much. Buff his base kit or addons, and those synergies just become too much. But that's also his weakness. Without those synergies, Demo is kinda meh.

If nothing else. Demogorgon is as cute as a puppy!

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256
    edited October 2020

Demogorgon suffers from his power not giving instant returns, unlike Freddy and Hag. Their powers quickly lead to hits or effective map mobility (with Freddy having passive slowdown). Shred is also a high risk ability with a lot of penalty on missing.

I have Demo, but I don't like playing him because of how much setup time he has to be effective, and how easily that setup can be wasted. It's not like Hag where you can burst traps on her only at an inconvenient time for her; Demo's portals get closed and he has to go replace them, and they don't give him quick hits most of the time. Due to his lack of passive slowdown and disruption for survivors, as well as restrictions to his mobility, Freddy is literally him but better. I love his aesthetic, his roar, and his haunting terror radius, but it's rough trying to deal with all of his drawbacks.

I recently played against a Demogorgon and it was a 3 or 4 man escape. He portaled to my generator, couldn't find me, and then left after hitting it. I immediately destroyed his portal and he came back to try again. Once more, he left and I destroyed his portal. This loop of weakness on his mobility is really bad for him, since he has no other tools to supplement this.

Edit: I'd also like to point out the plethora of audio cues against Demo. His very audible stomping, the sound effects for his portal usage across the map (this is a cue that lets everyone know they're safe, or that he could be coming--which greatly lessens the potential effectiveness and diligent alertness needed by the survivors to counter it).

Post edited by Eninya on
  • Krulf
    Krulf Member Posts: 3

My first comment ever. I just wanna say I LOVE your 5th suggestion. That would honestly be so cool if that would be implemented. Very thematic as well!

• Pulsar

I just feel like Demo is a jack of all trades, master of none sort of Killer. I think that really hurts him. His Shred is best used as a bait ability, and on Xbox at least, it kills FPS. His portals are alright, but everyone knows when he uses them and the Oblivious status doesn't silence his loud footsteps.

I always envisioned him being a blend of Old Freddy and New Freddy, where he could pull Survivors into the Upside-Down, but he would also be able to hit them while they weren't. The Upside Down would offer debuffs as an incentive to get out, which would be accomplished from either leaving through a randomly generated Portal, using one of Demo's Portals, or having another Survivor stand in the same place in the "real world" and drag you out.

• Chewy102

I personally like Demo as he is. Likely made me rather biased towards not changing him, but Demo is a Killer that I can do well with that doesn't feel unfair or unfun for Survivors. There is always a give/take or a pro/con to playing Demo and I see that as a healthy thing for gameplay. Demo and Billy are my favorite Killers because they don't give a damn about letting Survivors know they are there and can use negative stealth.

I don't really care about giving out too much information when I plan on taking advantage of when Survivors start to ignore it. Negative stealth has its own uses and strengths compared to true stealth.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

I wanted to like Demodoggo...but Gods it was just so unfun trying to practice with him.

Portals need a rework/tweak as being unable to replace them is annoying, I don't believe Portal traversing synergizes with some add-ons that affect your location/terror radius.

I feel like his Shred is for meme or fakeout purposes (and to hit Obsessions to keep STBFL stacks)

Add-ons. My Gods if any Killer needs their add-ons looked at, it's Demogorgon :/. I believe many agree that his most useful add-on is a damn Brown Rarity and both Ultra Rare add-ons offer almost nothing fun or valuable.

I just feel I have less utility and fun capabilities compared to other Killers and have more work to put in for the same results of other Killers. I dunno, maybe he's just not a playstyle the Devs imagined that works for me.

• Maníaco_da_garrafa
    Maníaco_da_garrafa Member Posts: 144
    edited October 2020

Can someone give me a reasonable argument for rat liver being basekit other than "i want to do feather tech and not get slowed down while also saving an addon slot"?

• Justalittlepeeck
    Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101

Although I can agree he is balanced, giving him some QoL would be awesome.

Rat liver basekit, travel to portals from any angle and basic attack on shred would make him significantly better.

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651

The portals have so many mechanics tied to them and they barely matter. Once in a blue moon you will catch a survivor trying to hide near a portal with the Killer Instinct and that only because plenty of survivors don't even know the portals do that.

The Oblivious status does not matter because it does not last and you can still use your eyes and ears. The Undetectable effect doesn't matter for the same reasons. The way the killer instinct work really insn't practical either and can't be relied on. Removing the portals is easy, relatively fast and is shown to the whole survivor team for some reason. And allmost all Demogorgon's add-ons have to do with his portals but barely change anything.

Demogorgon is a pretty basic killer sitting on a pile of wasted potential.

• Pulsar

It is good that you like him, but I kinda see him in a similar position to Old Freddy. Not nearly as weak, but most people just aren't going to touch him. The amount of time and skill put in does not equal the output he is capable of.

Basically, Demogorgon is hard to pick up and hard to master, but doesn't really offer much reward for that. His Portals are lackluster, his stealth (like you said) is abysmal and his Shred is better to use as a bait than as an actual ability.

Nurse is extremely hard to pick up and extremely hard to master, but she has a MASSIVE payoff.

Billy is hard to pick up, hard to master, but has a big payoff.

The only "top tier" Killer that doesn't follow that formula is Freddy.

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889

nah his footsteps are so annoying and loud for the player himself, i can't play him more than 1 game or i have to turn down the volume a lot. He was more like a stealth killer in the series but here he is loud like godzilla.

well i really would love to see you playing, i can't imagine how to shut down loops with his portals, at least not in a way like Hag or Trapper. His portals are way to clunky and travelling is too slow to surprise Survivors. Maybe you can force them into another direction by approaching them from this loop, but i think in general such networks on bigger maps are hard to setup and maintain (especially very time consuming). Some Demos use Corrupt but i don't like it because more than often it leads to bad 3/4-gen situations for me at least.

I still play him because he is a cool character and i like Stranger Things but every other killer i main usually gives me better results.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Yeah I don't get this change either. I stopped running rat liver because it made getting shreds at loops way too easy, and you could zone for free. It's pyramid head 2.0

• Skittlesthehusky
    Skittlesthehusky Member Posts: 669

hi! demogorgon main here. i'd be happy to offer some input if that's okay! :0

currently, mr. dumpling boy (still can't believe you called him that oml) is in a decent spot and doesn't really need any changes as far as when it comes to both his power, abilities, and add-ons. each aspect of him serves a purpose, and overall keeps him in a super balanced spot. when played right and with survivor information in mind, he can be super detrimental to even the most strongest of teams.

with that being said, i'm gonna go ahead and break down your post, since some of these ideas do actually have me interested!

CHANGE 1: FREE UP AN ADD-ON SLOT

Increased movement speed while charging Of The Abyss from 92% to 101%.

• Reworked Rat Liver
      • Recover 0.5 seconds faster after destroying a pallet or breakable wall with Shred.

i can see why this would be needed when applied to very, very specific chase scenarios, but i think a change like this would immediately make him broken when giving him the ability to close distance that quickly. demogorgon faces a speed penalty when charging his secondary power due to how quickly it can close the distance on someone, and with how strong it is, needs to give some form of a chance with certain tiles and map styles. this power is also meant to be used with intelligence, rather than being used blindly. shred is more-so of a zoning tool than it is for clearing pallets or trying to play loops like it's the 100m olympic race. xD

not to mention, there's a significant amount of perks that help him catch up if the penalty is really that detrimental. for example, play with your food, brutal strength, fire up, spirit fury, or other pallet-denying, loop-stressing perks can make up for this.

all in all, it really boils down to exactly how you play him. i personally don't see this change being necessary as a result of this.

CHANGE 2: RIP STBFL

• Shred now counts as a basic attack.
    • Recovery time for striking a survivor with Shred decreased from 3 seconds to 2.25.

a quality of life change! i like it! not many people address the strength that STBFL gives dumpling boy, so i applaud you for keeping it in mind.

but this, unfortunately, would also be immensely broken. both a cooldown and allowing STBFL to become that strong will make it near impossible to gain control of situations as survivor when you're in a chase. as i've addressed in my previous paragraph, shred is meant to be a zoning tool and to be used smartly. this will give players the incentive to use shred blindly, and could either make or break a game on extreme levels when that perk comes into play. not only that, but this heavily effects other perks too, and can harm the demogorgon's ability to use certain perks. having the versatility of being able to use a basic and non-basic attack is quite crucial for him with certain builds.

i do like the idea of recovery time being reduced by .75 after successfully landing an attack, though. it wouldn't be that significant of a chance, and perhaps could create interesting scenarios when you have the ability to shred multiple survivors in an area (per say, if multiple survivors are near a generator or a hook and they attempt to split off. that sort of damage would be quite scary indeed.)

CHANGE 3: SNEAKY SNEAKY INTERDIMENSIONAL DUMPLING

• Portal traversal sounds can no longer be heard globally, only if you are within 24 meters of his departure location or 8 meters of his target portal.
    • While Undetectable, The Demogorgon's footsteps are silenced.
      • Survivors who are oblivious will not hear the Demogorgon's Footsteps.

oh no, that's way too busted. x(

demogorgon is a powerhouse when it comes to stealth and being able to show up unexpected 75% of the time. noise notifications are crucial when going against a demogorgon due to how fast he can catch up to a survivor if they're not careful. there needs to be some form of middle ground between him being stealthy, and him having some form of a counter, especially since he has add-ons and perks that easily modify his undetectable status and teleportation speeds and cooldowns. you're essentially creating a mini scratched mirror myers who's able to pounce on people from long distances, and has the ability to traverse the map at breakneck speeds!

CHANGE 4: THINKING WITH PORTALS

• The Demogorgon is no longer required to stand on top of a portal to travel to a portal.
      • Traversing the upside down while not standing on a portal will incur double the cooldown (28 seconds) and takes longer to do (3 seconds).
    • Removed "Breathing" sound effects from the upside down traversal SFX.

now this change, i definitely love the idea of. though i don't see how or why it would need to be implemented, as the surplus amount of portals you can add through add-ons can apply more pressure and attack angles, it does add a lot more fun when it comes to using brainpower. i like a good thinking game at times!

as for the sound effects, again, audio cues are important! keep this in mind when referring to his traversing abilities and how things can affect it.

CHANGE 5: CREEP

• When a portal is activated by the Demogorgon, it begins to seep the Upside Down into the surrounding area.
      • The Portal's oblivious/tracking radius increases by 1 meter every 6 seconds, up to a maximum radius of 24 meters, starting when the portal activates.
        • This means it takes two minutes for a portal to expand all the way.

[excited demogorgon noises]

i've always loved the idea of things slowly being dragged into the upside down in this manner. it'd apply about a quarter more of pressure and gives demogorgon more stealth opportunities.

though, as much as i love this idea, this can actually be more of a counter to portals than anything. portals can have their own individual purpose, such as being able to get a head start on a loop, herding survivors, bodyblocking (on rare occasions, similar to hag), pressuring people off generators, being a key to getting across incredibly large maps like swamp, and the like. giving demogorgon's portals that level of exposure can pose problems, because it'll force survivors to cleanse them much, much faster, and can easily ruin his pressure game if he has to constantly replace them. demogorgon's portals already have a cue as it is, whether its audio and faint visuals, or effects that are applied to the portals if survivors are in range. it's a little risky to mess with something like this. x(

overall, i genuinely like your ideas, and i see where they're coming from! some can add potential, while others can destroy. but with demogorgon being in a decent spot as he is, i don't think a lot of these changes would be necessary, or could easily make games way more challenging than they should be. demogorgon is a killer that requires brains and, more often than not, patience, and when played right, can pose a serious threat to very strong teams. it'd be much, much better to keep him as he is!

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

His shred isn't a basic attack though, it's a special attack. And that would be bad for the Demo players who run STBFL. I've stopped running it on him but almost everyone runs it because of the obvious synergy. And it's sort of the exact reason why they changed Legion's frenzy to not be a basic attack.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101

Well I'd only be glad not to have STBFL as a mandatory perk. I'd also be able to get more basic attack synergy, starting from surge and ending with perks like devour hope.

Demo had basic attack on PTB and it was really cool

• Animator
    Animator Member Posts: 372

I vote for the 5th change.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    edited October 2020

Most people like this killer, almost all survivors wants to face him more often rather than the usual Freddy and Huntress games. But if that is to happen he needs some sort of buff anyway.

Demo is one of my least played killers also. It's because setting up them portals takes time and then survivors cleanse them, it's pretty frustrating to play him so I very seldom do.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

The game doesn't warn you Ghostface is stealthing--why should it warn you Demogorgon is teleporting? The portals themselves give audio and visual cues that he's appearing.

• rororoxor
    rororoxor Member Posts: 182

aside from silent footsteps i think itd be cool to give him a separate crawling animation for a short time whenever he emerges from a portal, which will be silent ofc

• SasukeKun
    SasukeKun Member Posts: 1,858

I'm all for adding more elements from the Upside Down/Stranger Things in general to him, similar like freddy

• Bard
    Bard Member Posts: 657

It's the same reason Pig's old Combat Straps were made essentially baseline.

The add-on's effect is essential enough that people will just use it every game, killing any and all build variety.

The same argument can be used for Trapper (needs baseline bags) and Wraith (needs baseline windstorm).

• TheDemogorgon
    TheDemogorgon Member Posts: 1

finally someone who understands me