DLSS and Ray Tracing

Options

Last friday, Nvidia released a plugin for Unreal Engine (the engine dbd uses) which allows develepors to easily add DLSS 2.0 to their game. It would be really awesome if this feature was added to DBD, since the game isnt that amazingly optimized and this would really help. DLSS boosts FPS with about 70-90% (sometimes 100%).

Before, Developers would have to contact Nvidia to get DLSS support in their games, but now, every game that is made with Unreal Engine can easily add this feature, so BHVR has no exuses not to add it (im pretty sure?)

Ray Tracing support would also be amazing, but thats a feature i can imagine is a lot harder to add. It would make the game look amazing and should be done while they're already reworking most maps with the graphics rework. Some years ago, Ray Tracing was just a joke, but now, when both Nvidia and AMD GPUs (and new consoles with AMD GPU) support the feature, BHVR should really consider adding this feature.

Comments

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446
    Options

I'm looking forward to it but it probably won't come until next year. I would also prefer if they rework character face models first.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

DLSS is actually really great. Keeps the image looking nice and sharp while running at a lower resolution. Not too sure about ray tracing in Dead by Daylight, however if there was raytraced global illumination or ambient occlusion, that would look quite nice.

• DoomedMind
    DoomedMind Member Posts: 793
    Options

I'm always for graphics optimization. Almost every companies make game as everyone has a powerful gaming computer 4K 144 FPS [...] and neglecting game optimization.

I'll always remember how 2K optimized Borderlands 2 7 years after it was created (it was done to celebrate the incoming Borderlands 3). The game was more beautiful than before, from far, and gained +25% FPS. This type of optimization should be released the sooner possible after you release your game imo...

• dbdgamer123
    dbdgamer123 Member Posts: 104
    Options

Well. With DLSS you're able to render the game in 1440p or 1080p and use Tensor Cores on RTX gpus to run the AI, which will upscale the image to your screen res (such as 4k). That will make the game able to run in 4k 144fps, since you're getting the performance of 1080p. This can also be done on like a 1080p screen, which will render the game in 720p to 500p(?)

• dbdgamer123
    Options

They confirmed they wanted to add ray tracing in an interview ( https://wccftech.com/dead-by-daylight-will-implement-raytracing-on-pc-and-next-gen-xbox-series-s-runs-the-game-at-1080p/ )

I think ray traced shadows and lightning would fit perfectly into this game.

• Erak
    Erak Member Posts: 97
    Options

Nvidia Reflex would be way more important to reduce latency.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,432
    Options

Consolers: what language even is all of this?

• dbdgamer123
    Options

Well higher framerate also reduces latency. But yes, Nvidia Reflex would also be a nice feature for skillchecks and such.

• dbdgamer123
    edited April 2021
    Options

Well the new consoles (PS5 and the new Xbox's) also have hardware for acceleration of ray tracing, so ray tracing is also possible on those consoles. AMD is also working on a competitor to DLSS, which has been leaked to also work on the new consoles, so this isn't just something exclusive to pc gamers.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,432
    Options
  • ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    edited April 2021
    Options

Unfortunately, DLSS is exclusive to Nvidia users, and as much as we can crap on Radeon users, we have to admit that they exist. That, and the fact that ray tracing is generally very, very heavy on the system, especially on such a poorly-optimized game, would cause some serious FPS issues.

Plus, it's never as easy as just plugging in a new plugin. It always takes effort and testing when changing to a new, all-encompassing overhaul.

• dbdgamer123
    edited April 2021
    Options

True, false and false. DLSS is exclusive to Nvidia, yes, but AMD is working on a similar competitor to DLSS (They call it Fidelity fx super resolution), which is rumored to release by the end of the year. In a game like DBD, my GPU usage is around 70% ingame on ultra settings (1080p 144fps), which leaves 30% performance for ray tracing. That doesnt sound alot, but if they added DLSS, the gpu usage would cut in half, to 35%. Since ray doubles the GPU usage, it would come up to 70% again with DLSS and RT enabled. DLSS literally takes 7 minutes to add with the plugin in unreal engine, i have done it myself, and many smaller games that uses unreal engine has also added the feature. They literally said 1 guy from the company added the feature in one weekend. Since BHVR have many 100 employs, they have no reason to add it. It's double FPS for anyone with Tensor Cores.

And when Fidelity fx super resolution releases, they should also add that, which im sure they will, since it will also work on the newest consoles.

• ShamelessPigMain
    Options

Not everybody has tensor cores, I'd need a source on just "plugging in" a plugin over the weekend (which again, you don't just press a button), and DLSS frame rate effects are not only not linear, but depend on individual games. You can't extrapolate a figure or approximation without actually trying it out.

• dbdgamer123
    Options

Every RTX gpu has tensor cores. Here's video that shows how simple it is to add the plugin and enable it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkHE48YptA&t= . The video is literally 7 minutes long. So yes, it is just "plugging it in". As said before, i have also done it myself. Just go to the unreal engine market place, click install and restart the engine. It's that simple. You might also want to add some option in the settings menu that enables and disables DLSS, which i think it the hardest thing to do in this process, which just show how easy it is.

• dbdgamer123
    edited April 2021
    Options

And any other unreal engine game that has added DLSS with the plugin gets around double FPS, just like many other games. Some of the games that get the least amount of performance with the "Quality preset" gains at least 80% more fps, most around 100%. You're right about there's no linear line that shows how many extra fps you get. You can try and see how many fps you would get. If you have a 1080p monitor, you can run the game in 720p and see how many FPS you get. Cuz thats how many fps you will get with DLSS. DLSS just upscales the game from lower resolution to a higher one, whichout quality loss. Sometimes DLSS can make more details than without DLSS. A good example of this is in "Outriders". The game looks better with DLSS on than DLSS off. There's many other games that also looks better with it on.

• ShamelessPigMain
    Options

Sources.  

And again, "Outriders" is not DBD. No other game is DBD. The benefit you get, especially considering how heavy DBD is (that nobody runs it at full graphics quality is pretty telling) is individual to each game. What would help a lot more than adding more temperamental change that don't even work for everybody is changes to VfX; they just gave doctor a VfX change and now he runs much smoother. 

• dbdgamer123
    Options

Dude i literally sent u a video of a guy adding DLSS to a project and showed how simple it is. I would say thats a source. And if you dont believe the performance uplift, what about you go check yourself? There's many benchmarks on youtube with it on and off. It's not very game depended, and you WILL AT LEAST see 80-90% more fps. Seems like you don't know what the basics of the tech? idk

And actually, dbd isn't heavy at all compered to many other newer games. Like Outriders and Cyberpunk2077. Cyberpunk2077 runs with around 300% (+-100%) lower fps than DBD. And as an example, in Cyberpunk i see around 110% more fps with DLSS on.

Not 100% accurate, since it's tested under best scenario, but that should give you an idea of what kind of performance boost we're talking about. Search for some benchmarks on yt yourself if you wonna see some other benchmarks.