Gunslinger Balance Change

AVoiceOfReason
AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723
edited April 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

Make him have 4 rods by default. After 4 uses, he has to reload them at a locker like Huntress. There you go. Now you can alleviate some of his annoyance that people don't like about him.

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on

Comments

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

This doesn’t fix what is annoying about him at all.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

That wouldn't change anything. Like Demogorgon, he gets free zoning by existing. Unlike Demogorgon, his projectile moves insanely quick and a good Slinger can hit you anywhere. Also stealth.

Making him reload at lockers wouldn't really change any of this.

• AVoiceOfReason

It would get you a chance to actually get away. You dodge him 4 times and like the Huntress, he needs to leave or try to hit you with slow speed. Also, you can't even seem to move left or right. Just barely move. How the hell am I supposed to wedge myself if I CANNOT move LEFT OR RIGHT except for 1 inch in both directions.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

That’s because when deathslinger walks backwards he actually pull you faster therefor hindering your movement

All he needs is a slight cooldown to his ads

• AVoiceOfReason

I remember in the PTB, you could move all the way left or right. Every update, it seems you move less and less when shot. It just becomes more and more frustrating. I'm sick of going against him and getting shot, miss, shot, miss then shoots and finally gets me. I barely get to another place before getting shot over a small wall and getting yanked away to get hit again with no real chance of getting him off of you. That isn't FUN. That is frustrating as #########.

• AVoiceOfReason

I remember in the PTB, you could move all the way left or right. Every update, it seems you move less and less when shot. It just becomes more and more frustrating. I'm sick of going against him and getting shot, miss, shot, miss then shoots and finally gets me. I barely get to another place before getting shot over a small wall and getting yanked away to get hit again with no real chance of getting him off of you. That isn't FUN. That is frustrating as #########.

• AVoiceOfReason

Fair enough. I'm just trying to find a way to alleviate him on your ass with no real way to defend yourself. Just gets frustrating.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,893

The way to fix him is simple just make it so after he ADS he can’t attack or shoot for 1.5 seconds.

• AVoiceOfReason

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Good change in my opinion!

• Astrian
    Astrian Member Posts: 320

Who's the gunslinger?

• BananaBlooD95
    BananaBlooD95 Member Posts: 555

If you do that, make him 115% based movement speed otherwise he be so weak.

• Chilli_man2400

He wouldn’t be weak it would make him more skillful to use instead of just using him to be cheap.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

i mean wouldnt that just make him huntress, with really the only difference being he doesnt have a lullaby but also has 1 less shot. The difference between them now gameplay wise is already tenuous to make the more similar seems like a boring idea.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

That also doesn't fix his problem. He doesn't even need to aim to zone you, he zones you by existing. A good Deathslinger isn't gonna spam ADS and make you move that way because you're already speared by him before you get the chance to even think about dodging it.

• Chilli_man2400

That’s tricky though because if you increase his ads he becomes the worst killer in the game even worse than trickster

• ALostPuppy

Which is why you don't increase his ADS time and get creative with it. Increasing his ADS would remove his identity. What would be a more interesting change is something like "the longer you ADS, the further the range of the spear gets as well its speed", think like how widowmaker's or the TF2 Sniper's mechanics work. So you would still be able to pop-shot at a short range, but you'd have to aim in and think about when you want to try and get someone at long range.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015

Just because Slinger is annoying to play against doesn't mean he needs a nerf. His map pressure is too mediocre.

• Chilli_man2400

That actually sounds interesting, I like it I would make it so when you ADS for 6 seconds the chain range will become 24 meters

• FIEND8LOODED
    FIEND8LOODED Member Posts: 336

Huntress already exists.

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,587

Sorry but.. No.

Gunslinger is weak against good survivors as it stands and is also Map dependent..

He's ffne where he stands, there Is counterplay towards him. Keep blocking LoS and distance yourself. don't treat him like any 115% killer you can "GGEZ" Loop..

That's like saying trapper can't perform any actions for 3 seconds after he activates his trap,

Or huntress can't move for 5 seconds after reloading.

Or hell, even Demopup can't shred for 5 seconds afterwards. making his power obsolete,

This is just more of a Git Gud issue on people's part to dodge..

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,406

Would you nerf his base stats then? What would be the base range and speed?

• NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 778

Deathslinger is literally fine.

If you have a problem with Slinger there are two things happening and both are a you problem:

1. You don't know how to make a read if your life depended on it. I'm sorry you don't get to turn the other player into an NPC that telegraphs everything they're going to do just because you need every single action spelled out for you 3 hours before they happen so your brain has ample time to prepare. Make a read based on what they're likely to do based on your knowledge of the game and your opponent.
    2. You have no idea how Slinger works, what he needs to do, what shots are difficult to make, when he can and cannot afford to shoot, when he is most likely to try to shoot, etc. You are so preoccupied crying about "no counterplay" that you can't even be bothered to learn how to play against a killer by learning how the killer player needs to play.

Deathslinger is as hard as survivors make it, BUT the Deathslinger still can depend on their own skill as a player to make a play and get survivors. This idea that "a good slinger can hit you anywhere" is BS. A good slinger with thousands of hours of shooter experience still has to contend with the fact that experienced survivors can make it a nightmare to hit them, which then makes shots riskier, the more shots are missed, the more pressure is put on the slinger, the more gens are done the more pressure on the slinger to perform perfectly to have a chance against them. It's not as simple as "Deathslinger doesn't ever ever need to shoot because he just zones you by existing"...yeah good luck winning a game against competent survivors by just zoning them with your existence...i await your 100 million 4k streaks against good survivors with that strat if it's so viable.

The fact that the killer gives those skillful players the tools to deal with those skillful survivors IF they have the skill for it at the right time is a positive thing. Because that is precisely what makes bad killers bad...the fact that no matter the skill level of the killer or how well the killer can read their situation and what survivors are doing, their success is ultimately on the hands of the survivors, the killers simply have no tools to let the skill of the player have a final say in the situation. HOWEVER, ask any seasoned Deathslinger player, I bet not a single one will honestly tell you that a survivor's skill level makes absolutely no difference in a chase and the overall game (remember btw this is a 4v1...a lot of people forget that). Because chasing a survivor that doesn't know what the ######### to do against slinger, and a survivor that knows what they're doing is completely and utterly different.

A reload at lockers or a cooldown would literally only limit Slinger players for no good reason. Also if Slinger aimed his gun and had to wait .5 seconds to shoot, you'd still have no idea of when he would actually shoot. So you'd still be required to use your noggin and make a read. But now you've just arbitrarily made a thousand loops more in your favor against him just because...and you've made him feel clunkier and less like a responsive shooty shooty gunslinger.

What a sad, sad state of affairs to have this discussion still going... I feel bad for slinger mains that know what it's like to deal with competent teams... especially if some bullshit is done to that killer because of this...

I'd make a concession though. If he lowers his aim without shooting he gets an action cooldown of about half/a third of a second. He doesn't slow down, but he can't aim, hit, open a locker, vault, kick a gen, close hatch, break a pallet or pick up/grab a survivor. This seems like a decent compromise that shouldn't completely destroy him, but limits him from spamming his ADS.

• Polishnope
    Polishnope Member Posts: 130

To hit you stealth he needs to sacrifice one of his perkslots and you can still easily see him becuse of his height.Just look around

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193

Ok, So he can shoot 4 times without reloading, instantly shooting again if he misses. Yeah i like this change

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,690

People hate Slinger because his instant ADS which means he zones you by existing. Him having to reload at lockers doesn't change that at all.

Better change is to increase his ADS to maybe 0.75 secs, while maybe increasing his ADS movement speed or reload speed to compensate. Anything else is unnecessary.

• ALostPuppy

The only thing I'd probably change on top of that is slightly increased movement speed while aiming down the sights. Maybe up to 80% or 85% from 75.

As for the base range and speed I was thinking around 4 to 6 meters at 30m/s if you instantly ads and fire, and then 20m at 45m/s at range, something like that.

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793
    edited April 2021

I'm not going to comment on why this is a bad balance change since multiple people already have but just imagine how boring this would be.

Deathslinger is already the only 110% with no movement ability, compounding reloads on top of that would put him up to Nurse-level of not actually playing the game and just sitting around staring at the floor.

• 7AJFUN
    7AJFUN Member Posts: 26

Deadslinger was one of the worst killers added to DBD..he desperately needs a small nerf and buff in same time...the ideas with ADS cooldown are brilliant..Its just simple and correct, to change it in this way..

As a buff i would add him maybe 1 or 2 extra shots, so he doesnt need to reload after every try.. (doesnt need to be exactly this, but atleast an idea)

After that, there would be potential counterplay and not just spamming A&D key, while hoping that he will miss....

He is the #1 (maybe after Spirit) most hated killer just because of his stupid ADS, which makes no sense, as there is no possible reaction time for survivor.

• TicTac
    edited April 2021

Wouldnt the base range be too short and make it easy for survivor to just hold w?

Do you know what the current speed of the projectile is?

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,293

Make Deathslinger and Trickster swap their 'ADS' speeds. It's incredibly frustrating on Trickster (1.6 seconds to ready + unready), especially when a hit is only one eighth of a healthstate on Trickster, while Deathslinger (.3 to ready + unready) gets a stun, pull, bleed and pretty close to guaranteed health state.

• Chilli_man2400

I can see that happening but if you do that then Deathslinger would need a shitload of buffs cause his insta aim is what makes him powerful

• ALostPuppy

I don't think it would be too short, 20m is pretty far. And it would only take maybe 1.5 to 2 seconds to fully charge the projectile. It would be more for zoning (which you'd have to actively commit to now). I'd want to increase his ADS movement speed a bit so he'd be better than Huntress at zoning and at loops, because she's better at snowballing and making long range shots. Maybe give him add-ons that increase the max range? Idk

The current speed of the projectile is 40m/s I believe (1000%), regardless of how long you've held your aim up. Honestly you could make add-ons that increase the speed of it or something,

• TicTac

I meant the base range (6m) of a quickscope. And for max distance i think it would be too easy to get to cover in this 2 seconds. Long range shots are even right now difficult, so i think a range restriction compared to now for the slower shot is not necessary.

I think the nerfs would outweight the buffs.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261

Yes and also give a country lullaby !