Thoughts on Oni and Deathslinger?

IWasLeft2Die
IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
edited April 2021 in General Discussions

I recently was looking through oatch notes on killers and found these two have not had any changes (besides bug changes) since they were released. Every other killers has at least been tweaked once or twice.

1.Positives about them?

2. Negatives about them?

3. Were they good or bad additions?

4. Do they need any changes (either buffs, nerfs, reworks etc)?

5. Any other comments or things to bring up?

Comments

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

Oni:

1. He's amazing.
    2. Oni has to get the first hit which is very hard sometimes due to map design. Deathslinger lacks a good 1v4 or map pressure a lot of the times.
    3. Oni was a great addition, Deathslinger was... okay I guess, he is fun to play but annoying to play against.
    4. Oni could use some very slight tweaks to his power in addition to his garbage addons. Deathslinger honestly needs buffs if anything as well as an addon pass.
  • landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193

Oni is good, but needs his top knot to be removed.

Slinger feels opressive in chase but is lacking of map control. Not the funny killer to go against but is okay

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Deathslinger

1. Great visual and sound design. Has clear strengths and weaknesses
    2. Pretty unfun to fight against since his chase potential is so good.
    3. He’s a good addition imo. He an alternative to huntress who offers similar gameplay but is still different enough for them to not be clones
    4. He could use a small cooldown when exiting his ADS to reduce his zoning
    5. His add ons are pretty bad and could use some changes

Oni

1. Great power with great perk synergies. Has clear counterplay and has good sound queues for solo players
    2. Can potentially slug to well with infectious depending on the map. Can struggle against really coordinated teams due to how he gains his power
    3. Great addition. A fun new power burst killer who is like a modern more fun version of Myers
    4. Nerf top knot and buff his iri crest
    5. Why is he the only killer to have 2 different chase themes? The others need it too
  • Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

The most likely reason they weren't changed as much as other killers is probably due to them actually beiing well designed in eyes of devs.

They both have some frustrations about them (as do all killers) but for the most part both killers are quite strong when played by someone who's good at them while having weaknesses survivors can use against them.

I'd say both can stay exactly as they are and it would be perfectly fine. Still that doesn't mean devs can't made some small adjustments to adress most notorious complains about them without affecting their gameplay too much.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

To preface I havent had much of a chance to play as eother since I'm on console #consolewoes

1.Positives about them?

-Oni I like his overall look and his gameplay is definetly interesting.

-Deathslinger he does add some much needed variety in ranged killers.

2. Negatives about them?

-him being released I think had a direct impact on Billy being used less (especially with Billy's addon changes)

-he lacks much personality. I wish he had more to him beyond his cackle.

3. Were they good or bad additions?

-both seem good overall. I think more people dislike death Slinger than oni but I don't have a ton of issues with death slinger.

4. Do they need any changes (either buffs, nerfs, reworSlinger.

-oni I would love a nerf to him where you can perform actions in one spot without dropping blood. I feel like once you get hit you will never escape. I probably just suck against him but I feel pretty hopeless against him.

-deathslinger I'd love an addon that would allow you to temporarily shoot cables to block areas. Survivors can go through cables but suffer deep wounds. I think that could make his gun more interesting imo.

5. Any other comments or things to bring up?

• BasementDweller
    BasementDweller Member Posts: 465

I'm going to answer these questions from the perspective of both sides.

Killer pov)

1. Oni - Has some good snowball potential, and some good perk/add-on combinations.

Deathslinger - Very good in 1v1 situations, can counter certain loops, and instant ads.

2. Oni - Takes some time for you to get his power

Deathslinger - No map pressure, and some shots will go through survivors

3. Oni - was a good adition

Deathslinger - an ok addition

Survivor pov)

1. Oni - can deny him from getting his power if done correctly

2. Oni - If he gets his power it's somewhat difficult to counter him from slugging (if he's using M&A and Infectious Fright)

Deathslinger - Little counterplay (pray the Deathslinger is bad at aiming), instant ads

3. Oni - ok addition

Deathslinger - a nightmare

4. Nerf/Buff some of Oni's add-ons ( I think there were some calls for a nerf to scalped topknot, not 100% sure).

Deathsligher could use a cooldown to his ads, he could get some some of his add-ons buffed.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

Oni:

• amazing visual and sound design, overall extremely fun power to use that is also very powerfull.
    • can be very oppressive towards survivors at times, especially in solo q
    • great addition
    • absolutely no changes needed.
    • i hate getting thrown under the bus because my team ended up feeding the killer his power again and again, but thats not an issue with the killer.

Deathslinger:

• great visual and amazing sound design, overall extremely fun power to use that rewards you for putting time into learning it. also one of the most balanced killers imo
    • is build to be extremely oppressive in chases, which many dislike. he isnt unbeatable though, which makes correctly predicting and dodgeing shots feel very rewarding (unless reload time add ons are used, which just screw you over no matter what)
    • very good addition
    • absolutely no changes needed (he is quite fragile, the slightest nerf or buff could easily push him too far in that respective direction). though i might be able to get behind a short cooldown for dropping your aim without shooting.
    • no, he does not need a charge up like Huntress has. i see that idea thrown around a lot and it would completely break this killer. his shots are not ment to be dodged at a short distance!

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

ONI - I had a lot of issues picking him up - and still do. Being the tallest killer, I found it really hard to judge my lunge distances and ended up missing a lot. Good to play if you aren't feeling subtle - because Oni doesn't know the meaning of the word.

DEATHSLINGER - If you got good snap aim, you'll probably like him. I appreciate how certain perks that proc of basic hits actually synergize well with his power which is rare for most killer's that have some sort of ranged power.

• Baal
    Baal Member Posts: 14

DEathslinger might feel fun for the person playing him, but going against a killer that can ready up his power with no penalty to fake his shots to bait certain movements is oppressive to the survivors. he is my least favorite killer to go against