How do people enjoy going against Spirit?

Like it's the most infuriating thing in the world to vers her.

I try to do different things against her but it's like they never work. I double back on my scratch marks, fast vault a window and slow vault back through it, etc. But I just go down anyways cause she has more cues to know where I am.

Oh and dont forget the biggest brain mindgame she has, the "take your hands off your keyboard tech" sounds stupid but totally effective.

I've heard people say you can hear her footsteps but it seems as though you might need a really good pair of headphones to hear them over the blaring chase music, your own breathing, your own loud footsteps, and ambient noise.

How can I handle chases against her? I just mentally give up when going against one cause everything I do seems to not work.

Comments

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,120

I find her kind of fun to go against. I like to be able to out-loop everything, but she is a little different. You have to play with your sounds while she's phasing, like slow vaulting windows, crouching, doubling back, throwing the pallet from the wrong side, etc. The standing still tech is dumb though. I think anytime she's phasing, the sound should play.

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927

If she doesn't have strider then I'll try my best.

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794

I enjoy playing against Spiries. Spirits hunt using sound. That thing you mentioned about not being able to hear her footsteps because of your own breathing and footsteps? That's how she's tracking you. Minimize your sound to confuse her and apply that to the mindgames you've already been trying.

Better yet, play as Spirit and get a grasp on what her range and limitations are.

• PlunderingPanda
    PlunderingPanda Member Posts: 112

Personally, I don't.

That said, when I have to I try my best.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I might say, Ironwill survivor vs no Stridor Spirit is a fair game.

She doesnt have Stridor but you dont have ironwill, you die

You have ironwill & she has stridor, you die

The worst case is you dont have ironwill and she has stridor.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

They don't, they are lying.

• Drixpy_Jayyy
    Drixpy_Jayyy Member Posts: 181

I certainly dont enjoy going up against a spirit especially with stridor. For a killer to know exactly where you are at regardless of iron will and is very good at mind gaming I certainly dont enjoy. I dont like nurse either because nothing works on her but breaking line of sight but then they still know where im at.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,390

Outplaying spirits is fairly satisfying given how strong her kit is and the limited amount of ways you have to play against her.

I have enough experience playing against spirits and some experience playing spirit myself that I can usually predict when she is phasing.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,867

Going against Iron Will as Spirit can be frustrating which is why I think Spirit and Iron Will should be reworked at the same time.

• The_C12H15NO2
    The_C12H15NO2 Member Posts: 335

The upcoming lucky break changes will really mess Spirits up. besides sound they depend on the blood & scratch marks. You can muffle your sound in a couple different ways(even without iron will) to help misdirect a Spirit. I've been mildly successful with this. I don't usually escape but am able to extend these chases so the team can get gens progressed.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,084

You mean going against the only thing that somewhat "counters" (and is not even a real counter) her is frustrating? Eh.

@Topic:

When she does not have Stridor, it can be quite fun, even if she is decent. At least there is a chance to do something against her with Iron Wíll. And if she is bad, it is funny to make fun of her being bad, but thats about it.

Killers who play Spirit dont want the Survivors to have fun, so I also dont have fun when going against her with Stridor.

• CantDeadHarder
    CantDeadHarder Member Posts: 188

Yeah but like 99% of Spirits run Stridor so Iron Will kind of doesn't help. :(

Also another thing I've noticed is that when she's phasing, ambient sounds and even the chase music kind of get muffled out a bit so you can hear the survivor's better, idk might just be placebo or something.

• CantDeadHarder

The Lucky Break buff is nutty, but there is no way it's making it to live.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

I enjoy facing all strong chase killers, spirit included. Still when she uses stridor and is capable at hearing it does get quite ridiculous.

She can definetly use a few changes to change the stridor sound tracking and make her give slightly more feedback when she uses her power.

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794

What I meant by minimizing your sounds is to crouch. You make way less sound when crouched, even when you're injured. When she phases, play your mindgame and then hit the deck to confuse her. Once she misses you with her phase she has to chase you at 110 until she recovers.

It takes practice, but I enjoy the challenge of going against skilled killers.

• Equus
    Equus Member Posts: 324

When you get better at juking a spirit it's really satisfying. One thing you need to realize is that spirit can't vault while she is haunting. This means that especially buildings like in haddonfield are her pet peeve. Vault the upstairs window and she either has to come out of haunting to vault or go so far around you get a ton of distance and can break LOS. I also use this at long walls with a vault in the middle; first you fast vault baiting the spirit to go around the wall but I'm not there since I slow vaulted back giving me distance and a spirit on power cooldown.

Half the time that a spirit is faking haunting by standing still her power is on cooldown.... Don't get tricked if you have just seen her use it a few seconds ago. So many survivors panic vault into spirit.

Nobody ever talks about spine chill to counter spirit but it's perfect against her stand still mindgames. The second spine chill turns off I know she is actually haunting. If you can win these mindgames you waste so much of her time. I just stand there and stare back or wander a bit to the side making the false impression I'm about to go to her side of the loop to provoke movement.

A last tip is be aware of the surroundings, grass/bushes/corn flips a bit if you walk through and is a dead give away. Play spirit yourself and you'll see why she gets so much easy hits and how you can avoid detection a bit longer.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246

The discussion around Spirit is weird to me because people list things they try against her and express frustration that those things don't work. And people consistently list the same things as counterplays they've tried.

The reason it's weird to me, and I say this as someone who plays Spirit at a competitive level, is that those aren't even things that work against a decent Spirit. Apparently the commonly accepted counterplay, yet players CONSISTENTLY express frustration that those things don't work. Like...maybe those aren't the things players should do against a good Spirit? Nurse has a bit of the same thing. Doubling back will almost never work against a good Nurse.

Fast vault followed by a slow vault is the easiest thing in the world to hear for a Spirit. Same with dropping a pallet and vaulting it. You can even see a dust cloud on the pallet in the direction they vaulted. Doubling back in a straight line means you're going to breath in her face at some point. Want to chance that on a Spirit with $900 headphones, an amp, and an EQ?

So what do you do? Healthy breathing at a stand still has a distance of 8 meters standing still. Hard cut off at 8 meters. Running is 12-16 plus footsteps depending on the character. Injured is whatever. You might as well be screaming.

The answer is always make distance and create a 50/50 at a further tile. The answer is NEVER stay at the tile or go towards the Spirit. She has a finite amount of charge on each phase walk. You need to make her burn some of that closing the distance. It takes practice to gauge the timing, but I like to wait and bait her to commiting to one side of the tile and then vault or drop the pallet at the last second of her phase. It's the most effective counterplay but the hardest to pull off.

Lastly, it is 100% patently false that she has no tell when she goes into phase

• Crowman

I think the issue is people expect tactics to work 100% of the time, but killers with strong chase mechanics don't have counters that work 100% of the time and it becomes a game where you try to make the other person think you are going to do something and you do something else.

• The_C12H15NO2
    The_C12H15NO2 Member Posts: 335

I would think so too. But the dev have history of minor (if any) changes from PTB to live. Then making the changes 8-12 months down the road that should've been made in PTB. We'll see

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,867

I do get what you’re saying as yes Iron Will can be fair against Spirit, but I’m saying that when Spirit gets reworked to where she has reasonable counterplay then it could be nearly impossible to catch Iron Will users which is why I think both need tweaks. Iron Will is already a problem against most killers anyway because it gives an incredible passive effect that doesn’t have any drawbacks to it.

• Harold_Shipman
    Harold_Shipman Member Posts: 737

Some people like to be choked so..

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

depends.

I have Iron Will and she has no Stridor? - probaply the single most fun killer to go up against.

any of the two conditions above are not met? - one of the worst killers to go up against.

• SammiieK1991
    SammiieK1991 Member Posts: 686

Can't stand her. 🤣 like I swear I hear the sound of her and I'm like, yup I'm screwed, so il just attempt 3 escapes on the hook... woops I'm dead, next match 😂

Do not like her at all.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited April 2021

One of if not my favorite killer to face.

She actually requires a higher level of skill to play against than most killers. You have to actually understand what she's seeing and hearing and then manipulate that. You're playing proactive against her, not reactive. IE if you're looking for feedback from her you're already playing wrong.

It makes for a very unique chase compared to the rest of the roster.

• CantDeadHarder

Some of the idle resets dont even look like resets, still nonetheless it's information I didn't know beforehand so thanks!

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246

It really helps to go into a custom match with a friend on Spirit and just watch for it repeatedly until you get comfortable reacting to it on the fly. Admittedly not the easiest thing in the world to react to if you see a Spirit every couple days.

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

shes still more enjoyable to verse than a red rank 7k nurse. i feel like i stand a way better chance against spirit than i do against a nurse

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,168

I enjoy going against a normal Spirit

I do not enjoy Stridor Spirit

• CantDeadHarder

this made me laugh too hard. The doctor pfp really sells it lmao.

• odra
    odra Member Posts: 369

if the spirit has stridor then just GG, but most of spirit runs stridor and that show how much try hard win they want, just better give them 4K and go on with the next game

• kyogul
    kyogul Member Posts: 491

outplaying spirit is like outplaying a deathslinger. you didn't juke him, he simply missed. you didn't outplay a spirit, she simply misheard you.

it's reliant on how good she is, not how good you are

• kyogul

I think it's extremely unrealistic to expect a survivor to see such minute animation changes. You can only see that when you're right on the Spirit's ass. You can clearly see a Spirit "standing still" from a distance and not be able to see the animation resets clearly.

Also as far as I know, you can also see her husk or whatever light up as an indicator she's phasing on certain outfits she wears. But the point is that's such a pedantic detail to notice and you don't exactly have the time to strip analyse the frames you're looking at to determine definitively if her animation is resetting or not, if her husk is glowing or not.

The frustration from Spirit is that she has significantly more information on where you are than you ever will and people feel it's unfair. 50/50 is not a counter. That's guessing. And the odds are it's in the Spirit's favour considering she has more information to go off of than you do.

• Crowman

That's a bad player's mindset right there.

There are things you can do to outplay both a Spirit and a Deathslinger. They simply are not guaranteed to work all the time.

• baron
    baron Member Posts: 142

Finding people who enjoy going against spirits I liken to trying to find a bigfoot: you hear they exist, people claim they exist, but no one has ever irrefutably proven they exist.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

I love how she moves and how she looks, she is kinda hot. Also love when she does waaaaaaah!!

• Krunga
    Krunga Member Posts: 159

Playing Spirit for a month straight made it easier to play against her. Her shards glow when she's in her phasing state and always trust your gut feeling if you want to drop a pallet.

A great way to learn how to play against her is by playing her. It's worth it since she's S tier and most likely to be played against you.

• odra
    odra Member Posts: 369

you could tell by shard you need really close which is really impossible to tell. basically if anyone try to said to looks for shard then you need to be awfully close to this killer and some skin can cover most of her shard

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,769

I've played her to the point where I can consistently 4k without add-ons because Stridor is a perk that exists and is balanced on her. Do I have an opinion yet or do I need to sink 3k hours into her for my opinion to not change?

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

When the Spirit is bad is enjoyable because Killer mindgames himself and does absurd things, its like watching one of those Benny Hill chases skits.

When is good there isnt much to enjoy, they see you, they hit you, they phase, you go down without much input.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

I never liked facing her much because of how difficult it is to get a win against an experienced Spirit user, but at the same time I like the spooky atmosphere of fighting her, there's an aesthetic that she brings that most other killers don't.

Frankly the two killers I don't want to face anymore are Trickster and Wraith. Trickster just gets on my nerves and always has, and Wraith has been needlessly buffed into OP territory. I'm completely over both of them.

• kyogul

Try the 'you're bad because I disagree with you' argument on someone else, I'm not the one.

In technicality you can outplay them. The issue is that they have much more control and leverage to outplay you than you ever will to outplay them, if all things are considered equal. I don't consider guesses to be counterplay.

You can break LOS from Deathslinger to avoid getting shot at, but that's a "counterplay" credited to the map rather than the survivor. Léry's is a good example because of how many walls and LOS breaks there are. Majority of maps are very open in comparison if not in general, so I stand by what I said again: you don't juke a deathslinger, he simply misses his shots.

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911

Was gonna pretty much say this, a good spirit with stridor is even worse.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,306

Its because she has inherent counter-play, a lot more than people give spirit for. Spirit is such well-designed killer. Its crazy. Most of spirit's gameplay revolves around making predictions around the survivor's movement, her mechanical skill very low meaning she has a very good skill-floor but high-skill mastery as her skill allows her to beat any team with good prediction and solid tracking skills. Its like perfect formula. The reason why survivors feel like they can't beat her is because their movement is too predictable and no single action done repetitively will work against spirit. you need mix it up and she has answers to what you mix up but you also have answers to their mix-up. I wish more killers were like spirit where either side could make a good play.

With nurse, She's more raw mechanic skill and raw power, you can make nurse miss few blinks from extremely far away but eventually you'll get zoned in the corner and a lot of her blinks will start become more reactional than prediction based if your too close to her. She is just as fun to face as spirit when you go on Hawkins,Lery and like Rotten fields as the large amount of wallblockers makes her closer to prediction based killer. Ironically these maps are.... very hard for nurse compare to the others.

• Bullettimegod
    Bullettimegod Member Posts: 994

I agree. I have fun going against her because its not "let me loop killer shack" its more "let me chain loops, and waste time as much as i can".

People forget its never a 1v1. Its a 4v1 always.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,874

I think it will. 90 secs. is terrible for a game that averages 20 mins. I used the current lucky break on 3 of my chars, when it first came with Yui- and the 2 min plus still wasn’t enough. Even with healing & medkits. The timer doesn’t pause when you’re healing/being healed. Healing in sloppy butcher eats up that timer.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

Even though I feel like chases with her are "when will she get me" rather than "will the killer get me". I still have some fun

I think I learn some of the best looping against her honestly. She teaches me a lot more how to best dodge at the drop of a dime as well.

I still feel hopeless of winning typically but I likebeing able to learn more

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,874

I used to enjoy going against spirit- especially vanilla spirit before the rework. Currently these days, not so much. I think it really has more to do with my solo que teammates. They don’t respect barbecue & pop. She’s tough to get away from so why broadcast your location & the gen you’re working on, just for her to pop that gen- down you in 30 seconds, hook, then rinse and repeat? I’m usually the last survivor who got the only 2 gens done cause I either got close when she’s carrying a downed survivor, or hid in a locker for 10 seconds. As soon as barbecue is done, I’m out of the locker finishing my gen- while my teammates are dropping like flies. That’s not fun at all. Aside from this, I have a great deal of respect for Spirit & Nurse players because they require SKILL to play effectively. Players who are good with Spirit put in the time and effort to learn her, and I respect that- unlike pay to win Freddy & Ghostface. I don’t mind losing to a good Spirit, and find it challenging trying to shake her off when breaking line of sight. Survivors in the past complaining about her & nurse actually made them stronger by causing them to be reworked- IMO. At least my chases vs. rank 1’s using them didn’t always end up with me getting hit after the first phase or second blink, back then.

• CantDeadHarder

True, it's physically impossible for you to react to a shot from deathslinger, you have to anticipate the shot.