How do we all feel about DS now?

Phasmamain
Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Ever since DS got it’s rework I’ve still been using it as I normally have. What I have noticed is that not only does it work in less situations now (which is totally fair) Killers really doesn’t respect it much anymore.

Most the time I have DS the killer will pick me and I’ll use it. If it’s a killer who can end chases short say spirit or slinger I’m down in the next 30 or so seconds.Then my DS is gone. If I get unhooked again that killer has free reign to just tunnel me immediately again.

In my opinion DS should activate on both hook stages regardless of if you’ve used it or not. If you need to nerf it agin for compensation you could remove it’s ability to be used during endgame collapse. This way it punishes tunnelling more but for the people who don’t tunnel this buff doesn’t matter

I just feel like current DS doesn’t really do enough to stop tunnelling considering you need to use a perk slot to get it’s effect.

Tell me what you think!

Comments

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798

"Ever since DS got it’s rework I’ve still been using it as I normally have. What I have noticed is that not only does it work in less situations now (which is totally fair) Killers really doesn’t respect it much anymore."

Thats pretty much it, I agree. Now that killers feels it has been nerfed they respect it less and it is more effective than ever.

• Phasmamain

Not a bad idea actually. I just want the perk to do what it is supposed to do effectively

• Phasmamain

It is true that the perk still works against tunnelling but it feels like it just doesn’t do enough.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063

I thought the same. I don't run DS, but it's not much of a deterrent for a tunneling killer. Unless someone else is in their face and they're not that devoted to the idea of killing you first, they're just going to run after you. Hiding the trail would be great for giving the user a chance to actually get away; taking the route of a sprint burst for 3-5 seconds might make the user a lot less attractive to chase after, too.

Anyway, I think the nerf is very fair - I go out of my way not to tunnel and I'd still get hit with 50-second DSes off gens and totems all the time. It was very busted in its previous state. The unfortunate part is that people stopped running it because it can't be used as an all-purpose shield, and now you're seeing an increase in hard tunneling because killers don't feel pressured to play around it anymore. But that's not an issue with DS's mechanics, that's an issue with the transient meta.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

I think it needs some tweaks to make it consistent on heals i.e. it deactivates once your health state changes to healty and it doesn't deactivate for healing actions on yourself (unless you're fully healed, ofc).

It'd make it more consistent with the theme of 'getting a chance to get back into the trial'.

Also 99'ing heals to keep DS wouldn't do much because you still can't progress the game.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

still run it as survivor and it works just fine but now I dont have to worry about a survivor on a gen jumping into a locker the second I come over.

• FondaDix
    FondaDix Member Posts: 173

agreed. I'm a killer main, but also a red rank survivor and I'm surprised how many killers I come up against who will down me when I get pulled off the hook and don't think I have DS...which I don't since it's a waste of a perk slot.

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012

Nah it is not balanced. I mean yes, nerf stopped abused by toxic survivors but it is also weak perk. Even you have and use it, it does not stop tunnel. Killers are not respecting it even you have. So it have to be active after both hooks. Then killers will learn to respect DS again.

• LilCrapper
    LilCrapper Member Posts: 89

"In my opinion DS should activate on both hook stages regardless of if you’ve used it or not. If you need to nerf it agin for compensation you could remove it’s ability to be used during endgame collapse. This way it punishes tunnelling more but for the people who don’t tunnel this buff doesn’t matter"

Yeah..... Only if you dont ever want to play again. Because no one will willingly put them self through that much torture, trying to play a video game. To. Have. Fun. I for one, already find way to many things annoying and obnoxious to deal with as killer.

• Phasmamain
  • premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798

what do you mean? the second you start healing the ds wears off.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

It could use some work. Longer timer, double use, tweaks to the deactivation, that sort of thing.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Before the most recent DS nerf, very few people complained that DS was weak when it fired off because the Killer tunneled someone right off the hook. That part still works just as effectively as it did before DS was changed. I think once enough time has passed and Survivors start using it again in larger numbers, it will continue to do that part of its job just as well.

As far as buffing DS again, I personally would only be okay with that on the condition that DS stops functioning during the last leg of the game once the Exit Gates are powered. The one thing DS still does that bothers me is severely increase the odds of escaping the trial if someone has not already used it by that point in the game. Something like allowing DS to be used multiple times in a game would definitely increase the possibility of allowing that to happen, so I'd want that to be nipped in the bud before we actually discuss the possibility of buffing DS.

• LilCrapper

wrong...... as the survivors will ALL get 2 DS. Making it near impossible for a killer to even get one hook if survivors properly use their resources!!!!!

This happens now, without your obvious overpowered want. If this change were to ever happen, it would ruin the game without some way for the killer to counteract it

• Phasmamain
  • TAG

What is "properly using their resources" in this case?

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

to be fair, nothing is going to stop a determined gamer that wants you dead, DS at the very least lets you waste more of the killers time, which is what it was supposed to do

• LilCrapper
    edited May 2021

survivor body blocking. breaking hooks you were b-lining for. using items.

the resources of a survivor.........

No one will change my mind on this. As DS is in an ok place right now. giving it a second charge. is just plain stupid

EDIT chasing for more than 30-40 seconds is BAD. giving 4 survivors with 2 charges of DS, will make chases last way longer than a minute if you were to tunnel

EDIT 2 by that time. half the generators will have been completed

EDIT 3 and thats not to say, another survivor steps in the way with a DEAD HARD , and continues the chase for more minutes

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,218

As a mostly killer main, I'd say that DS is situational enough now to deserve having two charges, one for each unhook. Or even two charges that can be used at your discretion, so if you use it and are still getting tunnelled, feel free to use it immediately after. Killers will get hit with it, know you still have one charge left, and may decide it's not worth eating two DS's back to back.

As an 'anti-tunnel' perk, it's a stick instead of a carrot, so it needs to have some threat to it. If you've used it once, then it's used up and can no longer function as a deterrent.

• TAG

I want to see a video of someone dive bombing the Killer with a Dead Hard to save someone else. Because I've never ever seen that happen before.

• LilCrapper
    edited May 2021

it doesnt take much.... get on google and do a search. Tru and Otz will be your prime source of material.

OR you can just play the game. Survivors do this all the time, anywhere from gutter rank to red rank

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

I've said this before and I'll say it again I think DS is perfectly balanced and I think a one time use is enough. Whether it's before EGC or after if a survivor hasn't used DS they should still get that opportunity at a decisive moment. After all tunneling is tunneling.

• Seraphor

Anti-tunnelling perks work as a deterrent.

Old DS worked because all killers expected all survivors to be running it.

Now that DS is less ubiquitous, killers just tunnel and pick people straight up, gambling against decent odds that they won't had DS.

Once DS is used, that deterrent is gone, and the killers have nothing to stop them from tunnelling.

Old DS definitely had it's problems, it was easily abusable, so the changes were good. But in making it less attractive of a perk, killers have no reason to fear it with every survivor, so they don't hesitate to tunnel. A second charge would bring that fear back.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

idk a second charge on a second chance perk just seems too much.

• LilCrapper
    edited May 2021

lets be real. instilling fear in the 'killer' dont think is the intention of the DEVs at all

and is quite honestly. the other way around

• TAG

I've been playing since a little after the Clown chapter, which isn't as long as Dead Hard has been around, but still for a decent while, and I primarily play Killer. Never once in my time playing has someone Dead Harded into me to save another Survivor. And never in any of the Tru3/Otz videos have I seen someone do the same. So please show me a video of this.

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

i would say that it isnt efficient enough. if a killer wants to force you out of the game then they can easily just eat it and continue chasing you

• Seraphor

All you have to do, is let that survivor start something else, and they lose their DS. It's not difficult.

• TAG

How is that different from DS before the most recent nerf? You hook, you tunnel them off the hook, you eat the DS, you tunnel again. This was fine before. How is it no longer fine when this sequence of events remains unchanged from the previous iteration of DS?

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

what i meant was that it isnt efficient at stopping tunneling. i know its the same as before but its still a problem

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

It's perfect as it is now, I wouldn't change it any further.

• ZoomZoomKaWaow
    ZoomZoomKaWaow Member Posts: 18

It was never intended to be a free escape despite people figuring out how to chain it with other perks to do so. If the killer picks you up and eats the stun, then you got your use out of the perk. Gone are the days of being BT rescued and rushing the next hooked person with 2 health states and DS ready to go

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

Honestly, I think it got over nerfed and I'm a killer main, I only wanted people to not be able to work on a gen and or hide in lockers when they were doing a gen then hop in the locker to force the pick up.

This thing that DS now doesn't let them heal just isn't what I wanted it to be, sure it is really healthy right now but I think it is kinda weak now.

• ZoomZoomKaWaow
    ZoomZoomKaWaow Member Posts: 18

Adding a second charge just obsoletes the change. There's already so many survivor second chance perks that starting talks about adding second charges to it seems rather redundant. If people don't respect DS, then they don't respect it. The only difference between pre nerf and current state is the ability to chain it with BT for some absolutely stupid plays

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 869

Killers learned to respect DS because literally everyone was running it. Now, DS was nerfed and survivors don't run it as often because they can't just sit at a gen while keeping their DS. The overall utility of the perk has completely shifted and now it's solely for anti tunneling purposes, but not many people used it for its anti tunneling purposes clearly because people stopped running it. Killers realize this too and even when there's an obsession in the game, the chance of you being hit with DS is now less likely. Whereas before, the chance of you being hit by DS if you tunneled someone was practically 100%.

I'm all for the DS changes you suggested. It's just going to discourage tunneling people, which is always a plus in my books and the EGC should disable it so DS isn't necessarily a free escape once you get unhooked.

• Damarus
    Damarus Member Posts: 600

I feel like it has been overly nerfed. The amount of tunneling in this game was already obnoxiously high BEFORE the nerf came through. Now it's just a tunnel fiesta, since the only actual way of countering tunneling and getting maybe 5 more seconds (depending on who the killer is) does almost nothing. I would make it so DS doesn't deactivate like it does now, instantly, but after 5 to 10 seconds of other interactions. The way it is right now, a killer can simply fake going for someone else, OR run into you again, and tunnel you another time.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

Yeah it's weird for me to tell because less killers are respecting it but that's also because 1 in every like 8 survivor run it so sometimes I say to myself let's risk it they have ds that's fair if not I'm sorry. should of ran it

• TAG

Was it a problem before? It does not seem to me like it was a problem before in that regard. So why is it a problem now?

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    edited May 2021

I think DS is fine, but if you were to go back through my posts (a good ways back in fact) you would find my suggestion for a change to DS was:

1. Interacting with your environment in any way other than running away and hiding deactivates DS.
    2. It activates each time you are unhooked.

So while I think the current form the decided on works just fine, it is ironic that I was suggesting what you are all asking for a long time ago, and everyone was telling me I was suggesting too much. :)

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430
    edited May 2021

My opinion is that when I play killer it is much easier to tunnel.

Killers who proxy camp and don't necessarily make themselves known as far as going back to the hook immediately, will more than likely go back and for that person who just got unhooked because god forbid you've already touched a gen or you got a 1 second heal on yourself because that still counts as "you're not being tunneled". lmao

Even though we all know it is. Even though we all know EGC unhooks (while understandable) are somehow considered tunneling while there is nothing else to do but patrol the hook. Like something doesn't add up. 😂

What they should have done is, instead of the timer depleting immediately, it should deplete over time. Because this prevents from those scenarios from happening, where the killer is just cutting corners to proceed to tunnel the same person (IE give the person a little bit of breathing room).

My main problem with DS was not people working on the gen while it was still active. Because people like that who got cocky never even got to use it, and most likely went down 2 seconds after. My main problem was during EGC. Where someone can just walk out because DS is still active.

Nowadays though, I am ok with them leaving that in. Considering how much they have already neutered this perk.

• TAG

But no one complained back then that it wasn't good at protecting someone being tunneled off the hook.

• Phasmamain

That’s because everyone was afraid of the stun since it could happen at any time. Now it’s only when you know you’re getting hit by it

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015

It's good, but needs one more change.

Reduce the timer to 30 seconds, but freeze the timer when you're getting chased. This is what happens with Lucky Break after you heal back up, the timer freezes. This is essentially a buff to DS anti-tunnel wise.

• TAG

You only know you're not getting hit by it if you see the person who was unhooked doing something that turns it off. That doesn't change a whole lot IMO.

• meowzilla69
    meowzilla69 Member Posts: 408

Nothing. I was eating DS before it was nerfed. MMM DS 😋