Is it rude to hit survs on hook to make them not scream?

I hate the sound of survivors screaming on hook, especially Elodie and Yun-jin. I had a match recently where I smacked all the survs on hook once then left, and 3 of them were upset. Is it considered rude?

Comments

• Sup3rCatTree
    Sup3rCatTree Member Posts: 588

Yes, it is because they think your BMing. Survivors don't know what you're doing

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

I just run Calm Spirit out of consideration for the killer's ears.

...well, until I need that perk slot for something else at least.

• latinfla4
    latinfla4 Member Posts: 2,119

That elodie scream needs to be silenced

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

I don't mind, actually. If you do it once, I think it's for the scream. If you do it more than once, you're wasting your time, which is my goal.

(But the Killer hitting me more than once is rare. They know each second is precious.)

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358

I consider it rude but if its only after being hooked i usually assume its to silence the scream. If anything beyond that you get teabagged to hell any chance I get

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Its considered to be BM but its really hard to see doing it so Elodie's/Yun-Jin exclusively being BM given how deafening their hook screams are.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,843

They don’t know why you are hitting them.

• Kate_Main_01
    Kate_Main_01 Member Posts: 504

I think to new or unaware Survivors it is definitely considered rude. But I think a lot of us know that one hit is just you hitting the mute button! Which I personally appreciate as much as the Killers do! 😅

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Yes. But I like you used word Rude instead of Toxic.

Only toxicity in this game is in endgame chat.

Tbagging, gesturing, taunting, facecamping and hitting people on the hook is just rude.

But luckily this game is for mature people so noone would be triggered by it, right? :)

• Shadow_Master953
    Shadow_Master953 Member Posts: 24

I use to do the same thing honestly. Their screams started getting a little annoying. After a while, I guess I got conditioned to not notice so much. The only time I see it as rude is when the killer sits there and does it 1000 times but I always laugh when they do. That tells me I got them tilted lol

• Shadow_Master953
    Shadow_Master953 Member Posts: 24

exactly lol whenever this happens to me, I just laugh and take pride in my work as a survivor

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Hitting them ONCE immediately after hooking? IMO, no, but that's because I actually know what that's for. Other survivors might not take it well.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2021

I always just assumed that it was a cocky, smartass thing to do until I heard the explanation. I imagine that most people who don't use these forums or trade in DBD intermediate tactics probably assume the same thing.

That said, if they get really mad about it, that's on them. It's not like it makes things any more difficult or unfair for them or anything. I know that whenever someone smacks me while I'm on the hook I just figure either "they're cutting off my scream" or I just don't care regardless. I'd say not to worry about it. If someone wants to take it personally, let them. Not your problem.

• Opossum_Supremacy
    Opossum_Supremacy Member Posts: 35

I'm honestly surprised so many people have an issue with the screams, I don't think they've ever bothered me. Maybe my ears are just broken!

I tend to avoid hitting on hook in general just because it's a small little time waste. I can understand survs perceiving it as BM, no one can read minds afterall. Ultimately it's something stupid to get super mad about imo.

• cherryblossom
    cherryblossom Member Posts: 34

As a surv. I never thought it was rude or toxic. Started to play killer some days ago and I do the same tbh.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298

I didn't even know it works this way, huh.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited May 2021

If you do it just once to stop the scream, most will understand your intentions. BMing would be to keep hitting them.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

If they didn't want to be hit on hook they should've brought calm spirit

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,181

It'll always be rude from the survivor viewpoint of getting hit, regardless of the intention behind the hit. From that vantage, it's virtually impossible to feel it is anything but.

People do hit survivors just to silence the scream and listen for other survivors, which isn't rude in itself, but a rude action is sometimes purely down to perspective.

However, if you are doing it genuinely to hear out for others, I would not worry too much about the feelings of the survivor. If a killer hits them just because it's fun, then maybe best to understand why that player feels that compulsion and reassess those reasons.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

Yeah it is considered rude. the scream was implemented by the devs and belongs into the game, if you like it or not. The fact that they stop screaming because of a hit is probably a bug not worth fixing though (it would actually make more sense if the survivors start a new scream then…)

if it’s just one quick hit after the hook i personally don’t mind. But it shouldn’t surprise any killer player that survs might think it’s rude. I mean.. many killers get triggered just because the survs tap the crouch button multiple times…