Does a VPN count as cheating?

Cryinfrn
Cryinfrn Member Posts: 24
edited May 2021 in General Discussions

Basically I had a killer from China that hit everyone through pallets and kept getting lags hits. Im NA btw.

Comments

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497

I don't mean to sound rude but...this isn't a serious question is it? Perhaps you should check what a VPN is, it's not a lag switch I can promise you that.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I'm fairly certain that deliberately choking your connection is considered cheating, but its not enforceable.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    edited May 2021

No one uses it to give themselves bad ping, they use it to get into servers they otherwise wouldn't be able to normally. Sure that means they lag and you get hit with bs swings but it also means they miss hits that should of been legit on their screen. This mentality that people use a VPN to make themselves laggy is actually one of the dumbest ideas people have come up with on these forums and that's saying a lot. No having a laggy internet connection is not bannable and never will be. VPNs are just a fact of the internet and will never ever go away so you might as well just get use to them.

And for the record VPNs normally give you a better connection not worse, mine typically nets me an extra 10-15ping better when I use it, bringing me from an average of 60 to 45-50.

• Toblerone007
    Toblerone007 Member Posts: 598
    edited May 2021

You're right to say it's not bannable but the developers could render purposely increasing your ping to have an advantage over survivors useless rewriting their netcode.

You're trying to speak for the killer playerbase like they're all ethical, kind and contributors to society. This isn't a perfect world and I can assure you there are players that do this intentionally. I've versed a killer before called 'vpngetsem'. Australian steam account that was hopping to Asia and back to the Australian dedicated server. They were getting hits 5 metres away. Hits after window vaults and metres of distance made. Hits after a pre dropped pallet and the killer swinging seconds after I made distance from the pallet. If it didn't give an advantage, people wouldn't do it.

The players that defend this always have lackluster knowledge about ping and it's interaction with multiplayer games and dead by daylights netcode.

As for VPN increasing/decreasing ping. Ping only changes with efficient hops between networks and geographical location. It's the time it takes for digital data to travel over copper wire or fibre optic cable. This takes time and is relative to the distance between you and the server. The reason your VPN is making your ping better is because the VPN host has an efficient traceroute to the DBD server compared to your ISP. This is out of your control and you cannot set this yourself. The players that get increased ping (intentional or not) will have a very inefficient traceroute to the dbd server like my example above.

At the end of the day if it didn't give an advantage HallowsGrief, it wouldn't ever be adopted and it certainly wouldn't ever have threads made about it here.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited May 2021

There's no reason to connect to other servers besides gaining an advantage.

Edit: Also, you'll note I said nothing about VPN's, because though VPN's are mostly used to be malicious they are also occasionally used to cut down on ping. I do the same.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

You're connecting to a different server than your own and getting BS hits from a mile away because you shouldn't be on that server in the first place, I hope they eventually find a way to lock VPN users to their original server when it comes to gaming so you cant ruin everyone else's game for your own enjoyment and act like it gives zero advantage, It's not cheating but it most definitely shouldn't be in a game like this that's already bad enough about getting hit when you shouldn't

• Toblerone007

Better yet make it so server calculates hits, grabs, flashlight saves and head on exclusively. Therefore if you're on the correct server and have a good connection you can't possibly have something unfair happen to you.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

Im pretty sure they already have this but it doesn't work just like most of the other things in this game, I love BHVR to pieces but 5 years in and we still have some of these core flaws? How has some of the most basic ######### gone this long without fixing?

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

I consider it cheating but there isnt much they can do unless they put a hard cap on lag to access a match, if you pass that cap you get kicked, the match ends and you get a DC penalty.

• Toblerone007

That's hit validation. The client calculates the hit and then the server supposedly checks it to be valid against the server time. It doesn't work. High ping killers still get hits. High ping survivors still get unfair head ons and cancel grabs.

Yes it has been a long time but the game functions really well for a mostly melee game when everyone has a good connection. They just took a different approach to high ping in comparison to other successful multiplayer games.

• Cryinfrn
    Cryinfrn Member Posts: 24

Ah yes a killer from china using a vpn to get into America servers is 100% giving you better ping

• VPNService
    VPNService Member Posts: 3

As a VPN user almost all of the time (as evidenced by my username) I agree that a "skilled" VPN user can use it as a sort of lag switch. They don't even have to connect to geographically distant servers, they can simply connect to a congested server and they can throttle their pings to victory. It takes considerable skill to learn how, though, and personally I find it dumb that people would want to learn how to compute in their heads to know if a hit should land or not based on their ping, especially (as HollowGriefs had said) since the lag isn't a one-way street. They could have used that time to just learn to play the game well like normal people do.

That said, I personally use the VPN for online security, and I only connect to local servers. I also follow the tips in this page for speed: https://www.vpn-service.org/5-simple-tips-to-improve-your-vpn-speed/