The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Too much grind for new players

Kalec84
Kalec84 Member Posts: 495
edited June 2021 in General Discussions

Are the devs going tondo something about the grind needed to get all the perks right now?

I mean, i have all killers p3 and almost full perks, but i startednin 2016, so i dint feel the problem, but i can easly see ir when look at my friends account who just started playing... i mean this is a scary amount of grind just to get all killer to level 50 and all the perks (not to mention prestige) and even more for survivors since there are even more perka for them...

Are devs working on something to make it easier?

Comments

• CoalTower
    CoalTower Member Posts: 1,730

If they do this, I hope they give us BP to make up for the BP we spent on those tiers.

Like maybe 500 million?

• CoalTower
  • miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

Yeah I don't play killer much but Sloppy Butcher, as you implied, actually looks like one of the better perks.

• CoalTower

It's insane on any killer that doesn't use their power for all hits. Or Nurse, where her power counts for it.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

Finding a good combination of perks for killers must be tough. With so many unique powers and then so many unique perks that are often meant specifically to complement those powers, it must be a lot of trial and error to produce the best killing machine.

I didn't even know, for example, that people could play all kinds of versions of Michael Myers that apparently do totally different things. I like the flexibility of this game quite a bit, even if it is overwhelming for newcomers.

• TGB
    TGB Member Posts: 301

The problem is the people that have the mentality, "If I had to do it, so should everyone else!"

Literally gatekeeping the entire game.

This grind is nutso, and I indeed want to quit over it. (Not to mention the insane stacked game balance towards Survivor.)

It's REALLY hard to find the redeeming quality of DBD. I literally only keep playing because I hope that the game becomes fun 50 million BP later. LMAO...

Because right now... it is not fun.

• CoalTower

Run Sloppy on every killer except for Huntress and Trickster. Always run BBQ for BP. Run Corrupt on every killer except for Nurse if you're good with her. Monitor and Abuse is really good on most killers, unless they have built in stealth. Save the best for last is good on killers like Trapper, Wraith, and Spirit. Enduring is good on killers like Billy, and is really good with Spirit Fury. Hex:Ruin is good on every killer that can pressure gens. For example Oni, Billy, Nurse, and Spirit.

Hopefully this helps you make some good builds.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Yes, new cosmetics are being designed and made everyday for purchase.

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Member Posts: 213

There are 84 killer and 84 survivor perks in this game. Each perk has 3 levels which sums in 252 perks to unlock on each character.

You can only get 2 perks per level, so you need 126 blood webs. You need about 50 k bps on higher level P3 per blood web. That means you need about 6 millions blood points to unlock all perks on one single character. But to achieve P3 you have to spend about 1.5 million each for P0, P1 and P2 first which results in additional 4,5 millions per character.

All in all you have to calculate with 10 millions blood points for each character if you want him to be P3 and full perk.

There are 25 survivors and 22 killers in this game.

So you have to earn 470-500 millions of blood points 😁

-----------------------------------------

Playing a good killer with barbecue results in about 50 k bps per game.

An average game as survivor results in 20 k bps.

That means you need about 25.000 games as survivor or 10.000 games as killer.

Considering queue times you can have about 4 to 6 games per hour.

If we take 5 on average it results in about 2000 hours playing killer or 5000 hours playing survivor. 😃😃😃

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

I will repeat this till I'm blue in the face.

• Unlock all 4 perk slots at level one.
    • In addition to their teachables, every new character should get Unleashed or Kindred for the 4th slot.
    • REMOVE PERK LEVELS - ALL PERKS ARE EARNED AT THEIR CURRENT LEVEL 3 POWER
  • kodiaky
    kodiaky Member Posts: 51

If the devs just remove the perk lvls it would already be a huge improvement to reduce the grind.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

I have pretty much everything unlocked on Xbox, but I'll be switching to PC very soon. The grind is gonna be insane. 😫

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,396
    edited June 2021

Wow. I wish you luck in your endeavors sir 😅

Here’s to hoping they add cross progression at some point in the future

Going to be really refreshing getting good frames and less drops for sure though!

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

I would cut the price on everything in the blooweb in half.

• marciamarciamarcia
    marciamarciamarcia Member Posts: 79

That's my life right now since I switched over to PC from Xbox a few months ago. It hasn't been easy. lol

On the plus side, the benefit of having played a lot on Xbox helps you to better focus your efforts on PC. So with Survivors I have leveled them up in the following order to get the best teachables: Dwight (Bond/Prove Thyself) - Bill (Borrowed Time/Unbreakable) - David (Dead Hard/WGLF) - Tapp (Detective's Hunch) - Laurie (Decisive Strike). I also lucked out by snagging Inner Strength from the Shrine.

For the best Killer teachables, I started out by leveling up: Leatherface (BBQ) - Deathslinger (since he's my favorite Killer) - Hag (Ruin/Devour) - Nurse (Nurse's Calling) - Trickster (Starstruck) - Plague (Corrupt Intervention/Infectious Fright) - Blight (Undying) - Michael Myers (STBFL) - Clown (Pop). The only really good teachables I'm missing are Tinkerer, Discordance and Agitation.

• Satelit
    Satelit Member Posts: 1,377
    edited June 2021

Each new chapter makes the game harder on new players.

Theres a lot of pay2win, because licensed characters can have vital perks to your build but can only be bought with real life money.Grinding BP is unbearable without BBQ for example.

The shrine is useless as it keeps putting perks from free characters.And it comes down to RNG or whoevers in the Archives.

It made my blood boil when they were so proud of giving 1 free original character during the Anniversary stream,1 character is nothing,and I mean NOTHING with how unbearable the grind is.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,948

I still find it slow even with 2 perks a Web at this point with so many it should be 3 or 4

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

At this point, with as many Perks as we have, it would behoove them to eliminate the different Levels and just have a Perk be a Perk at Level-3.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

Sometimes it glitches where you can only get 1 perk after level 50. Really annoying. And at the very last perk it still erases two, which is annoying as well.

• Kalec84

I'd really love to hear something from a dev about this topic...

They openly admitted that the grind is hard.

They could at least create a survey like the one they make every now and then about the ptb...

Just to ask for our opinions...

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911

They should just remove perk tiers, its way too much bloodpoints to get a character p3 level 50 with all perks tier 3.

And theres so many perks and characters the grind is literally stupid

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

Imagine just starting this game and seeing you'll have to spend nearly 100 dollars in chapters just to catch up and all the tome challenges to catch up with along with trying to understand how certain perks give the other side an advantage, I've suggested removing the cap on perk slots so you can use at least the three characters perks out the gates even with no points spent because all slots are open from the start and if you did the tutorial you could have points to start with four and the grind wouldn't feel as bad because they can immediately use a character without having to build up 300,000 bloodpoints to have the perk slots available and they would see the synergy the survivors/killers perks provide and learn to figure new builds faster because they already have the slots to play with, overall it improves the quality of both sides and encourages players to try something different with the ease of starting out

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

The grind is the reason I don't pester my real life friends to buy the game. I also, bring it up as a deterrent when my friends ask if they should buy it.

It's too bad, because the game is obviously a lot of fun too, but I can't ever recommend it to people I actually like.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,396

Same. I’ve had multiple people watch me play this game and go “this looks pretty fun, should I get it?” And it’s sad that I have to bring up so many negatives to keep them from getting their hopes up (queue times, grind, matchmaking, bugs, etc.)

• Guest1567432
    Guest1567432 Member Posts: 728

Nope, devs won't do anything about it because they see it as "player retention" mechanic which I suppose it is....I mean it's ######### but it is a mechanic.

• Kalec84
  • kodiaky
    kodiaky Member Posts: 51

Many New players will leave this game as soon as they see how much they have to grind.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142

Same situation. I'm an author and many of my fans know I play things like Overwatch, DbD, and other games.

And whenever asked, I have to honestly recommend against them jumping into DbD for the reasons you mentioned.

• ShadowsVale
    ShadowsVale Member Posts: 61

Just recently did that myself (except I'm coming from PS4), I'd love to get cross-progression one day. I had all perks on 1 survivor, and 1 killer. Almost had 2 other killers done as well, almost 5 devotion levels.....and then my PC account is under level 25.......I'm working at it none the less.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

If the devs are working on it or even thinking about working on it, they sure aren’t saying anything about it. It’s very sad that they are focusing on things like this proposed auto-ban system which is addressing a very small problem that already has multiple solutions in place, while ignoring a giant problem that makes the game miserable for current players and a huge turn-off for new players, and is constantly complained about on forums.

At minimum they should remove perk tiers, which exist for literally no reason other than to force you to grind more. This is something I see proposed constantly on the forums -have the devs said anything about it even if it’s “no, we’re not going to make a change to perk tiers”?

Another nice change would be to take a look at item/offering usage and eliminate the items and add- ons that barely get used (I’m sure there are plenty given the large number of useless items/add-ons) and then make the blood webs smaller or reduce the BP cost for everything. The grind is absolutely ridiculous

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Member Posts: 213

DBD also have a progressive grind system which is really dumb.

An example: 2 years ago there were like 30 survivors and killers in the game. So with the release of each new character you had to level up only 30 characters in order to give them additional perks from the new DLC. Today we have 47 characters in the game, so with the release of the Resident Evil Chapter you will have to grind on 47 different characters already to get them all full perk.

This stupid grind system is also the reason why I dont recommend the game to anybody.

You just can't create viable builds to be competitive and to have fun without a good amount of meta perks. Dont wanna get tunneled? Need DS from Laurie. Want have some blood points? Need Barbecue from leatherface. Searching for a good supplement for a locker build? You need Nancy's innter strength.

Its not even about the cost. You can literally buy all DLC for 40-60 USD / Euro in retail or steam sale. Most Characters are even playable without real money, because you can unlock them for shards. But the amount of time you have to spend to unlock all teachable perks on all characters you wish is just insane.

Most people want to enjoy the game in the moment they play it, not 1000 hours later.

• kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 616

I agree. Get rid of tier 1 and 2 perks completely. Also remove the 1 million cap. Also get rid of the web, let us buy perks one at a time, and let us buy what we want in daily limited amounts. This would get people to play more daily and also limit the more valuable sought after items. It would also allow people to stop wasting blood on items that are utterly worthless.

• Pat00tSack
    Pat00tSack Member Posts: 72

I used to want to be able to get rid of items/add-ons/offerings and stuff that I'd never use for a small fraction of the bloodpoints I spent for them just for decluttering reasons, but thinking about it, I really would like that to help with the grind as well. I only have like one friend to play this game with and I'm torn between trying to get others I know to get it and suffer the grind or playing alone, and as a survivor, that's straight up masochism.