I feel like ruin should deactivate after a certain amount of time or something

potatogamer
potatogamer Member Posts: 27
edited May 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

Ruin is a good perk imo, it's good for killers that need a stall and are good at defending gens. The thing that gets annoying about it is when you find a killer that is good at defending gens but not so good at looping. It just makes the game super boring. I just had like a 30 minute game that easily could've been around 10ish minutes just because he was so good at defending his gens and ruin was nowhere to be found, must've been in his three gen, it was doctor btw so you know he could protect that area without trying. He didn't get a hook until about 10 minutes in but the game just kept going on and on because he had a three gen he was protecting and I assume ruin was in it. Ruin in the late stages of the game makes it boring and there should be some way to get around it. Maybe have it deactivate after a certain time or have the totem light up or something, it just makes games boring if it lasts too long,

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250

The way around it is to cleanse. If cleansing is an issue then run totem perks or use a map.

Having hex perks simply deactivate kind of takes away their purpose. They are high risk high reward and if they just sputtered out, in say 5 min, or could be cleansed there would be no real reason to run them.

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

It literally has a deactivation element already.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 572

Bring Small Game and then all your games will have no Hex perks (because the killer didn't bring any). Very consistent for me until I take it off, I swear.

I disagree with it deactivating but I definitely think it's way too powerful and synergizes with other perks too well. It really feels like a coin flip perk that either just passively wins you the game or you play with 3 perks from near the beginning.

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054

Small game is god send in most matches too though. Just in case the killer has NOED.

• RyRapsYT
    RyRapsYT Member Posts: 299

no

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054

Ruin is the only consistent gen perk that works well at regressing generators. Surge is good also, but it only works with m1 based killers. Pop is literally more of a time waster than it actually helps considering you have to literally run to the gen to shave off 25 seconds when you could've literally took a chase and got another down in that time frame. Oppression is pretty useless also along with overcharge. Corrupt synergizes well with ruin, but ruin usually is gone in the first 2 minutes of the game. Run small game with inner strength. It's a super good combo together, but finding totems in general isn't hard.

• Kate_Main_01
    Kate_Main_01 Member Posts: 504

I have to disagree with anything that automatically takes away a hex. Perk slots are super valuable for either side and it would be unfair to have any perk simply expire because of time. I could see that being abused far too easily - it would not be hard at all to just hide in lockers for five minutes to ride Ruin out.

This is a matter of opinion but I actually really like having to interact with the Killer in an 'unusual' way by hunting down the hex totem. It can be really challenging on these new maps (new to me, at least!) but it is nice to break up the gameplay sometimes. I only wish the devs would bring back fog on the maps because sometimes searching for the hex totem in dead zones is total suicide now. But c'est la vie! 😅

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616
    edited May 2021

You can deactivate it by cleansing totems, equip small game and/or detective's hunch.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

"Maybe have it deactivate after a certain time or have the totem light up or something"

Light up? The way it actually is from the beginning of the match? Deactivate -- as in you actually look for it and cleanse it?

This ... this has to be bait, right?

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,065

Ruin does deactivate after a certain amount of time, unless none of your teammates know what they're doing or you're on Midwich and nobody brought a map. In the situations where Ruin doesn't get cleansed, it's often because the killer already dominated the hell out of the game and Ruin may not have made a difference to the outcome, or gens got done anyway and nobody felt the need to go and look for it.

Others have already said that Ruin already has a deactivation clause and doesn't need another, but there's a few things wrong with your proposed scenario why this is necessary.

If the killer is guarding a 3-gen... no matter what, 4 survivors will always win a 3-gen scenario eventually. Which you did. Either the killer goes and chases one of them, allowing the others to do the gens, or he can't commit and survivors dipping in and out of range win his battle to kick the gens they're working on by attrition. And there's going to be 4 survivors if the killer is bad at chases and drops them super quickly to return to the area he wants to protect.

Ruin removes a step from the gen-kicking battle and makes a 3-gen way more viable. Except... Ruin never lasts in a 3-gen unless survivors let it. If the killer has Ruin and is fiercely guarding 3 gens, he can't pressure anyone who's going around the map doing totems, which is what several survivors should be doing. Look for Ruin. If Ruin spawns within his 3-gen, you're in a rougher spot, but you can deal with this by having everyone else pile on the farthest gen while he harasses one or two people trying to cleanse Ruin.

I can't stress this enough - if a killer is guarding a 3-gen and has Ruin, and there's no gen that's nearly done, abandon the 3-gen for the moment and go and fund Ruin. Either you get the totem for free because the killer can't follow you there, or the killer leaves his 3-gen after it's clear everyone is totem hunting, and people can slip back in and start doing gens.

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

Do bones or go home.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

It deactivates after cleansing hex totem. You know, that one you often spawn right next to

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,978

I don't think an automatic deactivation would be healthy, if a killer is placing a large amount of gen pressure and getting survivors off the gens, then good on them...because Ruin is only really rewarding to the killers that have the skills to do that. As a survivor if this is happening, and the gens are not getting done, I'll try to find the totem if I know I'm not going to get the generator completed - and this is Ruin doing what it's designed to do, slow the game down.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546

There's this cool thing called B O N E S that you can do

• OniHatesSWF
    OniHatesSWF Member Posts: 85

Do bones.

• VioletCrimes
    VioletCrimes Member Posts: 878

Ruin is annoying, but I run Detective’s Hunch. As soon as the first gen pops, I’m after the totems that aura in.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,237

Ruin already deactivates when you cleanse it's Hex totem.

This can happen within 20 seconds of the game starting, so...

• potatogamer
    potatogamer Member Posts: 27

I am ready to admit I had a poor opinion and was salty about a recent game at the time lol