About the new models.

Options
CriticalWeasel
CriticalWeasel Member Posts: 378
edited July 2021 in General Discussions

I cannot really see why people think the new models are worse.

I always found the old models kind of odd, especially when they "open" their eyes more.

Maybe just nostalgia glasses.

Not only the hair looks better, (Why does Feng have a weird shadow effect over her eyes https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1402344052859809797/photo/1) They show more detail.

I didn't like how half of them either looked like they just got out of bed or are just tweakers.

But my biggest gripe in the moment is WHERE IS THE Quentin Smith face rework!

Jk I know he's in lawsuit hell.

Edit: Quentin got his face rework, good lord it's thrice the improvement.

Post edited by CriticalWeasel on

Comments

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,554
    Options

I don’t think the Nightmare on Elm Stress license is still in lawsuit hell, is it?

they at least got the rights for the newer platforms recently. It’s just that the license owners are certainly not as easy to work with as others (just an assumption based on the available cosmetics..)

• CriticalWeasel
    Options

If he wasn't in lawsuit hell we would of already gotten cosmetics and a facial rework.

• A_Skinny_Legend
    A_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 919
    Options

Ikr they're so pretty. Hopefully it stays that way in game because you know how some survivors look alright in lobby and in their pictures but then in game they're ugly.

• Mooks
    Options

But then we wouldn’t have gotten him on Switch and the other newer platforms.

but we only got that late 2020. maybe (hopefully) cosmetics are actually on their way.. or the license holder just doesn’t want their characters to be presented with other cosmetics…

• knight_killer
    knight_killer Member Posts: 54
    Options

They look worse, their hair looks really bad and unnatural. It also looks like they aren't prebaking lighting on characters anymore so everyone just looks awfully pale. You also can't tell me David looks better can you?

• ManWithALemon
    ManWithALemon Member Posts: 422
    Options

I think that the only model that's a straight upgrade is Jake. Everyone else is just the same with a smoother, cleaner face that has less grit and character, or they're... shudders new David. Eugh.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

It's cause people can't read:

The models are ALL Work-In-Progress, meaning there's be very likely different textures in the end, refined meshes etc. But people act as if these models are final

• CriticalWeasel
    Options

To me he actually does, he looks more like a real person. The hair is an massive improvement.

Tell me did you actually zoom in on the old hair, do you realize how crusty it looks.

• tikcus
    tikcus Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2021
    Options

Feng min's new face is a nightmare

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939
    edited July 2021
    Options

Quentin's face got a rework.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyMSyWSZ5XQ

David, Tapp, Adam, Ace just look like refined versions of the old face

Dwight, Meg, Claudette look refined but a bit better. Features are evened out, eyes less buggy, jaws better aligned.

Nea they just seemed to take the character out of her and make her generic cute girl.

Quentin, Laurie and Jake HUGE step forward. They all look so much better.

Feng and Kate, though they look a lot more refined as well, they did not managed to keep their faces true to form. Feng's lower face is off. Before her face was more rounded with a softer jaw, and now her mandible is too far forward. Her lips have been thinned out tremendously, and her mouth is not only too wide but too far down from her nose. In that way, they gave her more masculine features and sucked the fat out of her cheeks giving her a harder look. Though her hair looks much more detailed, better colours, they got the shape wrong. I think people liked the volume at the crown of her head. Now it's like slicked and going out like a triangle, making the top of her head too small instead of a classic bob.

In the below pic of Feng, if you gave her a haircut like Dwight, I'd have a difficult time knowing if she was male or female (aside from the neck down lol).

Kate, though I'm glad they too the shell-shocked look out of her eye, they somehow managed to make her look like a really angry chipmunk.

JUST MUH OPINIONZ.

• Mooks
    Options

Watch the date of the OP, at that point Quentin wasn’t even confirmed to get a rework.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939
    Options
  • PsychoTron
    PsychoTron Member Posts: 348
    Options

they made feng look like a dude, not cool my cute feng.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Some of them are good some are not

• Mistikus
    Mistikus Member Posts: 1,347
    Options

im still trying to get over angry rat face kate i lost my mant they i spend big amound of mony buying all skins, so yeah i feel a bit splaed in face, but at the other hand now i know in witch game not to put anymore money

• PsychoTron
    PsychoTron Member Posts: 348
    Options

yea they gave kate a bucktooth lulz, and made her look older in a bad way

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

They butchered my feng :(

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,691
    Options

Most of the updates are neutral or positive, but some characters' vibes got changed around and people are understandably unhappy about this. Feng looks manlier, Kate looks angery, David looks a bit derpy, and Ace's new facial rig smirk leaves a lot to be desired.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

I will burn this Fog down, before I spend another minute dealing with these changes.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

For me some of them are now suffering from

bad face proportions. Whether it’s a nose being too big, Feng looking like she has an underbite, Dwight ‘s hair looking like he is wearing got2bglued, Kate looking like she has bunny teeth, etc.

The other obvious problem is that the face animations don’t seem to have been rigged for the newer models, so on Dwight (as an example) you see his eyes which are now smaller bulging out with the same animation as before and looking out of place.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

I just think some of the older models have a cute charm to them. Feng looks kind of weird but for some reason I think she's a lot cuter than her new model. Same with Claudette. Everyone else is fine tho.

However I will miss the old goblin Quentin...

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,193
    Options

They "open" their eyes more

Is because of their iris are too small (especially Kate). But when it come to others, they lose their character

I highly believe they didnt improve anything on Yui, but enlarge her iris, and losing her eye animation, make her eyes looking non-directive

• rita_book
    rita_book Member Posts: 43
    Options

It was a gamble to try and update the models.

Humans are wired to learn people's facial features so we can tell them apart. Other animals use smell. So when those features are changed, even slightly, we immediately notice.

I am a Dweet (Dwight) main. I only play Dweet. I adore him and buy every single outfit for him the day it releases. The new model looks like an entirely different character.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,998
    Options

also she looks pissed af which goes against every part of her personality

• ZonkyWizard
    ZonkyWizard Member Posts: 568
    Options

I just want the face reworks to hurry up. I wanna see it in-game already.

• CriticalWeasel
    Options

The only one problem I have is Feng's jawline, it's strangely chiseled lmao.

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052
    Options

I don't really understand the logic behind some of the changes, but the bulk of the problems I've noticed come down to textures. The meshes themselves are generally the same shapes, or similar. But the textures make a huge difference, like we saw with David's rework between reveal and launch.

I don't mind the new ones for the characters I like and play as, so it's no skin off my nose. RIP to everyone else though.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025
    Options

All of them except David and Kate are really good IMO