The huge issue of camping/tunneling

The past week or so i've noticed that every single killer i come across loves to camp and tunnel. Its part of the game yes, but it ruins the survivor experience. Now i'm not complaining about the actual camping and whatnot, but what i do think needs to happen is a severe punishment to the bloodpoints of the camping killer.....like removing a percentage of their blood points for every 20 seconds they camp. I know this probably won't be received well, but it will make it much more fun for survivors and will punish campers as they should be punished.

Comments

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    edited December 2018

Yeah, lets force killers to give survivors free unhooks.
    Hey, lets let them be in healthy state when they get off the hook, too. Make extra sure that the killer HAS to chase and hit everyone twice all the time so they get cost valuable time.

Edit: Urgh. Seeing how powerful survivors are getting this is probably the next perk, or going to get added to one.

• Malakir
    Malakir Member Posts: 799
    DW dude, after the new patch camping would be even more common if it makes it in the live servers as it is now
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775

@Malakir said:
    DW dude, after the new patch camping would be even more common if it makes it in the live servers as it is now

Yeah. Killers will have way more to worry about.

"Well, lets hook this guy, and see what BBQ says.... And I see no one. Are they all here, or are they all aura blocking? The new solid generator auras... is that someone by one across the map? Nah."
    "Geez, are they going to have the improved borrowed time?"
    "They're going to use that perk that breaks the hook on rescue, huh?"

"Well, I saw no one with BBQ. Bet they'll have that improved borrowed time. I'll have to hit them twice no matter what. And they may break my hook if they rescue. Is there a hook I can use near by?... gosh. Better camp."

To say the least. I don't know what the game plan is here. They broke one of the strongest anti-camping perks, and offered up ways to absolutely punish a killer for allowing an unhook.

• DarkGGhost
    DarkGGhost Member Posts: 1,072

@Rebel_Raven dudu you don't know survivors are the "week" so they need OP perks to counter brain, Killers are OP so they have to nerf them but they do it with perks.

• ThirdSealOPplzNerf
    ThirdSealOPplzNerf Member Posts: 360
    edited December 2018

@painboots said:
    The past week or so i've noticed that every single killer i come across loves to camp and tunnel. Its part of the game yes, but it ruins the survivor experience. Now i'm not complaining about the actual camping and whatnot, but what i do think needs to happen is a severe punishment to the bloodpoints of the camping killer.....like removing a percentage of their blood points for every 20 seconds they camp. I know this probably won't be received well, but it will make it much more fun for survivors and will punish campers as they should be punished.

Another survivor crying because killers don't follow their made up of trying their hardest not too kill the surviors rules just sad and pathetic and devs still go survivor sided.

• milo77727
    milo77727 Member Posts: 44
    Agreed. It seems every game I play especially among rank 4-8 is all camping and tunneling killers. Not bbq killers who know someone is near but an insidious face camper who downs the person the second they're off hook or a killer who abandons a chase with an injured survivor the second someone is pulled off hook.
    However there is a small penalty that doesn't stop anyone from doing it. 

Yes I play killer too however I don't need to camp or tunnel to get kills. 
  • Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

the problem is, that literally every other playstyle has eigther been nerfed into the ground by the devs (e.g. slugging) or simply does not pay off.
    this is caused due to an issue we all know as "genrush". killers will try to patrol a hook and secure the kill on one survivor, instead of switching to a fresh one, as this means that there is one less person repairing the gens, while they can actually go and hunt normally. this is even something i tend to do, when i play a weaker killer, or when the gens start popping faster than i could ever hinder the survivors from it. i eliminate one, and the game slows down drastically.

and since you mentioned a penalize in the campers BP gain, 2 things on that:
    first off, in my opinion punishing killers for camping is not the way this game should go. instead, reward them for not camping. just something that actually makes it worth for a killer to go after the rescuer, instead of the rescued. maybe the hook should penalyze the survivor with a mangled effect and tremendously reduce his actionspeed (unless self healing, as this has already been reduced by the mangled effect). that way, the killer could focus on the rescuer, as they know the rescued one will spend hours trying to patch himself back together instead of working on a gen. or he will go to a team mate, so there is now 2 less survivors on gens.
    and secondly, i have made the maths and campers get way less BP than someone whe rehooks his prey:

i have just recently made a post about the killers sacrifice BP gain and think it deserved some more reads honestly... felt like it kinda went down in all the "OP threats".
    however, have a nice day!

• painboots
    painboots Member Posts: 5

@AlwaysInAGoodShape said:
    @painboots

Stop unhooking survivors and the killers will stop camping.

So, let all the survivors get one hooked then? How about no. And camping doesn't mean in your face. It means staying REALLY close, heartbeat close, so they can tunnel you when you get unhooked. Its stupid, it ruins the survivor experience, and it destroys immersion. Killer mains will always cry about something, thats just who they are, but intentionally camping like that needs mega severe consequences.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@painboots said:

@painboots

So, let all the survivors get one hooked then? How about no. And camping doesn't mean in your face. It means staying REALLY close, heartbeat close, so they can tunnel you when you get unhooked. Its stupid, it ruins the survivor experience, and it destroys immersion. Killer mains will always cry about something, thats just who they are, but intentionally camping like that needs mega severe consequences.

Stop rewarding camping if you know it's happening. Camping can already have "mega severe consequences", if you're willing to stop trying to ignore the Killer and start thinking about how to counter them.

• painboots

@Orion said:

@painboots said:

@painboots

Stop rewarding camping if you know it's happening. Camping can already have "mega severe consequences", if you're willing to stop trying to ignore the Killer and start thinking about how to counter them.

Sure, let me just get away from this nurse....oh wait, you can't. Let me get away from this billy, oh wait, you can't.

• Orion

@painboots said:

@Orion said:

@painboots said:

@painboots

Sure, let me just get away from this nurse....oh wait, you can't. Let me get away from this billy, oh wait, you can't.

So they're not camping, they're actively chasing you. Thanks for playing.

• painboots

@Orion said:

@painboots said:

@Orion said:

@painboots said:

@painboots

Do you even understand what you're saying? lol. I get hook and the INSTANT i'm unhooked they are RIGHT back on me. Yup, "actively chasing" Thanks for playing, try again next time!

• Orion

@painboots said:

@Orion said:

@painboots said:

@Orion said:

@painboots said:

@painboots

Do you even understand what you're saying? lol. I get hook and the INSTANT i'm unhooked they are RIGHT back on me. Yup, "actively chasing" Thanks for playing, try again next time!

So they're not camping. If they were, you wouldn't have been rescued. Thanks for playing.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    AlwaysInAGoodShape Member Posts: 1,301

@painboots

So, let all the survivors get one hooked then? No. Make yourself unpredictable. Force him to the other side of the map and stop feeling so entitled to be rescued for every hooking-phase. If there's a survivor within 60 seconds at the hook every goddam time, then what even is the point in leaving at all.

You have control over where the killer is, or at least should be. If you aren't able to control his position or (if he refuses to respond appropriately) force him to lose the game, then you don't know how to play.

If he really does camp then you have the time to complete all generators.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

The killer camping actually benefits you more than it does him. You get to focus on gens. It's not fun, but that's not the point here is it? Tunnelling isn't a problem either. It's playing smart. Why should the killer follow your made-up rules that benefit you?

"Oh, they've just been unhooked. They're injured. I can down them in one hit. But that would be tunnelling and tunnelling is bad, so I better switch to the rescuer who has full health so the injured person can heal up." Sounds really dumb, right? This is how survivors sound when they complain about tunnelling.

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796
    edited December 2018
    I'll just leave this here: 
    https://youtu.be/-c3kz80t-Cc

It's an older video, when the cowshed was much more rediculous, but the points on camping still stand.
  • DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    edited December 2018
    How about instead of attacking a bare bone and unfun mechanic, we build upon it. I think it goes without saying that everyone pretty much hates the current mechanic of camping and tunnelong. It may help new killers and to secure points but comes across as very inactive and not enjoyable. So lets changed that mechanic and actually build up on it and turn it into a minigame of itself something that's actually fun and engaging for both sides something that requires skill. Stop asking for safety and lets make it better on both sides.
  • Malakir
    Malakir Member Posts: 799
    How about instead of attacking a bare bone and unfun mechanic, we build upon it. I think it goes without saying that everyone pretty much hates the current mechanic of camping and tunnelong. It may help new killers and to secure points but comes across as very inactive and not enjoyable. So lets changed that mechanic and actually build up on it and turn it into a minigame of itself something that's actually fun and engaging for both sides something that requires skill. Stop asking for safety and lets make it better on both sides.
    We should work on incentives to leave the hook but devs prefer punishing it like the new changes you can see in the ptb, nerfing the incentives to leave the hook and punish these behaviors with BT buffs. 

Soon these things would be even more common. instead of adding bonus on fresh hooks and punish farming survivors they do the opposite
  • DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Currently the only reason we are seeing punishments and lack of incentives is because of our community. To many call out that they want nothing like this in the game. Which in its current form I can agree, but this can still change. If something is not working we should focus on making it entertaining and not its banishment. Just cause camping sucks doesn't mean it can't be turned into a fun and engaging part of the game. Its up to us to voice reasonable changes and concerns, not review bomb any aspect that launches subpar in our eyes.
  • Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

@DemonDaddy said:
    Currently the only reason we are seeing punishments and lack of incentives is because of our community. To many call out that they want nothing like this in the game. Which in its current form I can agree, but this can still change. If something is not working we should focus on making it entertaining and not its banishment. Just cause camping sucks doesn't mean it can't be turned into a fun and engaging part of the game. Its up to us to voice reasonable changes and concerns, not review bomb any aspect that launches subpar in our eyes.

Two big problems that attribute to killers camping are that Gen progression is extremely fast especially when survivors have toolboxes at their disposal. Four survivors with worn-out tools makes for a quick game. Gens get done quickly, and you typically only manage to get one person dead on hook. The other reason is looping. Getting looped around pallets, window vaults and other objects is extremely unfun and frustrating. I'm not saying survivors should be an easy kill for killers, but they shouldn't be rewarded for trolling the killer either.

• Youkari
    Youkari Member Posts: 53

i made a suggestion post "changing the core mechanics of Gen speed and hooks" where i propose a rework of the core mechanic, wich is focused on rewarding the killer already if he downed people and slugging becomes a objective again, as well if the killer patrols and interrupts gens become more rewarding as it regress the survivor progress more effizient without making either side too OP. the core gameplay won't change but the way it goes around may. check it and say ur opinion. and sorry i advertise my thread on someone elses but writing and explaining everything again in a comment section of a slightly different section is bit annoying for me

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@painboots said:

@painboots

What should a killer do instead?
    Walk to the other side of the map, get nothing done and lose all the pressure he has applied?

Tell me what other possibilities we have at the moment.

• rafajsp
    rafajsp Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2018

"Oh, they've just been unhooked. They're injured. I can down them in one hit. But that would be tunnelling and tunnelling is bad, so I better switch to the rescuer who has full health so the injured person can heal up."

You describe my gameplay and style, thanks.
    I give my survivors the best/fun experience by having a chance to do a totem, a generator, a chest, save the friend, heal. Not acting like a scum just to prove to the lobby that i'm THE KILLER.
    But that's just me.
    And yes ... im rank 1 and could literally do 4k almost every game. (Console is really easy to play killer)
    The real issue is some people need to discount on someone the frustration of their lives. That's happens on other games aswell.

• apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245
    edited December 2018

I play killer a lot more, but when I play as a survivor, do I hate tunneling and camping? Just as much as anyone else. The urge to leave the match is very much there, but I was told the rules before I went into the match and somewhere along the way I fkd up. As soon as I'm hooked, I see it as having lost the match, unless a teammate unhooks me. When they do, I'm happy to have a second chance. But I don't blame the killer for their chosen strategy, claiming "they made my experience bad" because, really, I made my experience bad by doing something stupid that got me hooked. Anyone who thinks that their enjoyment from a video game is out of their control is in denial.

Complaining about camping and tunneling is like killers complaining about survivors being able to 360, or heal themselves.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688

Yeah it's definitely increased recently.

Every game has camping but I've never seen it on this level. When it starts to happen in the majority of games it really ruins the game. I can't play solo survivor anymore for this reason. So unless friends are online and wanting to play DBD over say PUBG then I've only got half a game to play now - the Killer side.

• milo77727
    milo77727 Member Posts: 44
    In the end camping is completely ineffective unless its game end and no ed is active. (Even then I refuse to do so)
    It takes more time for a person on hook to die than for a gen to finish. Survivors can finish 4 generators while that 1 person is hooked. That's no including any progress completed during the chase of that first survivors or the time it takes after for a killer to find another person.
    If you run BBQ then once you hook someone go to another. That's 2 people off gens and a third when someone goes to save. A lot of times when it's not swf both people not being chased start running for person on hook. By not camping you can halt gen work and get more kills.
    I saw one person on here say that you can just have the killer chase you away from person on hook but more times than not a camper will stay in proximity no matter what.
    Tunneling is understandable (still refuse to do it) when you werent purposely going for them but they run into you. (At that point they cant blame you) Or its end game. All the time I see killers tunnel t huh ost survivors to the point that they could have another killer run in front of them and they will just go around not caring.
    If your excuse is that it gets you kills then rethink that.