As a new player... I dont understand this community or this game

Luckyz17
Luckyz17 Member Posts: 34

So as someone who is new to this game, I am noticing a few things about killers. They really all play like they will honestly become Esports famous from slugging and camping, and since I noticed this games matchmaking is hot garbage, new players really have no chance.

A few things that I honestly think could benefit this game are to pause a hook's damage if a killer camps you on said hook. I understand that survivors could camp the hook as well luring the killer closer to pause the kill, but that also leaves you open to being killed yourselves.

Damage? It makes no sense in this game. 1 hit and you are either crawling, or slowed. I can see possibly being hooked once and then being slow, or being hit 2-3 times and being slowed. But 1? What is that? Also, do killers inherently move faster? or does it just seem as such?

Comments

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

Killers do move faster, but getting hit by a killer gives you a burst of speed. Really at the start it's a lot easier for killers, but as you rank up with survivor you start meeting people that can carry the game. It's all about risk management and a roll of the dice. Surviving is a team effort, but pipping or winning is on you individually. Just because you get sacrificed doesn't mean you lost.

To understand the community, well, here's how I feel as killer.

My friend, you have met a terrible, terrible demise. But, uh, y'know, I-I don't feel too bad about it. After all, if...if it weren't from me, it would've just been from someone else, y'know? I guess what I'm trying to say is, life...life goes on. W-well, from—for everyone else, life goes on. Not...not for you. You're...you're dead.

But that's neither here nor there. It reminds me of one summer day in the park. I was having just a delightful picnic with my good friend Orville. And I said to him, I said, 'Orville, I...I have a story.' And he said to me, 'What's the significance of the story?' And...I said to him, 'Orville, not every story has to have significance, y'know? Sometimes, a...y'know, sometimes, a story's just a story. You try to read into every little thing, and find meaning in everything anyone says, you'll just drive yourself crazy. Had a friend do it once. Wasn't pretty.

We talked about it for years. And then not only that, but...you'll likely end up believing something you shouldn't believe, thinking something you shouldn't think, o-o-or assuming something you shouldn't assume. Y'know? Sometimes,' I said, 'a story is-is just a story, so just be quiet for one second of your life and eat your sandwich, okay?' Of course, it was only then I'd realized I'd made sandwiches, and...poor Orville was having such difficulty eating it! Elephants have those clumsy hands, y'know? Actually, I-I suppose that's the problem. They don't have hands at all, do they? They're f—they're all feet! And I-I couldn't imagine anyone asking me to eat a sandwich with my feet. Now, if I recall correctly, there was a bakery nearby. I said to him, 'Orville, let me go get you some rye bread.' Now, I'm unsure if elephants enjoy rye bread, but I assure you that Orville does. Now, this was on a Tuesday, which was good, because rye bread was always fresh on Tuesday. They made sourdough bread on Monday, and threw it out Wednesday... Or rather, they sold it at a discount for people wanting to feed it to the ducks, and then, prob'ly at the end of the day, finally, they threw it all out. I-I don't recall.

I do remember a man who would bring his son to the bakery every Wednesday, and...then go feed the ducks. He would buy all of the sourdough bread. Of course, y'know, you're not supposed to feed the ducks sourdough bread at all. It swells up in their stomach, and then they all die. At, uh, at least...at least, that's what I've heard. Y'know, I-I never saw any ducks die myself, but I did notice a substantial decrease in the duck population over the course of a few years. I just never thought to stop the man and tell him that he was killing the ducks by feeding them sourdough bread! And if you want my opinion on the matter—heh, and I told Orville this as well—if you wanna feed ducks, or birds of any kind, for that matter, it's best to buy seed. I mean, when you think about it, breads of any sort don't occur in nature. They don't grow on trees o-or spring up from the bushes. I don't think birds know what to do with bread. What was I saying? Oh oh, yes yes. So I bought Orville some rye bread. What a fine day it was.

Anyway to make a long story short, the more you play the better you get. Try to soak in the horror atmosphere and enjoy it while you can. When you stop being scared it becomes a lot sillier.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

What are you talking about? When did they try any of the things he mentioned?

• Luckyz17

I did mention that I figured it would be, but there are ways to implement it. The killer has the option of, you know... killing and slugging if they just so choose so I dont understand why the survivors should not have an option of playing just as toxic since all of these killers like to play this way.

• Luckyz17

how did they abuse it exactly? I see no such real way unless poorly coded an anti-camping method can be abused by people who can literally do no damage

• Luckyz17

my suggestion is to simply fix the camping issue. as a new player, I can tell when someone is camping, and camping honestly is fun to no one but the killer.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

Timer once went from 45 to 60 seconds, if a killer camped they had no way to win unless they were good or above.

The change to 60 seconds was the worst thing they did since it took away pressure since they had 15 extra seconds to do gens, I believe it was before ruin was even a thing.

That person said abused but it wasn't really abused it only took away pressure.

Since you are new I assume your teammates are usually hiding and not punishing the killer for camping, when you rank up you will find players who are really good, that will punish killers for doing stuff like that.

Anyways, abusing stuff is something both sides were doing, I remember the exhaustion bug (after the exhaustion change) while I wasn't a player I was a viewer back then but survivors abused bugs pretty often examples were well perk bugs, there was a bug that allowed you to do everything 15% faster if you had wake up for example, killers abused the recently hill bug and no stun bug.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Unless I'm misremembering, the hook timer was never 45 seconds, unless you mean it was 45 seconds per phase (so 90 seconds total).

• Luckyz17

another thing I really dont understand is I guess slugging. What is the point in making the game completely un-playable for whoever by constantly going around and downing everyone then circling around camping those who are down?

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270
  • deckyr
    deckyr Member Posts: 795

it really feels like you need to learn to have fun while not winning.

i'm sorry to say it, but it's true. dbd is a lot more fun when you can recognise a good game while losing it.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Nothing has changed about why this was a bad idea. The same problems are still there.

• xOMNISCIENTx
    xOMNISCIENTx Member Posts: 64

Red rank killers shouldn't have yellow ranks in their lobbies. especially a rank 20

• MissKitty95
    MissKitty95 Member Posts: 786
  • Another_LegionMain
    Another_LegionMain Member Posts: 399

Welcome to DbD, I am your local Legion Main. I apologise if you were camped by other low rank killers, they do like to sweat, but Killers lose points if they face camp the hook. Also, when a Survivor gets hit they get a burst of speed and the killer has a 2 (or 3) second cooldown.

About the community, we all hate eachother and blame the other side for our problems or want to see the world burn.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

Yeah, sorry my bad, I forgot to say that or well type that, thanks for pointing that out, appreciate it.

The point of slugging is to make pressure as killer, as long as someone is down even if they are not hooked another survivor will have to come for them unless they bring soul guard (if they have a hex only or if you as a survivor are cursed which is the little triangle that appears on the right side of your screen) another one is no mither which is a really bad perk and the other one is unbreakable which let's yourself be picked up from the ground once, you could say that adrenaline also works but it is harder since the survivors do need to finish all gens.

Some people slug for the pressure, some just do it to be annoying, there are also killers whose power is to slug basically, killers like nurse, oni, billy, myers (to a certain degree), twins, those killers have powers that allows them to down fast and snowball.

Just remember that not every killer slugs with the intention of being an ass, some do it for the pressure.

• Luckyz17
    edited June 2021

I have played league since beta, i am used to losing and dont mind it. I am aware I am new but also the game feels fundamentally flawed with a heavy swing in a killers favor in these lower ranked lobbies. Between constant slugging or camping / annoying killers to the D/C players who legit quit once hooked. The game just itself, isnt fun. To try and tell someone "learn to think the game is fun when its constant losses" is pretty garbage lol.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Here's some numbers:

Survivors move at 4.0m/s, also known as 100% ms (movement speed). This speed doesnt change whether or not you are Healthy or Injured. When you are hit, you move at 6.0 m/s (150% ms) for 2.5 seconds while the killer goes through a 3 second cooldown where they are practically stationary.

Most killers move at 4.6m/s (115% ms) and have a 32m Terror Radius. This speed allows them to play tiles normally, what's referred to as "basic m1 killer". They move just quick enough that, if you make a mistake while looping a tile, they can catch you if the killer is good enough and you don't have any second chance perks left.

Some killers with powerful abilities move at 4.4 m/s (110 ms) and have a 24m TR. They cannot play tiles normally and, rare circumstances notwithstanding, have to use their powers in order to down you because that loss of 0.2 m/s is actually quite significant when it comes to playing tiles, though it has little impact on the rest of the game.

The reason killers move faster than survivors is, well, so they can actually catch them. Right now, one of the most effective things to do as a Survivor is to run in a straight line, because it takes around 30 seconds just for the killer just to catch up. When survivors instantly throw pallets when they get to them without even trying to play the tile, it becomes impossible to win unless the team just isn't repairing the generators. This kind of gameplay is essentially the survivors equivalent of camping and tunneling, and is why camping and tunneling are so prevalent. It takes one to beat the other, is essentially the problem.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

i think the injured run animation feels sluggish, thats probs why they feel like it is...

• Lemoniax
    Lemoniax Member Posts: 32

Well...to me you sound like someone who'll never get into this game. I suggest you just stop playing honestly. That seems pretty harsh but I know dbd certainly isn't for everyone. And according to your comments, you don't have fun playing it at all. And what's the point in playing something you don't have fun with.

• twocansofbean
    twocansofbean Member Posts: 200
    edited June 2021

This game will always have camping. And you gotta accept that this game is not a competitively viable game it just wasn't built for that.

If you stomp a killer too hard as survivor. They will camp.

Gonna be honest though as much as it suck to be a survivor. Getting your ######### kicked in as killer is much worse. It's a hell experience with everyone t bag at every pallet stun and clicking their flash lights at you.

I quit dbd at this point. Solo queue isn't fun cause uncoordinated teammates are frustrating. And as killer if I win people always gotta be mean in end game chat saying I don't deserve the win. Then when I lost recently trying nurse for the first time they talked ######### there also. Making fun of me.

I don't think anyone has fun in this game.

Lol I wanted to talk about camping they I started talk about how dbd just isn't fun

• Venzhas
    Venzhas Member Posts: 684

Yes, THERE ARE camping issues, stop deny it, i'm not a new player, always been solo Q and i faced it way too many times, still now 7 games on 10 in red ranks.

Yeah yeah "iTs a StRateGy" we know the song but how many times ive been camped to death at 5 gens, Really ? Stop giving excuses the killer because solos suffers too.

Camping, - such as tunnel , genrush swf comm etc - stays an issue , part of the gameplay but very unfair. It may have no solutions but thats a kind of issue thats make new players totally lose interest on this game and dont coming back, so denying it , its just ridiculous

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn
    FrndlyChnswSalzmn Member Posts: 705

Say it louder for the ones in the back, Orion.

Ah, a disciple from the Killers are Human Too movement. Careful, you know it isn't socially acceptable to expect that Killers be able to have fun and win.

Remember you said this when you are an experienced thousand-hour Survivor easily looping even the best Killers with four second chance perks. Remember that feeling of constantly losing when you're doing it to the Killer. Keep that same energy even then, so when they say 'hey this feels unfair' you should be the first one to call for changes. Okay?

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,295

To be fair, the only thing anyone's ever put up as a counter argument was that the anti-camping mechanism made camping inefficient.

Which... Is kinda the point.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn

No, it made camping impossible and forced Killers to just allow saves or lose and made it so Survivors could just loop the hook with no consequences. Why do you think that's fair?

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn

And there shouldn't be. It's on the Survivors to be aware of what's happening. You have tons of ways to keep track of the action. Bring a map instead of a medkit or toolbox. Run Object or Bond. Or just be an SWF on voice and eliminate the need for all that.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,236
    edited June 2021

As you'll find as you progress, with little experience, the newer player state of the game is very killer sided. However as you gain skill, rank up, and get paired with better survivors (and killers) it will become apparent how survivor sided the top tiers are.

The game has to be balanced for all levels of skill in mind, and that sweet middle spot is a bit of an elusive fantasy.

Killers who experience higher levels of play are forced to play harder and more efficiently to stand a chance against efficient survivor teams, which means when paired with lower skilled survivors, killers are still in this same mentality, and deploy harsh tactics like camping, slugging, etc.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

I don't get the "camping is boring" part and I play 90% survivor. I mean is doing gens fun? Or running the same loops over and over game after game? This is how the game is. If the killers is camping you ok be happy how much gen progress your team makes while killer have no gen pressure at all. Stop being selfish and just think about yourself, your teammates are making so much progress they can get out all three and you win the game even if you die.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

DBD has brought in a lot of new players thanks to resident evil, but now new players like yourself are starting to realize just how fundamentally broken this game is.

As you've already pointed out, the matchmaking is hot garbage and always has been. Not to mention this game does not function in the way it should since the developers are more focused on eye candy instead of optimization. The fact that BHVR had to pull the brand new resident evil map hours after going live is an embarrassment, and it's no doubt going to reflect on how less than forthcoming other game studios will be in the future when it comes to working with BHVR. Resident Evil is Capcom's most lucrative franchise, and the fact that it's getting such bad word of mouth and bad press thanks to DBD probably makes Capcom regret partnering with BHVR at all.

Sadly the only thing I can say is that you just need to get used to the game playing like s***. For five years now the player base has been asking for the game to run better, for the game to have better matchmaking, for there to be an offline practice mode so you're not sweating against high ranking survivors with Killers you've never played with before, and the list goes on and on. This can be a fun game to play with friends which is what keeps me coming back, but sadly not much else.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

Just use camaraderie, it pauses the timer for half a minute, allows your team to do more work.

That's the closest you'll ever get to the pause the timer on a hook. Other than that, I recommend looking up some tutorials on how to play. I had to when I started reaching high ranks. It gets stressful from time to time

• GrimmGaliard
    GrimmGaliard Member Posts: 258

Alright, that's too much. This is what finally made me make an account. The type of replies here, their bias and outright refusal to listen.

Hi, and welcome to Dbd btw, Lucky. I'd like to say I play Killer and Survivor both pretty regularly and have reached the top as both. When you've got friends and you're talking to each other, or become a really highly skilled Surv, you realize it's actually survivor sided. That's because "looping" is a thing and while I don't do it because I find it boring, horrible design and just unfun on both sides, some loops are literally impossible to be caught at unless you make a mistake.

Dunno how to quote multiple people properly yet, but are some of you freaking serious? Camping is absolutely a problem, especially if you're caught quickly. I assume you turned on the game to play, not sit staring at the killer on the hook. I agree it's selfish to off yourself or DC, but I honestly can't blame people because there is NOTHING fun about it.

To the people saying the hook idea has been tried already: Where exactly was the abuse wherein the timer returns to normal when a survivor is ALSO in the vicinity? This stops the abuse and gives the killer more incentive not to camp.

Sometimes, you can take being camped as a moment of pride, sure. But when it's 30 seconds into the game and you get surprised by a Tinkerer Bubba and face camped, that's not fun. Getting yanked off in front of the killer to immediately go down again, is not fun. This is a new player, this is the target audience developers are supposed to be appealing to. Telling them to just "git gud" or deal with it when it's blatantly NOT FUN is not how a game should operate.

• Sabraiz
    Sabraiz Member Posts: 566
    edited June 2021

Just like the killer has to constantly assume every survivor is running DS, Unbreakable, Dead Hard and brought the kitchen sink with them for good measure. That's part of the game, gathering information from what you are seeing in the match.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

timer goes back to normal = killer knows for a fact someone is around and camps while looking for them.

survivors already loop around the hook, which is worse for the hooked.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,295

No, it doesn't force killers to allow saves, you can still intercept. You just can't squat the hook anymore.

And if a survivor is looping you around the hook with 'no consequences', then they could loop you elsewhere where there would be the exact same consequences, with the one exception that there'll be 3 survivors working on gens as opposed to one of them dangling on the hook the entire time. The issue isn't the hook timer slowing, it's you getting looped for what is apparently 80+ seconds.

And all of that can be fixed by making the hook timer progress as normal when the killer is in a chase and for 10 seconds after it to cover spotty detection.

Fairness can factor into the wider picture. Loads of killers are complaining about high gen speeds, but nothing can be slowed down because any slowdown would be a direct and substantial buff to camping as a strategy. If camping is nerfed harshly enough, the game can be slowed down overall to give killers more breathing room.

Camping is holding the entire game hostage, not just that one sucker on the hook.

• MrDrMedicman
    MrDrMedicman Member Posts: 303

It's only "killer sided" in low ranks. once you sweat the survivor low ranks you get into bully squad territory and it falls apart there. MY advice is to get the dwight perk that let's you see your friend's auras. Very useful to avoid the killer.

• BlazePyron2
    BlazePyron2 Member Posts: 145

I will say that new players are absolutely shafted in this game. The matchmaking is abysmal and every time they try and fix it it just gets worse. The grind is punishing for new players, only a small part of getting better is actually based on skill, a lot of it is just getting the right perk builds. Certain survivor perks are the difference between an easy game and an impossible game.

Play David and always run "we're going to live forever" and then unlock it as a teachable for other survivors. Run perks like borrowed time and we'll make it to synnergize with wglf, and just work on grinding bloodpoints. If you want to play killer, get BBQ and chili asap to grind BP. The game is much more fun once you have options.

• Sabraiz
    Sabraiz Member Posts: 566
    edited June 2021

What you do and don't see or hear is ways to gather information.

Survivors used to wave their arms based on killer proximity on hook, but over time this has turned into them just waving their arms whenever, so that doesn't work anymore sadly.

Also, I have to wonder how I barely ever see any camping compared to every other survivor here? And no EGC "camping" doesn't count and neither does defending hook if survivors are seen going for the unhook, which happens a lot, and then they most often proceed to loop around the hook making it impossible for others to save.

• van9684
    van9684 Member Posts: 433

Killers are all much faster with insane lunge range. Most killer takes zero skill to play so killers start getting 4K games at rank 18 and only have to get better at red ranks.

While survivors have non game breaking anti tunnel perks, killers get perks that can take the game hostage and give them an even bigger advantage. You’ll see most running bbq, Noed, pop, and a random 4th. Lately the devs are reworking maps to improve the asthetic but also removing pallets and windows survivors use to loop. Plus more and more killers have range attacks now, so looping is getting harder. It’s a very killer sided game but sadly most forums and Reddit are full of red rank no lives who live to play dbd, and they’re the ones the devs hear from. That is why the game is so awful.

• van9684
    van9684 Member Posts: 433

See you can see here. You asked a question (op) and this response is all making excuses for bad behavior and one sided game fun. You’ll see replies like this most of the time on here.

• GrimmGaliard
    GrimmGaliard Member Posts: 258

Killer would only know that if he was already camping or if he could tell the timer was moving slower. Him going to find another survivor will at the very least stop the face camp. Literally nothing would change in that scenario.