Why Tunnelling is Problem, Genrush is not?

Options

Comments

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Not nececarilly, I've had solo teammates survive a tunneling cause i was ready with bond body blocks every so often. sometimes even going down for a dead hook survivor

Tunneling really wouldn't be that big of a problem if survivors actually tried to stop it.

• aroell
    aroell Member Posts: 477
    Options

You must be some god then, solo queue with non meta perks is unplayable

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

It doesn't, but personally I only consider it genrushing if it's actual genrushing. The legitimately uncounterable BS that gets the gates open in under 3 minutes (I think 2.40 is the current-meta lowest match length from spawn to last survivor out the gates?) that tournaments have multitudes of rules in place to prevent.

Nor does tunneling, really, but it's also not that effective a strategy against really good survivors. However it is a lot more prevalent and so is a bigger issue imo.

• aroell
    Options

Yeah, but nothing can be done until we get a proper matchmaking.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Here's hoping that MMR Actually works, then. It sounds sarcastic, but I genuinely would love to get 8-hook 0-k trials just because it's way more fun and chill. Every time I do that now, I get like 3 hooks and the game is over.

• BuddhaBing
    BuddhaBing Member Posts: 248
    Options

Tunneling and genrushing are only called toxic by people who can't accept that the other side wants to do the objective. They are excuses for losing and that's it.

You can't blame either the killer or the survivor for completing their objective efficiently.

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    Options

I don't have meta perks on survivors. most of my survivors have been prestiged, just started, or bloodweb won't give them to me and I'm still in red ranks playing solo and I only play survivor maybe 30% of my game time. Every once in a while I will have a 2nd but NGL I prefer solos better as long as I'm not on a hook......

• aroell
    Options

Solos are nice when you don’t get braindead teammates

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Why is every single one of your threads [killer good survivor bad]? Both playstyles are boring, this has been said a hundred billion times on here.

• chargernick85
    Options

At least not 3 of them. One sure but when you get 3 could be a terrible killer and it just does not matter when everyone hides and does nothing, or brings killer to gen/hook.

• Hektic3000
    Hektic3000 Member Posts: 674
    Options

On the flip side, What is Tunneling?

Killers have one objective and when they complete the objective, its unfair?

Killing survivors is not an issue and preventing killers from doing that isn't a good idea...

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719
    Options

Gen rush is seriously the silliest thing I've ever heard of, I even had a game yesterday where the survivors brought me to Ormond, and brought 2 BNPs and had the first gen done before I could get to the generator with Blight. And you know what, that's the only generator they got done.

You can't just win this game by completing gens quickly. The games that I lose tend to be against 4 solid survivors that don't make mistakes. Survivors without a weak link in the group is way more impactful than a group that's out to rush generators.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025
    Options

What. Borrowed Time, DS, Off the record, Babysitter, Body blocking? Hello?

• chargernick85
    Options

I don't believe in gen rushing either. I do however look at all things (try to) from everyone's perspective so to that point when I'm Blight there is a much different level to what I can do then lets say trapper (who I love and am pretty good with) and find my games more smooth. All I'm saying is there's a whole roster out there and Blight at his worst is considered 3rd/4th best killer out there. Can traverse the map very very quickly and when he gets rolling is hard to slow down. Also two BNP on one generator is already a mistake so they were not the brightest anyhow.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    edited June 2021
    Options

In my opinion Gen Rush = Tunneling. In terms of what they mean. Finishing the objective as soon as possible. Though I few neither as a problem. There's enough perks and in game things to counter these.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

there's also 10 posts a day about camping, tunneling and slugging.

• Nathan13
    Options

they're just being an entitled survivor main I wouldn't waste time on them.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781
    Options

Because it isn't. It is poor map design, survivor spawns, and weak killers that make you think that gens are going to fast.

• van9684
    van9684 Member Posts: 433
    Options

Lol gen rushing is a made up term. You mean survivors doing an objective faster than you’d like? Let’s call it what it is okay. What would you like them to do? Wait in a corner until you’re ready? Lol. Smh.

• SomberNokk
    SomberNokk Member Posts: 732
    Options

I dont see a problem with either, both are the objectives of that side, if I get genrushed ima just start playing a bit meaner.

• Hektic3000
    Options

Tunneling is also a made up term that's often misused. Killer doing their objective faster than you'd like, instead people like to call it unfair/unskilled. What do you want killers to do, wait in a corner till you're ready to play again? Lol smh /s

• Nathan13
    Options

same here, doing gens is the main objective but if I lose 2-3 early I gotta change my playstyle a little bit.

• WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

Your point being? This post was saying people already talk about it a kot

• Nathan13
    Options

my point is killers are forced to do them if gens are flying. Then killers get shamed for it when they're trying to get a kill.

• SomberNokk
    SomberNokk Member Posts: 732
    Options

Right on queue huh, now tell us your thoughts on tunneling.

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012
    Options

Then why tunnelling is problem? Your job is finishing generators and escaping. Killer's job is killing you and with tunnel, killers can do faster. Why this is problem?

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

Gen rush is perhaps even worse. Most survivors feels the chasing part is the most fun, and being tunneled well you take one for the team so the other might get out. Gen rush or gen tunneling the game will end too soon it's not fun for anyone.

• Damarus
    Damarus Member Posts: 600
    Options

Because gen rush is not exactly as much of a problem as camping and tunneling. Gen rush happens when survivors are able to complete 2-3 gens really fast, which means that they are good at hitting skill checks, have the awareness of spreading out around the map, and someone has been keeping the killer busy. The killer, in this case, has refused to drop chases to focus on more important matters (gens) and has not applied much pressure. Camping and tunneling, on the other hand, are cheap things that no skill players resort to because they know they would not be able to do anything otherwise, and survivors are just there, waiting to die, being prevented from playing the game. You have to be aware of when to drop a chase and when to commit. And boom, you've pretty much solved the issue. You could still lose a couple gens early, but that NEVER means that you already lost. If you are tunneled, on the other hand, you have more chances of riding a unicorn in the universe of Dragon Ball, than you have of the killer letting you go. Killers have bloodlust, which means they will get you eventually, and NOT because of skill (if they have to rely on that). Survivors can just run and hope that they don't end up in dead zones. If a killer decides he wants to tunnel you, you cannot do anything about it. If you get gen rushed, you still have another measly, no skill thing to hold your hand, NoeD.

As you can see, that is not the same thing. At all. Not even close.

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069
    Options

Couldnt the same be said about killers? Its their objective to kill the survivors.

• kingbojenbo
    kingbojenbo Member Posts: 130
    Options

This is going to be another us vs them....fun....

When a killer tunnels they ruin the fun for that survivor. When a team "gen rushes" they are doing the objective. The killer is going to be there all game long so no one is stopping the killer from having fun.

When I get tunneled and face camped I look at it as the killer acknowledging they are terrible at killer. I've seen killers that don't resort to tunneling or face camping that are very effective. They know how to mind game loops and play to their killer's strengths. When I play killer I don't tunnel or camp because I know how that feels. Too many killer players feel that if they don't 4k then it was a bad game. I don't 4k all the time and I have fun with the game.

So tunneling killers are just bad at killers.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758
    Options

I think gen rush and tunneling are same.

Survivor mains complain hardcore tunneling, killer mains complain no way to stop gen rush.

IT just happens.

Both tactics might feel somehow disturbing and dirty to you when you go against

but it might be best option they have or optimal way to do so.

Just get over it.

• Ink_Eyes
    Ink_Eyes Member Posts: 561
    edited June 2021
    Options

Both being tunneled and gen rush is kinda your fault, you are the one who needs to go out there and pressure generators, if 3 gens got done then you probably chased a strong looper and completely neglected your gen defense, I see tunneling as the same, if I play killer and I notice I am chasing a weak looper then I try to get him out of the game as soon as possible, if the survivor gets killed supper early it's his fault for not knowing how to loop and being a weak looper, no excuses for survivors or killers (I play both at red ranks)

• chargernick85
    Options

If you can't stand tunneling that much play the bots in tutorial.

If you can't stand when gens pop faster then you like, play the bots in tutorial.

Those bots won't do either of those and you can have fun.

Rest of us will be playing however we want when we want.

Fukin Bots.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203
    Options

I think I spent more time exhausted on the ground than anything else when I used Dead Hard.

• Hektic3000
    Options

Its not a us vs them discussion, im simply using their logic against them. Ok so tunneling ruins the fun for 1 survivor but when the killer has to watch 4 survivors run out of the exit gate before they teabag 100 times its fun for the killer right? No one but the survivor team is stopping the person being tunneling from having fun, since they can take the heat off of the weak link. So when camped and tunneled you blame the killer for being "bad" instead of looking at what led you to being put on the hook in the first place....I'm kinda sick of the people that say "well i dont do it because ect.", well everyone can't be like you and some people might find enjoyment in killing unapologetically. I don't care if I 4k every game, what i do care about is playing a game where i feel like i have a chance. If survivors decided to speedrun escaping to the exit gate instead of the usual goofing off, then im denied chances to have a fair game.

So gen rushing survivors are just bad at survivor.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    edited June 2021
    Options

I only tunnel survivors with keys or if I have no deaths at 2 gens remaining. If I hook someone on second hook and they get unhooked when I'm nearby they being tunnelled. If the game is going at a steady pace though I try to play fair.

As survivor I am terrible in chases but fantastic at holding r1/rb whilst periodically pressing L1/Lb and, unless I run totem finding perks, I don't know if there are any totems left to find later in the game so why come off the only objective I have unless it's for a unhook or heal.

If you get the smarter survivors 4 seperated on 4 gens or 2 on 2 gens, there may be a moment were 2 or more gens pop at once. Unless you get a 3 gen this sort of gen rushing is hard, but not impossible, to beat. The killer is not a big enough threat so if the gen is at 99% you can guarantee most will take the hit to finish it, possibly straight into adrenaline which I hate to see.

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009
    Options

Meh, maybe cause the Killer Rates indicate even with the dramatically short gen times and seal SWF teams that bully on the poor, hopeless Killer mains on here... most matches are instead stomp fests?

Also being tunneled and camped out of the match means you didn't even likely get to play for most of the match. Killers are never taken out of the match. It's a very obvious and simple difference Killer mains are oblivious to. Even if I'm being rushed... I can still chase, move around, attack, etc. If Bubba is standing at the hook waiting to down me or Hag has fortified my hook with traps... there really isn't anything for me to do but stare at ally auras and see the Killer checking on the hook every 3 seconds.

• adirgeforthedead
    adirgeforthedead Member Posts: 424
    Options

Both are problems to my point of view, but are quite different. Being tunnelled as a Survivor ends your gameplay in a few minutes and you don't get to many any points, being gen-rushed as a Killer is very frustrating, but not a game-ending experience and you can still get to make a decent amount of points.

The sad part of this argument is that there is people that will always defend either game-style and one of the reasons I rarely engage in conversations about the matter.

• Dennis_van_eijk
    Dennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,704
    Options

I kinda agree but also a bit disagree.

Gen rush is definitely a thing ,tho it's often used as an excuse.

But there are games there where gens pop just to damn fast.

Small example was before wraiths changes, and I'm not saying I'm the best with him or anything but i am pretty darn good with him.

The game starts and i find a survivor within a few seconds, who apparently didn't know how to loop (indeed red ranks yes) on Thompson house.

She went down in about 30s give or take a few.

When i carry her to the basement,as luckily that was the closest, 2 gens already popped and the moment I'm on top of the stairs again the 3rd gen popped.

At that moment i already thought it was gg, cause yeah 1 hook and 3 gens lost already in a stupidly short time.

The 4th was pretty fast as well while i was chasing another survivor as I don't like staying at the hook and just want as many hooks as possible.

I believe that was a little over 3 to 4 minutes where i lost 4 gens already and only 2 hooks.

At that point it should've been over for me, but they suddenly went stupid or something.

They all focussed on 1 gen in the middle and didn't care about the one's in both corners of the map.

From that point it snowballed downhill for them and still got by some miracle 12 hooks 🤷🏼‍♂️

But yeah point is, gen rush definitely exist but not as often as many claim to be

• chargernick85
    Options

Nope. They were more than likely spawn separately (without the offering lol) and didn't have to work for that pressure hence they spawned in different areas. Lethal pursuer would have shown you that at the beginning. Chased/Downed one while 3 on gens what's going to happen? The guy you chased may have a bit on a gen as well in the worst of outcomes meaning progress on 4 gens from the start but they still have to get that last one. 1 Gen left/end game a lot of work can be put in still for sure.

• kingbojenbo
    kingbojenbo Member Posts: 130
    Options

"Ok so tunneling ruins the fun for 1 survivor but when the killer has to watch 4 survivors run out of the exit gate before they teabag 100 times its fun for the killer right?"

I never said that was fun. If they are all at the gate teabagging then the game is over and that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about during the trial.

"So when camped and tunneled you blame the killer for being "bad" instead of looking at what led you to being put on the hook in the first place....I'm kinda sick of the people that say "well i dont do it because ect.", well everyone can't be like you and some people might find enjoyment in killing unapologetically."

If a killer is good at mind gaming and shutting down the loop then they down survivors quickly. The killer then has more time to move on to the next survivor. If that one survivor is the weak link then you can always down them later. If I get downed by a killer then I got downed and it's on me. Now if I get tunneled off hook then what defenses do I have? More often than not the killer will hook you around the area that the chase ended and also likely that the resources there might have already been used. I play for fun and being tunneled isn't fun but you go ahead and play the game how you want.

"I don't care if I 4k every game, what i do care about is playing a game where i feel like i have a chance."

That's what all...most players want. I'm not denying there being bully squads and depip teams out there but players deserve a chance at the game. My personal feel is that tunneling and "gen rushing" are not the same thing.

Some topics I agree with survivor side and some on killer side. On this specific topic I don't agree with the killer side of things but on something like keys, that's another matter.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261
    Options

Imo, the killer can killrush survivors in any order and the survivors can genrush like they want.

It's a ######### game, i don't let others dictate how i should play.

• bobateo
    bobateo Member Posts: 368
    Options

I'd have to ask what your definitions of gen rush and tunneling are.

Both of these things get used very loosely to mean anything from a Killer returning to the hook because another surv didn't wait a few seconds for them to get further away to Killer ignores all other survs in order to railroad one surv out of the game as fast as possible. The same breadth holds true for genrush. It's everything from '2 gens went before the Killer found their first chase, to highly efficient 4 man squads running optimal perks and bringing optimal toolboxes.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752
    Options

I think what most people are talking about when they say "tunneling", they mean soft-camping and tunneling. In any rank, that isn't level 1 Red Ranks or red rank SWFs, the survivors don't have a way to counter it. Even with DS and BT, a survivor is going to go down in a matter of seconds after getting off the hook. Then they won't have DS for the second and 3rd hook and most likely the killer will wait out BT after getting hit with it the first time.

On top of this, the few extra seconds you get with DS and BT, may not even happen because not ever survivor below Red Rank 1 is running those perks.

You have to remember that only about 5% of players are red ranks (less in red rank 1), so you are talking about 95% of the player base can do nothing against tunneling.

• Dennis_van_eijk
    Dennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,704
    Options

Like i said it was before the wraith got his changes, so lethal pursuer was not there yet lol.

But yeah that they spawned on different gens was obvious and i don't complain about that.

I had to mention that it were 4 toolboxes from which 3 of them used bnp tho, my bad.

And yes number 4 had some progress but was no more than 5s.

The fact that they used multiple perks to speed up the repair progress also helped them especially when the 3 got done cause all they had to do was stick together on a gen.

And I don't mind when 3 gens pop that happens and sometimes you get back from that and sometimes you don't.

The fact 4 gens were done under 5 minutes is definitely considered gen rush, maybe not to you but i think for most of the community it does whether survivor or killer.

About 99% of the time it's on the killer when gens get done fast, but there are instances where the killer is just powerless.

In my game i shouldn't have won at all, they had split the gens perfectly to get it done.

But they messed up and that was only luck for me.

But for me any game where 4 or 5 gens are done under 5 minutes is a gen rush, but these games are very rare

• chargernick85
    Options

You didn't mention any perks or toolboxes when those are in play yes the community call that the true definition of gen-rushing and the only kind. The rest is just bad maps, spawns, and mixed variables of perks/killer used oh and of course applying pressure.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

There are loads of gen rush threads mate. I'd actually say I've seen more gen rush threads than tunnelling threads.

I will also say "gen rush" can be a result of a survivor getting tunnelled.