Tunneling is simply how you win

2»

Comments

• CoalTower
    CoalTower Member Posts: 1,730
  • Idontknowtbh
    Idontknowtbh Member Posts: 467

So, if someone doesn't agree with you, it has to be they are not experienced in the game?

But you are the one sounding like a newbie by saying tunnelling is the only way.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

You’re just saying that because you have an Elodie profile picture so you clearly supported that disastrous Binding of Kin chapter.

Bet you’re also a Twins main.

*in case anyone takes this seriously. It’s satire*

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340

You obviously are a filthy k-pop stan because you have a Trickster Profile Pic.

Get out of here.

/s

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

If the survivors are too efficient on gens ill tunnel and slug. If someone uses their ds ill tunnel them down. The pressure you get from 1 survivor out of the game makes a difference.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430
    edited June 2021

Wanna know why people complain?

Not because the strategy exists, but because it can be easily abused. New people literally would have to be forced to buy Laurie just to have a chance.

Also, they could afford to give survivors more options outside of perks. Which is what many want.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,406

The thing you need to understand is that when you have 2000 hours (like many forum members do) average rank 1 survivor feel like rank 20. So its easy for us to get a 4k most of the time. Survivor is still the stronger role but from my view point a average red rank plays like a baby survivor and needs to learn a lot.

You almost never meet a team which is even close to oracle. So if you struggle at red rank you need to learn more.

Strength of teams varies with region, time, platform and crossplay on/off. For example you will get good teams if you play without crossplay on pc.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,374

No.. no it isn't. Some of my most fun matches in DBD are ones where I still die but the match was overall fun. A win to me is not just escaping. Its about having fun whether you survive or not in the match. I've had matches where 3 of us literally try to block the path of a recently unhooked survivor and the killer just ignores us and goes straight for them. Sometimes they d/c after that and honestly I don't blame them at all. Its an extremely toxic and unfun thing to play against.

• MegMain98

Darn. You caught me. I gotta share play with you tonight so you can see me 4K at 5 gens with Trickster because I’m just that damn good. I won’t completely miss every blade I throw and dip to 15 FPS every time I raise a blade like it’s a PowerPoint.

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340
  • TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Yeah I’m not touching Clown ATM. Which is annoying because I’ve been in games recently where I thought “I wouldn’t be having this problem if I were using Clown right now...”

I usually cream teams as Clown too, without meta perks (because they bore me).

• WiiFitTrainer
    WiiFitTrainer Member Posts: 788

Nope. I very rarely don't get a 4k when i play my main killers twins and bubba.

I see now you are a troll so there's no point in this thread.

• CoalTower
    CoalTower Member Posts: 1,730

Me too. I literally could've said these exact words and they would all be true 🤣

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

I’m getting the impression that there are far too many children on these forums. So I just disengage after I see a repeat of blatant ignorance.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Hey op I notice since I provided proof you were wrong you have yet to provide another snide comeback in a feeble attempt to prove me wrong, what's up?

• MegMain98

Sorry I can’t. I’m too busy eating my BTS happy meal since I’m clearly a K-Pop stan.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

Tunneling the weakest survivor*

Tunneling is a terrible strategy if the guy you are tunneling is running you around for minutes at a time.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

It's on the Survivor to avoid being caught in the first place. It's on your teammates to provide additional chances.

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059
    edited June 2021

Cheers was a very real person who unfortunately passed away. Please stay respectful to the dead.

As for the main topic : I personally don't have a problem with tunneling. I don't think it's the only way to win but if things get desperate I won't blame the killer for it.

• Thr_ust
    Thr_ust Member Posts: 481

Tunneling in my opinion is a perfect example of the devs incompetence while balancing this game. With the way this game is the killer has no reason not to tunnel unless they feel like being nice. If the devs would just add something to the game that basically says “hey you didn’t tunnel have a cookie!” Then tunneling would definitely be a more rare thing. And yet after all this time we have nothing.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 934
    edited June 2021

Definitely, tunnelling is often simply optimal strategy. The impact that getting the first survivor out of the round as soon as possible has cannot be overstated, it's immense. Even if it takes you 3 or 4 generators to tunnel that first survivor out, once in a scenario with only 3 survivors left alive, it is incredibly easier to apply pressure, snowball and outright win games, with things such as camping and slugging and 3-genning.

For every player truly struggling to perform well as killer, one main advice of mine is to start tunnelling. That means you commit to a chase on a survivor until you down and hook them, and then as soon as they get unhooked you drop everything that you might be doing to seek out, chase and hook that survivor again. Until they are dead. I guarantee you will see much more success with this strategy.

Now the thing is, if you are an even only halfway competent killer player, you won't need to "abuse" tunnelling against the vast majority of lobbies matchmaking will give you, red ranks or not. I for one even completely go out of my way not to tunnel, and yet I still kill 3-4 survivors much, much more often than 2 or less. And since I know that tunnelling is not fun for most survivors, nor being in an essentially "unwinnable" 3v1 after I tunnel the first survivor out, I see no reason why I should tunnel. Most survivors don't last long in chases or do gens with any dilligence, if I tunnel, the first survivor will regularly be dead before 3 gens are done, and from there it is boring to win, pretty much just going through routine motions at that point. I much prefer a more dynamic round where I chase whoever I find and only start sacrificing survivors toward the late mid and late game.

I don't dislike tunnelling, not even from a survivor perspective. If you get tunnelled as a survivor, you still get your chases in which you can apply your experience and skills and play well to save your life, or at least to help your team survive by prolonging your death. The only type of tunnelling I dislike is the farming-off-hook type, where the unhooked survivor gets downed again before they ever had a chance to get into a fair chase scenario. That should truly be made impossible at a base-game level, and not "worked around" with perks like Borrowed Time. Other than that, I would say feel free to tunnel, and if you want to kill as many survivors as possible as consistently as possible, indeed you should tunnel. Only if you care to have longer, perhaps more "challenging" or "close" rounds and for your opponents to also have more fun should you consider to go out of your way not to tunnel. This is also a decision you can make round-to-round, based on your opponents.

Post edited by zarr on
  • TheBigGoo
    TheBigGoo Member Posts: 38

I tried to talk to him about some "data" he pulled on killers just to reference and he never responded.

• Gaffy
    Gaffy Member Posts: 222

It is? Damn I better keep doing it then.

• Onykron
    Onykron Member Posts: 62

Players ofter ignore this, holding M1 is a mechanic a rank 20 can do no problem, even if you want to be "nice" to them they can still screw you over if they just sit on a gen, they dont even need to be good loopers to advance the game, i know because its the one job we give to the greenest player in my SWF while we take care of the rest.

• OtakaChan
    OtakaChan Member Posts: 181

Might just have to be a killer main for a while just for better bp outage. Tired of 5 to 9k bp games with idiots all dying on top of eachother or just dcing when they first go down or not even being there at all. I've depicted from rank 5 all the way to 8 due to tunneling and greedy or sandbagging teammates that body block you in a corner or room when you are running a killer.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

While I hate tunnelling/camping, its literally the only way to close out a kill if you play red ranks without slowdown and are using a mid to low tier killer. Unless you're nurse but y'know nurse.

I actually got 7 hooks on haddonfield and somehow that wasn't even a safety pip because lolnoslowdown.

• Lucent
    Lucent Member Posts: 209

This isn't a conversation about tunneling but about simple strategy. If i see 2 survivors i will always go after the one that has been on hook the most even if they were just unhooked in front of me and no that isn't tunneling.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

Tunnelling is only a win condition when teammates rush unhooks. Which is always. As survivor never jump off first and second gen to get a unhook not near you. I always make or make sure the killer is in a new chase before rescuing it's sad thoufg more than half my teammates over the past year just allow killers to win this way.

• VonCrow
    VonCrow Member Posts: 389

Just had a game as Huntress and I chased everytime a different survivor, like, I chased always the unhooker.

You know what happened? I got 1 kill, 3 escapes.

Tunnel is the way to go, unless they nerf gen speed. I was using Ruin+Pop btw. Gen speed is what makes killer tunnel.

• Terrortot
    Terrortot Member Posts: 423

Getting a survivor out early does make a 4k easier, if that's what you consider winning.

• tahilix
    tahilix Member Posts: 52

Well, OP is right tho. If you eliminate one guy and make game 3vs1 its basically over. But its technical standpoint. Frankly, i find full on tunneling one guy out of game distasteful. Not everyone does tho.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762
  • BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378

sure but what is the point?

• Steah
    Steah Member Posts: 511
    edited June 2021

If you are playing vs competent survivors and you aren't a high tier killing, you're probably going to have rely on 1 of 3 "scummy" tactics to win.

Tunneling

Camping

Slugging.

If the survivors you are going against are doing gens and can last even the bare minimum of what would be considered a decent chase, then you simply don't have the time to 12 hook people while rotating hooks.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

That is completely okay, but the issue is these same killers that tunnel are the ones that complain about DS and body-blocking

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I like how when someone come to argument, they put the "you rank 20, Im better card"

I know that...

...but isnt this mean every match against you are all unfun? Because the need of 4k so high that you just go tunnel every single match.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833
    edited June 2021

Tunneling isn't fun to play against, and survivors get nothing out of it. Oh wow! That 5000 points I made is going to go a long way!

Also, you can consistently 4k against competent survivors without tunneling. I main Ghostface and I don't tunnel unless they specifically force my hand. If you're going to hang around to blind me, you aren't getting a second chance.