"Trash killer" One month later: "Oh S tier"

Options

What's with this weird trend? I noticed it by blight, twins and nemises. First they get trash talked and then for some reason there S-A tier for everyone because Streamer or Youtuber X said he's good.

The opposite by clown but same scenario. First everyone loved the buff and because again Youtuber or Streamer X said he's still bad and everyone is now seeing it like that.

Comments

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

You already answered yourself.

People judge them by first impressions not realizing it takes at least several weeks or months to actually see the value of a character in any situations and playstyles

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,385
    Options

That's to be expected, is it not? Upon release, it's impossible to tell how well they'll fare. People find uses for what's offered, and realise that said uses may actually be stronger than expected.

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    Options

Well if it makes you feel better I don't think nemesis is A-tier. Could care less who says he is as well.

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169
    Options

With Nemesis it's quite the other way, everyone thought he was strong in the PTB, only a few people were actively disputing that. Now that the killer was released and more people can acess it people are saying he is on a weaker side. A big issue with tier lists is that those tier lists don't seperate Casual gameplay from "Competitive" gameplay, A tier killers won't work in "Competitive", they are A tier in a normal match.In a sense most killer are being overrated in tier lists.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

People seem to forget how many freaking buffs Blight got NEARLY EVERY SINGLE PATCH!

Also nemesis will NEVER be S tier in his current iteration as you'd need mobility for that status as mobility is king in DbD.

Finally most people didn't consider the twins good even though some content creators said they were good.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    edited June 2021
    Options

Blight was S on release. He’s had multiple addons get nerfed, almost immediately after release. He really should have a few more nerfed as well.

Twins was a surprise to me. I dropped them after release due to all the bugs. It was hard to get a bead on them and when the bugs were removed I had a bad taste for them. My mind admittedly did change on their viability after OhToFu’s tier list last month and Dowsey’s multiple videos exhibiting their strengths. OP’s got me nailed here.

Nemesis is not S tier. I do question his placement in A tier. But he is not bottom three killer as many thought on release. He’s quite viable but not among the best of the killers.

• Trwth
    Trwth Member Posts: 921
    Options

Oh no, here we go comparing killers again

• Steah
    Steah Member Posts: 511
    Options

Well look at the most recent killers.

Blight was mid tier at best in release. However he has been buffed and had bug fixes every patch. So now he is s tier.

Twins were a glitchy mess and there power seemed bad in release. Once people started realizing what you can do with slugging, hook camping, and body blocking with Charlotte, they figured out the potential they had.

Trickster sucked on release and still sucks.

Nemesis also sucks. 3 hits, 2 speed boosts to get a power that shuts down loops. Zombies that can sometimes help at loops if youre lucky but mostly serve as tracking. He's a ######### version of Doctor.

A lot of it does come down to hivemind as well as appealing to authority. Just because a streamer says something doesn't mean it's true.

• Entity_Lich94
    Entity_Lich94 Member Posts: 320
    Options

To be fair alot the recent killers had multiple changes to them from their ptb form and after they had been released so naturally some people may change their minds on them.

I do agree with what alot have said on here already though, people like to take the opinion of their favourite streamer and state it as fact ( the amount of otz, tru3 and Scott jund videos you get on here is a prime example of this)

I honestly think it takes at least a couple months before you can actually get an idea of how strong a killer is. By then survivors should know what counters to do and how effectively they work and killers should know what builds and addons are the best on them

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
    Options

Tbf, Blight was genuinely terrible in the PTB so the complaints were kind of justified. After that, it was simply a case of people not realizing the Killer's potential. I really wouldn't say that Nemesis or Twins are S tier though. Twins might be A or B tier. I'm still not sure about Nemesis but he definitely isn't S tier.

• Quake
    Quake Member Posts: 230
    Options

I really love personally how they still say trickster worst killer evaaa

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,545
    Options

1 - They got buffs.

2 - People got better at them

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,880
    Options

I found Blight was very underrated and pretty much S-Tier before it got popular. I never thought about Twins because I didn't care like a nano-percent about them but yeah, they seem decent.

Nemesis is good, but not S-Tier. Personally, I'd make his tentacle strike infect and injure Survivors so he doesn't need 3 hits. Either that or remove the speed burst Survivors get when infected.

• Pior_Morte
    Pior_Morte Member Posts: 526
    edited June 2021
    Options

Blight got a lot of buffs

Twins was always a good, boring and buggy mess

Trickster bad

Nemesis is being considered a mid-tier killer

• Canas
    Canas Member Posts: 1,021
    Options

Trickster is garbage and will remain garbage until he sees an actual rework.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    Options

There are a lot of potential reasons.

1. Killers aren't stagnant.

PTB Spirit had a directional whoosh and a lengthy power cooldown. People called her weak because Survivors could tell exactly where she was while phasing, while she had to guess. Then, whether right or wrong, she'd have to chase as an M1 Killer until her power recharged.

2. People learn and improve the longer they play.

If you try cutting a steak a with a spoon or judge a fish on it's ability to fly above the tree tops, you could be excused for calling them worthless. The true utility/beauty of something is usually not instantly apparent and definitely not immediately obvious to everyone.

Very few people ran Stridor on PTB Spirit. Very few people knew exactly how long her post-phase lunge was. Things changed with time.

3. The game is not stagnant.

When Spirit released Hex: Ruin still caused spooky Red Skillchecks, Decisive was still based on wiggle time, there was no EGC, and Commodious Toolboxes lasted the entire game. The game has changed and so has the way people play it; that in turn changes people's perception of things.

4. People will parrot the opinions of those who (act like they) have authority on something.

As many other comments have pointed out, people will copy the statements of someone they believe. Influencers are called influencers for a reason.

Johnny said Spirit is weak. Everybody loved Johnny when Spirit released.

Jessica says Spirit is strong. People don't love Johnny as much anymore. Everybody loves Jessica now. People stop saying Spirit is weak and start saying she is strong.

5. Different people say different things.

A month ago there may have been 50 people ranting about Spirit being weak. Today those 50 people may be busy doing something else while 50 new people come and complain about her being too strong.

The people who played Spirit on the PTB might have moved on to other games. People who play Spirit today might not have been around to play her on the PTB.

6. People often use hyperbole to get an emotion across.

If you've ever complained you're dying of boredom, or had someone complain it to you, you understand this.

Someone that does terribly as Spirit on her PTB is liable to turn around and say she's garbage because they had a bad time; and they want to express that negative feeling.

-

I apologize if this comes across as condescending. Rereading it, I could see it might, but I'm just trying to answer your question the best I can and I'm too lazy to retype this all.

You are a smart and beautiful person; have a great day.

• xerav
    xerav Member Posts: 392
    Options

Yes lets just ignore all the bugfixes / QoL updates

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,929
    edited June 2021
    Options

Blight got his FOV readjusted

Twins is still #########

Nemesis came out not long ago and there's no consensus yet

what are you talking about?

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    Options

To be fair, Blight is very difficult to play and that was way worse on release because he couldn't hardly see over anything.

Twins release was ridiculously buggy and honestly if you try to play them even remotely normally... they do suck.