Tunneling = Gen Rushing

Options
WishIcouldmain
WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
edited June 2021 in General Discussions

Yeah they're the same

1.Both are completing the objective as fast as possible. While ignoring other things.

2.Both are legitimate and fair strategies. With enough in game and perk counters.

Honest opinion. But, yes, both can be unenjoyable.

Comments

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    edited June 2021
    Options

Gen rush is worse since no one have fun.

• SilentSpectre
    SilentSpectre Member Posts: 830
    Options

Too true

• van9684
    van9684 Member Posts: 433
    Options

Lol whatever makes you feel better. I’m sure the other killer mains will be in here soon to pump you up. Bravo.

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 950
    Options

I feel like making gens have more to them before being able to just m1 them (have to find a part or something or they go much slower), and making hooks reposition like Pyramid heads cages if you stay by them too long, unless basement/endgame collapse. Just anything.

I think both approaches are fine, when it's not like unwarranted and at the start of every match.

The problem with it all is that when optimised gameplay is just tunneling + camping and gen rushing. And that needs addressed, its horrible for any new player I've tried to introduce.

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
    Options

Pretty much, yep. Unfortunately, both tactics are here to stay unless there is some major overhaul to the game that fundamentally changes it. That isn't impossible but the Devs probably wouldn't do it. The game is an ok-ish spot right now, not counting bugs and performance issues of course. So the Devs probably wouldn't bother.

• Mekochi
    Mekochi Member Posts: 942
    Options

That's why we as survivors need a second objective, because I see other survivors say that pressing m1 all the time is boring, so it fixes that problem and no one can complain about gen-rushing. On the other hand though, there's nothing devs can do about camping/tunneling, because they've deemed it a viable strategy, though it wasn't fun. Yes, gen-rushing was a viable strategy, but it to was unfun.

To be honest I don't care what they do as long as major bugs get fixed along the way.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,763
    Options

that would require a complete overall in the entire community's and possibly all of mankind's way of thinking, and unless BHVR is hiding a mass brainwashing device that is never going to happen

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,146
    edited June 2021
    Options

Correct, which is why this game will die unless they do something, the minute a competitor in the Asymmetrical space comes along that is able to deliver an actually balanced and fun game that people want to play as an esport, it's over.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

For me, they are not the same. They achieve similar results but they are not executed under the same conditions.

Gen rushing requires items/perks in order to even be considered “gen rushing” … while Tunneling is basically just the killer’s behavior and whether they choose to target the one person, making it available in every single match. That is its only condition.

• drpynz
    drpynz Member Posts: 246
    Options
  • WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

No they’re not

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    edited June 2021
    Options

I don't even think they can do that unless they revisit slowdowns and killers that can cut chase time incredibly short with their powers.

Right now, the game feels like its two sides racing to the finish. We'd need to slow both sides down, not just one.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

yup exactly

• WexlerWendigo
    Options

Gen rushing is survivors doing their objective, killers only tunnel outside of competitive when they’re playing badly

• tahilix
    tahilix Member Posts: 52
    Options

My problem with genrushing is that its too hard to define. You can say its doing gens fast. How fast? Maybe its fast because you failed to keep up pressure? Maybe they were more skilled than you because you got bad roll with matchmaking? Maybe you overcommited to chases?

Now, i consider genrushing only if all survivor team has builds geared towards gen repair. Otherwise, its probably killer just failing to do their job and blaming survivor. I mean, cmon, what are they supposed to do? Watch grass grow?

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

@tahilix

You can still gen rush even if the killer is applying pressure. You can bring BNPs, Prove Thyself, let teammates go to stage 2 to prioritize gens, not heal even tho you can’t run the killer but the gens are a priority. Those (to me) are considered actions taken in order to gen rush. Anything else I don’t consider gen rushing.

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264
    Options

I honestly feel that ,if killer's had more time to play around instead of being forced to do most things like camp and tunnel just to get a hook it wouldn't be so much tunneling or camping,the gen speeds aren't going anywhere but just try this as survivors mains for this week take off all perks that give second chances,are speed boost don't do gens as fast as you can and let's see what what happens. If there will be some tunneling and camping still because someone is having a bad weekend, but if survivors don't play like maniacs and just play for once then see what happens, there's some incredibly rude survivors who just want to drive you insane and there are some really low killer's who just want to make you're day unfun

So I'm asking for a cease and desist and both sides to see what happens. Killer's don't run you're Noed and survivors don't run you're Adrenaline boost or Dead Hard,it will be boring but it's worth the experiment.

• Galklife
    Galklife Member Posts: 726
    Options

As long as definitions are correct thats 100% true,

if someone is doing gens while 1 surv is hooked, 1 is chased yup

if killer is ignoring everything (survivor bodyblocking his way so he has to m1 him and then still follows unhooked guy)

then yup both are equal

BUT there are some exceptions:

killer cant catch surv for 2 or 3 mins (there is nothing to do for survs) and if you dont expect 3 gens to pop after 2,5min when you still cant get a down (or hit multiple survs) ... what do you expect?

surv after being unhooked is shifting straight through center of the map ... what do you expect? or when youre doing gen on killers face?

those terms WHEN USED PROPERLY are equal, but both sides are so blind and are throwing them all the time to make excuse of their death/losing gens

I got games when I killed 1st person on 9th hook and i got called tunneler, same when i was surv and killer killed on 9th hook random called killer a tunneler xd, also i got games where i did 5 totems, plundered 3 chests gens were done and killer was telling "nice genrush" tell me what else to do?

• Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236
    Options

Gen rush beats tunneling though, unless the person youre tunneling is awful

• Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236
    Options

Brilliant way of putting it. Im stealing this and pretending its mine fyi. Cheers 🍻

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    Options

Tunnelling does equal gen rushing to me. I will play fair but if I think the gens are going too fast someone definitely needs to be taken out of the game.

• tahilix
    tahilix Member Posts: 52
    Options

I literally said that in my post. I considier genrush a genrush only if survivors have builds geared towards gen repairs. And if they let teammates go on second stage because of gens, well, good luck with that.

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974
    Options

played a swamp game and ghosty was the killer. He marked me and downed me pretty hood. it was my fault being on the boat. I struggled to almost 300 points by the time i got hooked. then 3 gens popped couldn't be more than 90 seconds into the match.

Sometimes you have to try to ruin the game for some to have a chance without the survivors doing anything more than working on the first gen they see.

It shouldn't be like that but i'll be damned if i know how to fix it.

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264
    Options

People shouldn't complain then but they do,most survivors from I've read or played against want the killer to be so weak where it's a guaranteed escape. Meanwhile they won't acknowledge there own skills,and don't realize what it's like to play against a four man squad,while 3/4 run sprint burst,lithe on Haddonfield.The killer basically has to do, what they must to ensure a victory.Tunneling is just the realization that you can't win with a certain killer or the fact that how nice you play,It will never be appreciated,maybe by some but the majority,just want to stomp you and say gg ez.

I don't know why it's not an agreement survivors play the way they want and killer's play the way the want.

• Hex_Husband
    Hex_Husband Member Posts: 119
    Options

OP is totally true. Well stated.

• Literallyweezing
    Literallyweezing Member Posts: 88
    Options

Doesn't gen rushing mean just doing gens? Thats literally all survivors can do

• WexlerWendigo
    Options

Doing gens is good gameplay, tunnelling is a substitute for not playing well

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197
    Options

And most people dont know what either of those things ACTUALLY are.

Get called a gen camper. Get told I gen rush after a 15minute match.

People are ridiculous...

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Nope, tunneling doesn't work agaisnt efficient survivors. I've tried. It's just laziness.

Camping and slugging, those are different stories. But tunneling? Completely inneffective, both BT and DS exist so you're literally preying on off-meta builds.

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
    Options

The only one stating things as they are. No wonder you completely got ignored. People tend to conveniently forget that if they get "genrushed" it's most likely their own fault for playing badly. But tunneling one specific survivor out of the game is their own choice

• Idontknowtbh
    Idontknowtbh Member Posts: 467
    Options

What I find unfun is that the survivor tunneled is usually not the one gen rushing. If you don't catch the rusher, they'll let that survivor die on hook so they finish all the gens.

That's why I usually start running around if 2 gens are done and the killer hasn't even hit a survivor.

In most cases, it doesn't end up well for me because the killer sees the third gen pop by the time I get hooked (not because I last that long in a chase, the rushers kept going while I was looking for the killer). And they leave me there to rush another gen before I get to second phase.

One gen left, the killer comes back to the hook as no one else is on view and one survivor comes to unhook me on second phase, the killer hits them and they run away, doors activate and out.

If they managed to unhook, I would go down because I am the only viable kill.

This has happened several times.

• WexlerWendigo
    Options

Tactics imply planned in advance, most killers don’t plan to tunnel, it’s usually in response to them playing poorly

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920
    Options

They're not the same by any means. If you want to tunnel, go ahead and keep tunneling. You don't have to make illogical posts to justify your gameplay.

• Forrestgump
    Forrestgump Member Posts: 60
    Options

Sometimes im really not sure if people are just trolling or being serious....

Killer kills as fast as possible = BAD

Survivors doing gens as fast as possible = GOOD