DBD dropped the ball with the pride month celebration

Options

Quite frankly, I’m really disappointed with the effort that was put in as a gay person.

First off, I think it’s a shame that we STILL don’t have any playable queer characters in the game, and whilst I was happy we got the RE chapter, I think releasing a queer character in pride month would’ve been much better.

We got a pride charm, which resulted in a bizarre amount of posts of people worrying about falsely being called homophobic for tunnelling players with this charm, with a significant lack of proof that this was opening beyond one or two instances. The charm was a nice gesture, but that’s all it was, it wasn’t enough action to show appreciation to all the gay players. It’s especially sad in a horror game, as horror has always been an extremely queer genre. We had an event to find a stupid gnome, but nothing in game beyond the charm?

I can’t imagine it would be too much legwork to have some pride shirts on original cosmetics, that would be given for free. Alternatively, they could’ve been sold and have the proceeds donated to LGBTQ+ charities, like the charity cosmetic pack.

J really hope we get more (any) queer representation in the game soon, as the game has plenty of representation of horror icons, but none regarding gay people which are vital to the genre, in the past and present.

Comments

• WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

I agree I’d rather they take their time than handle it poorly, but it’s been a long time since they made the initial promise

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626
    Options

I just wanted a trans flag charm. thats it. pls.

• WexlerWendigo
    Options

I understand that it takes time, and I do appreciate the effort that has gone into the fundraising, I’m simply highlighting that there is a difference between what is done outside of the game, and how queer people are actually implemented into it. It’s important to regularly have discussions around this, even if they attract the hateful people in the community.

Thank you for the response though, I didn’t realise as much money as that was raised!

• WexlerWendigo
    Options
  • MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options
  • Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,541
    Options

Gotta disagree here. They don’t have to throw in an LGBTQ+ char just to check it for the month and be done with it. They already confirmed they are working on such a char and have consultants work with them to not make any unwanted stuff in their creations.

if you follow their social media accounts, they have done streams etc with LGBTQ+ community members.

the charm was a nice gesture but they could have added more than one I guess. But frankly I always thought the rainbow flag was explicitly created to not exclude anyone so it was at least the best one they could have chosen.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

Honestly I'm happy with the charm. Every time I see it, I get stupidly happy for no reason. A character that is LGBT+ would be nice but I'd rather they take time to create a character that is LGBT+ rather than an LGBT+ character (there is a difference I promise).

I have faith in BHVR's lore team. They've given us amazing lore thusfar (and also Nurse but let's not look at her lol).

I'd love the common flags (lesbian, mlm, bi, pan, enby, etc) but doing so would open a large can of worms of "Why do they get a flag but I don't" so I can see why they played it safe with just the rainbow.

At least they're acknowledging we exist and are gonna do so further later with contributions from LGBT+ people. That's enough to tide me over for now.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,528
    Options

Please keep this post on topic, this isn't about whether an LGBT+ character should be added into the game. That discussion has been done and dusted!

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,992
    Options
  • Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409
    Options

I'm honestly okay with the charm, it wasn't to big, it was free, I got it cause why the ######### not? Anyway I get what your trying to say, you want representation, well I do to. Now I may be straight, but I have Autism, I want there to be some representation for those of the spectrum like myself, maybe a charm or some cosmetics, anything really. Even though it was hinted that Claudette may have it, I'd still like there to be a charm for autism

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

I think a pride charity pack would be cool. I don’t know if they do those sort of packs anymore though.

For the most part, I definitely felt that pride has a presence within the game. As a gay man myself, getting to wear the charm with pride and seeing how involved BHVR has been in other social media has been very refreshing and I am thankful for their commitment to being an ally.

• Mandy
    Options

Again I will remind people, this is not a thread where representation and whether it should/shouldn't be put into the game is to be discussed - that's not the topic of this thread - there are plenty of more threads on this forum about that.

• WexlerWendigo
    Options

Also, with how awful the grind is right now, BHVR should jump on any celebration they can to have more BPs for players.

• Mandy
    Options

I'd love it if something like that could be done - of course the whole legalities of it would need to be gone through...but it's definitely an idea that I'll pass along to the team.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

Indeed. Many of our LGBT brothers, sisters, and others could use the support.

• Mooks
    Options

Thank you!

i mean, from my point of view it doesn’t seem so hard, as you (BHVR) have your charity stream just done this month and the Charity Pack DLC is also still available. But I know it may not be as easy as I want it to be :)

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628
    Options

Every corporation is gay during June, but their 5th anniversary is also in June.

Whats going to bring more money in? Resident Evil Chapter or Rainbow clothes? Even if you had 10k people buy the base game, the RE chapter and new $30 killer dlc expansion and then never play the game, they made almost 630k.

If you had 5k people buy rainbow outfits at $5 each, you are looking at only 25k.

From a business perspective its cool to do some LGBT streams and events, but the focus has to be on core game during anniversary if they want to continue the game.

Idc much for pride month (corporations just take advantage of the people). Its not unlike Old Navy selling American shirts before Independence Day. Im sure their patriotic, but they want the money first and foremost lol

• WexlerWendigo
    edited June 2021
    Options

Seems like you’re twisting my words. As it’s already been said, this discussion isn’t about debating having queer characters in the game. There isn’t dialogue, but there is lore and there are straight canon relationships in the lore, so it should be equal, as I said before, especially as horror has always been a ‘gay’ genre.

Post edited by Mandy on
  • WexlerWendigo
    Options

They don’t need to do the RE chapter for their anniversary, they’re literally having the anniversary event well after the release. I’m not really interested in the $ side of this

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628
    Options

The $ side is what matters. They are a business before an LGBT ally tbh. People expected the chapter in June. They pushed out the anniversary event to 7/1. You can make an argument that they pushed out the anniversary event for pride month, but realistically it was probably for 2 reasons; 1. ensure enough time to correct bugs after chapter releases for big event and 2. Schools are out definitely by 7/1.

But why wouldn't they do a massive license release for 5 year anniversary? If you're married and are celebrating 5 years do you just go to McDonald's? No! You go to a fancy restaurant. You can go anytime during the year, but it means more during an anniversary.

Again, they want money. There's more money associated with RE than pride. The only way that pride could overshadow RE was if they had some crazy event like double BP month.

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454
    Options

Too bad a company is. Sorry, but a company isn't your LGBT support, it's something meant to generate money. And a company will choose the most profitable option, which is clearly not the rainbow clothing.

Perhaps, considering the current LGBT population, not more than one survivor should be LGBT out of the bunch, statistically speaking. They are anyway adding an LGBT survivor, so this is literally a non-issue.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

Actually in the UK most colleges aren't out until between 6th and 16th July, and secondary schools are the week after.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

I was pretty disappointed they did an event on mobile that already has extra BP events frequently but not the main game where they just released 3 characters and they rarely do extra BP anymore.

• WexlerWendigo
    Options

Companies have more aims than ‘making money’, I’m in the business field, you do not need to explain this to me. Profit as the only goal of businesses leads towards nothing but a toxic environment for anyone who works there.

I’m fully aware they’re adding one, yet a dozen people have come in to dispute the fact that there should be one which is reprehensible. Statistics don’t work for representation at all, should never ever be used as an argument as the whole point is that minorities are often small in numbers, which creates a disparity in how they are treated, because the majority holds the power.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,668
    edited June 2021
    Options

Whether DBD passed or flopped on pride month, I'm a little baffled that anyone expected a LGBTQ+ character to be dropped this month. Characters are a massive workload to implement (they need 3 balanced perk ideas, voice casting, modelling, meshes and animations, and a host of clothes available), and they were already producing a chapter this month - a chapter with 2 survivors as well as the usual killer, not to mention that it was the much-vaunted Resident Evil chapter and they wouldn't exactly have any resources to spare with wanting to get this one right. (Obviously that didn't work out, but that just means all hands are on deck with bugfixes right now rather than new content.) And that's in addition to all assets they had to make for the upcoming anniversary event.

Add in that they're doubtless working on the next Rift at this point, and yeah. There was no way they would have been able to squeeze a character in there unless they had been planned and completed very far in advance.

• MadLordJack
    Options

Given that the Devs decided it was too much effort to simply add little bloodhunts or recycle old events, I don't see your point. Call me entitled all you want, surely if they can't make the game function properly on anything less than the latest and greatest, they could at least throw a few bloodpoints at us?

But no, they don't, and apologists try to make us all look bad for continuing to support this game despite its severely mounting issues.

• WexlerWendigo
    Options

As far as we know, characters are planned roughly a year ahead of time. It’s been about that length of time, possibly longer that BHVR promised the inclusion of a LGBTQ+ character. It is 100% happening, I simply don’t want it to fly under the radar and received confirmation that it was still happening, so I’m happy with that.

• WexlerWendigo
    Options

Also, I’m sorry if I’ve downplayed any of the work BHVR have put in to make the game more welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community. They have definitely made a huge improvement since the early years, and I’m merely hoping that this is something we can continue to have a conversation about, rather than have it be thrown under the rug.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

I'm not an apologist. I'm realist. I'm a pragmatist. Are you still playing matches? If so, you are just as guilty in supporting the game as anyone else. I'm not trying to push your buttons. I'm pointing out this endless line of complaints has reached the point where it no longer gets results, in fact, it is a negative sum game. They no longer have any reason to listen to us because we have made the situation pointless.

• GrimmGaliard
    GrimmGaliard Member Posts: 258
    Options

Calling it dropping the ball is what makes it so entitled. They didn't do more that you wanted so the ball has been dropped? I guess everyone should start making threads about each specific celebratory month and how Dbd doesn't come out with a new character and flag or event for it.

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250
    Options

I am sure they will release all the flags as charms (and hopefully full outfits) each Pride going forward :)

If they don't then that would really be dropping the ball.

• Laluzi
    Options

I'm also of this school of thought, and I'd prefer that existing characters got confirmed as LGBTQ+ rather than assuming they're all cishet and then launching an overt pride character of which pride is the focus of the character. I like my representation to feel natural - identity is only an aspect of who a person is, not their entire personality and life story. I'm not opposed to a new character - I want there to be one, definitely - but I'm worried it won't be done tastefully and that they might end up being a token sort of thing. A caricature to tick a box, like you said.

OTOH, some people prefer the really loud and aggressive kind of representation and think the subtle kind isn't enough commitment. One character will never please everyone.

• Afius
    Afius Member Posts: 563
    edited June 2021
    Options

Wouldn't they need to add a large amount of characters to properly represent non hetero people that's not including ethnicities that people want as well to be included.

• MadLordJack
    Options

It never got results, the Devs haven't cared in years. Their lack of competitors has made them extremely lazy.

But telling people they're spoiled, entitled brats just for asking for the bare minimum? People can't even play the game or dlc they payed for any more, it's when getting worse and worse for years, the Devs have made promises they haven't kept and refuse to acknowledge, and to cap it all they just don't do events any more.

Is it really entitled to ask for the easiest of these? I'm not talking about pride month specifically, I'm just pointing out that a few recycled items and a BP bonus is a better apology than literally ######### nothing.

• Clowning
    Clowning Member Posts: 886
    Options

There's a lot of things to complain about when it comes to DbD/Behaviour, but they're far, far away from "dropping the ball" when it comes to LGBT related matters. Then again, it'll never be enough for some people, will it?

• Mooks
    Options

Nope, they don’t need to. Just adding one char that is any part of LGBTQ+ would be enough to acknowledge the existence of these people when there are already heterosexual relationships present.

people can still ask for other chars though, there is nothing wrong with that, as long as they don’t demand it or shame BHVR for not including those rightaway. After all people can also still ask for other heterosexual representation, even though there are already some.

the problem was just that BHVR unintentionally excluded anything LGBTQ+. They saw their mistake and apologized for it.

• WexlerWendigo
    Options

Keep in mind that it’s taken them 5 years to even implement this. It really isn’t too much to hope for some extra BP during pride, and a couple of t-shirts for characters.

• Laluzi
    Options

Most people don't want to be treated as special snowflakes. Most people want to be treated as normal. That involves having exposure in media - both to be able to relate to people like you instead of seeing an endless stream of characters that never reflect you, and for people outside the LGBTQ+ sphere to become more comfortable/normalized with the concept by seeing enough of it to the point where they don't mentally categorize it as something different and alien.

This discussion has been closed.