What if hexes grew brighter over time?

What if hexes started out as dull totems and grew brighter over time? Or maybe they had thick entity style smoke surrounding them that gradually lessen the more time that passed?

(If a dull totem has a 0% light level and a lit totem has a 100%)
1 minute into match: 10% light visibility
2 min: 20%
3 min: 30%
etc.

Dull totem as it looks

Lit totem as it looks

Please excuse the bad photo shopping, it's mainly supposed to be a proof of concept.
Here's a lit totem with some obscuring by smoke, making it less noticeable

I don't expect these ideas to solve the issues surrounding hexes, but it may help a bit.

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

This sounds like a good way to guarantee they at least survive the first 30 seconds of any given trial. I like it.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    AlwaysInAGoodShape Member Posts: 1,301
    edited December 2018

@FoggyDownpour

I like the idea. Certainly adds more theme to it.

I thought of a similar idea of make Hex totems only light up when they're within the killers terror radius.

It kinda has this creepy turning on effect: at 2:54

This way you wouldn't randomly stumble upon a hex totem before knowing there even is a hex.

• grisstyl
    grisstyl Member Posts: 110

@FoggyDownpour said:
    What if hexes started out as dull totems and grew brighter over time? Or maybe they had thick entity style smoke surrounding them that gradually lessen the more time that passed?

(If a dull totem has a 0% light level and a lit totem has a 100%)
    1 minute into match: 10% light visibility
    2 min: 20%
    3 min: 30%
    etc.

Dull totem as it looks

Lit totem as it looks

Please excuse the bad photo shopping, it's mainly supposed to be a proof of concept.
    Here's a lit totem with some obscuring by smoke, making it less noticeable

I don't expect these ideas to solve the issues surrounding hexes, but it may help a bit.

I love this idea! +1

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

I'd love it especially on token based hexes: the more tokens, the more light. This way it would be a bit easier to get the initial tokens and actually use the perk.

• alivebydeadight
    alivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559

yeah no

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    I like the idea.
    Didn't expect a good idea based off the title alone. 

• Orion

@alivebydeadight said:
    yeah no

Because...?

• alivebydeadight
    alivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559

@Orion said:

@alivebydeadight said:
    yeah no

Because...?

well if they grow brighter the hex would become less stealthy, and we dont want that happening to hex:devour hope or ruin, the hex perks are brightish but if they become brighter every minute (through some experimenting some matches last 16 minutes) and I know he/she stated only minutes 1,2, and 3 and they are an increase of 10%, after the 15 or 14 minutes, or after most of the time when all or just 1 gen are done or remaining, good map pressure will help with the 1 gen remaining part, but the effects of this will not just wound, but ruin (no pun intended) the use of hex perks, and most of the time they are destroyed within a few seconds of the match starting, and we already know that the hill hex location only helped hide it from 2 sides

• Orion

@alivebydeadight said:

@Orion said:

@alivebydeadight said:
    yeah no

Because...?

well if they grow brighter the hex would become less stealthy, and we dont want that happening to hex:devour hope or ruin, the hex perks are brightish but if they become brighter every minute (through some experimenting some matches last 16 minutes) and I know he/she stated only minutes 1,2, and 3 and they are an increase of 10%, after the 15 or 14 minutes, or after most of the time when all or just 1 gen are done or remaining, good map pressure will help with the 1 gen remaining part, but the effects of this will not just wound, but ruin (no pun intended) the use of hex perks, and most of the time they are destroyed within a few seconds of the match starting, and we already know that the hill hex location only helped hide it from 2 sides

Dude, read the OP again. They start out looking like dull totems and progressively get brighter until they reach the current brightness.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 2,007

Eh, I still prefer my own idea of having hex totems always appear dull until a Survivor interacts with them.
    Having them last at least 'x' amount of time really only makes sense for Ruin. Ruin does its 'job' if at lasts at least 'x' amount of time. But it doesn't make all that much of a difference for something like DH, which needs to stay up as long as possible. Sure, it would help all of the other perks, but not all that much.

• milo77727
    milo77727 Member Posts: 44
    Only problem I see with this is that Haunted Ground would become useless.
    Once a survivors finds a totem whether lit or not they usually cleanse it either for points or the chance of no ed.
  • Orion

@milo77727 said:
    Once a survivors finds a totem whether lit or not they usually cleanse it either for points or the chance of no ed.

Are we talking about the same Survivors here? In my experience, they leave totems unbroken and then complain about NOED.

• milo77727
    milo77727 Member Posts: 44
    Orion said:

@milo77727 said:

Are we talking about the same Survivors here? In my experience, they leave totems unbroken and then complain about NOED.

I could name only 1 survivor I know out of at least 50 who does that for the only reason of being a troll that purposefully kills their teammates.
    Any other time I see it is when no one finds it. No one can complain if they didnt break the totem when they saw one. That's just a stupid player.
  • Orion
    edited December 2018

@milo77727 said:
    I could name only 1 survivor I know out of at least 50 who does that for the only reason of being a troll that purposefully kills their teammates.
    Any other time I see it is when no one finds it. No one can complain if they didnt break the totem when they saw one. That's just a stupid player.

Oh, they can. Believe me, they can.
    PS: I don't do it, but that's because I use another NOED counter called "Dark Sense". Killer goes to one door, I hide nearby, wait for him to go check the other one, I open it, and then I leave.

• FoggyDownpour
    FoggyDownpour Member Posts: 288
    milo7772 said:
    Only problem with this is that Haunted Ground would become useless.
    Wouldn't this be a good thing? You would have survivors be surprised by a sudden exposed status early in the game, it would be stealthy at first and then serve it's purpose if it didn't get cleansed early on by remaining a tempting beacon for the rest of the match.

For those 'smarter' survivors, they would give the totems a little bit of distance until they were lit enough to see which ones are hexes, increasing the longevity of the totems entirely. The killer needs to make up a lot of ground at the beginning of the trial, some more so than others (Hag, Trapper etc) a lot of current survivors spend time cleansing totems at the beginning if they see them, and the threat of an invisible Haunted Grounds would make me hesitate.

And besides, it's just a general concept of time, it's not like they would actually be in the time increments that I used as an example. It could also be that instead of time, the brightness is attached to the number of gens left to do. More gens on makes them glow a bit brighter and the gates being powered would bring them to their current brightness in game. 

NOED could be changed slightly to adjust to this, same with several of the other hexes. Maybe cleansing NOED would start a 30-60 second timer where the gates are blocked, all survivors auras are seen for 5 seconds, or it generally had a lingering exposed effect for x number of seconds. Another idea I had was that cleansing a hex should reveal your aura for 4 seconds or something like that, just as a base game mechanic. 

Sorry, I ended up rambling a bit and not all of that was meant to be directed at you haha