Can someone explain the ruin undying meta?

Options
MyNamePete
MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053

I get what its for, you use ruin and undying so obviously, your ruin isnt immediately gone.

I tried it out for the first time a few days ago and have been trying to deduce why its been meta. I feel like i have to be missing something because usually my undying totem is cleansed and im like ok now i still have ruin and then it gets cleansed within 20 seconds from then.

Comments

• Razorbeam
    Razorbeam Member Posts: 594
    Options

You gotta protect your totems better, sure you're gonna have games where rng screws you but if you're causing enough chaos in the time they buy you it shouldn't be that frequently that you're loosing both.

If in doubt bring emergency pop.

• MyNamePete
    Options

Probably because i was playing a killer thats bad at applying pressure, I can easily see why this would be good on the better killers or high mobility killers in general but i hear a lot of people say its a good build for standard m1 killers and i feel like thats not the case.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,924
    edited June 2021
    Options

I'm not a fan.

Ruin (+Undying) is great IF you can apply pressure to both gens AND totems, but that's not easy to do for a regular 115% killer. You need some mobility, or some incredible aim and lucky shots with a hatchet.

I find Corrupt + Surge to be much more efficient gen slowdown perks, still eliminates the need to kick gens (at least some of the time) and gives you a good indication of where survivors are spawning.

• MyNamePete
    Options

I see, thanks for the recommendation. I tend to run perks more for chases because i dont mind if they all escape if i had some fun chases but ive been wondering what kind of build id want to use if i was actually trying to stop gens and win.

On m1 killers i was always more of a "spirit fury, enduring" type of player anyways.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,393
    edited June 2021
    Options

The ruin/undying meta was with old undying. Survivor needed to cleanse all totems if they didnt found undying. With this you didnt need to protect your totems bc most of the time it took so much time. Every killer could use it.

Current undying/ruin is still strong but now you have a problem if you cant protect your totems and they are out in the open.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Killers are struggling with the current gen speed. So they grasp at every straw. Even if that means equipping 2 hex perks that are gone in the first 60 seconds and another slowdown perk, since its unavoidable.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

If the killer plays right with Ruin they can essentially add more generators to the game with how much regression Ruin can do. Undying adds to the time Ruin stays up and also helps the killer to protect it with the aura reading.

As a guy that plays almost exclusively in solo queue and has been running Small Game a lot since it was buffed I can say it's meta because it works really damn well at keeping people off of gens. It's very common for these totems to keep me busy for a while, even with Small Game, as it feels like I'm the only person looking for the totems.

• NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 761
    Options

I dont get it either. I prefer Ruin/Pop. That's a guaranteed plan A and plan B.

• bibibib8
    bibibib8 Member Posts: 843
    Options

For me the ruin/undying meta was over after the undying nerf. Lucky for me nemesis bring lethal persuer to the table so now i run this perk and i run toward the survivor who spawn near my totem. With that its really hard to lose early totem unless they spawn on them at this point you already lost the match

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

The thing about Ruin Undying is that even if it goes down after 2 gens pop it's already gotten it's value. As long as you kick somebody off a generator that's almost done and it gets regressed back to 0 you've already gotten your money's worth. It doesn't need to stay up the whole game for it to be worth it.

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193
    Options

Because gen speeds are the problem and some killers have to gamble with strongest totem gen perks to not lose instantly

• Pior_Morte
    Pior_Morte Member Posts: 526
    Options

It used to be Meta when Undying wasn't nerfed, now it is only good in some killers.