Tunneling Tactic Increase?

This is not a thread debating the tactical viability of tunneling. The devs themselves have said that tunneling is acceptable. It is what it is.

What I'm wondering is if anybody else is noticing a huge spike in it lately? I've seen it constantly the past two weeks. I played 8 rounds tonight and was tunneled in literally 4 of them. In this last round it was so bad that the three other Survivors (no hooks, no damage) were even running in front of him to try and draw his attention and body block and he just chased me down and ran around them, hitting them only if he needed to get to me.

I don't understand why this is suddenly what a majority of my matches have become. Red rank Killers, most are Xbox or PC (I just know because it shows they aren't on PS4/5).

Comments

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510

They also made another killer that benefits even more from tunneling in Nemesis which has seen a lot of play (expected) due to the recent chapter. Infected survivors are easiest to down and usually those are the ones that are fresh off the hook.

It's the devs fault again.

• bibibib8
    bibibib8 Member Posts: 843

If they reverse the DS change this will be the biggest mistake they can do

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

Didnt say they should revert the changes. I literally said that reverting the changes wouldnt fix the issue...

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

Didnt say they should revert the changes. I literally said that reverting the changes wouldnt fix the issue...

• Kees_T
    Kees_T Member Posts: 811
    edited June 2021

Tunneling is not something new, it's always has been a strategy since 2016. You just got unlucky to get multiple matches against people using this method.

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052

I've noticed it a lot more lately too. There's times where you just have dumb luck and get the killer's attention too early after being unhooked, but there's a lot of killers that will gun for one player and force them out of the game as quickly and unfairly as possible.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,180

I feel the idea of the DS change was absolutely the right one to take. However, I do agree with @SleepyWillo that the stun has never been that big a deal.

It would be very detrimental to revert the changes, but I'd be all for an extended stun duration, or even a killer version of the hindered status effect as an incentive for people. It may make it more appealing.

Yet, if people are noticing an increase in tunnelling and refuse to equip this perk still, then it's difficult to empqthise with the frustrations.

• Apollos

I just wish it were a part of the base kit at this point, but that would mean taking an anti-tunneling stance which behavior would never do. I usually don't run DS because it's honestly boring as hell having to run the same batch of perks on every single character. There's also the fact that I have a pretty large skill tree at this point so DS might not spawn for over 50 levels. In terms of other players, it's one of the perks that's behind a pay wall unless you happen to catch it in the shrine, which many people might not want to do.

In a perfect world I'd like to have fun with a No Mither build or a totem build without feeling like I'm totally boned without DS/BT/Unbreakable/etc.

• Artemisha
    Artemisha Member Posts: 401
    edited June 2021

Yes. I also have noticed a tunneling use increased recently.

Since I tried DS, i always wear it as perk. Most probably situation is that when a tunneler killer take the DS, he still will restart the chase with you. But al least, he is losing more time and giving you a second chance.

• CringeGame
    CringeGame Member Posts: 25

because game is survivor sided extremely and killers need to get rid of 1 survivor early game or they lose 3 gens under 2 mins

• Apollos

I get these matches so much more often lately and I'm just left thinking, thanks for the gameplay, lol. It feels so rewarding to be in queue for 10 minutes, in-game for 4, with enough points for one or two spots on the bloodweb. I get that killers want to avoid the genrush, but what about the people that don't get to play at all because they're targeted from the start?

Glad to hear about the Leon though. A lot of solo survivors are really awesome in those situations and do everything they can to help out. Teamwork can really be amazing sometimes.

• aroell
    aroell Member Posts: 477

Many killers have lost the sense of kindness, all they care about is that 4K. They will do anything for that nowadays and it’s pretty sad how people can’t enjoy the game anymore. If people keep tunneling survivors will quit and soon killers won’t have anyone to play against.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

Agreed. Best part of soloing or solos are those moments.

I know, those games are tough when you get a string of them together. But at least you get to practice looping.

• Apollos

I wish I could practice looping more. I just work on avoiding certain areas or hiding better. There's been a lot of matches where being downed once means you're likely not doing a whole lot for the rest of the match. I hope things calm down a bit more so I can actually learn lol

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974
    edited June 2021

i stopped keeping track because it has become the default. Works great for the killer but it costs us a perk or two.

It isn't that they didn't see another person either. I've been inserting myself taking protection hits. Sprint Bursting to the killer to get hit so the tunneled person can get some distance and none of them care. Smack me cause I'm there and tunnel then face camp the poor person they found first.

DS, BT, Kindred should be base kit if this is the new normal. Why should it cost us half our perks to counter CONSTANT trash gameplay?

• PanicSquid
    PanicSquid Member Posts: 655

When tunneling comes up, people make the mistake of thinking that all chases are of equal value, they're not.

An injured survivor is more valuable to chase than a healthy survivor and a survivor who has been hooked before is more valuable than a never-hooked survivor.

• aroell

No you really didn’t deserve that, very sorry to hear. But do you think tunneling other innocent people will make it better? I don’t know anyone who has been nice to a tunneler/camper in the end game chat and I don’t think I will find someone who eats the ######### and continues being nice. No one will do that.

• Artemisha

Everybody knows that. If u abuse that mechanic it or not, is your choice. As someone sayed over here is more a kindness / fairplay choice coming from the killer. I don´t play much killer, but when I do I don´t tunnel unless i´m being totally overpassed. People should care about other players experience. We don´t just play to compete. We also play to have fun.

On the other part, if killer is playing avoiding tunneling and camping, survivors should correspond. I personally don´t go genrush on a killer playing nice. But again, this is my point of view on this unbalanced game.

It´s notorious how a lot of DBD torunaments forbid camping and tunneling until EGC. I think the reason is clear. It´s not exciting to watch a game where 2 players are doing nothing and the other guys are rapairing a gen. So yes....tunneling and camping is boring, abusive, and on Solo Q a great Win condition for killers.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,952

There are two reasons tunnelling happens:

The Killer has not found another survivor on the map. (this is why BBQ is great)

The unhooked survivor isn't injured. (survivors need a perk that makes them look injured when they unhook another to fool killers.)

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

The Killer's job is to kill all the Survivors. It isn't personal. It isn't aimed at wrecking your day or upsetting you outside the game. It is the game. People who do garbage and vile salt aren't doing it for an in-game purpose. They are defective people who want to upset someone outside the game. You need to get your priorities straight. In the game, the Killer is not your friend, the opposite in fact.

• aroell

So now we can’t have simple respect for others feelings in a game? The killers objective is to kill, not ruin others games because of their selfishness. I’m sorry but if you can’t play the game without ruining others experience you shouldn’t play.

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109
    edited June 2021

So I had the perk "make your choice"

and I was constantly applying pressure I would instant down the survivor that just went for the unhook, hook them and then go pop a gen and then wait for the next one to get exposed with MYC

the problem was doing this was providing literally ZERO pressure on gens as they were still doing gens super fast.

So then I took off MYC and decided to just tunnel the unhooked survivor till death and then my gen speed problem was solved.

I noticed the next person to go for the unhook was the one who has been hooked the least and by the time I get all 4 of them hooked twice 3-4 gens are done. So by killing that 1 survivor gen speed is reduced to a crawl.

• Moundshroud
    edited June 2021

We do. We all have a social contract. We know the game and what it entails. The Killer's job is to kill you, and the Survivor's job is to escape. Everything within the rules is respecting the feelings of others. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. You seem utterly incapable of separating your personal, real world feelings from the game. That is not healthy. It is a symptom of larger issues. In the game, we take on a role. Playing that role within the rules (and to win) is respectful. I assume, and give you the benefit of the doubt, that you are adult and if you are in the match with me you understand how the game is played. I do not expect you to throw a tantrum when you lose. That is disrespectful.

• Moundshroud

This is an interesting idea; call the Perk, "Lame Duck" or "Decoy." You should make the suggestion in the feedback area. It would add a nice addition to the game.

• Artemisha

If Behaviour would finally buff the hell of Solo Q and give us communication tools, Solo Q would be able to handle this "abuse of the glitch" that is tunneling and camping.

• Moundshroud
    edited June 2021

How exactly? :) Bear in mind that I'm not disagreeing that Solo Queue needs some help, and some extra animations to communicate would be great. I'm asking you how exactly you think that would do anything whatsoever to mitigate camping/tunneling? SWF and their 5th Perk (Comms) is WHY Killers have to play rattlesnake mean. Do you think SWF don't run into Tunneling and Camping to the same degree the Solo do? Killers adapt to the reality of the game.

• aroell

That is not true, if the killer plays fair, even if I die I will say gg. But you can forget about that if you want to tunnel and camp.

• Artemisha

Well....Idk if tunnel and camping happens on the same degree than on Solo Q as I only play solo. I´ve played hard tunnel games since the first hook with 5 gens.

What I mean is that as u say SWF have that amazing "5th perk" (communication) that allows them to play more efficient against any kind of strategie.

Communication commands would be essential for Solo Q. A lot of RTSG have it implemented (" Go for rescue", " Exit door opened", "Killer camping"; etc). That and a Ping System. I´d start over there and check the results.

And when Solo Q would approach on performance as SWF, is when Devs would be able to propperly balance the game and buff the weaker killers so they also have a chance. Blight, nurse and spirit can bear the best SWF. The rest....not much. But vs Solo Q anything can works (specially if you tunnel and camp).

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

It runs in cycles for me. There are days I'll play survivor and I/we don't have anyone on the team tunneled the entire session (4-5 hours of gameplay at a time), and there are those days where it feels like tunneling killers are the norm and not the exception.

The only time I've really felt like it was happening more than normal was the day or two after the DLC release. My friend and I were facing one Nemesis after another, almost all of which were tunneling someone out the gate -- but in most of those cases, it was people trying for Adept, which is why I assumed we were seeing so much of it. (I'm definitely not excusing it for that reason -- it was annoying as hell to go against, but there was at least some logic as to why we were seeing it. The ones who were NOT going for Adept but still tunneling, however ... 🤬).

• Killers are not survivors' entertainers. I play killer to kill, not to amuse survivors

• Moundshroud

What I'm pointing out is that SWF's amazing 5th Perk (Comms) has created the situation we all play in today. Killers adapt to the reality of the game. They play meaner, faster, and are far less forgiving because they have to do so. They don't know if you are a SWF or not. But if they don't treat you like one, their game can be effectively decided in the first two minutes. Let's be honest, tell the truth and shame the devil. There is NOTHING that the DEV can ever do to bring Solo up to be equal to SWF potential OTHER than having Solo on Comms. No amount of animations and in-game communication compares to the power of speech and four people sharing four Perks. The problem isn't Tunneling or Camping. It isn't that Solo Queue isn't strong enough (they were fine and competitive once). It is SWF. That is an ever growing problem.

So while I agree that more communication options for Solo would be great (I also play Solo), I'm pragmatic enough to understand it won't affect the problem you are concerned with in any meaningful way. SWF has to be mitigated by unlocking a 5th Perk whenever Killers face them, as well as buffing Solo a bit in the communication department. 3-Person SWFs need to go away. Either two or four. The Red Shirt situation needs to end. It destroys the Solo Queue's faith in one another when the Red Shirt is used as an asset. There are lots of things that can be done, but bringing Solo UP is just treating a symptom. And it won't work.

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464

More and more boosted killers reach red ranks because matchmaking is garbage as usual. And then they feel insecure when they're suddenly out of their league, so they resort to low-skill strats.

• Artemisha

I know that buff on solo Q won´t turn all the random squads into Oracle, yeh....But game should us the chance to do teamwork and improve our performance (good).

You have also mentioned that killers play the games as if they were SWF as they don´t have the chance to know it. That´s something I heared from a streamer talking about the disparity and unbalance of the game. He said that killers should be able to know if there is a premade on the game. And that makes all the sense.

I don´t care whats the origin of the problem, if Solo Q or SWF. But as SWF exists nowadays and will persist in the future, the gap between these 2 modalities needs to be reduced before any other balance.

I won´t claim balance for other aspects of the game like SWF because I don´t know much about them and all I know is theory and not experience. But Solo Q is totally umpaired. I´ve always have had this suspicion and now I have 0 doubts about that since I saw the Otz +50 win streak with almost every killer. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PVh8RE3uy88YjdOYPA0Xi35b8ReCDteHZo0lFYKw2HI/edit#gid=1920907323)

Let me tell you one more thing about high performance SWF. I use to watch an amateur competitive tournament every weekend. Only rules are related is to have maximum yellow add-ons and win condition is decided by bloodpoints. And they are close games. I´d say the majority of the games are won by killers. But..... they play the same killers all the time (Spirit, Blight, Nurse, Facecamper Bubba...). So, I suppose not every killer is strong enough to face the best teams, but some of them can handle with good chances.

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974

you forgot noed and i have never complained about those perks. There is a difference. One is apt to give a person less time with boots on the ground than in a lobby waiting and the other is a little slowdown.

• ShinVibing
    ShinVibing Member Posts: 19

Most nemesis players tunnel cuz they got no map pressure other than RNG zombies

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562

It's not my job as Killer to PM you and ask if it's okay to try to win because camping and slugging 'ruin your game'. If you can't accept that the enemy team (or player, in this case), is going to play optimally, then maybe PvP games aren't your cup of tea?

My goal, as Killer, is to kill. Not to cater to your feelings and ask if it's okay if I try to win. If me trying to win ruins your gameplay experience, then playing against other people is probably not something you will enjoy.

• aroell

Are you telling me to quit the game because you and many others are selfish? This is the only game I have ever played where people go out of their way to play scummy and say “oh I’m just trying to win” . This game isn’t for you if you are willing to ruin it for others. I paid for this game and I should be able to play it without anyone ruining it.

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710

I have noticed the following:

Lately there was a spike of survivors playing more "efficiently" with new tactics (like holding W as a new one, or playing on a more tournament style), doing gens really quick while the killers get less then 4 or 6 hooks

While having no real way to slow the game down except through régression perks (that gets a bit useless lets be honest, if the survivors play efficiently these régressions aint gonna help much) well killers only got one other way to help and slow the game down/play efficiently themselves, tunneling one or two survivors out of the game

And thus my theory is that as survivors overall start playing in this way, Killers decided to sweat more or tunnel to catch up with their gameplay

The worst is to know that you cannot patch these new tactics

Well i may be wrong with my theory, but thats how i feel while looking back on the past fiew monthes

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,140
    edited June 2021

I've had problems with being tunneled out for a long, long time now. If it's increased, I'm too unlucky of a player to have seen much of a difference. However, I can give some hypotheses as to why tunneling may have increased.

• New players are not given much help. The tutorial doesn't teach anything about pressuring gens. The most intuitive way to play is to focus on a survivor, kill them, then move on to the next survivor. As long as this method mostly works, the player will never even question if there's a different way to play.
    • Gens go fast. Over time, killers who used to go for 12 hooks now feel more pressure to tunnel someone out fast to slow down gens. As more killers tunnel, the survivors push through gens faster. It's a cycle.
    • Killers who experience a lot of toxicity will stop playing nice or possibly stop playing killer altogether. Either way, this means fewer non-tunneling killers. Even empathetic people get worn down over time when they get a lot of hate spewed at them no matter what they do.

It could be any one of those reasons, a combination of the three, or your experience might be completely anecdotal bad luck and not an actual pattern of behavior.

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562

No. What you play is not up to me to decide. I'm not telling you to quit.

But by the same thing; you can't tell me how to play, or shame me for not adhering to your made up rules about 'fair play' that involve telling me to stop trying to win, just because me winning hurts your feelings.

I, also, paid for this game. And, short of cheating, I can try to win within the confines and programmed rules of the game, and I should not be looked down upon because it makes you, or others, feel bad when you lose.