Trickster buffs are interesting

Options
Altarf
Altarf Member Posts: 1,044
edited July 2021 in General Discussions

For those who haven't read the dev update, the short of it is the following:

-6 knives to injure, down from 8. (Buff)

-Laceration takes 10 seconds to decay, down from 20. (Nerf)

-Laceration charges deplete faster in general once Laceration starts decaying. (Nerf)

-Main Event activates in 0.5 seconds, down from 1.5. (Buff)

-Main Event can only be used if you have at least 30 knives. (Nerf)

-Main Event holding time increased to 30 seconds, up from 10 seconds. (Buff)

Also various add-on changes which I won't go into.

What do you think?

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/262994/developer-update-july-2021#latest

Comments

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,690
    Options

The Trickster buffs actually look good except for the laceration decay - that's going to hurt him a lot and really rewards survivors for bringing him to shack or other tricky high wall setups. Basically, I think they magnified his existing attributes - they made him stronger out in the open, where he already excelled at, but weaker against strong loops.

His Main Event buff is good in that it really answers the biggest complaints people had with it - too-long loading time and inability to save it for any length of time. Unsure how the 30-knife requirement will land, though. (Does it require you have 30 knives, or require you to land 30 knives?)

As an aside, I'm loving what they did to No Way Out. It might actually become a viable endgame perk like people originally thought it would be now that it applies when survivors first attempt to open a gate.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

The first point is confusing...

Do they mean 6 to simply INJURE a survivor, and 8 to down them?

Or will it be 6, and 6 to down a survivors?

The only thing I don't think is good is the 30 knife requirement for main event to work. Everything else seem alright.

• Altarf
    Options

You need to have 30 knives on you currently to use Main Event. Normally, this would be awful, but 30 seconds of Main Event holding time should be enough to find a locker and reload.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676
    Options

It's nince, again, it makes him much better just like the movement speed buffs did.

Unfortunately, trick blades with 1 bounce still aren't baseline so I want that to be added.

• Altarf
    Options

6 knives, period. By "down" I meant the number has gone down.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108
    Options

Just let us store the damn main event early

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    Options

Trickster will still be worthless. They didn’t need to nerf anything, yet they did. I also find it funny that they said he is one of the lowest performers when most of the survivor mains on this forum would say he is “pretty good”

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562
    edited July 2021
    Options

Why does Laceration decay faster when running? Running from Killers is what Survivors do!

Once again, the devs show promise, then stumble in the end zone. The decay meter was perfectly fine; not too slow, not too fast.

Now? 10 bloody seconds, and even faster if the Survivors aren't stupid, since RUNNING IS WHAT YOU DO AS A SURVIVOR.

Here's an idea in the same vein; Deep Wounds now Mends if Survivors run. We think this will really balance Legion! 🤦‍♂️

Sorry to get so frustrated, but the buffs seemed fine, and then they spike this guy 3 inches from a touchdown. That decay nerf is unneeded, unwarranted, and so completely over the top.

It's like they just CANNOT buff a Killer without panicking and giving them some sledgehammer nerf to 'compensate'.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,690
    Options

Oh, ew. I thought they increased the number of knives you had to hit to power main event. Yeah, that's a bit painful, because it hampers your ability to use Main Event in a chase. 30 seconds is a much slimmer window if you have to reload for it, because after you've found your locker, you need to locate another survivor, because the one you were chasing has now run off. That should be walked back for sure, or at least made much less restrictive (15, 10, more than one...)

I'm also unsure about the Death Throes Compilation iri addon change. It was pretty situational before, but now it just feels lackluster for an iri. The Iridescent Photocard got a decent buff, though, and it was already buffed with the reduction from 8 knives to 6.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,256
    Options
    • "The number of knives required to damage a Survivor has been reduced to 6 (down from 8)" 

I still don't get if they mean simply to a injure survivor? did they make it you need 6 to injure? And 8 to down?

Because they wrote 'damage' it makes me wonder do mean only to injure? It's kind of vague for me.

• Altarf
    Options

Honestly, I just wish Main Event was reverted to how it was on the PTB. Back then, it didn't auto-fire and you could choose when to throw or not. Just make him faster in Main Event when not throwing, imo.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,882
    Options

You do realize it’s 6 knifes now a good person with god tier aiming will never miss so if you are throwing your blades your going to down them quick remember it’s just a update we will wait and see on Tuesday

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

8 down to 6 is a huge buff for Trickster.

Laceration actually decays faster when NOT running btw. You got this wrong. Higher Numbers = More Decay. Not sure how to feel about that. I'm guessing it's in large part due to the reduced number of knives.

Main Event activating faster is nice.

I'm pretty sure it takes 30 knives to get main event, not that you have to have 30 knives on you. It was 20, now it's 30. I think that's a fair change.

• Altarf
    Options

Sorry, that was unclear. The time for Laceration to START decaying is 10 seconds, this will not change. Running just makes the individual charges deplete faster. They also buffed the same for walking, if I read it correctly.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,534
    Options

No, it currently takes 8 knives to damage, with this change it will only take 6.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,629
    Options

Before: You need 8 Knives to remove a Health State.

Midchapter: You need 6 Knives to remove a Health State.

So basically the Melodious Murder- Add On Basekit.

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109
    edited July 2021
    Options

This whole stupid "decay" is the reason he can't provide any pressure on survivors to begin with.

unlike plague and nemesis you cannot recover from infliction unless you activate an item which could buff the killer in some way.

All you have to do against trickster is hold W in a high wall loop and completely remove any laceration pressure he dealt.

Imagine if you could remove GF exposed over time it would be stupid.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

They are okay-ish, I guess. Not that it really matters for me, as I hate this guy regardless of his strength, or lack of strength.

But I suppose people who play him are happy right now.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    Options

Or that same person with god aim could choose deathslinger and get a health state instantly. Trickster brings nothing to the table.

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562
    Options

Oh, so it takes 10 seconds to star no matter what (barring any addons the Killer may have) but then sprinting makes the hits go away quicker?

I guess that makes a bit of sense; sprinting leaves scratch marks, so sprinting to get rid of your Laceration Charges is a double-edged sword.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

Uh you can remove Ghostface's exposed over time. That's exactly how he works. Now, you can't remove his stalk percent, so he can 99 survivors. But the actual exposed status effect is timed.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

The 6 knife change is strong enough it counters those changes.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Oh God, more Tricksters. Ugh.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

I still don't understand why you can't activate Main Event on your own time. Most of the time when it's ready to use, I've already either A) downed the survivor or B) there is no chance of it being used properly.

• Altarf
    Options

You can now! Admittedly, a 30 second window isn't too long in the grand scheme of things, but it should be enough to get up close. Plus, now with 6 knives to damage and Main Event's high fire rate, it should be much more dangerous.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

It's a substantial buff while the laceration decay change is unsubstantial, imho. Laceration decay timer is reset when hit by a blade. It's very unlikely it will take more than 10 sec between blade hits, even at bad tiles.

Double current Melodious Murder will be basekit and just the version we have now makes a noticeable difference. Imagine two. Stacked throw rate addons will become meta and I won't be surprised if the devs will have to make another pass because everything becomes too overwhelming..

• Lord_Tony
    Options

I'm wondering why he was already given some pretty heavy nerfs to "compensate" especially considering he already has a 40m lullaby

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

Sure, but he's still a 110% killer. Every obstacle in the game blocks his knives. It takes him 30 seconds alone to catch up to a survivor after a hit.

I'm not saying the buffs aren't nice, but again, I'm still hamstrung by his limitations with his own power.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

Oh boy,double throw rate addons on maps like Macmillan or Autohaven is gonne be REALLY fun 😩

• Altarf
    Options

In terms of Laceration going away faster, that's because his knives are more dangerous now. If old Laceration decay time was kept, it would be kinda ridiculous because of how easily he could fill the gauge up.

I'm fine with it, personally.

• sensovsky
    sensovsky Member Posts: 102
    Options

more opressive in chase, still not any map pressure. still gonna be #########, but more unfun in chase. this update just shows that they don't know what they are doing lol

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923
    Options

Thank god trickster is getting a buff but a slight issue I have with this is it kinda furthers the worse huntress/huntress if you cant aim thing with him. With it being more of a quick burst playstyle it really sounds way more simalar. Its no longer about chaining together a bunch of hits its about just getting 1 good burst like slinger or huntress.

• Equus
    Equus Member Posts: 322
    Options

Yes, really happy with these changes. I really enjoy trickster and I feel that with these changes they have taken some of the frustration out of playing him. 6 blades to damage will be a gamechanger, the amount of times I couldn't get that last blade in before the survivor turns a corner.... that problem is solved. I think main event could actually be more viable and fun because you get the chance to keep it longer and activate it faster, altho I will have to test it out but it sounds good.

I never played around laceration decay since it wasn't a viable strategy to begin with so I don't expect to have an issue with this especially with the required knives going from 8 to 6.

Add on rework seems good; I have a ridiculous large pile of lucky blade and waiting for you watch so yeah they really needed a change. Iridescent photocard already was extremely powerful and keeps it's power which is fine since it's an iri add on. Melodious murder will hopefully be as quick as equipping iron maiden but we'll see, if so this is a nice add on.

Starstruck is my guilty pleasure perk and now they made the other two perks worth running in a fun build so I'm excited to try them out.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

This should massively reduce his chase time. Very happy reading of the Developer Update.

• Lord_Tony
    Options

"more dangerous"

but again if the survivor breaks line of sight and you had 5 knives in them then that laceration will decay and you essentially did nothing to them.

That's the opposite of pressure.

meanwhile huntress and deathslinger can just hit you from a long ass distance and instantly move your health state. Deathslinger even causes mending.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

I think they don't quite understand why he's weak. These changes as a whole are bizarre if you're trying to *buff* him.

He's still weak with 6 knives to injure. And they gave him additional nerfs to laceration decay to compensate for the buff that would have kept him weak anyway on its own. He's weak in large part because of the whole laceration decay mechanic.

And then we get to Main Event. Having this on a timer at all means the ability is bad. You can't put a 110 killer ability on a timer with these egregious map sizes when that killer has literally nothing else going for them. 30 non-threatening knives with laceration decay for an ability on a 30 second timer that I can hop in a locker to avoid.

• Razorbeam
    Razorbeam Member Posts: 594
    Options

On the plus side though a team can't win a game living in the killer shack

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

This has been my experience as well. This will make those handful of window blades much more significant.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    Options

They need to remove his recoil, it's extremely frustrating to miss knives because RNG dicks you even though you aimed perfectly. This can also kick in multiple times IN A ROW and cause you to miss a lot, it's really annoying and serves no purpose, please delete it.

• Khorzad
    Khorzad Member Posts: 143
    Options

We Trickster Mains had to wait 3 months for this...yeah, this is pretty underwhelming. Would it kill them to have a straight buff for a killer,?like, he is the weakest, you even noted that! Because, lets review:

-An already exiting add-on to base. Good, but it is not going to change him that much.

-The laceration nerf is just going to make him even worse in high walls and loops with no visibility, it is too much. Either don’t nerf it (the obvious choice) or just nerf it to 15 seconds, that is more reasonable than 10.

-The issue with Main event is that, if the survivor reaches a high wall lop or even something that more or less covers them, ME is even harmful than using base power, because the survivor can see where you are going and it is impossible for you to hit them. The buff is good, but for it and ME to be meaningful and not just be ignored more now, just make it like Oni, that you can activate it at any time and if you deactivate it, you don’t need to start from 0.

-“ Fizz-Spin Soda: This one is a slight tweak; the bonus has been decreased to the effect of 2 knives. The initial rate bonus granted before was a little too high which made it an obvious choice every time. “

So because the add-on was actually good and was used too much, you nerfed it? Whyyyy?

-The rest of the add-ons and the buffs to the perks are nice, that I have to admit.

But I still hope that we get a lot of changes from the PTB to live, because if not, the Trickster is going to remain the same as he was before this “buff”.

Seriously, just make his blade ricochet once in base, why is that so hard to understand?

• Lord_Tony
    Options

FIrst of all it's not the fact you run out of knives that's the problem it's the fact that if a survivor breaks line of sight on your 5th blade (which is highly likely due to trickster being a 110% killer) then in 10 seconds laceration will decay and you essentially did NOTHING to them. The worst you did was mildly inconvenienced them.

He's not going to be "very dangerous" now because by the time you landed 3-4 knives into a person huntress has already hit them with a hatchet and moved a health state or even straight up downed them with iri head.

Deathslinger will also move a health state before you even get to your 6th knife with trickster AND deathslinger causes mending.

If laceration didn't decay and required something like mending I could see trickster providing some pressure but it doesn't and trickster has no ######### pressure.

• Lord_Tony
    Options

I really don't understand why they won't let you save main event.

I know they said they wanted it to be "spontaneous"

but if you can 99 main event then it's not "spontaneous"

• Lord_Tony
    Options

and also the difference is neither huntress nor deathslinger has a "decay"

so if you hit them you put pressure on them.

if you can't land the 6th hit with trickster and it fully decays you wasted your time and barely inconvenienced the survivor.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,929
    Options

its just going to make him annoying without addressing his weaknesses

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012
    Options

Trickster will be still weak killer. I did not liked buffs, he needs rework. Because him design is ridicilous and weak.

Also why he can not keep Main Event for use later? This is also another question.

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531
    Options

Ehh, I don't really see how these "buffs" change much.

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012
    Options

Yes but they nerfed him add-ons and now decay is faster. And he is slow killer, if you are using knifes you are slower. This is makes him so weak. You can keep him in loop so long because he can not hurt you fast with m2 and for m1 he is slow.

DS and Huntress also slow when they are shooting survivors. But they can take one health state with one hit. But Trickster will need 6 hits for one health state. And did i said, he is slow? He will buff from D to D.