Should DBD be balanced around the highest level players?

Comments

• NaigEtarip
    NaigEtarip Member Posts: 60

In my opinion you can't balance DBD as long as there's no better way of tracking competency.

Ideally, the matches to take statistics from would have all players as equally competent as possible. This should filter imbalances related to play time.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,291
    edited July 2021

It should be a healthy balance of casual players and above average players who determine the balance of the game.

Casual players help dictate what can be fun and above average skill players can help dictate sensible features and avoid frustrating gameplay features. Again a healthy balance is needed you shouldn't prioritize one or the other.

The real question is - Do you trust BHVR to take feedback from the right people?

• Customapple0
    Customapple0 Member Posts: 629

Issue is where will the skill ceiling for killer or survivor end?

For reference Nurse has a very high skill ceiling, however that just results in almost guaranteed 4k’s every match in the hands of an experienced player, is that balanced?

• Troman
    Troman Member Posts: 264

In some other games yes, but in DBD high level is different for solo, Killer and SWF, it's even different for different Killers, as long as the gaps between solo/SWF/Killer are so big, it's not gonna work well. Solo survivors are already struggling, because DBD is being balanced around SWF now.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,438
  • Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911

Spirit - Mostly QoL changes, giving the survivors information and meaningful counterplay, wouldn't necessarily be a nerf but more just increasing the fun factor

Because i play more casually and for fun.

Nurse - I have no idea, i feel like she is really outdated so i guess a full rework? But i have no suggestions, and im not that passionate about the nurse topic.

Overall its fine to have strong killers in the game, i just want them to be fun to play as and against.

• Reinami

Saying spirit needs "counterplay" or "fun factor" added, is just a nerf.

You cannot fundamentally hold the idea that the game cannot be balanced around high level players, but then want spirit changed when she isn't that strong in the hands of "average" killers. If you do, you show your survivor bias.

• Luciferr_2nd

Technically it would be a nerf, but the point isn't to make her weaker, but to make her more fun.

Also, spirit is strong in the hands of "average" killers, it doesnt take the top 0.01% of players to get a 4k with spirit.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 934
    edited July 2021

There are multiple issues with balancing approaches to DbD.

To start with, the game is asymmetrical, so balancing it for high-level play is difficult. "Balance" in symmetrical competitions actually scales with skill levels pretty linearly, but in an asymmetrical format what would be balanced in a high-skill setting might be completely skewed once you have varying levels of skills involved. Particularly, the killer side benefits much more from player skill because the skill of the player constitutes the entire killer side of the balance equation, whereas any single survivor player cannot possibly do everything alone, they constitute in theory only 25% of the survivors' side of that equation. Simply put, if a survivor player is more skilled than a killer player, that does not necessarily put the survivor side at an advantage in the match; on the contrary, if a killer player is more skilled than a survivor player, that should usually have a lot more of an impact on the outcome of the round. Again, the impact the killer player's skill can have on a match is four-fold that of any individual survivor player's, in theory. I think this is a major reason why the game in its current and past state (that is, with a matchmaking system that throws players together more or less willy-nilly) is notably killer-sided, in the public game mode.

Then there is the fact that every single match has different competitive starting conditions: map, killer, items, add-ons, perks, offerings - they all affect balance in different significant ways, and you cannot achieve a global balance for all of these things. Clown is a relatively weak killer, but use Redhead's Pinky Finger and you are a much greater threat. In order to account for these things, a balance approach would end up getting impractically complicated, such as... different generator repair times based on which killers, add-ons, items and such are in play. It's just not feasible.

And then there is the fact that the performance potential differences between solo, duo, trio and quad SWF survivor groups are tremendous. Balancing for the "highest level" would mean balancing for the idea of a team of 4 highly-skilled survivors that know each other, play together frequently, therefore have natural and tactical teamwork, coordinate their loadouts and strategies down to a T, and communicate constantly in practiced and efficient manners via voice chat. This is just factually a possibility of something that can happen in the game, it constitutes the highest level of performance a survivor side can reach. Yet in the actual game, we know that groups of 4 players queueing together only make up roughly 5% of the global player pool. Of those 5%, an even significantly smaller portion is comprised of 4 highly-skilled players. And of that tiny portion, even less are then also groups that play together all the time and have those coordinated loadouts, strategies and communication. It's simply vanishingly rare. You will basically never face a survivor team performing at the highest possible level in public matchmaking, even in years of gameplay.

This is not to say there isn't balancing possible in DbD. The game has of course become increasingly more balanced throughout the years, and there are still balance-relevant things left to be changed. For example, some killer characters are clearly weaker than others and there is no reason why they couldn't all be buffed to sit more toward the level of lethality that currently makes for the higher tier (with add-ons). But not Nurse or Spirit level. Basekit Blight level (or maybe Blight with Blighted Rat level, to be more precise). Other killers (such as Nurse and Spirit) and/or add-ons (such as Alchemist's Ring and Mother-Daughter Ring) could be adjusted downward to fit in with that level of lethality. Not only are there no issues associated with all killers being more equal in strength, but once they are, balancing base-game mechanics and specifics becomes much easier since you don't have to account for such a wide variety of killer performance potentials. For instance, I believe that basekit versions of Ruin and even NOED could be feasible for some killers... but that would obviously be insane to consider that for a killer like Nurse.

Other balancing that is possible is closing the performance potential gap between solo and SWF groups. The easiest way to get a good chunk of the way there would be to give survivors in-game voice communcation. Everything else is a much more complicated and convoluted undertaking, though I do believe that limiting SWF performance potential is much easier than improving that of solo groups, not least because killers would not have to be buffed to compensate. Things like limiting perks and items or decreasing generator repair speeds based on the number of players in an SWF group would be simple and effective ways to get more level playing fields.

And for something that BHVR is thankfully working on already (even though it took and still takes way too long to actually be implemented): The matchmaking system is one of the main leverage points to achieve a better live experience balancing. In the current rank-based matchmaking system, the skill disparity at any rank can be and regularly is huge. Players with 100 hours are treated no differently from players with 4000 hours. A "skill-based" matchmaking system that actually more consistently matches players with similar levels of skill, experience and success will make for a much more balanced global game experience, and also one that provides much better statistics for BHVR to then use in further balancing decisions.

• Luciferr_2nd

I never said we should use these statistics to balance the game...

The low kill rate indicates she has a high skill ceiling and that's fine

• Reinami
    edited July 2021

Everyone always says this type of thing. Let me ask you, if you balance for high level players what changes? You have a few sets of survivors

• Ones who go down in 10 seconds because they don't understand the game
    • Ones who go down in several minutes due abusing mechanics and being able to abuse broken RNG loops.

And you have players to varying degrees in between those 2.

Let's say you nerf the loops, or mechanics that make it so those survivors who waste minutes of a killers time can no longer do that, now they go down in 60 seconds. What happens to the other survivors?

The ones who go down in 10 seconds, are still going to go down in 10 seconds. You didn't make the game worse for them, but you made it better for the high level players.

• ScottJund
    ScottJund Member Posts: 1,115

1.) This will not reduce the running in circles meta, whatsoever. It is still by far the most optimal form of movement even if killers can round corners slightly better.

2.) Bloodlust is unfortunately still needed for several insanely broken setups like the House of Pain on Haddonfield, etc. Once every map is fixed, then I'd agree.

3.) Introducing additional objectives would 100% make the game harder to win for non SWF players. I don't know how you could possibly argue otherwise. Its even more stuff to communicate and organize.

4.) Removing a blood point cap does nothing to actually affect the balance of the game.

5.) Again, bloodpoints have nothing to do with the balance of the game.

• ScottJund

You seem to not really have any knowledge on the subject despite being arrogant about it, so I'll explain why Evolve died:

1.) You couldn't always play the role you wanted to play. This created a huge issue immediately. Its like if you wanted to play killer but the game said no, you're playing Survivor now.

2.) Microtransactions that make Behavior look like saints.

3.) Ironically, they massively pushed e-sports for the game despite the fact it does not at all work in these types of games.

4.) The monster basically had no way to do anything until they hit Stage 3, which created an incredibly bland early game where the much stronger hunters would just beat the hell out of the monster until they got Stage 3 .

5.) Much like DBD, very high level coordinated teams would usually defeat the monster. This I agree with. And yet, Evolve died in less than a year and DBD is still going strong after 5 years, so obviously that's not a mitigating factor whatsoever.

• Reinami
    edited July 2021

I wonder if you will still hold your belief that the game should not be balanced around high level play when MMR happens and every single game you play will require you to play nurse. Because you will be one of those players. You are good at this game and you play it so much you are going to be high MMR. Maybe you can avoid it by playing "memey" on some killers but eventually it will catch up to you.

I know from your videos that you don't like the idea of MMR, but the devs are obviously pushing it. So it is going to happen.

• zarr

This seems relatively obvious to me. That entire realm of those "varying degrees" between the two extremes of survivor skill levels would suffer a lot from changes aimed to decrease the overall survivor performance ceiling. Using your example, say you have a performance potential spectrum ranging from really bad players that last 10 seconds in chases to really good ones that last 2 minutes. The average performance that would make for the majority playing experience in that environment is survivors roughly lasting a minute. Now if you decrease the ceiling to 1 minute for the best players, average players will only be expected to last around 30 seconds. By limiting the spectrum you are hampering the average performance significantly. And in the current environment the average survivor performance is already not enough for them to survive 50% of the time.

To note: I'm not saying there aren't busted setups that can spawn, or maps that are busted altogether. Absolutely there are, not like I think Cowshed is totally fine, the "peak performance potential" of a highly-killed survivor on that map against much of the killer line-up is just oppressively high. Like I said, there are still absolutely balance-relevant changes left to ideally be made to the game, for both roles. I hope MMR will be enabled for good sooner rather than later - I believe it will highlight for the devs very clearly some of the glaring balance issues in the game. I mean, just look at the fact that in the current willy-nilly matchmaking system, even the least-deadly killer on the most survivor-favoured map still averages more than 2 kills per match, even in red ranks. Likewise the fact that Nurse has one of the lowest kill rates, also even in red ranks. This would change significantly in the statistics of an MMR environment. And BHVR really does look at stats a lot. So I think the eventual activation of MMR will be the first step to larger balance adjustments. Hopefully.

• ScottJund

Every game won't require me to play Nurse because I have no Nurse MMR. Either way yeah I am not looking forward to it. Certainly going to be punished for playing Demo and Blight who are just my favorite killers.

• Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236

Poker is also heavily rng, and yet there are people that consistently win. The difference is poker is actually balanced so everyone has a fair chance

• Edgars_Raven

If shes facing off against people that dont have an equal amount of experience in playing against good nurses, yes. If shes playing against the best survivors and shes the best nurse and still 4ks every game, no.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

because there is an entire mental game behind poker that even outclasses the RNG aspect.

DbD doesnt have any of that. if DbD decides you go to Fractured Cowshed and spawns some really strong tiles really close together, your skill hardly matters.

• Reinami

That's not actually true though, but admittedly i glanced over that due to time. Again, i can't possibly list of every level of skilled survivor, but let's look at that middle ground and break the game into 5 types of survivor players.

• Survivors who go down in 10 seconds because they don't know how to play the game (where we all started)
    • Survivors who have an understanding of how the game works and go down in 20 seconds.
    • Survivors who understand how basic tiles and pallets work and can win mindgames against the killer sometimes at certain tiles. These ones, when they win the mindgame, can last 60 seconds, but when they don't they go down in 30 seconds.
    • Survivors who have a strong understanding of tiles and can win mindgames most of the time, so they go down in 60 seconds at a tile.
    • Survivors who are tournament level players who can exploit tiles to, depending on RNG, be completely uncatchable, or waste several minutes of the killers time.

Again, if you fix the ones that can waste minutes of someone's time, it doesn't affect the others as harshly, but i do agree they aren't completely immune. But the difference between these isn't like, you fix high level survivors so now everyone else goes down in 10 seconds. That isn't how it will work out.

• The ones who go down in 10 seconds, still go down in 10 seconds
    • The ones who go down in 20 seconds, still go down in 20 seconds.
    • The ones who understand how tiles work and can mindgame the killers, initially will have to relearn the mindgames and would have a harder time if the tiles are changed significantly, but they have shown the capacity to learn these things and will continue to get better and learn.
    • Survivors who heavily know the tiles will initially have to relearn tiles, but they have shown mastery over each individual tile and will easily get to that level again after only a few days really.
    • Survivors at this level are the most affected.
  • Edgars_Raven

Dbd has no mental aspect at all? You think the survivor clicking their flashlight in your ear because they know theyre the best runner on the team isnt mental? Or the killer that slaps the survivor on hook and face camps so the swf will come to tge rescue, nothing mental their? How about faking vaukts snd moin walking, nothing mental their eitger. Or tbagging to get the killer tilted so he makes mistakes. Yup. Nothing mental in this game at all 😂

There are so many variables that go into the make up of a match that bad rng doesnt immediately mean you lose. Heres an obvious example. Pit me against a swf of legit r20s on cowshed and give them the best setup possible im going to win everytime. They can have 25 pallets, wont matter. It can mean that, but its not a given immediately. I beat a swf on cowshed yesterday with legion, i also got my ass handed to me by a swf on cowshed with legion. Im not saying rng doesnt matter, it does, but its not everything

• zarr

It would indeed be impossible to go into all the different nuances of skill levels that go into chaseplay, that spectrum is pretty huge. Therefore I find it unreasonable to assume that it would be possible to make significant balancing changes that actually only really affect the highest level of that gameplay without having a big ripple through the other levels. In fact I even find the admittedly overly simplistic conception of that relationship more realistic still, i. e. that cutting the top performance ceiling in half would also halve the average performance expectation.

But like I said, there are definitely more targeted, specific, less global, more "surgical" balance changes that can be made that won't really be problematic for the average experience but solve problems at the upper end. Such as re-addressing the safety and spawn patterns of pallet-containing structures on Cowshed. The average survival rate on that map is not even all that different from a bunch of others, but it's definitely one of the most survivor-sided maps in the game. So it is reasonable to think that map can be tamed for the high level without affecting the average too much. And there are more specific examples like that. But the idea that "survivor gameplay at large" would have to be significantly limited so that the best players cannot reach the heights that they do now is just not realistic. But maybe you aren't even one of the people advocating for "survivor nerfs" without that caveat.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,956

Balancing a game around high level players is a bad idea and can be almost pointless.

• Reinami
    edited July 2021

Name a single competitive game that has lasted more than 10 years that isn't balanced for high level players.

• Yatol
    edited July 2021

League of legends

there hasn't been many competitive games that lasted more than 10 years, wich most where balanced around high level players

• Reinami

But if the game is not balanced at high level play, why would i bother playing it and getting better? Why bother learning new things or improving? Why bother even playing.

If chess at a high level was played such that white won 95% of the time and black won 5% of the time, do you think anyone would actually play chess?

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    edited July 2021

i am saying that the mental aspects this game has can not outclass the RNG, as is the case in Poker.

Poker essentially makes the game itself secondary. people play with each others minds, each others thoughts. in poker you can either win by having a good hand (RNG) or by making everyone else believe you got one that, at least, is better than theirs. if everyone else quits, you can win even with the worst possible cards.

and DbD does not have that.

EDIT: your example with the rank 20s is still RNG, as the game randomly decided to give you rank 20s as opponents. you will not be able to consistantly pull that off, because you have no controll over it. thats literally just proving the point im making.

• Reinami

You are definitely wrong about that, and believe me i know.

• Reinami
    edited July 2021

Natural Selection.

CS:GO (1 side defense and 1 side attacks, different weapons).

Rainbow 6: Siege.

• ScottJund

Oh please, don't even try to lump CS:GO and R6S in the same category of asymmetrical that Dead by Daylight is.

• Yatol

about what League of legends? the game where the community keep complaining about "non sensical buffs/nerfs" that dont even affect high level players? Where dev released a dev diary explaining they don't balance the game around high level players?

or that there hasn't been many completive games that lasted more than 10 years which most where balanced around high level players? Overwatch is dying and that game killed its player base by focusing almost exclusively on high level players

every dead game I know where balanced around high level players

you can't just go "you're wrong" and not elaborate, i will not accept "dude trust me" otherwise all I have for you is "no u"

• Reinami

But that's the point. Every single game has some level of asymmetry. It just has varying degrees of it.

As someone who grew up playing CS, i can tell you that there is MASSIVE difference between the 2 sides. Attack vs defense in a game of slow paced, holding angles calculated play makes both sides play VASTLY differently within the context of that game.

Fighting games have asymmetry between different characters, even in mirror matches, you play on different sides. Character classes, abilities, skills, talents, levels, gear, different weapon choices all contribute to asymmetry.

Even CHESS has some level of asymmetry.

Eternal Return, is releasing a character soon that literally wins the game (a battle royal) by doing something entirely different than every other character in the game. And i don't mean like, different abilities, i mean that they literally have a different win condition.

Just because there is asymmetry does not mean you can't have balance.

• zarr

There are a few issues with the rhetoric of those questions as I see it. Again, high-level matches are almost non-existently rare in the current matchmaking environment, so much so that if you are looking for high-level play, you already have no real reason to be playing this game. Unless you are playing in tournaments, but then if you are playing in tournaments, the game is actually reasonably balanced: in tournaments, both teams play both sides, the asymmetrical format of the game is broken by a symmetrical tournament format, and therefore all balance concerns that stem from that asymmetrical game format are also irrelevant; if both teams have to play the same killer character, both sides suffer and benefit equally from how weak that killer is or isn't.

In general, the reason you would want to bother getting better at DbD is because it's fun and satisfying, and because being good at the game actually does reward you. Even at the very top level the game is not nearly a "95% to 5%" affair, 2-4ks happen in tournaments all the time (and this is ignoring the fact that again, in tournaments killer vs. survivor balance does not even matter as a competitive premise in and of itself), so becoming a better player allows you to perform more successfully even there. To take an example for this from a topic you brought up in a recent conversation with me: Dowsey played Spirit against Oracle and did not do too well, getting 1ks with 4-6 hook stages if I remember correctly. Yet Dowsey is a very experienced and solidly-skilled killer player, he is definitely a "1%" killer main. If you look at tournaments, there have been players that kinda demolished Oracle. At least, there have been instances of them getting 4k'd by Spirits, and getting 2-3k'd is not even all that rare. So you can see that even from a multiple-thousand hour veteran player that streams the game more or less as a job there is still quite a steep curve up to the "0.1%" of players. The vast majority of players will never reach those heights, even Dowsey himself said it takes a ton of consistent practice against those high-level teams to perform at that level, and that he is not in the mindset and practice and experience to do so. I'm not saying you will never reach those levels, but if you aren't already competing in tournaments on the regular, chances are you still have a pretty huge, rewarding room for improvement.

...And then in public matchmaking (read: 99% of the gameplay experiences being had in this game), becoming better actually allows you to do very well on a consistent basis. In fact, getting better is much, much more rewarding on the killer side in that environment. As a survivor you will always be at the mercy to a large extent of your fellow survivors' levels of skills, experience, knowledge and even their levels of trying to win the game to begin with. Whereas as a killer, your performance is fundamentally in your hands, you constitute 100% of the performance potential of the killer side, you can decide which killer you play with which loadout and the way in which you play, all of your skills and experience translate completely into your "side's" performance. That this is true is easy to demonstrate: the best survivor players in this game die all the time in public matchmaking; the best killer players almost never lose. Take Dowsey, who as mentioned is not even at the very very top. He has 4k streaks of hundreds of matches in a row. So do other players, with a variety of killers very much including the weaker ones. There are Nurse players with 500+ game 4k streaks. The consistency with which you can dominate as killer in public matchmaking if you are good at the game is impressive. If you like winning, becoming better in DbD should be really attractive to you, all the more so as a killer player.

• Reinami
    edited July 2021

This brings me to my ultimate point though, you are very outspoken about how spirit needs nerfs or changes. Yet some content creators post videos about how you can counter spirit and yours, and the communities, argument is "those spirits are bad"

You can't fundamentally say: "the game should not be balanced around high level players" and also "nurse and spirit need nerfs" In fact, using your logic, the devs need to BUFF nurse because, by the stats, in the hands of the "average" player that you so desperately want to balance the game around, nurse is the worst kill in the game.

You also in one video, say "spirit's counterplay is boring, you just drop pallets and hope it works" and yet that is exactly what high level survivors do, hold w, and drop pallets. Why is it ok for survivors to be boring, but not a killer?

• ScottJund

Right but I've never said Nurse (other than Omegablink which was ridiculous) or Spirit need to be nerfed so I'm not sure what your point is.

You also create a false argument of "why its okay for survivors to be boring but not a killer." Its not. Its not okay survivors can just spam drop 20 safe pallets on the game either.

• Reinami

This argument is also flawed about "high level matches are rare in matchmaking" for several reasons.

1) MMR is coming, whether you like it or not. If someone is high MMR, every match they play will be high-level. Even Scott admits he hates this and will be a problem. If balance between the 2 sides is not addressed, MMR will end this game one way or another.

2) Just because something is rare doesn't mean it isn't important. Let's imagine for a second we had a killer offering that existed in the game. It had a 0.1% chance to appear in the bloodweb and does the following:

• All survivors are permanently exposed.
    • the aura of all survivors is permanent revealed to the killer.
    • The killer automatically gets maximum point bonuses for bloodpoints and pips in all categories.
    • The killer's movement speed is increased by 100%. (double)

Now, would such an offering be balanced, fair and undeserving of change? It's power would mean that it likely would be banned in tournament play, so we don't have to worry about that. And in average level of play, it would only appear 1 out of every 1000 games, so it should be fine right?

• Reinami
    edited July 2021

And yet i'm saying it should be fixed, and every time i do the response is always "that's only high level survivors and is so rare, we shouldn't balance around that" Do you see my point?

And you always are careful and say spirit needs "counterplay" which, let's be honest, that would be a nerf. You even admit it in your videos that adding counterplay to spirit would be nerfing her.

• zarr

As someone who grew up playing CS, i can tell you that there is MASSIVE difference between the 2 sides. Attack vs defense in a game of slow paced, holding angles calculated play makes both sides play VASTLY differently within the context of that game.

Don't wanna intrude on your larger discussion with Scott Jund (though I do believe he has a point with DbD's asymmetrical nature posing unique problems for the balancing approach, as I've stated myself before), but this argument doesn't hold. In CS you change sides at the half-time point, both teams play both sides and have equal opportunities of performing on both sides. There is no asymmetry in the competitive premise (similar to how DbD tournaments do it, though obviously DbD has a bunch of RNG aspects CS has none of, so CS is definitely still more competitively viable).

• Reinami
    edited July 2021

Not exactly true, you do change sides but not necessarily at the "halfway point" of the match.

For example, a CS:GO game is played for 30 rounds, if a team wins 16 rounds, they win. you switch sides in the "halfway point" at 15 rounds played. But, the score isn't necessarily the same, and it carries over. If my team won 15 rounds, we only need to win the pistol round, so you just played the entire game without "really" switching sides that much. You don't equally get to play both sides in a single match of CS:GO.

In this case, let's say the game was balanced such that CTs won 90% of the time. You'd have matches where you go 13-2 in the first half, but then the second team has massive pressure, where a single round lost is far more punishing to them and they have a huge hill to climb. Psychologicallyit would be a problem.

Personally i'm not experienced enough in R6 to know if the same is true there as i haven't played it before, but i have watched it a bit, but definitely not qualified to really comment on it much other than the one liner i said.

But i do understand your point, but my entire argument is that EVERY game has levels of asymmetry and can be balanced, and just because there is asymmetry does not mean it can't be balanced.

• ScottJund
    edited July 2021

In literally none of these examples are the the 1v4 nature of DBD, which is why the comparisons make no sense. In CS, if one of your teammates gets AWP'd through the dust2 doors within the first 5 seconds of the match, your side can still easily win the round. In DBD, if one of your teammates dies with 5 gens up, you cannot win in any possible way. You keep ignoring the 1v4 aspect that separates DBD from every single thing you are talking about.

• Reinami
    edited July 2021

In CS:GO i'll give you that is true due to the very high TTK, but there are plenty of games where the snowball potential is massive that still hold some level of asymmetry. For example Starcraft has a massive snowball potential, so much so that if you have one bad fight, you often just surrender, because otherwise you'd spend 30 minutes of a slow drawn out game that you are "guaranteed" to lose. The same can be true for MobAs which, again, have some level (yes, not nearly as much as dbd, but it does exist) of asymmetry. If you have 1 player on your team dying a lot in a moba, you probably just lost your team the whole game.

However, it sounds like to me you are saying that the game can't be balanced because it is both a team game, that relies on the 1v4, but is also asymmetrical.

What is so different about asymmetrical games that you can't have balance? The cardgame Netrunner for example, is pretty damn balanced, even though both sides have completely different win conditions.

If your point is that it's hard, i'll agree with you there. The asymmetry aspect definitely makes it harder. but it doesn't make it impossible.

• zarr

My point isn't that it doesn't matter because it's rare, but an overall balancing approach affecting the entire game should not be based upon high-level matches because they are (vanishingly) rare. As I said, there are definitely specific issues with high-level DbD that can and should be addressed, but it's more complicated than saying that because high-level DbD is this or that survivor-sided, we need this or that amount of survivor nerfs. Which you aren't even necessarily doing, I don't know. But lots of people have pretty unreasonable suggestions for such "balance" changes based on their (much of the time very limited and otherwise skewed) understanding of high-level DbD.

For MMR, like I said, I expect the playing experience to change with it (if the system actually functions well), and as such also a different balance approach to go alongside with it, with time. But it's not as dramatic as you make it out to be either. Using Scott as an example, this last round of MMR tests he himself said he had mostly more pleasantly challenging experiences. And he still won most of his matches pretty decisively, as usual.

I would not defend that offering. It would be a specific example of an indeed problematic mechanic in the game - again, I'm not denying there are still such mechanics on the survivor side too (and on the killer side, for that matter). Specific problematic things, not sweeping, profound balance concerns.

• Reinami

@ScottJund

Let me ask you this. If DbD's balance was flipped such that killers won overwhelmingly a large amount of time at the high level, but in "average" play, killers lost most of the time, would you still think that the game should only be balanced around those "average" level of players?

• zarr
    edited July 2021

No, sorry, you are wrong about this. If team A won 15 rounds on their CT side, including the pistol round, then team B also has to do so on their CT side after the switch if they want to match that performance. If they cannot, team A has simply performed better on their CT side than team B. You can also reverse it to see that it is a symmetrical affair: team B did not manage to win a single of their T rounds, including the pistol round; if team A manages to win even a single of their T rounds, including the pistol round, they have performed better on the T side than team B.

There is absolute symmetry in the competitive premise of CS. The only asymmetry there can be found is a purely psychological or emotional one, albeit for that it is very subjective whether things are actually a detriment or benefit. Some players break under the pressure of trying to fight back from a 15-0 half, some strive in that environment. Some players fly on the back of a 15-0 half to end the game 16-0 in dominating fashion, some people start to get complacent or otherwise sloppy and give away the entire lead. All of these things can and have happened, probably in equal amounts in competitive CS history.

But you are right that asymmetry is not fundamentally exclusive to balance. It's definitely a rather different balance approach however, I believe.

• ScottJund

Yes, but if I had to answer the question of "If balance can't be perfect and had to lean a certain way" I would always prefer it slightly favor survivors as the game simply needs 4x as many Survivor players in order to not have horribly queue times that would kill the game.

• MrSmashem
    MrSmashem Member Posts: 161

You should always balance around the highest level of play, that ensures that the game is truly balanced or as close to it, as possible. When you balance around anything else, the game falls apart. It becomes "did I lose because I played poorly, or did I lose because I've exceeded the balance threshold and there was nothing I could do?" Competition should be as fair as possible and the answer to losing should always come down to either "I played poorly," or "they played better than me."

Why anyone would want a game that's fundamentally broken and imbalanced, is beyond me, unless they just want to be rewarded for mediocrity and feel good without putting the work in. In that case, I still don't know how you can feel good about yourself, the game is basically holding your hand. I don't feel good when I bowl a strike if my ball bounced off the gutter bumpers to get it.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

High level players should be in their own queues.