Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

R.P.D map is painful

Zokenay
Zokenay Member Posts: 1,158

Its a freaking labyrinth in there, i constantly get lost and run in circles...

I appreciate how faithful it is to the RE version but my god, this map is terrible gameplay wise

Comments

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

Yeah it's too damn big. They really need to break up the top floor and the bottom floor into their own maps. I agree that the attention to detail is amazing, but it makes for a truly awful DBD map.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Its great. Maybe should have played re2 or 3 first to learn the layout.

• TheClownIsKing

Not really. It’s easy to see why BHVR chose RCPD. Resident Evil is one of the most popular franchises of all time. It’s natural that BHVR would presume many DBD players would already be familiar with the layout of RCPD.

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012

Map is great lol. What are you talking about. Problem is finding gen is little hard but this is because map is new.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

I like the map :/

• patchoulisun
    patchoulisun Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2021

I've played on it three times now and matches have been god awful every single time. Not a single gen gets done because no one knows where anything is, and we all end up dying. I accidentally let someone die on hook because I couldn't find them. It's my fault for not having a good sense of direction, but I gotta say it doesn't make me like the map. Also I do understand it's new and I'm sure once people are more acquainted with it things will be normal.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

I would rather play on Lamkin Lane or Midwitch School than this one anytime.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I love The Game and Haddonfield is alright, still think RPD is a labyrinth. I haven't played RE2 in over 15 years and I ain't about to get the remake to learn the layout. Well, actually, I might. Who knows? Sure DBD would prefer I spend that cash money on their game, though, so really its in their best interest to fix it. Chop chop, Behavior! /s

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378
    edited July 2021

imo they did a poor job, yeah it's faithful but that is another way of saying "minimal effort". You can't just copy paste the map from a game in a totally different genre and be done with it.

The silent Hill school was almost tailormade for a dbd style game so that worked well, the saw map is a dbd map with references to saw, it's faithfull but also still something that works in this game, the Halloween map is very loosly based on the movies and while its not my favorite map by a long way that is not on them holding too tightly to the reference material like the RPD map

Post edited by BioX on
  • Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

Except that they have to also play the game while learning it. It is the first time ever people don't know how to navigate a map. All the other indoor maps we've got are bettee by a mile: if I want to move to that gen, I will just follow the coridors to it.

On RPD, however, you will face dead ends every time you want to go somewhere. I really don't get why it is so hard to see why everyone hates it.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

It's not impossible, no, but it is without question the most confusing map they've ever released because of its immense size and density, and in order to learn it you also have to play on it and that's also not fun either, especially for killers. It's like telling people to do 2 chores in a game they play to have fun.

• bobateo
    bobateo Member Posts: 368

Even if pple aren't familiar with it, why should we be? I LOVE RE2 and continue to play it. But there's still twists and turns for me on this map. I want more of it, not less before I decide.

• MrSmashem
    MrSmashem Member Posts: 161

Yeah, I get that can be frustrating and idk why the Devs haven't allowed solo customs for map exploration(that's been requested for a long time), but this isn't the first game to have this issue.

At the end of the day, while it might be frustrating to learn, that doesn't mean the map is terrible; and throwing your hands up and saying "Im not going to play this," instead of just learning the map, is a bad way to handle this. The reality is, once people get enough time on it, they'll learn it naturally. Once people know the map, then we can have a discussion about whether it's good or bad. But I'm not going to listen to someone who played it twice say it sucks, just because "I couldn't find anything."

Just to clarify a bit, I'm not claiming this map is good. It played well the 3 times I played on it, but that's nowhere near enough to make a solid judgement, especially since most people don't know where they're going. My issue is that everyone is dumping on the map, imo, just based on their frustration from not understanding it and their solution is "I'll just DC," instead of bothering to learn it.

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

The fact that people can't navigate it for a good amount of time is a sign it is poorly made. No other map in the game leaves people walking around mindlessly trying to get somewhere. Spending 2 minutes to get somewhere on the map because of the labyrinth it is tells you how good the map is for this game.

• TheClownIsKing

Which for the most part, because you’re having to conserve ammo, you’re mostly hiding from, and dodging enemies. Not so unlike DBD.

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075

I didn't state an opinion on the map. I just said that his argument was terrible.

Personally, just the fact that it's yet another indoors makes it a boring awful map. Eventually people will learn the layout, but that won't change the predrop+w gameplay with no mind games and relevant chases whatsoever. Idc about nostalgia, looks or whatever. I care about it being boring af

• MrSmashem

I can understand that; that's completely reasonable and I agree, it's probably the most complex map they've released to-date.

The point I'm trying to make, is that people are calling this a bad map, when they've barely played it and don't know it. Yes, it might be frustrating to learn, specifically in a live game, but that doesn't make it bad. We can talk about bad/good once players understand the map and have some experience on it.

DCing and refusing to even try to learn the map is lame. What's even more lame, is then coming on to the forums and asking for changes to a map that you don't even know.

• MrSmashem

You don't need to play 24/7 to learn the map. When you get it, just make an effort to figure it out. Yeah, it might take some time and it might get frustrating, but once you know it, you know it. And on a side note, BHVR really need to add a solo custom option so players can explore maps, on either side; that's long overdue.

On your second point, if you don't know the map, how can you say it's bad? That's my point. People are dumping on the map itself out of their personal frustration, and then just saying "Screw it, map sucks. Im DCing." Learn the map, the we can talk about good/bad. Refusing to learn the map and DCing when it comes up is childish.

• MrSmashem

No, that's a sign of the maps' complexity. And most of the maps in this game have next-to-no complexity; they have one defining characteristic, and the rest of the map is just open space with copy/paste loops, some maps having slight variance.

This map is indoors, it has a layout. It's not some wide open cornfield or forest. It's going to take some time to learn, just like any building would.

And again, people spending 2 minutes trying to find Gens? That's because they don't know the map. I know the map from the RE2 Remake and had 0 issue finding Gens, even on my first game. Learn the map, play the map, then we can talk about good/bad.

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911

Knowing the layout or not isn't even the main problem

It still takes the length of Red Forest to get to the other side of the map if you know where you're going, which is poor game design.

And gens could also be two feet away from you but it takes you 30 seconds to get to it, which is poor game design.

You could be trying to get a hook save, but because you don't know the exact room your teammate is hooked in, you hit a dead end and have to take a pilgrimage through another route, which can ruin a game, and is poor game design.

The map looks awesome and i love how much it resembles RE2, but they prioritised looks over gameplay too much imo.

• theplaggg
    theplaggg Member Posts: 267

How dare you tell them to learn the map.

I love the RPD as a location but gameplay wise it is terrible especially for killers. However it is still possible to learn the layout. Or maybe it is easier for me because I spent hours in RPD of the remake already.

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688

The map is too big and as some suggested, if there was a mode where we could just explore the maps, to learn the layout, it would be much easier, for both sides. The gen placement also seems weird. The last time I played the map, it took a lot of time to find a gen and when I did, I could see another gen very close by. Me and another survivor just fixed both gens and the killer was busy with another survivor, so for a map this big, having two gens spawn so close was bad for the killer.

• Dweet_Unfairfield
    Dweet_Unfairfield Member Posts: 215

I love hitting struggle on every 1st hook because my team didn't play re2 enough times to learn the layout.

I love not being able to use my power effectively on over half the killers.

I love not being able to prevent a 3gen or hook proxy because the map is 2 segments with 3 lanes

I love every window or pallet being infinites, god tier or useless.

Worst map I've every played in any game, ever. As a lifelong re fan, im taking the dc ban every time.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

let's not forget 1 hour matches because no one can find anything

or people bleeding out because they struggled free cause killer couldn't find the way to the hook, and then can't find chests or teammates get knocked down again to again not get hooked even though the killer tries

• SasukeKun
    SasukeKun Member Posts: 1,858

I like it the way it is imo, Nothing beats Haddonfield Hell for me and this is so true to the remake capcom prob says no

• Dweet_Unfairfield
    Dweet_Unfairfield Member Posts: 215

True. How could i forget that.

Oh and gates which are impossible to defend.

Basement challenges are near impossible.

3 floors for hatch to spawn.

Huge deadzones.

Lots of noises.

Honestly pretty ugly visuals, especially outside or by the helicopter.

Oh and have i mentioned the rare but still spawning lobby balcony hooks the killer can body block?

Map design is why dbd seems unbalanced. Move the map team to cosmetics and hire map designers with plural braincells devoted to balance. While the visual designers who mistakenly think they know anything about map design can go make awesome outfits or cutscenes.

• MeltingPenguins

You think haddonfield is WORSE than this?

Look, if you like it for its accuracy, be my guest, but RPD is a map that just... this is about every Haddonfield stapled together and stacked on top of each other, with fences and hedges taller than the killer AND there are no rocks. only fences.

• Lascivar
    Lascivar Member Posts: 41

As someone who's played the map about 50ish times now it's getting much easier to navigate. The map length itself is rather huge though but it's still much shorter than Ormond and Crotus Penn. The two floors does take some getting used to as the stairways are on opposing sides of the map and directly in the middle.

• MeltingPenguins

that it's 'shorter' than ormond doesn't matter, as it's so winding. Ormond AT LEAST has a decently clear layout. it's just huge. this map is huge and clustered

• sensovsky
    sensovsky Member Posts: 102

they won't change it, they don't care about the maps not being fun to play for both sides, it's a known fact at this point. I'm just disconnecting every time I get this map and don't really care for anyone who enjoys it

• HybridLPangel26
    HybridLPangel26 Member Posts: 119

I will never play a match in rpd survivor or killer it is not gonna happen too hard simple as that.

• Haddix
    Haddix Member Posts: 1,045

I don't think this is fair either way. The map itself is insanely massive and has some extremely strong loops (not to mention, can have several god pallets as well), so even if you KNOW the layout, it still plays awfully.

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 1,083

It's a set layout so just go in custom games and learn it like any other map lol

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Good for a 2 v 8 mode though. Worth a go 🙂

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

RPD map makes Haddonfield enjoyable.

• KSzerker
    KSzerker Member Posts: 191

Did no one playtest this during development? Visually it looks good, but clearly they were more interested in remaking a famous RE location rather than a DBD map.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

The devs map design focuses entirely on aesthetics over gameplay pretty much

• GenJockeyNance
    GenJockeyNance Member Posts: 687
    edited July 2021

Well I finally got to play it too... but I legit felt like a dog chasing my own tail in RPD. Literally went in circles, ran into dead ends and irrelevant rooms, I lost 2 gens in the process because I couldn't find my way to the damn things. It's way too big, I agree with others it needs to be broken up in parts.

The only killer so far I've found can ignore most of the map's flaws is Hag. I had my trap placements decently and had no issues really. It's almost every other killer that is gonna have a miserable time on the map.

I love how it stays faithful and true to the series but it's too daunting a size.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,221

It'a a great map to play RE2 on. Absolutely horrible to play DbD on.

• MeltingPenguins

I think what they should have done is either

1. Make it generally smaller or split it
    2. introduce a 2:8 mode with it (and have a smaller version for regular matches)
    3. take a cue form HSH and add teleporters for both sides