We WILL need more than 4 perk slots if DBD extends +5 years!

Options
BACKSTABBER
BACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809
edited December 2018 in General Discussions

Currently, it is certainly annoying to choose just 4 perks, even more with the 62 surv. / 57 killer perks we will have with the release of the last chapter, considering +50% survs. use self-healing as a base, they only got 3 perks to choose

not to mention, after the +5years there will be 122 surv. / 117 killer perks, then choose 4! LOL

do we really wanna play forever with just 4 slots?? let's do some maths and make it a bit more equivalent

Comments

• BACKSTABBER
    Options

@HellDescent said:
    4 perks are fine at least as the game as it is right now, with only 1 game mode. They need to do something about the bloodweb, so it's less polluted, like removing common bp offerings for example, which cost 3000 but award you only 4000 max etc.

no it is not enough at all, I cant choose just 4 among dozens

@Hibbsan ofc but this is a very objective and generous percentage, pretty much they use around 70%

• BACKSTABBER
    Options

@Peanits said:
    I really like the limit. It forces you to pick something to specialize in, or if you prefer, something to do a couple things slightly better. I think having too many perk slots would turn everyone into a jack of all trades and hurt the diversity. I always think back to games like PAYDAY 2 when the increased the skill point cap. It was low enough originally that you could not get everything, which left you with very specific builds and made everyone feel different. Then when it was increased, you could spec into a bunch of different branches, and suddenly everyone was rocking one of two or three builds.

I could see the same happening here. If there's too many perk slots, it makes it too easy to just take the best of the best.

I wanna see your face when your Nea has to use 4 perks among 122!

• Global
    Global Member Posts: 770
    Options

no....no we dont

• BACKSTABBER
    edited December 2018
    Options

@Global said:
    no....no we dont

talk for urself, when u have 122 perks to choose, please reply this thread

not to mention, how long griding and disturbing will be the bloodweb to build your fav tier 3!!

• βLAKE
    βLAKE Member Posts: 544
    Options

The thing about Dead by Daylight is that it's a survival horror game and the biggest aspect of the game is the fear of the unknown and you don't want to give players the ability to take too many perks because then they will have specific builds that just counter the majority of the killer cast. If you play the game right now and you limit yourself to less than 4 perks it makes the game really tense and scary which makes you more immersed and gives that scary vibe of having to survive against a killer with little to no tools to fend him/her off.

• BACKSTABBER
    edited December 2018
    Options

@βLAKE said:
    The thing about Dead by Daylight is that it's a survival horror game and the biggest aspect of the game is the fear of the unknown and you don't want to give players the ability to take too many perks because then they will have specific builds that just counter the majority of the killer cast. If you play the game right now and you limit yourself to less than 4 perks it makes the game really tense and scary which makes you more immersed and gives that scary vibe of having to survive against a killer with little to no tools to fend him/her off.

you can also increase the thriller with the perks, use no mither or obsession based

perks are fun, best ones transform ur gaming experience into a pseudo new game mode,

for example no mither, diversion, saboteur... the more new perks, the more builds, too few slots for smarter complete combos

• βLAKE
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

you can also increase the thriller with the perks, use no mither or obsession based

perks are fun, best ones transform ur gaming experience into a pseudo new game mode,

for example no mither, diversion, saboteur... the more new perks, the more builds, too few slots for smarter complete combos

Sure, that's fun for you, but you got to think of the bigger picture here and see how people will abuse this mechanic especially SWF. Imagine a SWF team getting 6 perks each and going against a killer who has 6 perks or less. You also have to think of the balance to the newer players. What if newer players get matched with a higher ranked killer and that killer has 6 or more perks meanwhile the survivors have two or three crappy perks. Killers and survivors are going to demolish each other left and right and games will go too fast imo. I will say, that I could definitely see this implemented in a 2v8 unranked matches just so it could be chaotic and fun, but to add this feature to the core game of Dead by Daylight is too silly and destructive to the game.

• BACKSTABBER
    Options

@βLAKE said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

Sure, that's fun for you, but you got to think of the bigger picture here and see how people will abuse this mechanic especially SWF. Imagine a SWF team getting 6 perks each and going against a killer who has 6 perks or less. You also have to think of the balance to the newer players. What if newer players get matched with a higher ranked killer and that killer has 6 or more perks meanwhile the survivors have two or three crappy perks. Killers and survivors are going to demolish each other left and right and games will go too fast imo. I will say, that I could definitely see this implemented in a 2v8 unranked matches just so it could be chaotic and fun, but to add this feature to the core game of Dead by Daylight is too silly and destructive to the game.

very poor arguments sorry, if newer player is noob then wait til gitgudd

I cant simply choose 4 ingredients of my pizza among 122, can you? (ingredients = perks)

• βLAKE
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

I cant simply choose 4 ingredients of my pizza among 122, can you? (ingredients = perks)

You say it's a poor argument, but you fail to provide one of your own. Just telling someone to gitgud is not going to solve anything nor does it move the argument. Hell, what's stopping someone from looking at your topic of getting the ability of 4 or more perks and telling you, "no, git gud." Also, your bad analogy of the pizza ingredients is insane because normally people pick one or two toppings for pizza and I would imagine that only 1% of people would like to have a total of 122 toppings on a single pizza. Heck, when having 122 toppings on a single pizza, you will be eating the toppings more than the pizza itself.

• BACKSTABBER
    Options

@βLAKE said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

You say it's a poor argument, but you fail to provide one of your own. Just telling someone to gitgud is not going to solve anything nor does it move the argument. Hell, what's stopping someone from looking at your topic of getting the ability of 4 or more perks and telling you, "no, git gud." Also, your bad analogy of the pizza ingredients is insane because normally people pick one or two toppings for pizza and I would imagine that only 1% of people would like to have a total of 122 toppings on a single pizza. Heck, when having 122 toppings on a single pizza, you will be eating the toppings more than the pizza itself.

I luv ur toppings with pizza expression~

• βLAKE
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

Okay well I guess this topic is done. Cya dude, hopefully you can still have fun and survive in the game with just 4 perks and hopefully we won't need to see this topic again in the near future otherwise, I will probably comment next time, "git gud."

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

Sometimes i do feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount.
    I like new content, and that opinion won't disappear, but i just don't look forward to seeing 7 Perk pages on my Killers.

• BACKSTABBER
    edited December 2018
    Options

@βLAKE said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@βLAKE said:

Okay well I guess this topic is done. Cya dude, hopefully you can still have fun and survive in the game with just 4 perks and hopefully we won't need to see this topic again in the near future otherwise, I will probably comment next time, "git gud."

you dont need to do anything, maths dont fail, and choosing 4 perks among 122 wont be possible, besides buliding tier 3 perks from the bloodweb will be a nightmare, you will see how we have more than 4 slots, ppl will claim for that!

@Peanits it is gonna be bad, my current experience is I would have more fun with +4 slots, with smarter and more complete builds

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:
    you dont need to to anything, maths dont fail, and choosing 4 perks among 122 wont be possible, besides buliding tier 3 perks from the bloodweb will be a nightmare, you will see how we have more than 4 slots, ppl will claim for that!

Sorry buddy but this doesn't make sense at all.
    Not everybody claims for that. The very evidence is in this thread.
    Building tier 3 perks from the bloodweb has absolutely nothing to do with extra perk slots.
    Not ever single perk is viable. Besides, some killer find particular perks more useful than the other. Choosing 4 perks among 122 is possible and easy.

• BACKSTABBER
    edited December 2018
    Options

@Delfador said:
    Choosing 4 perks among 122 is possible and easy.

easy AF, ok you are trolling me (where is the LOL button when u need it? =))

• Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608
    Options
    dude, if the LOL button existed maybe you would see how ridiculous some your replies have been. 

I won't bother arguing with you since I can already see through the thread that you don't want to listen to anyone who disagrees with you. 

so instead of wasting my time making a thought out response I'll say this. 

you want the noobies to "git gud" because they're noobies, but here you are, apparently familiar with the game and unable to adapt to something almost everyone has already adapted to. 
    you're the one that needs to "git gud" apparently.

I hope you adjust in the future or this game is gonna be hard on you.
  • NeonAlien
    NeonAlien Member Posts: 328
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Honestly, I'd love to be able to use more than 4 perks. Some perks are really important to me and it's rather uncomfortable playing without Urban Invasion or Borrowed time. Every now and then I'll try some other perks and tend to get a little annoyed that they mostly are just too situational to really convince me in the end - and it's a shame so many perks are being overlooked because of that. 
    Many perks are kinda weak/situational and not really worth a slot on the long run, even though they sound okay - they most likely don't provide the impact that the fewer, very good perks provide. One of my fave builds doesnt have meta perks in it besides Borrowed time and even then I feel like Urban Invasion or we will make it would be a great addition... It's all a bit "Meh" for me, given the ammount of perks to choose from and only 4 available slots where so many perks are interesting but often times not sexy enough to replace my favorites.
  • BACKSTABBER
    Options

@NeonAlien said:
    Honestly, I'd love to be able to use more than 4 perks

I would buy this, thanks

• yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832
    Options

imo killers should have a fifth slot dedicated solely to hex perks

• NightmareReborn
    NightmareReborn Member Posts: 810
    Options

But having only 4 perk slots is part of the skill element in this game. "Do I want to use decisive strike or borrowed time?" It's a decision factor. Perks are supposed to be chosen carefully, and if we got an extra perk slot, then that skill would be removed. There's no fun in "Decisive strike or borrowed time?" and going "why not both?"

• HuN7r3sS
    HuN7r3sS Member Posts: 211
    Options
    I actually am supportive of a 5th perk slot, mostly because I feel that it fits the 5 tally marks of the DBD logo and it'd be very useful to have a complete shutdown build for killer and the were gonna loop/juke forever build on survivor
  • Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

Ehh, this doesn't really make sense and just opens up the gates for Over Powered builds.

Just because you have choice doesn't mean you should be able to choose more.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:
    Currently, it is certainly annoying to choose just 4 perks, even more with the 62 surv. / 57 killer perks we will have with the release of the last chapter, considering +50% survs. use self-healing as a base, they only got 3 perks to choose

not to mention, after the +5years there will be 122 surv. / 117 killer perks, then choose 4! LOL

do we really wanna play forever with just 4 slots?? let's do some maths and make it a bit more equivalent

That should already prove that selfcare needs to be reworked/nerf

• BACKSTABBER
    Options

@NightmareReborn said:
    But having only 4 perk slots is part of the skill element in this game. "Do I want to use decisive strike or borrowed time?" It's a decision factor. Perks are supposed to be chosen carefully, and if we got an extra perk slot, then that skill would be removed. There's no fun in "Decisive strike or borrowed time?" and going "why not both?"

I am getting more and more surprised by your answers and lack of support

is that much hard to get that making decisions among 12 perks isnt like among 122?

basically we had 12 perks and 4 slots when DBD was born, now we have x10 perks and same slots

more slots means more fun, more pseudogame modes, more new builts, cool decisson-making

• Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    Options
    No, 4 perks are enough.
  • Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

@Global said:
    no....no we dont

not to mention, how long griding and disturbing will be the bloodweb to build your fav tier 3!!

Considering I have most of them now, and only 6 come out at a time every 3 months...I think it will be pretty easy....
  • Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165
    Options

We don't need more than 4 perk slots. End of this discussion.

• Global
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Global said:
    no....no we dont

The point of perks is to bend the game to your favor. 4 is enought especially when there are perks that are more powerful than other ones in every way. More perks would mean people would choose the most strong perks as there are more slots so they wouldnt have to actually plan outwhich perks to use. Since well theyd have enough room for more.

• BACKSTABBER
    Options

@Global said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Global said:
    no....no we dont

The point of perks is to bend the game to your favor. 4 is enought especially when there are perks that are more powerful than other ones in every way. More perks would mean people would choose the most strong perks as there are more slots so they wouldnt have to actually plan outwhich perks to use. Since well theyd have enough room for more.

when u have 122 perks to choose, none will ever select the weakest ones, ok im done wasting energy in this thread

• FoggyDownpour
    FoggyDownpour Member Posts: 288
    Options
    Peanits said:

I really like the limit. It forces you to pick something to specialize in, or if you prefer, something to do a couple things slightly better. I think having too many perk slots would turn everyone into a jack of all trades and hurt the diversity. I always think back to games like PAYDAY 2 when the increased the skill point cap. It was low enough originally that you could not get everything, which left you with very specific builds and made everyone feel different. Then when it was increased, you could spec into a bunch of different branches, and suddenly everyone was rocking one of two or three builds.

I could see the same happening here. If there's too many perk slots, it makes it too easy to just take the best of the best.

I completely agree, 4 is enough. Perks are already hard to balance with each other as it is, and they would likely have nerf a lot of perks due to certain builds becoming meta with 5 slots. This isn't bingo, we don't need an extra free space to make a match fun. If you can't decide on what perks to use, that's a you problem, not an issue with the game.

Part of the fun is choosing your build based on the four slots you get and the current array of perks you've managed to unlock on that character. You can't always have your favorite build, so try to adjust.

And besides, perks are not meant to be super powers. If you add a 5th slot, the perk combinations would be nearly endless, and the headaches would follow suit

Taking the 122 survivor perks and calculating the number of combos with 4 perk slots comes out to be 8,783,390. That's a lot of balancing to handle.

Taking the 122 survivor perks and calculating the number of combos with 5 perk slots comes out to be 207,288,004. And that doesn't sound ridiculous to you? It would raise more problems than solving your issue with having a hard time choosing a build.
  • Terratoast
    Terratoast Member Posts: 126
    Options

The only thing that needs to happen when we hit a lot of perks is how quickly we should be able to unlock said perks, otherwise it's pretty intimidating to new players.

But adding additional perk slots should be done with extreme care. More perks means more opportunities for synergies to be overpowered.

We're nowhere close to the "122" number OP is throwing around so either way it's not a problem any time soon.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,678
    Options

I've had similar thoughts in the past. In order to increase character diversity though, I've come up with a different way of going about it instead of just adding a 5th perk slot. You can see the details here:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/21841/free-perks-for-everyone

• BACKSTABBER
    edited December 2018
    Options

@Terratoast said:
    The only thing that needs to happen when we hit a lot of perks is how quickly we should be able to unlock said perks, otherwise it's pretty intimidating to new players.

But adding additional perk slots should be done with extreme care. More perks means more opportunities for synergies to be overpowered.

We're nowhere close to the "122" number OP is throwing around so either way it's not a problem any time soon.

choose 4 dude and leave 118, pretty much will use among the top 20 perks and ignore the rest

with more slots you can do more creative builds, cooler decisions, better experience, weaker perks

• Terratoast
    Terratoast Member Posts: 126
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Terratoast said:

choose 4 dude and leave 118, pretty much will use among the top 20 perks and ignore the rest

with more slots you can do more creative builds, cooler decisions, better experience, weaker perks

I love how you just casually ignored my argument just so you can restate your own.

Finding it difficult to pick which 4 perks is the point. Picking 5 out of the 20 most powerful perks instead of 4 out of the most powerful perks decreases the diversity. More perk slots means less reason to choose, you can just take all the perks that you want rather than focusing on a certain playstyle and trimming the fat that you don't need in your build.

I'm still not sure why you're continuing to use that number when the game currently only has 59 survivor perks and 54 killer. Given that we get 3 perks on each expansion you're looking at 21 more expansion until then. Considering that there have been only the equivalent of 12 expansion since the start of the game there is no reason to even consider perk over-saturation right now or even in the next 12 months.

• The_Daydreamer
    The_Daydreamer Member Posts: 735
    Options

I would like to have 5 Perkslots instead of 4. The reason is not just because we are getting more and more Perks. I feel like having too many Perkslots would just hurt the gamebalance, but one more Perkslot can improve some builds. I still like that you have to choose your own specific build. But at some points your builds are getting weaker and weaker, because the perkvariety is getting too big.

For an example, you want a build that works good for gens and is strong against Hex.Ruin. So you choose something like Bond, Leader, Stake Out and maybe Resilience. So perks like This is not happening, Prove thyself, etc. don't get the chance to come in action, because you are too limited. At some point thats actually a good thing, but if we are getting more and more perks, some perks are getting forgotten, cause they just work in some builds good.

Hope you understand my point, uff.

• BACKSTABBER
    Options

@The_Daydreamer said:
    I would like to have 5 Perkslots instead of 4. The reason is not just because we are getting more and more Perks. I feel like having too many Perkslots would just hurt the gamebalance, but one more Perkslot can improve some builds. I still like that you have to choose your own specific build. But at some points your builds are getting weaker and weaker, because the perkvariety is getting too big.

For an example, you want a build that works good for gens and is strong against Hex.Ruin. So you choose something like Bond, Leader, Stake Out and maybe Resilience. So perks like This is not happening, Prove thyself, etc. don't get the chance to come in action, because you are too limited. At some point thats actually a good thing, but if we are getting more and more perks, some perks are getting forgotten, cause they just work in some builds good.

Hope you understand my point, uff.

wow dude you nailed it

@Terratoast 122 is the exact number of surv perks we will have after +5yrs

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,225
    Options

Rather than increasing the number of perkslots i guess one could consider reducing the number of possible perks.
    -removing\redesigning unused perks
    -combining perks
    -making some of them part of the base kit

Other than that, one additional perkslots could come with restrictions like
    -"Only this character's teachable perks" (this could work for a fiths slot in my opinion but might create a strong meta with claudette and meg)
    -"only tracking\exhaustion\hex\etc"

• BACKSTABBER
    Options

@Raptorrotas said:
    Rather than increasing the number of perkslots i guess one could consider reducing the number of possible perks.
    -combining perks

-"Only this character's teachable perks" (this could work for a fiths slot in my opinion but might create a strong meta with claudette and meg)

sounds nice but way too brave moves for the DBD devs we know,

specially if remove perks players already have tier 3

• Malakir
    Malakir Member Posts: 799
    Options
    Troll thread. Poor thinking not taking into consideration the downsides, just a thread out of greed

Especially the pizza examples part was pretty sad to read
  • Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,225
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Raptorrotas said:
    -combining perks

sounds nice but way too brave moves for the DBD devs we know,

specially if remove perks players already have tier 3

Well i heard some rumors or theories that it mightve been considered once or twice to remove perk tiers to lessen the grind and perk inflation on the bloodweb. If that first step didnt help enough because of too many individual perks, then my former posts' idea might be thr next logical step.

It is a bold move, but there always could be compensations in shards or bp, or a fancy new tophat.

Just imagine they did something completely crazy and removed the bloodweb and created perk/skill-trees instead
    (See Identity V for example, where every hunter shares the same skill tree)

• preetygoodforumsofar
    Options

DS
    SC
    Adrenalin or BT
    Deliverance
    DH or SB or BL or Lithe
    looks fair

• Larcz
    Larcz Member Posts: 531
    Options
    Sound good more than 4 perks for killer only soo i can counter all bs what survs got :) Noed vs adrenalin , bbq for points , enduring against ds, nurse calling against sc.And still can chose 4 more yeah :D
  • Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,525
    Options

better get grinding now!
    P3L50 on most killers and survivors. Just stay on top as they get released!!! :D

• Global
    edited December 2018
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Global said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Global said:
    no....no we dont

when u have 122 perks to choose, none will ever select the weakest ones, ok im done wasting energy in this thread

Dont make an open thread if you cant handle other peoples opinions.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Global said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Global said:
    no....no we dont

And when you have more perk slots, people will still not choose the "weakest" ones. They'll just take whatever the OP perks are.