Now that the dust has settled it's time to admit the police station is a good map

CornHub
CornHub Member Posts: 1,864

It's clear people just had a bad sense of direction & if the map isn't a wide open field people claim its too complicated to navigate and/or loop. People forget that indoor maps are going to have entirely different structures & they did well crafting a map based entirely off a different game. I'm glad people can finally appreciate something different for once.

Comments

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

Haven't had the pleasure (or perhaps the displeasure) of playing on this map yet. But it doesn't look fun.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

Look to each their own, but copying the exact map layout from Resident Evil 2 does not mean it also makes for a good dead by daylight map. The map in Resident Evil 2 was intentionally made big because Mr. X was constantly hunting you down. But for a 1v4 game, that same layout doesn't work well at all.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 2,004

Has the dust settled, though? Feels like there's still some issues to work out with it. I played on it today and besides the fact that it was still laggy, Sprint Burst just straight up did not work the entire game. It would trigger without any change in speed whatsoever. It's hard to really think about how good or bad the map is when it's still so glitchy.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

Those glitches are why the map has such low odds of appearing in your game, and why the map offerings don't work. It's crazy to think that the Resident Evil chapter has been out for nearly a month, and the new map still isn't fully playable.🤦

• cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 407

just my lowly opinion, but I hate the map. It is perty, but unplayable. I hope it gets better with repeated plays, but it doesn't feel like it will. It's just so damn big...midwich can be a pain to find a generator and it feels like it is tiny in comparison

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

Midwich is completely fine tho. Unless you're against a comp surv squad, but they dont play public games, so you're fine.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I've yet to have anyone counter the points that the haters kepe bringing up.

• A_Skinny_Legend
    A_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 919

Ya, love it. But it's fine if others don't, not everyone is meant to have great taste.

Love the name btw.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063

I don't dislike Midwich at all, personally, but it does suffer from some problems - relatively few easy access points between floors meaning that you can hear a survivor above or below you but be 15 seconds away from reaching their location, which gives them an ample head start on you. (This is also a problem on Haddonfield to a slightly lesser extent.) There's also little line of sight on that map and even less ways to cut off survivor pathing, so you basically always have to catch up the slow, manual way - which will happen because the other flaw that RCPD shares with Midwich is a general lack of structures that can be looped.

Still, Midwich's hallways are straight and regular, and one can find gens just by walking in a square and checking the rooms even if you aren't familiar with the layout. Even if you don't know where the drops and individual rooms are, the layout is very straightforward and you don't waste too much time following the main circuit. It's also not a very large map. Playing on RCPD is like if you made Midwich twice as big and vastly more confusing to navigate.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

"relatively few easy access points between floors meaning that you can hear a survivor above or below you but be 15 seconds away from reaching their location, which gives them an ample head start on you."

There are plenty locations to go down tho. Let alone that survivors dont really hear exactly where killers are unless they are directly below them. This means to a survivor, you could either be below them or around the corner. This gives the benefit that you can have pressure on generators above or below you without actually being there.

Line of sight breakers are healthy for this game and we arguably need a lot more of them. Having entirely open maps for a vast majority of killers destroys their power. Yes, cutting off on Midwich doesnt happen much. But it also means survivors cannot beeline to their objectives, and thus need to take predetermined paths to reach that location. Which you can use on most killers against them. Heck, the fact that killers like Myers and Trapper can actually perform very well on those maps, even though they are arguably the 2 weakest killers on the roster makes it quite a good map.

And yeah, new maps will always be harder to navigate, especially if that map has been disabled most of the update AND is an inside map. It will take time for players to learn the layout, learn the loops, learn the routes, learn the spawns and learn the shortest paths to places. People often claim Lery's and The Game are also offenders of not being able to cut survivors off at all, even though The Game is probably THE map where you can cut survivors off. Yeah, they have LOS breakers, but you have to remember that LOS breakers go both ways. Survivors dont know if the killer still is able to track them if they dont have vision on the killer. I've had high tier survivors keep running the long way even though I've started to cut them off through LOS breakers. I'm not too sure of RCPD has similar ways of cutting off survivors, as I have barely been able to play on it, but I am sure there will be. Heck, even Midwich has tons of places you can cut off survivors. The hallway on the top floor is the only one that cannot be cut off in any way, shape or form, but you can use the hallway to cut off survivors that go inside rooms.

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864

Well nvm i guess people still don't like it. Hopefully with time people can learn to appreciate it.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Looks great but time crippling to navigate.

• Slaughterhouse3
    Slaughterhouse3 Member Posts: 901

It's a great map but when you try to play Billy or Bubba or Blight on it, it's horrible lmao

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Is this satire?

If not, well, that's fine. If you enjoy it, good for you. Don't assume everybody else does, though. Especially seeing as the few times I've pulled it, half the team, or killer, dcs. It's a terrible map from a DbD perspective. Everything I hate from maps like Red Forest and Haddonfield, tied in a pretty RE bow.

• MrPsych
    MrPsych Member Posts: 265

I only rolled the map once so it's still too early to tell how good/bad it is. But I didn't enjoy my first game on it, I spent the entire game being lost in the maze of corridors. It kinda felt like these old text adventure games where you're told you're lost and you just randomly type north, east, west, south until you somehow get out.

Except this time I didn't get out.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

It's just way too large. The RPD could have easily been a mutli-map realm in and of itself.

I'll grant them that it looks pretty good (minus all the glowing jell-o that Umbrella apparently spilled everywhere), but DbD was very much not the game that the RPD was created for and it shows. Just like with Midwich.

While I loved it in the REmakes, I haven't really enjoyed my time with it as either role in DbD.

• DrJohn
    DrJohn Member Posts: 223

You complete buffoon. ######### you

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

I mainly play stealth killers, probably the best on RPD, and I still think it's a badly designed map. Literally copy and paste from another game will never work out in DBD, and 90% of the other killers barely work on it. Unfortunately I don't think BHVR had anything to do with this, it was probably Capcom, so we're stuck with this mess.

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651

But what is there to appreciate apart from the faithfulness to the source material ? Sure it looks great, but it plays really poorly for DBD

The RPD combine the very well known issues of large map, indoor maps and multiple floors maps.

And there is a very ovious option to solve the problem. Have 2 variants of the maps called A and B referencing the 2 scenarios of the game, with parts of it closed off.

• FogofWar23
    FogofWar23 Member Posts: 75

You don't get penalty if you dc in loading screen tho...

• KettleWettle
    KettleWettle Member Posts: 149

Sigh

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

It's not good, at least for killers with low mobility, patrolling gens is a pain in the ass due the amount of corridors and rooms you have to cross.

Visually is excelent.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

For myself, I prefer this game mostly have indoor map. The most perfect one is new Lery & old Game, second to Midwich & Hawkin.

But RE map is really bad for gameplay.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

The only time I played there I was Leatherface. Got the 4k, but I was really only playing as an M1 killer the entire time except when the borrowed time save came out.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146

I will not admit it, I will never admit. No matter how many times I get it in a day, I will never play on it.

• JoByDaylight
    JoByDaylight Member Posts: 707

I really hoped that the Devs could've learned from Midwitch, but nope - here they are making an even worse map. It's waaaayy too huge. Each floor could be it's own full map. There are like 2 places you can actually do loops or mindgames. The rest is just corridors and small rooms.

It's almost like trying to make a Resident Evil map-copy to DBD was a bad idea..

It would've been so much better to have the Police station as a main building with a street and maybe some small areas open in other buildings as the map. The main room, with a few adjacent rooms is enough to make your stupid tributes (though some may like them whoch is fair) to the RE game. You don't need like 20 in one map lmao.

For next time/map: Focus on gameplay, not aestethics.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

nope it feels awfull, half of the Killers cant even use their ability there and there are so many dumb ways that makes the map increadible unfair and unfun even for survivors.

I could camp at the middle of the main hallway while the exit gate was open at the back and the survivors on the left side of the map couldnt pass me or open the gate at the main hallway, so they where forced to wait for the end game collapse or run into me... and this is just 1 of many issues with this map.

I wish they could just delete this map and let it in custom only for ppl who want to play on it with friends, but not in public...

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

Naw.

Is it great for RE fans? Sure,

But even if you know the layout, it's just a pain. It's a map that'd be great for a mode with more players, but fir the regular 4:1 matches? nope. even if they'd add a minimap

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378

its good as a copy paste from RE, its bad for an asymetrical arcade game like DBD, they should make a lot more drastic design switches to make that map work

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

I haven't had any issues on it when I get it.

Since I play Pig it's pretty good for me too. Yes, it's MASSIVE but that's OK. Some nasty head pop add-ons and I suddenly don't mind that so much. Heck I didn't even use Tampered Timer and I got a pop since they have to spend an eternity traversing the map.

The coolest part about the map is that they kept it as true to the original Raccoon Police Department as they could and I love when they do stuff like that. This has been a pretty awesome homage to Resident Evil but it's whatever I know there's that large part of the community that has to bitterly complain about everything.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,291

I mean I used to speedrun re2 (og & remake) and while I know the layout sometimes I struggle to navigate the map. It's too big and could be split into 2 maps. Granted I'd prefer them reworking RPD so if they split it they add more areas to each side. They should have had 5 more compacts maps from re2 / re3 rather than 1 big one.