Can We Talk RPD Map?

CeeJaylx
CeeJaylx Member Posts: 27
edited July 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

Firstly, I just want to praise the developers on the design of the map. They definitely went above and beyond. The design aesthetics, the level of detail, and of course how accurately it is to the real Raccoon City Police Department design from Resident Evil.

Hooooowwwwwwwever, there is a matter of the layout here. The layout is atrocious. The long hallways, corridors, many rooms with no gamplay value (i.e. washroom/laundry room/offices, etc...) only make the map unfun to play. More importantly I noticed that it takes much longer to get from one side of the map to other. I nearly died on first hook because my teammates had to run through hallways and corridors just to reach me. Unlike other maps which are open; you aren't forced to go a certain route just reach a particular hooks. It shouldn't take an entire hook state to reach the other side of the map.

For those who have had the chance to experience the map, what are your thoughts?

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

I’ve only played one match on that map and it had two early DCs (so great). Because of that I don’t know what it’s like to play a real match on it yet but it does seem badly designed in terms of gameplay but as you said, the aesthetics lions amazing.

Also hi fellow Yui 😃

• Zokenay
    Zokenay Member Posts: 1,158

A pain in the ass more than anything.

But bearable

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    edited July 2021

I pray I never get it again.

• NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 778

Unplayable with so many killers cuz they bump into anything or there's just no way to use their power around loops. It's a beautiful map. Gameplaywise it's the worst map in the game because of how narrow and windy it is.

• CeeJaylx
    CeeJaylx Member Posts: 27

Agreed. I hope that they really look into it, and think about changing some of the level design. More-so for DBD and not a linear game like Resident Evil.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,033

I need to learn the map. It’s extremely confusing trying to traverse it.

My first match a player died first hook because we couldn’t figure out how to get to the basement.

• Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236

It might be ok if they cut it in half? Or maybe 3rds? Its way to flippin big. I refuse to play it. Either side.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned too much is the spawns. The last time I played this map, I was killer with Lethal Pursuer but didn’t even need it. I spawned at the top of the main stairwell facing the exit gate, and visibly saw a survivor out there by the gate. I will probably DC if that happens to me as a survivor.

• Devildove
    Devildove Member Posts: 4

This map is truly godawful. Extremely and intolerably un-fun to play on as either side, but especially as killer when it's impossible to pressure gens with such a wide spread and so few ways to easily traverse between floors. It's like two Mother's Dwellings stacked on top of each other in terms of size, plus a roof and basement level if I remember correctly, but with the claustrophobic maze-like quality of Lery's, with much worse line-of-sight problems.

Killers which are countered by sharp corners (e.g. Blight, Oni, Hillbilly) and poor sightlines (Huntress, Deathslinger, Trickster, even Executioner and Plague) are effectively nullified on this map. And killers with trapping powers are never going to have enough time, trap charges or ability to remain close to their traps to be useful on RPD unless. I genuinely feel powerless as killer on this map unless survivors severely and consistently mess up and after many miserable experiences that felt like a waste of my time I am not going to play on it any more. I will be DCing when I see this map. I know that my feelings are shared by others because inevitably when I play on RPD the post-game chat is full of lamentation from multiple players about how awful and unbalanced it is.

It's impressively faithful to the original and very visually appealing, but please Behavior, you should not be prioritising aesthetics over gameplay in a game like this. In the future, if a map inherently can't provide a reasonably balanced experience for both teams, please don't release it, especially if it's licensed and can't easily be changed. The inappropriateness of such a map for DBD should have been immediately apparent as soon as it was proposed as a possibility for the RE chapter.