We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

How would you rework: iron will

Title. I’m going to do a series where how would you change a perk, addons, & killers. So that being said how would you change it to make it balanced for both sides.

Comments

• Piruluk
    Piruluk Member Posts: 995

Well I think for killers would be balanced if you do any generators/totems you lose IW effect and maybe even add to a timer like Lucky Break(which according to streamers would have nuked the game,yet even with 60 sec its worthless nobody runs it), there gutted like DS.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,427

Give it back the old requirement of needing to stand still to be quieter

Would this kill the perk? Yes, but a perk that completely gets rid of a killers method of tracking is dumb af as well

• Piruluk
  • GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,856

Nah I’m fine with Sprint Burst. Iron Will and Dead Hard are the two strong survivor perks I despise.

• Piruluk
  • Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

I wouldn't. Just like I wouldn't change spirit.

But stridor change wasn't good at all because iron will is only countered by some killers now and nothing else. I mean I saw their reasoning for it but there was no compensation.

Just like when they gutted pig when egc was introduced and gave her nothing in return.

• Piruluk

But what killer used Stridor besides Spirit?

I never seen any other killer using that perk.

So its nerf for the overperforming Spirit

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,305
    edited July 2021

I mean I'd probably just make it so it doesn't delete all sounds coming from the survivor once it's active. Pain noises are one thing, but the survivor suddenly no longer needing oxygen to survive until they get healed at which point they start breathing again is pretty silly.

Other than that, nothing to be honest.

EDIT: Wait, does IW actually remove breathing even while healthy? I've seen this mentioned sometimes and if that's the case that's even sillier.

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

Wow. Now I had not noticed that, but yeah, that is way too much.

• Starr43
    Starr43 Member Posts: 873

Have you ever spawned into a map and you hear another survivor breathing down your neck or if it’s Jeff you can hear him 60 feet away?

If grunts of pain are removed then I think alternate breathing patterns should be recorded for each character.. even if that means they intermittently hold their breath they still need some sort of natural sound that could potentially reveal their nearby presence even if it’s extremely subtle. People running for their lives or hiding to avoid being slaughtered would have an increased heart and breathing rate.. this would be even harder to control if you’re holding back the pain from a significant wound.

• meowzilla69
    meowzilla69 Member Posts: 408

Noted. I’ll give the option if it doesn’t need to be changed next episode.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

I wouldn't. Unless I wanted survivors to equip whatever they left out among DS/BT/UB/Soul Guard/Deliverance/etc.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,447
    edited July 2021

A few changes

Make it so breathing sounds still work while injured the perk is for injured sounds it makes no sense it also completely removes breathing sounds

Make it so the perk is on a timer, After the first 20 seconds of the perk being active the perks effectiveness decreases by 10/8.33/6.66% every 10 seconds, every time you are healed the first 20 seconds "recharges" of 100% effectiveness but the lost effectiveness builds up over time

meaning if you are injured for 120/150/180 seconds from then on the perk doesn't muffle sounds, but if you are healed your first 20 second of being injured again the perk will be back to not muffling sounds

Overall this would make the perk less effective as the survivor stays injured meaning you have to play using it more mindfully as it will continuously and cumulatively lose its effectiveness as the survivor stays injured

Post edited by bjorksnas on
  • StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

I think the first order of business is that sounds in the game need to be fixed before we can even determine is Iron Will is causing problem, or just bad sound scripting. If breathing works, but the normal sound bugs are messing it up when Iron Will is in play, then ya, fix that. If Iron Will is hard-coded to remove breathing, that needs to be changed.

It is supposed to remove grunts of pain, not all the noise a Survivor makes.

Also, for anyone that says that using sound to find a target is a sign of being a bad player... no. The game has those sounds for a reason. You can hear how close someone is and where they are for a reason. They are intended to be an extra tracking resource in the event that visual tracking is not an option. If you're trying to cut someone off that is running behind a wall, you can hear where their breathing is going. You can't see their scratches, or their blood, or crows flying off. You see a wall. That breathing is THE mechanic you use to track their movement. Imagine not hearing a Killers stomping around, hissing, grumbling. You'd get fussy that despite the TR and Red Stain, you can't hear precisely where the Killer is behind an obstacle. The same thing works the other way around.

I'm actually pretty miffed that anyone would suggest that it's okay for Killers to be deaf to Survivor noises while they get to enjoy the benefits of hearing Killer noises. That is an insanely one-sided argument to make.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

I would say 99% of the time you aren't tracking people with their breathing sound.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I wouldn't. It works just fine.

• meowzilla69

Let me state for the record: that a rework can be buffs so please don’t assume a rework is a nerf.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Minor reduce sounds ( not negate them ) and protection from delayed downing effects; deep wounds and borrowed time

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    edited July 2021

I'd say in chase, that's the case. There's only a handful of survivors you can hear breathing over the chase music and you have to be fairly close.

• zombitehdeath
    zombitehdeath Member Posts: 587

I would nerf it to 20%/40%/60% instead of 50%/75%/100%

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167
    edited July 2021

If I had to, I would do one of two things to it. Not both, one or the other

• injured sounds become replaced with regular breathing, essentially meaning you always sound healthy regardless of actual health state

or

• After becoming injured, after like idk maybe 5, 10 seconds your grunts of pain volume are gradually reduced to zero. This resets after becoming healthy.
  • Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

The only problem with Iron Will is I'm pretty sure it was designed to be a stealth perk, but it doubles as a chase perk because it robs the killer of a lot of information and other sounds/means of tracking are less reliable (even when they work lol)

I don't mind its current version, both sides do deserve strong perks - but they would never make a perk like iron will today because it has no downside or pre-requirement. It's just injured? Alright here's your perk permanently until you're healthy

• StibbityStabbity

I tend to advocate for Killers, and I agree with you here. NO PERK SHOULD BE NERFED INTO THE GROUND. Rebalanced to be strong but healthy, yes. Nerfed into Kingdom Come? No. More useless perks are not what this game needs.

To be fair, I think a lot of people have a sort of PTSD from things in this game. Legion still gets a ton of hate for gameplay he can't even do anymore. Undying is nowhere near as bad as it once was, and it is still heavily maligned. DS cannot be be abused in a capacity REMOTELY approaching what it used to, but people still act like it's a nasty perk. It's on both sides, and it's a touch silly, but understandable.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

Agreed. I have no issue with changes that make sense and allow the perk to still function and be useful but allow room for other lesser used perks to shine through.

That being said, weaker and useless perks desperately need addressing imo, before gutting any perks right now. I genuinely don't think there are any perks on either side right now that are 100% busted and overly oppressive.

I will agree that trying to track a survivor with Iron Will is difficult but you can still follow blood (Unless Lucky Break is in play) but it's not impossible.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Why rework something that works. Better spend time buffing 90% of the perks nobody actually use to shake uo the meta.

• StibbityStabbity

Well, Iron Will is supposed to make the Survivors grunts of pain quieter. This would not outright remove the sound that Survivor makes, rather remove the loudest sound they make while injured that isn't a scream. The issue seems to be that Iron Will is inconsistent, with reports of it removing breathing and even foot steps.

Those last two are VERY important when trying to track someone on the other side of an obstacle. BHVR needs to fix these bugs, and then determine if Iron Will is silencing more than it is supposed to. If it is, that needs to be fixed. If it's just a result of sounds being generally buggy, then those bugs need to be sorted out.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

I hadn't heard of it removing foot step sounds that's not okay lol

Yeah hopefully they fix the bugs surrounding it because that isn't okay. If it's buggy and strong because of said bugs then I understand the hate towards it more now.

• Lunarknight
    Lunarknight Member Posts: 29

I would reduce the % that's about it

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

Disable it while running. Makes no sense to run without making sounds.

• aEONoHM
    aEONoHM Member Posts: 208
  • glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,013

I think IW is fine. Just fix the silent survivor bug that happens when a survivor is downed (not sure if it happens with IW), and remove the breathing sound reduction caused by the perk.

• meowzilla69

I don’t. I wanted to see some ideas if it gets a buff or balance it. I’m surprised people want it nerfed. :/

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

It shouldn’t be nerfed to the ground there is only one thing they should do…

Make survivors make breathing sounds when injured with Iron Will. Currently they make absolutely no sound (besides footsteps) when injured when it is only supposed to suppress grunts of pain.

With Iron Will, injured survivors are harder to track than healthy survivors. They are dead silent with zero sound cues emitting from them if they stay still.

• MegMain98

No but there have been plenty of occasions where I knew where a survivor was hiding because I heard their breathing. Typically it is a Meg or Feng but I’ve heard most survivors breathing down my neck before.

• meowzilla69

I’m not sure why some wanted it nerfed to oblivion. I was hoping for some small qol changes, like the one coming in the mid chapter patch.

• Grimmy_Bluues
    Grimmy_Bluues Member Posts: 354

Lower the number to 80-90% rather than 100% so you aren't COMPLETELY silent. Because let's be honest, getting injured noises always muted for free is very strong.

Or, add some kind of requirement to activate it.

• MegMain98

It’s a very strong perk so I get why people hate it. I’m biased because I always use Iron Will.

The quality of life change in the mid chapter patch is a pure buff to Iron Will though since Stridor has no affect on it now. It did nothing but buff Iron Will which needed no buff.

All I want is survivor to breath when walking and pant when running with Iron Will and give killer some kind of audio cue