Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Grabbing survivors while unhooking is a bad mechanic

gendoss
gendoss Member Posts: 2,270
edited July 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

The killer being able to grab a survivor while they are unhooking another survivor is an extremely punishing mechanic and also very janky. It's one of the things that can completely win games for a killer in one stroke. Especially on the terrible servers I can be standing straight up not unhooking at all and still be grabbed.

It's just too punishing to lose 2 entire health states because you wanted to unhook your teammate. I can understand why it happens on gens because you generally weren't paying attention and that's your fault but 9/10 times you only got grabbed unhooking because the server thought you were still in the animation.

Comments

• gendoss

Because I use BT in every build and it's a really good strategy in some situations.

• gendoss

I agree with you but you shouldn't have to lose 2 health states because of it. If you go down while unhooking it should be because of your skill not the servers saying you went down.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

Just keep baiting the killer quickly pushing the unhook button until he hits you. This will be even easier now that fake grabs will be turned into hits in the next update.

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710

Most of the time thé servers says that i, as the killer, cannot get the grab

Beside survivors can still find ways to abuse the grab system by letting go at the right time so the killer cannot grab them on the next try and is forced to do an M1, i still see this happening in my games and its à stupidly broken bug/mechanic

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

disgusting.

The whole point of grabbing is supposed to be punishing. You shouldn't be able to have a free rescue anyways. Plus don't try and bait grabs and it wouldn't be a problem.

• gendoss

What do you mean bad unhooks? It's a bad unhook if you go down because you unhooked, not because the servers said you were grabbed even though you were standing straight up. Killers really do just want janky server unhook mechanics to stay.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

its not the servers saying that, its your own decision making that leads to it.

the only time the servers have anything to say in this matter is when they grant you to live even though you should have went down.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

I know your venting but given the devs and outright acknowledged how often the severs deny killers their grabs... To say the grabs are mechanically(As in which player has priority) killer sided is objectively wrong.

Also your doing a bad save if your unhooking pointblank in the killer's face and should be punished for it.

You're not entitled to the unhook and the killer has every right to punish you for bad plays.

• Neamy
    Neamy Member Posts: 359

I can't remember the last time I actually grabbed a survivor in the unhook animation. Usually just cancels my swing. Although I've seen a few people unhook in my face then on my second swing the dead hard and both get a little distance. Tried that myself last night, dead hoarded into a corner, but it worked to avoid the swing at least and not immediately hook swap

• gendoss

Yeah I don't have a problem with being down when I'm unhooking, that's the decision I made and that makes sense from a fundamental standpoint. Killer grabs aren't even consistent as a mechanic lol why can you only be grabbed from pallets and windows when you're injured but can be grabbed on generators and unhooks when you're healthy? It makes no sense and is way too punishing just like how being grabbed through a window while healthy would be too punishing. If you're unhooking you should go down in 2 hits and not 1, it's dumb IMO.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Borrowed Time is part of the reason why it exists with "healthy" survivors.

Endurance is weird and makes you count as healthy as Oni gets his bonus power charge from hitting healthy survivors but he also gets it from hitting survivors with Endurance because of that weird rule.

So the perk you wanted to use it one of the main reason why it exists is to stop the chain BT unhooks.

As for generator grabs its there to try to punish survivors who try to push a generator in the killer's face/Reward stealth killers who successfully sneak up on a survivor.

• Mastermind
    Mastermind Member Posts: 111
    edited July 2021

Most of my grabs either don't work as a regular M1 happens instead. (Not lunging.) Or they unhook a survivor even though I grabbed them because why would a grab even work... <As can be seen here>

• Mastermind
    Mastermind Member Posts: 111

Most of the time, my grabs either turn into M1s instead or the survivor just unhooks despite me grabbing them...

• immoraldemise
    immoraldemise Member Posts: 117

Too bad theres a million reasons to unhook in front of the killer, while not intending to be toxic. Most all cases involve a tunnel/camping killer. 75% of games when I play solo involve them. Might not be anyone elses stat but its a cancer.

• enormous_bruh_moment
    enormous_bruh_moment Member Posts: 136

It's a bad mechanic yes, but only because it's so unreliable for both sides. Seriously, try doing it as Killer.

I've had half a dozen instances in the past week alone where the Survivor is baiting the unhook right in front of me, but on my end, I timed it right and the grab animation starts playing, but halfway through it the game decides to spaz out/rubber band and gives them the unhook. Game just cuts to the unhook being complete, and then I get to hit the person who just completed the unhook, meaning they both get away from right in front of me, when it should have resulted at best in them trading out who is on the hook.

You aren't entitled to get the save AND walk away from right in front of the Killer. BT is a great perk and helps shut down tunneling very well, but the server issues make this grabbing mechanic terribly frustrating. How about this instead?

• Unhooking action can no longer be canceled.
    • Unhooking action will always be completed and result in the hooked survivor being freed.
    • Unhooking another Survivor afflicts you with the Exposed effect for the entire unhooking duration.

No more needing to bait unhooks, no more frustration with both sides feeling like they outplayed it properly, you actually have to decide you want to unhook someone for sure, but if you do and the killer hits you while you're doing it you go down right away.

Everyone happy with that?

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,291

It's a bad unhook if you try to pull someone off the hook within 10 meters of the killer, because you make it a ton easier to get whoever you unhook killed.

And no, Borrowed Time won't fix it. That's an extra hit and speed burst, but unless they have chase-breaker perks like Quick & Quiet, Lucky Break, Dance With Me or Deception, they're just going to get a single loop out and then get hooked again so the killer gets a quick hook state on an already hooked survivor.

If you hook-bomb me as survivor, I will hate your guts. If I catch you hook-bombing when I'm playing killer, I will tunnel you out of the game as punishment.

Don't screw over your teammates. The only time a hook-bomb is acceptable is in EGC.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

You can completely avoid getting grabbed when going for hook saves so it's just a situation of "gut gud".

• gendoss

Yeah I really didn't know you could avoid getting grabbed /s.

• gendoss

As I've already said a couple times I'm not against the idea of going down when unhooking, it happens all the time and that's the decision I can make. I'm against the extremely buggy mechanic of basically instantly losing the game because the game thinks unhooking is the worst thing a survivor should be doing.

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562

Ah yes. I, too, think Survivors should never be punished if they make risky plays!

Why not, on top of giving Survivors free unhooks if they are Healthy (IE: Removing the grab, since hitting a Survivor does not stop a grab), we also make Survivors immune while working on gens! I mean, it's so unfair the Survivors can get grabbed off gens! They can lose two whole health states!

And being grabbed off of vaults needs to go. So unfair to be vaulting and get grabbed.

And being grabbed out of locker! Again; a Survivor could lose TWO health states, and that's unfair! The Killer should be unable to open a locker if the Survivor is Healthy! In fact, make Head On basekit! And make it auto-trigger if a Killer tries to grab a Healthy Survivor!

Because Survivors should never be punished for making bad plays! The game should do everything possible to hold Survivor's hands and prevent the Killer from getting a single kill!

You made a bad play, and the Killer grabbed you. There's nothing 'unfair' about that.

' the game thinks unhooking is the worst thing a survivor should be doing.'

If the Killer is close enough to grab you, then unhooking IS the worst thing you can do...because the Killer will grab you.

What is with this flood of Survivors basically saying 'It's so unfair that I can lose!' lately?

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237
    edited July 2021

Why yes, grabs definitely are a bad mechanic because they dont work that often.

We should remove them and...

Replace them with making survivors exposed during actions that can be interrupted by a grab. IDV does that during any action, it might be a good start.

*laughs* or we just fix grabs so survivors cant mess them up that easily? Like havcing the grab-timeframe linger a bit after survivors let go of gens/hooks?

• Marcavecunc
    Marcavecunc Member Posts: 2,057

Well that's a bad idea I hadn't seen before. What makes the idea even worse is you admitting you run BT on every build and just want a free safe unhook for unhooking unsafely in the killer's face without risking getting put on hook yourself.