Thought you couldn't escape traps on first attempt?

Options
EntitySpawn
EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Title, trapper traps. Thought they coded it to be 2-5/6 attempts, never the first and never more than 5/6? Or is it yet another bug to add to the other 100+?

Happened multiple games now

Comments

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,990
    Options

I'm pretty sure it's 1-6

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,340
    Options

Don't know where on earth you heard that you couldn't escape on first attempt. The devs made it so that it is extremely unlikely you'll get out first attempt, and each subsequent attempt increases the odds of getting out.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

nope, the Devs went out of their way to keep that in the game :)

ffs just make it a set amount of escapes i HATE the RNG on Trapper ;-;

• Jerek
    Jerek Member Posts: 92
    Options

They should make a couple add-ons that prevent self escaping until a certain number of attempts. Like a couple tiers that prevent the first 1/2/3 self escapes and just roll the remaining 4-6.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,982
    Options

1 attempt escapes should still be possible. Just less likely than before since the chance is 16% compared to the old 25%. The trade off being that survivors will always get out on their 6th attempt (more if you use the addons).

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
    Options

Making it a set amount of escapes would make it pointless all together as a mechanic

• Mister_xD
    Options

what exactly are you referring to right now?

traps would be a lot more consistent for both sides, which means both the Killer and the Survivors would be able to get a good guess on how long they are going to be stuck in there, allowing the Killer to make the decision of whether he wants to stop what he is currently doing to go and grab that trapped person, while Survivors have to make the decision whether they want to race the Killer to the trap in order to free their teammate before they get picked up.

the trap escape RNG is a horrible design choice, because it makes everything you do with your traps a gamble. heck, ive seen people escape a trap faster than i could vault the god damn window to get to them! how is that a good mechanic?

• Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236
    Options

3 attempts seems fair to me. If trapper is no where near there it functions as a slowdown, like mending or pigs traps. That would be the function of the mechanic

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,880
    Options

It's still possible but the possibility got heavily nerfed.

• ClumsyTrapper
    ClumsyTrapper Member Posts: 544
    Options

The chance of escape is x/6 where x is the number of attempts so first attempt is 1/6 chance of escape

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
    Options

It simply wouldn't suit the whole concept over which dbd is built, which is chaos. Rng on DBD is a core element, just look at map generation where the same map can spawn with awesome jungle gyms chained one another and complete dead zones.

Devs are well aware of this and they're not going to change it because they've stated already they like the chaotic nature of the game, and frankly I'd say many players like it too, otherwise this game wouldn't be so popular.

Same for pig's reverse bear traps. What's the point of having 4 if you make it a fixed number of tries? Just place one single correct box and quadruplicate the time needed to remove the bear trap. Same concept for the trapper then, just triplicate the time to remove the trap and make it one single attempt. Having multiple attempts is just pointless if the number required is fixed

And tbh, i prefer this rng

• Mister_xD
    Options

there is a HUGE difference between the chaos you are trying to refer to and something being outright unnecessary and unfair.

i could use your exact argumentation to push some real BS changes - e.g. why not make it so Hillbilly has a 1 in 5 chance to just not down someone with his Chainsaw, but overheat instead? or how about a 1 in 10 chance the Wraith gets a stun like being lightburned any time he uncloaks?

those would certainly add some more chaos into the mix, which im sure everyone is going to absolutely love.

cause why only screw over a few Killers with RNG when we can just do it with everyone?

the point im trying to make here is, that it is extremely unfair for Trapper and Pig to get this huge RNG aspect to their power, when all the others have a consistently working power. if you want chaos, thats fine - like you said, thats a core aspect of the game - but at least make it so its consistent between the different characters.

its extremely unnecessary to just screw a few characters over more than others and it makes them feel weak, luck dependend and sometimes outright unfair in comparison with all the others. why is it that when i do a skillfull play with a Hillbilly i always get rewarded, but when i do it as Trapper i have a one in i-dont-know-what chance to just randomly get it taken away from me again?

build a functioning character and THEN add the chaos around them.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

2 attempts is the average now, you can still get anywhere from 1 - 6.

• EntitySpawn
    Options
  • GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,385
    Options

I think escape attempts should take significantly longer and keep the RNG aspect as it is. Also have saving others from a trap take much longer. The latter in particular, ‘cause that is guaranteed escape.

For an escape attempt, like, say, 7 seconds?

And for saving someone else, double that, so 14?

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298
    edited July 2021
    Options

It's not.

Average time you spend trapped (not including the initial getting caught animation) is 7.18 seconds, which roughly equals 4 escape attempts.

• TripleSteal
    edited July 2021
    Options

Odds of each possible trap escape scenario (calculations are based on dbd wiki data):

16.7% - 1st attempt escape (1.8s)

13.9% - 2nd attempt escape (3.6s)

11.6% - 3rd attempt escape (5.4s)

9.6% - 4th attempt escape (7.2s)

8.0% - 5th attempt escape (9s)

40.2% - 6th attempt escape (10.8s)

Weighted average time of being trapped is therefore 7.18s.

On each individual attempt but the 6th, your odds to succeed are 1/6. Last attempt gives you a guaranteed escape.

• EntitySpawn
    Options

Really sucks they get out that fast on the first attempt lol, guess I'm just unlucky as per, thanks for the numbers though

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,090
    Options

What? I thought each attempt is 3sec. So thats why survivor trapped on other side of pallet escaped when I done kicking pallet.

25% considered high when the old RNG, Survivors always escape at 2-3 attempts.

New RNG, 2nd attempt at 34% is really high. Most of the time they escape in 2 attempts.

• TripleSteal
    edited July 2021
    Options

I think you are confusing stand-alone probability of each escape attempt to overall chance to escape at X attempts.

2nd attempt by itself suceeds at 16.7%. The combined odds to escape on 1st or 2nd attempt are 30.6%. The chance to escape precisely with your 2nd attempt is 13.9%.

More often than not, survivors do not escape in the first 3 attempts.