Any console Tricksters doing ok (or well) with him using controller?

TheClownIsKing
TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
edited July 2021 in General Discussions

I just don’t know if I have the patience practicing Trickster. But on the other hand I’m still weirdly compelled to try, and I want to know if other console players are doing ok with him.

It’s that damn recoil. Trying to compensate for that using the analogue sticks feels awful. I’m always, ALWAYS wasting more knives than I’m hitting. I might have used all 60 damn knives and STILL not even got someone into the dying state. And I’m on PS5 so I’m not fighting against performance issues, it’s just that damn recoil. 

I can do Clown fine because I’m used to the arc and I can always judge exactly where I can land it. 

Plague I don’t need to worry about accuracy at all, especially if it’s just the early stages where I only need to get every one infected. Someone successfully dodging VP? Fine, I’ll infect the vaults and pallets and force them to use one. 

Twins? I go for stealth pounces at distance so I’m only worrying about a stationary target. If I’m against a team that’s always successfully dodging Victor, I switch it up and only use Victor as a sentry or a trap. 

I can’t do Deathslinger. 

I can’t do PoTD. 

Nemesis? Lol, yeah, ok, no. It’s easy to miss sometimes even when a survivor is in animation lock.

I most definitely can’t do Huntress, and is probably the killer I most dislike using.

No matter how I adjust the stick sensitivity, accurately aiming in this game is UGH 😑 

Trickster looks fun to me. I’d LIKE to get better at him. But the actual play experience is awful for me. Trickster feels like one of the most difficult killers they’ve released so far. I know that it falls down to more time investment and practice, but I want to know if I’m just going to be wasting my time or not. 

So... are there any somewhat competent Tricksters playing with a controller?

What are your tips?

How do you deal with the horrible recoil?

Comments

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Now I am scared to buy him. I didn't even realize he had recoil. Like, what?

I play a lot of fps games, so maybe it will be fine, but that sounds clunky.

• Starr43
    Starr43 Member Posts: 873

I’ve come across near god-tier Huntresses, blights, very solid Tricksters etc so yes it’s possible to master any of the killers on console. I was lucky enough to once come across a legendary curve Hillbilly playing on console and it made my day.

Scuff controllers/modded controllers exist along with Cronus zen/max but I’ve never personally purchased and used them for any games so I have no idea if they would give console players an advantage in Dbd. Plus even if those things fly under the radar on tons of games… it’s still cheating and that’s honestly super lame.

• TheClownIsKing

In fairness I’m not great at FPS and so always go for a shotgun or demolitions. So you might be fine.

Tricksters recoil is very strong. Despite the ability to rapid fire knives, it’s completely pointless because the aim starts going everywhere. It’s not a fun experience fighting against your own power in the game.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

playing on Steam but with Controller, and while i haven’t played Trickster for a while the recoil I actually got used to and could compensate, though I definitely didn’t have perfect accuracy. I will give him another chance after the Midchapter buffs.

I am doing okay with Deathslinger, Nemesis, Clown and Plague. Demo, Victor and Pyramidhead it depends..

I can’t hit anything with Huntress, Oni or Blight though, even after getting their adepts/achievements I gave up on those, Trickster is definitely one of the easier controllable for me.

• TheClownIsKing

What technique are you doing with the controller to compensate for the recoil?

Short bursts? 1 knife at a time? Something entirely different?

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

Dude on pc we get recoil if we hold M1. I'm assuming since you guys are used to hold R2 when playing FPS games, you guys are holding the the button. Try tapping, I tap on pc so I don't get recoil.

• TheClownIsKing

I tap or burst. Still feels awful, and far too easy to miss.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

I don’t really know, I just try to compensate while throwing. I do have gyrocontrols on but to be honest, I can’t remember if I used those for Trickster

i haven’t tried throwing 1 knife at a time though, that would take to much time for me

• TheClownIsKing

It kinda feels at this point that the ability to rapid fire is pretty much pointless, and should be removed.

• Msterflex
    Msterflex Member Posts: 126

Ya Im able to use him decently. Just like with Oni you won’t be as precise with controller

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

It's very difficult to compensate for the recoil.

I gave up a while ago

• TheClownIsKing

How are you landing knives? What tips do you have for exactly how your using the controller?

• TheClownIsKing

This is the cycle I’m currently in. I try a few games and I’m not having fun because I’m fighting the recoil so much. I land so few knives on survivors. So I give up. Then I feel compelled to try again “I must be missing something here.”, only to be in the vicious cycle again. Trickster isn’t like other killers where it took me awhile to “get them”, I.e. a lack of understanding on HOW I should use the power, or the breadth of strategy to a power. My problem with Trickster is an entirely mechanical one.

• stikyard
    stikyard Member Posts: 526

I've faced some Tricksters who are quite good. He is not as weak as everyone thinks he is.

He denies you any loop that isnt tall, you will get injured or go down if you try to play them.

You can loop him but, you will inevitibly get hit and eventually injured or down.

Missing with Trickster is very forgiving, you just keep throwing.

Indoor maps are probably his weakest point but, if his hit requirement goes down to 6 instead of 8, I think he will be pretty tough.

• OopsAllHexes
    OopsAllHexes Member Posts: 624
    edited July 2021

Just don't buy him. The recoil makes him the worst ranged console Killer in the game. Just play Huntress, no recoil AND you just need one good aim to take a health state. Trickster requires you hit 8 knives atm.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

He's my current "main" and controller is incredibly rough with him, mostly because for some reason this game horizontal and vertical sens arent the same, Vertical is slower while horizontal is incredibly fast.

The only reliable way i found to aim his knives is to strafe aim them and only use the right joystick to dampen vertical recoil and never ever uses it to aim horizontaly because the sens is way too fast that it will put you way off target, i guess it could work if you use very low sens but i wouldn't recommend it because it will make M1 chases very sluggish IMO.

I really hope devs gives us in depth sensitivity settings soon because it's what holds back most "aiming based" killers on console.

• cobalt22
    cobalt22 Member Posts: 133

trickster is alot like csgo guns now you gotta learn the recoil pattern. xD

• ouroboros_world
    ouroboros_world Member Posts: 215

Even though he have 60 knives I find myself self having to run more since I usually miss a bunch only good hits I ever gotten is to predict where they going to run to and prefire, I’m just going to wait till the tricksters buffs come on consoles and also when lag spikes will be fixed

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Yeah, I was kind of waiting to see if the buff goes through. But Huntress is lots of fun which is why I wouldn't be heart broken if they keep him at 8 knives.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

Imo Trickster is the worst killer to play on controller right now. Even post-release Blight felt better to play.

It's not just the recoil and spread of knives, the lack of deadzone settings for this game make it simple impossible to keep up with survivor movement. You can't make fine adjustments with the aim and it's painful.

If you can't do well with Huntress and Deathslinger don't even bother with Trickster, the first two actually feel okay to play because you can at least flick your shots with the speargun or be patient with the hatchet.

• OopsAllHexes
    edited July 2021

Yeah, no offense, but if you're actually saying this, you don't understand the difference.

Console Huntress and console Trickster are actually 2 very different things. On PC the difference is much smaller, but on console, it's a huge difference. You need one successful aim to take a health state with Huntress, Trickster requires you hit 7-8 knives on a freaking controller WHILE dealing with recoil. It's unacceptable, even worse at loops.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

I know you said you tried it out already. But keep on trying to learn by tapping. I had another console user tell me they could hit by tapping. And since if we hold M1 we get horrible recoil, I'm going to assume it's the same case for controller. And another thing the slightest movement can cause recoil as well. So try to keep the analog still.

• OopsAllHexes

That's a guaranteed way to give a Survivor 30+ seconds of chase time. Recall that you need to hit 8 knives to take a health state. And leaving at all beforehand makes you lose all of your hard work.

"Tapping" also doesn't change the amount of time it takes to line up a shot, it takes longer to account for Survivors moving around with your aim, it's not as quickly adjustable on a PC. Jungle gyms and shack destroy a console trickster even more than a PC Trickster, it's actually insane.

• TheClownIsKing

Thanks, however none of this helped answer my questions about HOW/WHAT I should be doing on my controller.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I'm fairly prodigious with Killer. I'm able to pick up and learn every Killer very quickly, the only exceptions have been Nurse (who makes me physically ill to play) and Trickster.

He's damn near impossible to compensate for and its so frustrating to be cucked by something you have no control over.

• TheClownIsKing

Yeah... I’m sadly thinking I need to not bother, and keep dismissing my compulsion to keep trying.

I really, REALLY hope (beg) that the next killer isn’t a ranged killer.

• OopsAllHexes

I'd honestly just give up unless you like pain or if you're stubborn. That's what I did tbh.

I honestly regret buying this Killer to give them a chance. I don't know why I thought a ranged Killer would somehow be better than Huntress, I guess I wanted to form my own opinions... not a good idea in the slightest.

The only thing good about Trickster is his perks and that's pretty much it. He's more of a Twinkster with how easy it is to bully a console Trickster who has to M1 constantly.

• TheClownIsKing

Well... I’m at least happy I have the perks. I like his perks.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

the recoil is pretty bad, the only really reliable way to land knives is to play with an old Iri Photocard playstyle. I think the trick is to not start tilting when you miss repeatedly. You see it all the time, even with really good killer players where they throw knives instead of M1ing(fair enough, building up main event) and then they keep missing and missing and you can tell its getting to them.

The lag from bringing up your knives is the real killer :/

• Altarf
    Altarf Member Posts: 1,045

I play him at 40% - 45% sensitivity, which I've found to be the best middle ground between M1 and knives. Play at 40% if the map allows you to use your blades easily like Coldwind or Autohaven, 45% if it doesn't. Always make light adjustments to aim with the right stick.

For recoil, I very lightly hold down on the right stick, which mostly counteracts the recoil. Not the horizontal recoil, mind you, but Trickster throws knives so quickly that odds are some will land on the survivor.

Not much to say besides that. Depending on the situation, sometimes the Slinger tech of picking a spot to aim at and firing there instead of following the survivor is effective.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

He's absolutely awful on console.

The lack of proper controller settings really hurts.Constantly making tiny adjustments (on 100% sensitivity) to hit your target is really exhausting and my thumbs actually start to hurt if i play too many games with him.

Never had that problem in any other game

Lowering your sensitivity might help a bit with the aiming part but then turning around gets really awkward and slow.

I just wouldn't touch him until we get some more advanced controller settings in like 50 years or so.

Play Deathslinger and Huntress instead

• TheClownIsKing

Yeah I’m gonna give up, and wait and hope the next killer isn’t a ranged one.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

I would argue that Huntress is a good and fun beginner console killer for the sole reason that you can always just hit people point blank with the hatchets even though shes 110. Everything else can just come with experience and time. Trickster does not have anything easy going for him.

• Starr43
    Starr43 Member Posts: 873

If a survivor is caught in an area where you can unload.. try aiming at the hamstrings and slightly move the right analog down to compensate. Similar to managing recoil in something like R6 Siege. If a survivor is moving left to right constantly you can try mirroring their movement by rotating left stick up and left to right in a semi-circle or down and left to right if you want back up smoothly while aiming. If this made sense the way I described it then you should have an easier time focusing on keeping you thumb on the right stick down a bit. To avoid recoil altogether then throw one knife at a time or a burst of 3 or so and reset yourself if you need to. Eventually you’ll get the feel for it and become more comfortable.

If this doesn’t help at all I apologize but hopefully it will.

You can also rebind R2 to R1 or vice versa if you’ve already changed the input. A swap like that can subconsciously make you hold the controller differently and possibly increase your control over your movements/inputs.. sometimes it does the opposite though.

• TheMidnightRidr
    TheMidnightRidr Member Posts: 599

After the first couple of knives, each subsequent knife bounces you a little up and to the right. It’s not horrible, but hitting multiple mid to long range knives in a row is a challenge, especially when the survivors are fidgeting to make it harder.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

Pulling up my knives freezes the game also god forbid I use main event that just freezes my game for like 4 seconds

• kate_best_girl
    kate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,184

I was a pretty decent trickster on Xbox though I stopped playing due to frame drops whenever he pulls out knives.

• yui_best_girl_at_me
    yui_best_girl_at_me Member Posts: 80

i seek death

• Haddix
    Haddix Member Posts: 1,048
    edited July 2021

maybe for console players and controller users, but I rapid fire all the time on PC and would hate for that feature to be removed because of controller players struggling to use it. that wouldn't be very fair at all.

• truegod_10
    truegod_10 Member Posts: 393

Playing him is generally awful. I get massive frame-drops everytime I pull the knives out and the recoil makes it even worse. Overall, I need like 20-25 knives usually to get someone injured.

• OopsAllHexes

Yeah, the large ammo count would be pointless too.

I'd rather just remove recoil instead. PC players are basically unaffected by it, they can spray as much as they want and correct the recoil with ease, controller players already struggle with aiming as it is, much less hitting 8 narrow projectiles in a short amount of time. They (technically "we" but eh) don't need a built in mechanic to make doing anything as a already difficult to use Killer even harder.