Am I handicapping myself by using a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard?

yolistenup
yolistenup Member Posts: 2
edited December 2018 in General Discussions

This goes for both survivor and killer. I'm more comfortable using the controller and I'm having a hard time getting used to using the mouse and keyboard.

Comments

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    I play exclusively with a controller and have never had any issues getting 4k.
  • RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436

It all comes down to muscle memory, really.

You can be as good as Keyboard and Mouse users and vice versa, as you said, it comes down to what you're comfortable with.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

Controller works just fine. Been using a controller on DbD for over 2,000 hours (PC) and i'd say the only real struggle would be Huntress and I guess arguably Nurse. Not certain on Nurse because I haven't really bothered to try her out.

I would suggest using Steam Big Picture to have your Right Stick emulate a Mouse if you're finding the in-game controller sensitivity doesn't go high enough.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    AlwaysInAGoodShape Member Posts: 1,301

@yolistenup said:
    This goes for both survivor and killer. I'm more comfortable using the controller and I'm having a hard time getting used to using the mouse and keyboard.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the handicap of using controller is mainly that on console the max sensitivity is too low.
    But besides that, a mouse is more accurate in tracking precise movement.

• yolistenup
    yolistenup Member Posts: 2

Thanks for your responses!

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436

@MojoTheFabulous said:
    Controller works just fine. Been using a controller on DbD for over 2,000 hours (PC) and i'd say the only real struggle would be Huntress and I guess arguably Nurse. Not certain on Nurse because I haven't really bothered to try her out.

I would suggest using Steam Big Picture to have your Right Stick emulate a Mouse if you're finding the in-game controller sensitivity doesn't go high enough.

Wait, you can do THAT?

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

For everything but Nurse and Huntress, no. If you play either of them it will be more difficult, but it you can still do very well with them.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    U will never be as good with controller as with keyboard. With keyboard and mouse u can break the limits of controller. 
  • MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

@Brady said:

@MojoTheFabulous said:

Wait, you can do THAT?

Indeed you can. I wasn't satisfied with the in-game sensitivity for controllers as I found it to be too slow so I used Big Picture to make the Right Stick emulate a Mouse and boosted the sensitivity in Big Picture until I found just the right spot for me.

In fact I did this before there was a sensitivity option because back then, with a controller, it took roughly 2.5 seconds to pull a full turn.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Yes.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Sorta. At least with Killer, yes.
    Survivor is surprisingly controller-friendly.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,936

I use controller for Survivor but a K&M for Killer - I struggled playing killer with a controller personally.

I only started using a controller because I hurt my shoulder and it's painful for me to use the K&M for any length of time, before that I used K&M and I did find the movements much smoother with the keyboard.

• alivebydeadight
    alivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559

killer and survivor you will have issues preforming/countering 360s with a controller, keyboard and mouse can be hard to learn to some people but its more effective

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523
    edited December 2018
    Survivor's pretty good for controller. You just gotta worry about movement, which is mostly just using your noodle and less about accuracy. Killer is a little trickier, since you'll need to aim a little more and adjust to sudden movements.
    Post edited by Peanits on
  • only1biggs
    only1biggs Member Posts: 1,178

@Peanits said:
    Survivors pretty good for controller. You just gotta worry about movement, which is mostly just using your noodle and less about accuracy. Killer is a little trickier, since you'll need to aim a little more and adjust to sudden movements.

This

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    For killer it’s fine, but for huntress? You need to be a MW2 flickshot god to stand a chance with controller seeing as there is no aim assist. 
  • AntiJelly
    AntiJelly Member Posts: 1,155

@yolistenup said:

For survivor, controller is a MUST. It makes playing survivor 100% easier to control. (Also 360s are easier)
    For killer, controller is a resounding NO. It is so much more difficult to aim with controller for killer, especially when you have to whip for 360s.

• alivebydeadight
    alivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559

@Peanits said:
    Survivor's pretty good for controller. You just gotta worry about movement, which is mostly just using your noodle and less about accuracy. Killer is a little trickier, since you'll need to aim a little more and adjust to sudden movements.

use your noodle.....THIS IS WHY I MISS THE LOL BUTTON, WHEN FORUMS GETS HILARIOUS

• Global
    Global Member Posts: 770

If you are playing survivor no. if you are playing killer you are handicapping yourself as with mouse you can turn faster and more accuratly.