Opinions/Thoughts on Slenderman in Dead By Daylight

Mr_Madness
Mr_Madness Member Posts: 1,003

Just interested in everyone's thoughts since quite people like him for reasons and some don't because of other reasons.

I have seen quite a bit of youtube videos of wanting or considering him as a license as a future chapter involving his video game counterpart rather than other media versions.

I personally would love to see him ingame since I always like the few horror stories about him in middle school but Mostly the video games are what got me interested in the character. Slender the 8 Pages and Slender the Arrival were the main games I loved playing because was so unnerving and terrifying not knowing how the game will end.

The movie was a bust but I did like the Marble Hornets series and their movie with him which ironically did not call him Slenderman but some other name which I keep forgetting but they did a pretty good job using him. The funny thing is he turned 12 years old this June so kinda old but not kinda new........man time flies lol.

He would be a scary edition to the game not gonna lie if he had powers from his video games like teleportation, sanity breaks, technology malfunctions, tentacles, and insane stealth for a tall character. Also, his design is sorta simple yet ominous. His lore could be tied to the Entity somehow since no real lore about him and he does give off a "Helper of the Entity vibe".

I would pay anything that's Slenderman DLC anyway since a big part of my middle school time so gives me big nostalgia of the good times playing Slender and cosmetics/sets would probably have a creepy vibe to it like Crypt TV skins.

also love this fan-made chase music I found about him and his killer name does fit him pretty well

Those are my opinion/thoughts so what are yours?

Comments

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    edited July 2021

It could work.... but maybe not

So. He teleports around, he doesn't move, and he attacks if people look at him

So, seeing him carry a survivor and walking around fluently just seems... kinda upsetting.

Maybe unsettling to some, but I don't see that.

Plus, their power would be too... convoluted. Or we'd have a Nurse/Spirit hybrid.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

Lmfao I miss read the title I thought it's says Spiderman and I was like wait what.... 😂😂

• Jarol
    Jarol Member Posts: 1,985

The truth is that I do not care if it is or not, but it works as it really is, A stalker with the ability to drive anyone crazy and teleport.

• Mr_Madness

Yeah true, I would think he would carry them like Nemesis or use his tentacles for a more fitting animation.

Power would be hard but not impossible if given a while to think about it since did see quite a few good concepts that seemed fitting.

Hybrids are not bad but as it's differently played than killers like Deathslinger is sorta similar to Huntress merged with Legion with deep wound.

I just feel like if done right he would be a very good killer to play and face against like a Mirror myers but can do very well in high ranks while giving scares.

Yeah true but would be fun as long its not a insta down all the time since he can get stealth approach almost all the time so insta dowing everyone would be very OP. Maybe some sort of status effect that lasts for a while or something that slows the game down while still providing scares.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

You have a point about hybrids being not always bad, but that combo makes me a little unsettled. Especially since they're the two strongest killers in the game and Slendy kinda mimics their power

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

As long as the power is cool, and if the character has nice lore so it wouldn't feel out of place I would gladly welcome him.

• Mr_Madness

Yeah true, feel like his teleportation would be set locations with 8 random places with pages with a radius he can teleport near the page but can't move the page. Pretty sure Devs could think something making him powerful but still balanced. I mainly just like to see him as stealthy as possible while being Brutal and being good in red ranks so still scary to face against him.

Would be fun playing as Slenderman like from his games while still having fun at red ranks for both sides.

• Mr_Madness

Yeah that describes most people's views on some chapters anyway. It's either you love it or don't mind it in most cases.

Like one person did not mind Myers but loved when Nemesis came out so gotta respect people who go with the flow of the game.

Same here would make a great companion for Ghost face in lore wise since Slenderman would also be connected to the Entity like Ghostface.

• AGM
    AGM Member Posts: 806

No offense to anyone who likes Slenderman, but as I got older I found Slenderman to be kinda... lame. The character is nowhere near the level of horror juggernauts like Myers and Freddy. I think it'd be a bit odd if he ended up in DBD.

• Mr_Madness

Yeah, Slenderman kinda just.....faded out of existence and was hardly mentioned after 2014 then just flat out died in 2017/2018.

Feel like Dead By Daylight would do him some justice judging on how well they did to characters like Pyramid Head and Nemesis.

He deserves some spotlight before he is just another forgotten memory left in the past and plus who knows might be bigger then FNAF.

• Blue_Archer33
    Blue_Archer33 Member Posts: 318

Slenderman is one of the biggest ideas I have wanted this badly since DBD started adding licensed Killers. Even if folklore/mythology Killers aren't *technically* always licensed (like Oni and Spirit), it could be a goldmine of new content that I REALLY wanna see happening.

• Blue_Archer33
    Blue_Archer33 Member Posts: 318

A fair point, but everyone has varying perspectives on what types of horror are effective.

Also, before DBD, were either Myers or Freddy featured in a horror game such as DBD?

• Mr_Madness

It's Licensed I believe by Mythology Entertainment, I would prefer Arrival or a mix between that and slender 8 pages model of Slenderman ingame. The movie version by Sony won't be like at all......that was that threw Slenderman into the abyss.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

i been sayin i want slenderman for a long time. be a very cool additional, don't know how he'd work, but neato.

• Mr_Madness

He would probably work something like Spirit, Doctor, and a hint with Ghostface with stealth. But to be honest he has a lot of powers so tons of possibilities.

What's funny is people actually kinda got hyped thinking he was coming to the game cause of removing faces of dbd logo and something else about some sort of static thing going on which can't remember if it was also the logo or something else.

I have been noticing more Slenderman speculations recently this year so hoping its a sign....even if it's just a sliver of hope.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,940

I actually wonder how that would work license wise who owns slenderman?

• Mr_Madness
    edited July 2021

I looked it up a while ago and its owned by Mythology Entertainment since 2016 which later made the Movie "The we love sooooo much" by Sony

I think it is quite possible to get the License but I just hope his design is based on his original outfit and not the Sony version which is his suit is his body.

Would make sense to go to the Arrival version with maybe an updated look sorta like Noah Summers version.

Noah summers version

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

It's literally a meme (creepypasta), has no "real" backstory, and is associated with some people who went psycho over him. No, thank you.

• VioletCrimes
    VioletCrimes Member Posts: 878

I’m ambivalent. I would just get annoyed if his Mori or abilities put static in my face like in his games.

• Mr_Madness
    edited July 2021

You gotta bring up the Psycho part again.....ugh

It's like me saying I stole a box of cookies from girl scouts and blaming it on Cookie monster. It's literally a fictional character and no one should pin the blame on a character because of something that happened.

The reason he has no backstory is that the internet made him up based on some photos which leave the imagination to the fans.

• Mr_Madness

Yeah Static would be a problem but think they would tone it down like Doctor's power and such so not as annoying maybe few flickers of static during the mori and that's it.

• VioletCrimes
    VioletCrimes Member Posts: 878

A few flickers would be okay. The loud ROAR of static in the games gives me a headache.

• Mr_Madness

Indeed it would since in the games it's loud as heck since it means game over but in dead by daylight, almost every time is a game over so......yeah ears would be bleeding.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

Would be very cool, I think this would be easy to implement him in the game, since he has the statue of a upright demogorgon and his power could be a kind of reversed ghost face, so you dont want to look at him in chase.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,026

Good idea. We'll see about execution though, if it does happen.

• Orion

You gotta bring up the Psycho part again.....ugh

It's the first thing that comes to mind, so yes, I gotta. It'd be like not bringing up sugar when discussing diabetes.

It's like me saying I stole a box of cookies from girl scouts and blaming it on Cookie monster. It's literally a fictional character and no one should pin the blame on a character because of something that happened.

I didn't blame anything on anything, but the fact is, that's a common association.

The reason he has no backstory is that the internet made him up based on some photos which leave the imagination to the fans.

Which is just another way of saying "creepypasta". It's just a character design that some people wrote bad fiction about. I don't find that appealing.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

I really couldn't care less about the IP or design of the killer as long as their power is fun. Bhvr hasn't put out a killer inliked to play consistently since blight and they've only made him worse with the one exception of fixing his pov which should have never made it to live and also f*cked his collision more since for some reason his collision is based on his POV, but yeah I've been in a real drought for new killers and with each chapter release I have less and less faith that they will put out a fun killer again.

• Mr_Madness

That would be a cool mechanic not gonna lie.

Let's just hope the execution is good though lol.

Yes it's the first thing that comes to mind but that does not mean you should have the need to bring it up, I can list tons of similar cases to that like Freddy Kruger but that would be uncivil but also horrible, and because again blaming a fictional character and no one should associate something that happened to something that does not exist.

Him being a "Meme" and being early creepypasta is a good opinion sure which is understandable but no one should be like "Oh that character is connected to "Blank" That happened in real life so I blame them and despise everything"

You say you're not blaming but also saying it's a common association which is same thing as pointing the finger.

Not gonna go deeper into this but I am so sick of hearing this because people had to point the finger at a fictional character cause something bad happened that involved that time. A lot of bad stuff happens in real life but that does not mean we should have the need to keep bringing it up and blame a fictional character that only involvement was being mentioned and instead blame the real flesh and blood people.

He has a lot of potential to be ingame but people won't see it if people keep blaming him for something that was not his fault because again not real and should not keep blaming and associating him with it.

And that's my opinion on that matter and would like to move on and never be mentioned of that ever again because I am so sick of the same thing over and over again.

• Orion

You say you're not blaming but also saying it's a common association which is same thing as pointing the finger.

No, it's saying it's a common association. Firefighters are associated with fire, does that mean I'm blaming firefighters for fires? Yes, I know that example sounds ridiculous, it's on purpose to point out how weird your statement is.

• Mr_Madness
    edited July 2021

It's only common if people believed he was actually involved since Firefighters are always involved in putting out the fires so everyone believes and knows that in general. Slenderman however is not real like Firefighters are real.

I even have some friends that never knew the "Psycho event" and were generally surprised and that was recently when I started discussing Slenderman in DBD and what people might say as an excuse of not wanting him which they were surprised at learning about Psycho part.

Again tragic event but blame the people involved not the fictional character that was made up from some photos.

Lastly, let's moves on since this is irrelevant and sick of being forced to bring it up

• Orion

Again, didn't blame anyone, I mentioned the association. I'll stop mentioning it when you acknowledge that bringing up negative events that people associate with something/someone is not the same as blaming that thing/person for those events.

• Mr_Madness
    edited July 2021

Ok so now you saying not gonna stop mentioning it until I say I am wrong?

Never.

Unlike most cases when people use fictional characters to make certain events they blame the people not the characters but in Slenderman's case people always blame him and always bring it up as some kind of point and I am extremely tired of it.

Tons of events caused by characters like Joker and Freddy Kruger happened in real life but the reason we don't hear it as much is that majority rather focus on the good and bad memories and not the tragic ones.

Again......Move on.

Not gonna back down cause I am getting sick of people blaming Slenderman all the time and people that keep mentioning that event to prove some kind of point and not some other point that involves the character but always that event surrounding him.

So I ask politely........please leave it.

• Orion
    edited July 2021

Ok so now you saying not gonna stop mentioning it until I say I am wrong?

No, just until you acknowledge what I'm actually saying, so I know we're having an actual conversation instead of this one-way accusation where you ignore everything I say.

I already told you, repeatedly, that I'm not accusing a fictional character of anything. I'm stating the fact that something negative associated with that character happened and, therefore, it can be a bit of an issue.

You say you shouldn't blame the fictional character, which is obvious, but think about how the devs would feel if someone showed up on the news saying they'd done something horrible because of DbD. Intellectually, they'd know they weren't responsible, but any normal person would feel guilty nonetheless.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Better than Candyman that only americans know about. So why not. But I think it's better with killers they make themselves since they can fit better into the game.

• Mr_Madness
    edited July 2021

Yes, it could be an issue to have ingame and Yes people would feel guilty bringing it up because of the event.

I acknowledge what you're saying now about people's feelings and how they react to people involved in the event. I just don't like how people always associate him with that event lot of the time when mentioning ithim.

I just remember the times I enjoyed the good short stories in 2012 and playing/watching playthroughs of Slender the 8 Pages and Slender arrival. I hate how it has become tainted by that event because he was brought up by some psychos who were also obsessed with other fictional characters.

I miss the days I can say "I love Slenderman" without people giving me a look of fear thinking I am going crazy and going to snap when mentioning horror icons at places outside.

I just want him to have a chance to ingame so he can be liked and be very relevant again so people can forget the awful association that came upon him. I loved making fan art of him and I still do as shown on bottom.

I wanna see another chance given to him as some justice on what happened and what people involved him.

Again I acknowledge you but just hate to see my childhood tainted because can't mention him anywhere I go outside even my parents were obsessed with making sure I do nothing related or watch anything about him after the event in Middle school.

I just want to see Dead By Daylight do justice for him.

• Mr_Madness

True actually since Slenderman originated from the Internet so most likely everyone knows him.

Also I do like original killers but think Slenderman would be perfect since would fit well with the Entity due to his mysterious looks/powers and no background.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,702

I wrote an entire essay until I realized I was debating about something you might not of even been saying so let me ask a question after a bit.

I acknowledge that people certainly would associate Slenderman with the incident and it would likely cause some drama, similar to when the movie came out and that that is more then a reason to personally not want the character in DBD.

From a business standpoint though, do you feel that the drama/issues that would be caused by adding Slenderman is enough that BHVR should axe the idea entirely, e.g., Jeepers Creepers, or do you feel it would be acceptable for them to add it even with the drama that may come?