110% movement speed, M1 killers, and Legion buffs

During the PTB we've heard a lot about how the Legion was weak and needed buffing. Now that there have been some tweaks made to their power I fully believe that It's not really enough. There still feels like there's something inherently wrong with them and I think I've finally been able to put it into words. Legion desperately wants to be an M1 killer but can't and it's because of how balancing works for 110% movement speed killers.

In order for my argument to make sense I feel like I need to break this down to explain it properly. First is an examination on what it means to be "an M1 killer". If a killer's power isn't applicable in the chase they're considered an M1 killer, so that's what I'll use to define an m1 killer. A killer who's power has limited/no application in the chase and need to down survivors through basic attacks rather than using their powers. Secondly we need to highlight a smaller section of killers within that group that I'll call "ambush killers" These killers are one's who's power gives them first hit potential but not much outside of that. The clear examples of this are the Wraith and the Pig, as they entire point of their power is to allow the player to get the first hit on a survivor easily, but in the chase their power has limited use outside of mind-games. They key thing to note is that both of these killers rely on their 115% movement speed because their power is not always useful pr necessary.

Now we take a look at the killers who do not have 115% movement speed. Between the Hag, the Huntress, the Spirit, or the Nurse can any of them fall into either of the two categories? No. And that's due to how 110% movement speed killers are traditionally balanced. They are not fast, so they need to use their power more often to keep up, and because of this their power must always be useful and usable. Because if you chase a survivor with any of these killers without using your power you are at a major disadvantage. That's what sets these killers apart, they rely on their power more than 115% killers.

This finally brings us to Legion, they are weak because they need their ability to catch survivors, however their ability is too restrictive and isn't useful or usable in many situations. Because they play like an ambush/m1 killer but don't have the movement speed that reflects that. Their ability and how it's balanced most closely resembles that of an ambush killer. During normal gameplay the Legion is able to attack multiple survivors and injure them however they can only chase one, and they cannot use their ability in the second half of a chase without a penalty. And this penalty is important otherwise it would be too easy to down people, so the fact that it takes too long to down someone with their power makes people play them as an ambush killer, you use your power to get the first hit in and then you finish the chase an m1 killer. The best outcome to using their power is that you get all four survivors hurt and distracted and 1 hook out of it. That's good. In that sense I think that Legion's power is well balanced. Because it allows you to effect a bunch of survivors but doesn't let you down them all at once.

But now that all the survivors are hurt and you're chasing one of them down you need to do it quickly or else whatever you gained from using your power is lost. And that's the common complaint with Legion, it takes too long to down someone because you're too slow, and your only means of catching up won't help you because it won't let you down an injured survivor. So that's why they're weak, they are balanced like an ambush killer, they play like an ambush killer, but they don't have the 115% movement speed which makes ambush/m1 killers usable. To make Legion fun they either need to make the power less restrictive and more usable by the Legion in chases or give them the 115% movement speed that would compliment their playstlye.

Comments

• That_One_Scrub
    That_One_Scrub Member Posts: 35

I agree completely. However, I would MUCH rather have Feral Frenzy become less restrictive, rather than making Legion into another M1 killer. Frenzy is fun, so maximizing that fun should be the priority.

• Youkari
    Youkari Member Posts: 53

Its already proclaimed from the devs they won't buff his movement speed... similar like people wanted Hag to gain 115% before her patch months ago... so even though ur reasoning is logical, the devs will rather work outside the 115% buff instead. In my personal opinion a legit choice as Legion has a strong core ability (faster movement speed on activity, overcoming defenses easily by speed vaulting, crowdcontrol tracking and passive potential lethal threat) just a slight miscalculation can make Legion next to Nurse without that skill requirement... but now he's far from being Nurse tier/high tier but also far from low tier considering the objectives for killers outside of killing... so what he needs are tweaks on his power like no harsh power reset on normal hits, fatigue duration/cooldown replenishment on manual cancellation of frenzy as well making survivors suffering both exposed and deep wound ailments at the same time getting downed even with frenzy... and maybe other tweaks we may not think of as of now

• AlexAnarchy
    AlexAnarchy Member Posts: 685

@Youkari said:
    Its already proclaimed from the devs they won't buff his movement speed... similar like people wanted Hag to gain 115% before her patch months ago... so even though ur reasoning is logical, the devs will rather work outside the 115% buff instead. In my personal opinion a legit choice as Legion has a strong core ability (faster movement speed on activity, overcoming defenses easily by speed vaulting, crowdcontrol tracking and passive potential lethal threat) just a slight miscalculation can make Legion next to Nurse without that skill requirement... but now he's far from being Nurse tier/high tier but also far from low tier considering the objectives for killers outside of killing... so what he needs are tweaks on his power like no harsh power reset on normal hits, fatigue duration/cooldown replenishment on manual cancellation of frenzy as well making survivors suffering both exposed and deep wound ailments at the same time getting downed even with frenzy... and maybe other tweaks we may not think of as of now

Actually, it was stated they possibly could make him 115% but they'd have to take a look again at his power which easily means, they'd give him 115% but then make sure he's nerfed hard enough for it to still not matter.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited December 2018

Once again, its the DEVs fine attempt, at a "Fun" killer.

At least The Spirit saw some success after a nice balance patch.

Problem with Legion is, if they make him 115% they will end up doing something to their power that isn't a buff.

Gonna be fun to balance them