Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Proposed Fix to Stretched Resolution (In Full)

InsaneCoaster
InsaneCoaster Member Posts: 305
edited July 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

Stretched resolution is a controversial topic, since arguments for its use can be both reasonable and unreasonable. On the one hand, a significantly stretched resolution can give enough extra FOV to the point where it may serve as an advantage to the player in some scenarios. On the other hand, stretched resolution can act as an optimizer or FPS booster for the game; making DBD (a pretty poorly optimized game) more playable for those who experience optimization issues.

To be completely clear about my bias here, I am a stretched resolution user (1440x1080) mainly for the above reason, but I understand the counterarguments people have. For this reason, the changes below are, in my opinion, the best way to fix the problem while ensuring both sides feel as satisfied as possible by the outcome:

THE FIX:

1) Optimize the game to the point where playing on native 1920x1080 at 60FPS is accessible to ALL players with reasonable hardware - INCLUDING console players who, from what I've heard, have had to suffer through some awfully optimized patches recently. This way, there is no reasonable excuse to use stretched resolution.

2) Fix the FOV issue. The only reason why some people found stretched to be an issue, was because it provided players with an FOV increase. Once this bug in the game engine is fixed, much like it was in Fortnite (another Unreal Engine game), people who oppose stretched resolution will no longer have any reasonable grounds to oppose it. It's also worth mentioning that technically, stretched res can give a disadvantage if you stretch it the other way - this is a problem that players with ultra-wide monitors experience.

3) Add an FOV slider. DBD lacks a lot of basic in-game graphics settings, and although some may disagree here, I believe an FOV slider is quite a basic one. If players want a bit of extra FOV, they can have the option (to an extent). This would include every player on every platform. In my opinion, the maximum FOV would be the equivalent of what a 4:3 or 1440x1080 resolution would give players, but I am of course biased as a user of this resolution, so I am more than open to debate on this one if people feel this is too great of an FOV to offer players.

Will be happy to hear what people think of these steps :)

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• mrgrimes
    mrgrimes Member Posts: 66

"stretched" resolution should be in game settings by default

• InsaneCoaster

Well this is the thing. If these steps were to be implemented, then people with reasonable stretched resolutions wouldn't even be affected, since they could still change their resolution and change their FOV. It would just be limited to prevent absurdly stretched resolutions from being used - those which give an actual noticeable advantage.

• InsaneCoaster

I didn't say it wasn't optimized to run at 1080p. I said the game isn't optimized well at all.

• InsaneCoaster

But at least an FOV slider would be fair, no? It's not like this is some kind of strange, obscure setting. A huge amount of modern games have this as a feature, including competitive games, and DBD isn't even competitive.

I don't care if people don't accept me as a stretched res user, I will continue to use it either way unless something is done to improve the performance and settings of the game.

Interesting you mentioned low graphics, because I'm forced to use that too, since the game is so damn dark on ultra and for some reason DBD is one of the only games ever not to have a brightness slider.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989
    edited July 2021

Add big black bars on the side of the screen. Problems solved. FOV is perk-specific *feature* and has nothing to do with anyone's particular hardware.

Sucks for those dealing with stretched resolution, but most modern hardware can be set to have something as effective or similar to the black bars anyways.

Edit: most hardware resolution changes prompt dbds software to adjust the FOV accordingly. FOV is intended not to be controlled by the end user at all.

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

People complained about that.

But to be honest, ######### them. I'd rather have it be a fair playing field.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

While we're at it, can we get a brightness setting too?

Also, can we get a setting that turns any kind of grass off? My hardware lags cuz of all the corn.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

So dont have it set to ultra... seriously the game is meant to be somewhat dark. Us console players put up with it being dark without editing a bunch off settings. Still stands that low graphics, filters, stretch res etc. Are benefits and alot of people use them as so, low graphics looks nasty same as filters I just wish people was honest about it helping them.

I play how the games designed, this is why I always hate crossplay with pc, pc tend to ruin it by changing settings

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

I don't think you should turn off grass and brightness.

But that's mostly BHVR being ######### at optimization.

• InsaneCoaster

I genuinely prefer the look of Low settings because of the brightness. That's why I can't use Ultra. Also hang on, are you saying PC players shouldn't be allowed to use filters or change settings? That's literally one of the main reasons people play on PC: the versatility. Not everybody's setup is the same and not everybody's preferences are the same, that's what's so great about filters and modifications.

• lucid4444
    lucid4444 Member Posts: 682

Just make a bug that crashes the game if the resolution is too wide on windowed mode. Pretty easy, bugs are created every patch

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Agreed. Uniformisation toward platforms is needed.

FoV, Brightness, Quality... All players should have access to the same basics.

• InsaneCoaster

Exactly. Naturally there will always be differences between platforms like custom game filters etc on PC, but the basics should be available to all users. It's crazy how limited the graphics options are in DBD.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,175

This. I will never believe someone is using stretched res b/c they can't run the game otherwise. Its purely to have an advantage. You can have a GTX900 series or even worse, and still run this game on all low settings. People shouldn't lie about why they use stretched res either, its pathetic. We all know you use it because you know it brings advantages and you 'want' those advantages, its not a necessity. Don't spin it that way.

• InsaneCoaster

Not at all. This game is not well optimized, even on PC.

I used to be a native player for a long time. The moment I switched to stretched, the performance difference was immediately noticeable. Lag spikes were less severe and FPS was higher. It's simple, if you're rendering less, your performance increases. If I wanted stretched res to cheat, I would use something like 1080x1080. That argument isn't consistent.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,331

POV sliders have been restricted to certain perks since forever. If were gonna introduce them in the settings menu, then Shadowborn and M&A need to be redone. It also of course needs to have a reasonable limit.

• EntitySpawn

Ah yes, I prefer the low graphics argument because everyone prefers the game looking like it's on a PS2... you legit just said you like the brightness, you like it bright as you can see more making it easier for you. THAT is an advantage over all xbox and playstation players, same as filters which dont make it look nicer or better, its purely so scratch Mark's, red stains and other things are far more visible.

You use stretch res (unfair advantage looking over/round loops)

You use Low graphics (makes the map empty, brighter and easier to see all things especially in the distance)

You use filters (makes red stain, scratch Mark's and other aspects much easier to see)

All these are competitive advantages you are using, they do not make the game look better. I do bot want my game to look disgusting to be on an equal playing field. Just admit you like the extra help and be the end of it

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,209
    edited July 2021

The reason stretched resolution is a contentious topic at all is because a larger FOV gives you an advantage in this game. It relies on your vision, and there's a reason why Killer is 1st person, and why maps are designed with LOS blockers which can both obscure the survivor who's trying to stealth around the killer, or obscure the approach of a stealth killer. Undermining either of them breaks the game for the other side. How is it fair if from your own experience you know that you are currently obscured, but your opponent can see you because of 'settings' that you're not able to access?

This is why FOV adjustments in the game currently exist as perks, Monitor and Abuse, and Shadowborn. Gaining that extra advantage comes at the cost of using up a perk slot.

Increasing your FOV gives you an edge, and can work around some LOS blockers. So any FOV slider would be utterly pointless, players would all simply set it to maximum, which would likely be what we have now. Basically, a FOV slider would simply give you the option to reduce your FOV, which nobody would take.

• Seraphor

When those 'preferences' alter the gameplay experience by giving you an advantage, in a game that is all about visual cues, then yes, it should be limited. The fact that PC players can lower their settings to make things much, much more clear, while console players have very limited settings and cannot make their game as clear, is a problem.

• InsaneCoaster

I'm sorry, but what you're saying is crazy. Since when has using filters or changing brightness ever been considered an exploit? If I prefer my game to look brighter or the colors to be enhanced, why can't I do that? I'm not hacking, I'm not modifying any game files, I'm just using my GPU drivers. If using GPU drivers/software is considered cheating, then literally half of all PC players in this game are cheating.

Of course console players can't do the same thing, but that's just the nature of the platform. They're not designed to be able to do that, modern PC software and drivers are designed with that in mind.

So in terms of admitting I like the extra help - yes, I prefer my game to be actually playable where I can actually see what I'm doing in order to use my skill, and yes, I prefer to not have FPS drops that affect my performance in a game. But oh well, guess I'm just a dirty cheater XD.

• InsaneCoaster

Well I agree, console players should be allowed to change more settings, hence why I believe brightness and FOV sliders should be in the settings menu. What I'm proposing hugely benefits console players.

• EntitySpawn

Looks like you got pretty upset about me calling out the advantages you get. By all means use your ugly graphics and filters, I dont need them to play well. But stretched res is cheating while the others are just advantages. And my performance is great thankyou, no issues what so ever on the new gen and I'm able to run the default graphics not setting it to low. Dont get upset because people dont support you changing how the game was made to suit you or as you say "help to use your skill"

• InsaneCoaster
    edited July 2021

Wdym, I'm not at all upset XD. I don't care what other people think, I will continue to play the game with the settings I want. If I like low settings because it means I can see the game better, then why not use it? It's an in-game option. If I like the look of a filter, why not use it, it's just my GPU software?

Now arguments against stretched res I 100% can understand, hence why I even made this post in the first place, because I want the game to be more fair for all players. I'm happy to debate that, but you can't say that just because someone uses filters, they're looking for unfair advantages. That's crazy. Not everyone has the same monitors, PCs, overall setups and opinions. You might like the game's brightness as it is, others may not. That's why 95% of modern games have a brightness slider (but not DBD oddly). Asking for some basic graphics settings that DBD desperately lacks is not a particularly outrageous idea.

• EntitySpawn

You cant say making things easier to see isn't an advantage though as it clearly is... but like I said I dont really care, I accept it. Even given the choice I wouldn't want low graphics as I think it looks awful. By all means pc can use low or filters just dont think it's not an advantage over the console players.

Some people hate on M&K due to some of the turning and aiming it can help with, another thing I dont care about.

Only thing that bothers me is stretched res. It should be banned imo, it ruins mindgame a certain loops and I feel that aspect should remain in the game, if everyone can just look over every loop its be far more bland and survivor sided. Not being able to see over everything is what makes the weaker loops balanced

• Seraphor

But you completely missed the part where I said we won't be getting an increased FOV.

• DoomedMind
    DoomedMind Member Posts: 793

Hhhh !!!!

HOW DARE YOU SAY THE GAME ISN'T OPTIMIZED ?!

BHVR will call the police NOW.

Seriously, we all want an entire year of optimizing the game.

But... You know... Moneyyyy *_*