Buff survivor as a whole to SWF level, then buff killers to achieve a balanced game

Options
Leon_Loves_Cheryl
Leon_Loves_Cheryl Member Posts: 41
edited July 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

Survivors get Decisive Strike, Borrowed Time, and Kindred built in passively. This potentially opens up three perk slots. Additionally, survivors get a rudimentary Ping System (Scott Jund's idea) that allows them to communicate to all other survivors with little pop-ups next to their portraits. Callouts such as:

1. I'm doing a gen!
  2. I'm being chased!
  3. I need healing! (No Genji mains allowed)

And so on.

Meanwhile, for killers:

1. Killers gain three more perk slots for Seven in total.
  2. Early Game Slowdown. All generators receive a 50% reduction in repair speed until one of three things happen: a survivor gets Downed, the first generator is Repaired, or two minutes pass.

And now with these fundamental systems overhauled, we'll finally have a good foundation to balance the game in the future. We can finally buff and rework the plethora of useless/unused perks that exist on both sides. I strongly believe that these changes will make for a better and healthier game.

Comments

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,000
    Options

Scott stop stealing my idea's, I know you use these forums. /jk

I don't know if these two changes in particular would be balanced together, but Solo Survivors do need communication tools such as the ping system, that are superfluous to SWF groups. Then yes, killers can likely be buffed a little, but these killer buffs sound a bit much, maybe just the slowdown part.

I'd be fore a 5th killer perk slot IF it was dedicated to just Hex perks. Along with an overall Hex perk rework so that they're all viable as solo Hex perks, and ideally so that they all scale with the number of totems instead of being reliant on one single totem.

• Leon_Loves_Cheryl
    edited July 2021
    Options

Keep in mind that many survivors would essentially be gaining three perk slots since I'm making Kindred, BT, and DS built-in to the survivor as a whole. One may argue that killer should have even more than three more perk slots although personally I think three is fine. If killer ends up being sufficiently strong in the face of the Survivor buffs, then we don't need to keep the early game slowdown mechanic. I'd rather sacrifice that aspect than the 3 additional perk slots.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,000
    edited July 2021
    Options

The problem is that killer perks are on average much stronger and more effective than survivor perks. It's already 4 versus 16.

Perks like Kindred are already shared amongst survivors when used as it is, similar to Prove thyself, etc. So it's really only freeing up one perk slot for the whole team.

So no, giving survivors extra information isn't a fair enough trade to give killers 3 extra perks, which could easily be OP things like NOED, Undying, Ruin, Blood Warden, No Way Out, Devour, Make Your Choice, etc.

Killers could stack 3 slowdown perks, 3 exposure perks, and still have room for one more.

What happens if a killer brings more than 5 Hex perks? or more than 4 including Haunted Ground?

Personally I wouldn't give Kindred as basekit, instead I'd give the ability to track survivors locations via an effect similar to Killer Instinct. A heartbeat and a pulsing, directional indicator, but not an aura. this is less informative than Kindred so the perk itself still has use, but still provides the same sort of info that voice comms would.

Borrowed Time would be too OP basekit. Instead I'd change it so that any unhooked survivor has no collision for 5 seconds. This prevent them being instantly downed, and also prevents them from bodyblocking the unhooker. BT can then continue to work as it does now for 10 seconds following that initial 5 seconds, bringing it back up to 15 seconds total.

Decisive Strike as basekit is also too strong, and, similarly to BT being basekit, would be a monumental buff to SWF groups, while being slightly less of a buff to solo players, which just further widens the gap between SWF and solo.

• Leon_Loves_Cheryl
    edited July 2021
    Options

So you're saying that my changes would make killer too OP, but then you say that the survivor changes are also OP.

That's the point. Buff survivor to buff killer. You're approaching my argument backwards so of course it will appear that things don't make sense. Killer won't be op with these buffs if survivors are buffed to the extent that I outlined. The early game slowdown is already an ambivalent "implement if needed" thing. If these changes end up happening and killer is still underwhelming even with three additional perks, early game slowdown will likely fix that.

>The problem is that killer perks are on average much stronger and more effective than survivor perks. It's already 4 versus 16.

Yes, this is true, though that doesn't make it a problem to give them 3 more perk slots when the other side is potentially gaining 12 due to three perks becoming built into basekit. The killer isn't getting that. The majority of perks on both sides are also garbage, there is a very small minority of usable perks for both teams.

>Perks like Kindred are already shared amongst survivors when used as it is,

This doesn't strengthen your argument, it strengthens mine. It's shared among all of them so make it built in for all of them, plus it's an information perk so the gap between solo and SWF thins out, which is what this game desperately needs to become balanced.

>So it's really only freeing up one perk slot for the whole team.

No it isn't, it's freeing up three because I'm making BT, DS, and Kindred basekit. You're viewing this from the perspective of a SWF player. Yes, that's exactly the point, *of course* SWF isn't going to benefit much from these changes, that's the entire purpose.

>So no, giving survivors extra information isn't a fair enough trade to give killers 3 extra perks

Once again, I'm not just giving survivors information. They're getting THREE basekit perks. You're viewing this from a SWF perspective and arguing that "it's not gonna do enough", but that's the whole point, we don't want to buff SWF we want to buff the survivor role as a whole to SWF's level without buffing SWF.

>What happens if a killer brings more than 5 Hex perks? or more than 4 including Haunted Ground?

Make more totems spawn.

>Borrowed Time would be too OP basekit.

That's the point. That's the entire purpose. Because if it's OP, then killer can be buffed to the same level to achieve balance.

>Decisive Strike as basekit is also too strong, and, similarly to BT being basekit, would be a monumental buff to SWF groups,

No it wouldn't. If some dude in a SWF is bodyblocking you with DS just knock him back down to the ground and continue doing what you were doing. I don't know when the last time you played is, but it seems like it was a while ago. DS was recently changed to no longer be such a problematic and annoying harassment tool.