Deceptive Marketing

Options

Legion was explicitly marketed as a killer with four different personas. When you purchase the DLC, however, you are only given two of those four personas and the other two are locked behind a pay/grind wall. This is inherently deceptive and is one of the major reasons I refuse to purchase this DLC, which is sad because I really wanted to play this new killer. But I'm not going to reward BHVR for making me pay full price to only get half the killer they promised.

Comments

• Incarnate
    Incarnate Member Posts: 677
    Options

@Tsulan said:
    I found the reveal trailer more deceptive. 
    Him being able to run together with survivors and surprising them.

Plain false advertising. 

That is what you call misleading advertising, and depending on what country the advertiser resides in, will determine it's legality, in the US misleading advertising is illegal, and I don't believe Canada is an exception here either.

• AntiJelly
    AntiJelly Member Posts: 1,155
    edited December 2018
    Options

@shadesofjoe said:
    Legion was explicitly marketed as a killer with four different personas. When you purchase the DLC, however, you are only given two of those four personas and the other two are locked behind a pay/grind wall. This is inherently deceptive and is one of the major reasons I refuse to purchase this DLC, which is sad because I really wanted to play this new killer. But I'm not going to reward BHVR for making me pay full price to only get half the killer they promised.

Hey pal, they're cosmetics. They have close to no effect on gameplay. They did not promise anything, BHVR only made a teaser promoting the lore of the character. You are not entitled to anything. For eight entire dollars you can have a killer, a survivor, and their perks. If two measly little skins are going to affect your decision on buying this chapter, go right ahead. No one is going to stop you.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options
    Incarnate said:

@Tsulan said:

Plain false advertising. 

That is what you call misleading advertising, and depending on what country the advertiser resides in, will determine it's legality, in the US misleading advertising is illegal, and I don't believe Canada is an exception here either.

Yeah, I suppose there will be some consequences. 
  • Incarnate
    Options

@Tsulan said:
    Incarnate said:

@Tsulan said:

Plain false advertising. 

Yeah, I suppose there will be some consequences. 

Only if someone is going to report them, file charges or is going to be suing them, otherwise that is not very likely to be happening.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320
    edited December 2018
    Options

. . . .

• shadesofjoe
    shadesofjoe Member Posts: 19
    edited December 2018
    Options

"Darkness Among Us is a brand-new Chapter for Dead by Daylight, which includes a new Map.

The everyday contains many hazards. But the comforts of routine shroud the unfathomable risks of a threat so intimate, so familiar, that it can only be seen in hindsight. A disturbing, violent force could be raging within the people closest to you. Darkness is among us, every day.

The raw cravings and impulses of adolescence are powerful. The desire to belong can be just as unbelievably strong. When three teens get involved with an impulsive mastermind, they discover an addictive kind of freedom. Together, they spiral out of control and become the wrong kind of crowd, The Legion, which leaves no rule unbroken."

This seems to very explicitly state that The Legion is four distinct people. 

I'm not saying anyone should be entitled to cosmetics. But if you look at the datamine, you can see that there are four separate character models for The Legion. It's not just simply putting different clothes on a male/female shell. I'm not paying full DLC price to only get two of them when all of their marketing explicitly states that the new killer is four different people. 

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142
    Options

Simple. Do not pay. Issue resolved. Moving on

• azazer
    azazer Member Posts: 446
    Options

Simple. Do not pay. Issue resolved. Moving on

This. Everyone knew what you'd get with the update when the ptb launched. Assuming your get more because of a data mine leak is your presumption.
  • Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650
    Options

Some of you are a bit ridiculous.

I was thinking it would be 4 different masks, 1 male body, 1 female.

The trailer.. get over that. That was just for fun.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320
    Options

See... I don't know.. I read that description about the "three teens get involved..."

So I could see how someone might think to themselves what the OP said.. but...

It does say they form the Legion..

You get the killer called "The Legion"...

It doesn't really say... "The new killer, The Legion, comes with 4 different cosmetics so every player can choose their persona...."

That is sort of the leap people are taking here... turning something they want into what is actually being said.

I think this all boils down to is people assuming something they shouldn't be.

I don't know what the other person means by "explicit"... because it DOES NOT explicitly say... You get all the cosmetics that make up these 4 people....

@shadesofjoe said:

Maybe look up the word explicit, since you may have misunderstood the meaning.

• shadesofjoe
    Options
    Just because they under-delivered on the PTB foesnt make it ok. That's like saying it's okay for a company to mislead customers because they made it clear in advance they were going to be misleading. Still doesn't address the issue. 
  • shadesofjoe
    Options
    If all four killers are supposed to be folded into one killer then why do they give you two of the four and offer the other two for purchase? Why not just give you one skin and cosmetics for just that one skin?
  • Incarnate
    Options

@shadesofjoe said:
    Just because they under-delivered on the PTB foesnt make it ok. That's like saying it's okay for a company to mislead customers because they made it clear in advance they were going to be misleading. Still doesn't address the issue. 

Exactly, and moreso because there are a lot of people purchasing it without having participated in the PTB, this is something that has to be very clear what you're getting from your purchase, otherwise it's what you see is what you get kind of thing.

• Dwight_Confusion
    Options

They should of given us 4 masks. That is clear. At least that. It was somewhat misleading... but in the end we got 1 killer.

When did we get multiple versions of other killers? Never. I don't see how this is that big of a problem. We got 2 full versions of 1 killer.

It's fine. Move on.

• shadesofjoe
    Options

I want to be clear. I'm not saying we should get the cosmetics that are in the store right now. For one, people have already paid money/shards for them and also it's obviously fine to have premium cosmetics for killers.

But we should get basic versions of Joey and Susie, imo. Otherwise you only have half of The Legion.

• Arsoul
    Arsoul Member Posts: 320
    Options

@shadesofjoe said:

Not really. There's more than one mask, Male and Female.
    Get over it you entitled baby

• shadesofjoe
    Options

@Arsoul said:

@shadesofjoe said:

Thanks for your insightful and well-rounded feedback. /s

• Arsoul
    Options

@shadesofjoe said:

@Arsoul said:

@shadesofjoe said:

No problem. I'll continue to call you out whenever it is required.

• Dwight_Confusion
    Options

They just need to give us the masks of the other 2 then at least.

1 male

2 masks

1 female

2 masks

solved.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,759
    Options
    Tsulan said:

Plain false advertising. 
    I guess you've never seen a cinematic trailer. 🙄
  • shadesofjoe
    Options

@Arsoul said:

@shadesofjoe said:

@Arsoul said:

@shadesofjoe said:

Lol. Obvious troll is obvious.

• Arsoul
    Options

@shadesofjoe said:

@Arsoul said:

@shadesofjoe said:

@Arsoul said:

@shadesofjoe said:

Lol. Obvious troll is obvious.

Not everyone that calls you out is a troll, but feel free to think that if you wish.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,759
    edited December 2018
    Options
    In this topic are a bunch of people who don't understand what false advertising actually is. If you read the description of the chapter when you're about to purchase, it's the same as any other: 1 killer, 1 survivor, 1 map.

Cannot believe how absolutely whiny 50% of this forum is. You act like entitled brats.
  • Arsoul
    Options

@brokedownpalace said:
    In this topic are a bunch of people who don't understand what false advertising actually is. If you read the description of the chapter when you're about to purchase, it's the same as any other: 1 killer, 1 survivor, 1 map.

Cannot believe how absolutely whiny 50% of this forum is. You act like entitled brats.

100% agree

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,164
    Options

I will agree, it is stupid that we only get Frank and Julie by basic, and I can mostly only see it as a desperate money grab.
    However, do you realize how many BASE cosmetics they would have? SIXTEEN. And then you would have to have all of those prestiged, so that would be 32 plus the knives and the snowy eyes mask, for a total of 35 "base" cosmetics.
    All in all, they did it to save resources. I don't exactly like it, but it makes sense.

• shadesofjoe
    edited December 2018
    Options
    So far all I've seen are ad hominem attacks and nothing resembling a counterargument.

I mean, if there were different character models for other killers (and not just reskins of the same model) for purchase on the store I could see the argument, somewhat. But there aren't.

Also, to suggest that there isn't a clear choice on BHVR's part to push four different personas as part of the essential marketing for The Legion is just disingenuous. If that's where you are, we can't have an honest conversation about this topic.

This whole thing is tantamount to a bait-and-switch. For some of you, that's not a problem. Good for you. But that doesn't make it any less unethical. 
  • Incarnate
    Options

From their steam product page it does't explictly state which is in the group legion, but they did state there are 3+1 in the group, so obviously there are four. So can understand why some would feel this misleading advertising, because that it actually is, but it's at the same time also a bit in the grey zone because they haven't explicitly stated on the product page who's in it. So they could quite easily fix this by just one additional different male and female mask and labelling the names of those not currenly there. Because if they don't then they haven't delivered what they have marketed it as.

• not_Queen
    not_Queen Member Posts: 1,114
    Options

Feedback done to the team! Thanks for your time guys!

• megdonalds
    megdonalds Member Posts: 742
    Options

Too many people in this forum with too many first world problems, ffs.

• iTz_KilLaZ_x
    iTz_KilLaZ_x Member Posts: 300
    edited December 2018
    Options

Its still false advertising. Just because you don’t care or think it’s a “first world problem” doesn’t mean we’re wrong 
  • Incarnate
    Options

@iTz_KilLaZ_x said:
    megdonalds said:

Its still false advertising. Just because you don’t care or think it’s a “first world problem” doesn’t mean we’re wrong 

Indeed, BHVR needs to be more precise and stay consistent with it.

It is noted in case anyone missed @not_Queen 's post about it.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    Options
    I'd love to know how they design the cosmetics.

The standard appearence for killers ranges from meh to good.

What you can buy in the store however is often fantastic.

Do they design the killer, then think of cool outfits?

Or do they designa few different looks and then save the best for the store?
  • shadesofjoe
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thank you @not_Queen for responding and conveying this. I appreciate that you guys are at least listening.