The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The blurred line between cheating and preference for stretched res

This is from a video by uslysss and most of you all

know he used to use stretched res. Now you could make the argument this res is used for preferences/ performance and yes it is a valid point, but others might say it’s all for a competitive advantage which is also true

Now this is a pic I got from someone on YouTube. Now before you say “ that’s not stretched res “ you have to take into account that his recording soft ware recorded it as 1:1 even though it was stretched with his Nvdia settings. Now you can play like this with black bars or without and it would be the same. Now that I got that out of the way how we can say this is for performance? And how can we even say it’s a preference, I’ve seen this res stretched to 16:9 and it’s absolutely awful

this person was playing on 1440 by 1440 btw

Comments

• urbanevasioncare
    urbanevasioncare Member Posts: 12

Uslyss res was 1600 x 1080 I think

• chapizwow
    chapizwow Member Posts: 25

As long as BHVR keeps allowing it...not much to do, yes it interferes with normal gameplay and gives the user significant advantage; but not much to do, worst part is that it isn't even the worst way of "blurred line between cheating or not", there are mods (which are allowed, like the ones almost everyone uses to change the perks images) that are practically cheats, that mark you all the stuff in the map (gens, windows, traps, totems, etc).

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

I think it's cheating, but it looks like so much ######### is it even worth it

Also stuff like making bear traps pink or making the killer easier to see is definitely cheating

Perk icons and such isn't a big deal since it doesn't affect anything, but anything that alters stuff that affects gameplay is unfair

• Exxodus21
    Exxodus21 Member Posts: 1,170

It's cheating, plain and simple. They're altering the game in an unintended way to gain an unintended advantage. BhVR may not be banning for it right now, but it's still a cheat.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,169

Almost every avid Dbd player considers it as a form of cheating but you're right, its a blurred line because its neither enforced or against the rules.

I will never agree with anyone who says its for performance or viability. You can run this game on a GTX 900 series on all low settings and still be fine, you're using it for an advantage and you don't want to admit it so you use this excuse to shield accusations and appear innocent when you're not.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Stretched res is cheating, this is not debatable.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,403
  • EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Anything that changes the game which isn't accessible to all and clearly goes against what the game intended is cheating or a competitive advantage.

Everything from filters, low graphics, stretch res etc. Are competitive advantages

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

It seems very clear that "I want my game to look ugly, that's just what I prefer," is a cover for "I want to have an advantage in the game." But I'm not sure whether there's anything anyone can do about it.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616
    edited August 2021

Stretched are cheating, no discussion, stretched resolutions is like using Shadowborn as 5th perk as killer but better.

In the case of survivors, they can see the killer in high walls loops and some jungles, it's an exploit.

Behaviour can't really do nothing, because a custom resolution cannot be considered cheating with a rulebook in the hands because you are not modyfing game archives or using a 3rd party software intented for chetaing, but they are in fact cheating due the obvious advantages.