Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

What do YOU think it means when a survivor waves their arms on the hook?

Comments

• AshInTheTallGrass
    AshInTheTallGrass Member Posts: 1,670

Judging from the replies, a lot of people do think it means "come get me." Since there's no consensus, it explains why there's confusion in solo queue. No one knows what the other is trying to say but we all think we do.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

Thats very true. For me it means the killer is camping. Maybe it would be a good idea to create a poll and go with the general understanding of it.

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911

Usually i take it as "come get me"

Or they're just bored lol

• AshInTheTallGrass

Yeah. Some people were really specific in what they think it means. Some were:

If the arm waving starts immediately after being hooked, it means the killer is camping.

If the survivor is faking getting themselves off, it means "come get me."

If the survivor moves their arms rapidly, it means camping. But if they do just one or two, it means "come get me."

Sometimes it's even a warning of a trap (I've done that myself).

Some people think it strictly means camping, others it strictly means "come get me."

• Booba
    Booba Member Posts: 62

In my experience it's ADHD.

Since they usually start waving their arms as soon as they're hooked and don't stop until someone is there to unhook them.

Doesn't matter if they're camped, hooked and left alone or whatever.

So idk.

• AshInTheTallGrass

The bored ones are probably in the most trouble lol if they've got teammates who think it means the killer is camping, they're probably going to die on first hook. If they've got teammates who think it means "no one is coming" and two or three survivors run to the hook at once to get them, they might let him linger on stage 2 a lot longer because they assume someone else has got it lol

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005

Then they should not complain when competent teammates don't save them and let them die on their first hook thinking they are being camped.

• Itslat3ncy
    Itslat3ncy Member Posts: 353

Ha competent teammates oh plz I solo q being competent doesnt exist

• AshInTheTallGrass

I read that and thought, "I'm competent." But now I feel like that scene from Infinity War when the Guardians find Thor.

"He is not a dude. You're a dude. This, this is a man. A handsome, muscular man."

"I'm muscular."

"Who you kidding, Quill? You're one sandwich away from fat."

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266
    edited July 2021

I take that means a Camper killer.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

Waving your hands initially to show the killer is camping then you stop. If you see a survivor running towards you, you do it until the survivor stops and turns around. That is how it has always been and always will be. If you aren't being camped and you wave your hands, sucks to be you. There is no reason to wave your hands to get rescued. Everyone knows you're hooked. Waving your hands to get us to come faster isn't something you should do. It's a waste of time. Be patient and wait. If you know you're being insidious camped, give those hands a throw to warn us from a possible down.

• AshInTheTallGrass

That doesn't seem to be the consensus based on these comments. So many people are now playing DBD, some of varying years, so the meaning has changed and not everyone knows what it means anymore. It's not an intentional thing. It's just a product of time and change. And since it's not something that gets talked about in streams, videos, or forums, people don't know any differently. But we all know that there are plenty of times when you go into stage 2 simply because no one is coming, so I get and agree with people trying to signal that by using their arms. Having a teammate dead on hook, especially at the beginning of the game, hurts the entire team. It's one less body to loop, do gens, or stumble upon the hex totem. And sometimes waving your arms is the only reason you get saved because people believe it means "come get me."

• AVoiceOfReason
    edited July 2021

The initial use was and has always been the same. Just because someone down the line has chosen to make it different, doesn't mean the original isn't the true way. If someone is waving their arms, no one is going for them. Making obvious changes to something that is simple and easy to understand is detrimental and has caused many issues in the past 2 years to this game. Camped, wave your arms so no one continues to run towards you then stop. Waving your arms because YOU want to get unhooked without anyone knowing where the killer is, serves no purpose. People will come for you on the hook when you're halfway, someone else gets hit or they see the Entity Spikes move around. There is no reason to move your arms around just because you want someone to rescue you. Be patient and wait. You wave your arms, no one wants to run over there just to get hit on the way to the hook then traded by a camper when they can finish gens and get you before you die.

• AshInTheTallGrass

If that were true, there would be no reason why people go into stage 2.

I get what you're saying. You learned it meant one thing and you base your understanding of what's going on around it. It's understandable and there's nothing wrong with that. But what I am saying is, not through fault or anything nefarious, that meaning has been lost over time, especially to newer players (and I don't mean a few weeks. I've been playing for a couple of years and I asked a few buddies who have been playing for longer before posting this forum). So that's why this informal poll was done, to get a feel for what the community thinks, because that's important to know during a game. If someone wants to make it a point to get the meaning clarified, that's great. Some people think waving should mean camping but that fake "attempting" should mean no one is getting me. That's fine, too. But until that happens, there is going to be miscommunication and I think it's good to be aware of it.

• 0mikeya0
    0mikeya0 Member Posts: 220

When I do it, it means no one is coming for me

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

I've been here since day -14 (I think, game wasn't on steam yet) and played since day 194. All the youtubers I watched taught me that arm waving means "come save me ffs". So that's what I learnt.

I later found out this was wrong. I only do arm waving when I see someone hesitate coming to save me and I just try to signal exactly the "come save me ffs".

• Red_Beard
    Red_Beard Member Posts: 550

I started playing near the end of 2017. The general consensus then was waving your arms meant I'm being camped. Even then though, there was debate about it. But I'm stuck in my old ways mostly so this is what I mean when I do it.

Waving my arms repeatedly means killer is camping me or patrolling the hook.

Grabbing hold of the hook and letting go at the last second before unhook attempt means I'm ready to be unhooked, come and get me.

Attempting to unhook myself means you are crouch walking too me for no reason or healing right beside the hook when the killer isn't near so you better unhook me before I hit stage two because if I do I'm going to kill myself on the hook or if you get me before I die I will run straight to the killer and let him down me.

When it is someone else, I just ignore what they are doing and figure it out for myself. If the gen I am on is close to finished, I will finish the gen. If not, I will run over to the hook and use my eyes and ears to figure out what the killer is doing.

I also get a little salty sometimes when people try to unhook themselves in front of me when I am running up to unhook them. I have on occasion stood there and let them hit stage 2. Kobe at your own risk.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Yeah I was pretty surprised at how specific the answers for some people were. A lot of people use the speed of the arm waving or the extent of the arm motion (like grabbing the hook versus a full arm wave) to try to signal different things. It's no wonder there's confusion in solo queue.

• AshInTheTallGrass

I don't know that I would call it wrong (judging by the replies a lot of people think it means come save me). But it's just not standardized. We all mean different things. Some people are just bored, some are saying f u to the killer, others are signaling a camping or nearby killer, others want someone to get them, some are warning of traps. Hopefully you get teammates who get your meaning because if not, it could mean you die on hook or tick off a bunch of people who got off gens to save you and then got downed by an insidious camping bubba.

• AVoiceOfReason
    edited July 2021

People go into Stage 2 because they wave their arms when the killer isn't nearby, lack of info (meaning a survivor might think another survivor is already going for them), some don't want to get off of gens, they just don't care, won't unhook just because or for other reasons. I will never go towards someone waving their arms unless they're about to hit struggle and I'll just trade with BT since I rather give them a fair chance but I won't immediately get off of my gen if I see their hands waving. I always try to get someone off the hook but I won't rush to my own death.

• Gcarrara
    Gcarrara Member Posts: 2,263
    edited July 2021

As other have expressed, i use them continuosly and almost filling the whole bar to indicate when the Killer is camping.

I do it briefly once or twice to indicate that noone is coming and i could go into the second phase if someone doesn't start running towards me.

Of course you can never be sure it gets interpreted the right way 😅

• AshInTheTallGrass

Nope! Especially not after reading all these different interpretations! 😂

• VioletCrimes
    VioletCrimes Member Posts: 878

If a survivor is doing it constantly, I assume they’re just bored.

I do it as a “hey, the killer is actually right here, don’t grab me” signal, but I notice most survivors don’t adhere to that.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843
    edited August 2021

The way I do it is:

Long presses, like I'm going to try to escape but not actually filling the progress bar - no one is coming, someone needs to come

Quick repeated taps, not raising arms all the way, like my character is twitching or something - the killer is close, faster based on proximity

Rapid short presses in such a way that my arms are constantly flailing up and down without stopping - I'm about to ######### die and you left me hanging, or I'm bored with nothing better to do

• AshInTheTallGrass

I bet those people thought you were trying to say, "come get me." Especially when a killer is face camping it can be a two man job, so I wouldn't be surprised if it never occurred to them that you weren't asking for help, just warning them.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    edited August 2021

What does it mean when I point and crouch three times? That means Myers is there watch out. If I crouch four times it's Ghostface, two times it's Wraith and if I do nothing it's Pig because, it's only Pig.

Ok good so now I know every solo survivors knows what I'm trying to tell them 😀

There really should be more "if a survivors does this, it means that" for solos. Would be easy to have a system for telling the other person if you are pointing about a stealth killer, or where the hatch is or where I spotted a hex totem.

• stikyard
    stikyard Member Posts: 526

I do it when the Killer is nearby to signal that he is camping, also to make noise so the Killer might not hear nearby survivors.

• AshInTheTallGrass

That's new! Haven't heard anyone say they "attempt" to make noise to disguise survivor sounds. I wonder how that works on the killer's end (meaning, does it work). Cool idea.

• AshInTheTallGrass

A lot of these comments were people basically saying "it means the killer is camping so I'm not going to go get you off the hook." We really have so many different interpretations. No wonder people go into stage 2 when they're on the first hook.

• Dingo88
    Dingo88 Member Posts: 219

Even if the killer is camping me and my mate can usually get them of with big brain plays and little skill. But the majority of the time when Iv found them doing it the killer ain't been there

• AshInTheTallGrass
  • AshInTheTallGrass

Lol if you found a teammate who could understand all that you'd've struck gold

Yeah after reading how many different interpretations there are I think we should try to pick one and stick with it. I like some people's interpretations: fake attempting means "come get me." waving my arms means "killer is camping/nearby."

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,567

As an avid Kindred user, I can confidently say that it cannot be assigned any meaning at all. For the sole reason that it’s literally the only thing a hooked survivor can do.

If you assign any meaning to it, there’s just way too much potential for misinformation, to the point that you may as well check anyway.

They may be tabbed out when being facecamped, leaving them limp. They may be bored and spam it. They may be doing it in rhythm to the music they’re listening to. You simply don’t have any certainty. Then there’s also the matter of interpretation by others. What is considered quick? Do they even notice you doing it at all?

When you have big content creators who don’t even have a consistent meaning for themselves, let alone one agreed upon - and, more importantly, actually consistently used as such - by multiple content creators, you cannot expect the majority of players to know and express one single meaning.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,865

For the players who flail when they want someone to come get them, they need to stop when they actually see a fellow survivor on the way. So many times I have been pulled off a a gen and someone else was already going before me. Or I’d have a build with Bond and I see someone else get off their gen while I’m closer and already in route, because the entitled jerk on hook wants you to arrive quicker. Don’t even get me started on those who try to Kobe in front off you after pulling two people off gens. 🤬

That’s solo que’s biggest weakness- everyone leaving their gens to go for a save.

Very disappointed to hear ppl do this because they’re bored. It’s confusing and misinterpreted enough, without an unnecessary factor added to the mix. No disrespect to those who do, it’s just that excessive flailing really grinds my gears.

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

It originally meant that the killer is camping. Nowadays people don't seem to understand that, but I just treat it as if that's the case. If somebody's waving their arms, I just stick on the generator. Hopefully, people will learn the meaning of that movement eventually.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Exactly. There are so many meanings. Some people think it's totally meaningless, others are strongly in the "killer is camping" camp and the "come get me camp." And with big time streamers having different interpretations, there is no consistency. But I don't think a lot of the community realizes that. This chat thread has been very eye opening.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Agreed. It also runs the risk that the next time that person is hooked, they might die on stage 2 simply because the other survivors think "well someone is bound to get him so I'm not getting off my gen this time." Problem is everyone feels that way, so no one gets him. We just have too many different interpretations, it seems. No wonder solo queue is the way it is sometimes. We all think we understand what the other is saying and we don't.

• AshInTheTallGrass

I think it's mostly the OGers who think of it that way (they're outnumbered by the non-OG players) so it's not going to revert back to that meaning. The only way it would is if the bigger streamers started advocating for it consistently, and then that got reinforced in forum posts, comments, etc, so that it becomes the norm. But I do like the idea of a "come get me warning." Maybe like others suggested, there could be differences. Fake attempting (actually grabbing the hook) could mean "no one is getting me." And simply wiggling your arms at any speed you want could mean "the killer is nearby or camping."

• Moisette
    Moisette Member Posts: 127

I only wave my arms when the Killer is camping. If teammates continue to get closer, I start holding the button down like I'm going to attempt to jump off but stop shortly before the bar fills. As someone that only plays solo, that's all I think I can do xD;

The only other time is if I had a good chase and finally got downed and hooked, and it's like a "Yay! You got me! -flail-" or if the Killer slashes me on hook, I'll wave my arms like "Don't you slash me! -flail-" but it's only a couple times as soon as I'm hooked.

Other than those, I don't do anything but sit on the hook and wait.

• AshInTheTallGrass

It's funny you said that because some people said "no one is getting me" could be determined by if the survivor is "attempting." And that's what you do when survivors are coming and the killer is camping.

I've read probably every comment and all I've learned is, there is no consistency. But a lot of people share the same interpretation and it works for them (but consequently, those same people assume the exact opposite of the other players and then it doesn't work). No wonder people get mad that they're dying on hook, or that people got off gens to get them even though the killer was wasting time camping.

• Midori_21
    Midori_21 Member Posts: 723

I view that as the survivor practicing their arm thrusting exercises.

• Moisette
    Moisette Member Posts: 127

I understand what you mean and see why it can be confusing.

This game is extremely complicated, in my opinion. Some people say this and other people say that and it's very confusing. I'm someone that gets easily confused so the game can be a pain sometimes.

For me personally, when someone gets hooked and flails, I will sneak over and scout out the area before ever doing the save. Sometimes they're just saying "Please get me!" and sometimes they're saying "They're camping!"

• Amb104
    Amb104 Member Posts: 14

You're always going to be camped, so not really sure why you're asking, but lets say the camper is playing fair:

I would leave my arms hanging if someone is already coming for me, so the others can work on gens or whatever without rushing to me. If nobody is coming, then flail your arms until they fall out of their sockets.

• AshInTheTallGrass

I don't understand your first part, but the reason why the question was asked was because I wanted to hear how the community interpreted arm waving on the hook. And it turns out, there are a lot of different interpretations, often contradictory. And therefore, many people aren't aware that their intended meaning isn't getting received by the other survivors.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Since the meaning isn't universal, that's probably the best you can do.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

Means the killer is camping....that being said....as a killer when I see you doing it and I'm like....100 meters away...you look ridiculous.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Because of these replies, I'm guessing it either means "I'm bored" or "No one is coming to get me" when you see it.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

I mean...you only really get 1 opportunity to signal down your friends if the killer is camping, and thats before final hook stages. If you waste the opportunity to tell people something is up by frantically waving during a REAL CAMP, you can end up having your whole team killed by a basement bubba... <---- Little known fact, was used when bubba insidious builds first started. You can't hear his terror radius with insideous so signaling was a good way to prevent trains of idiots from walking into the basement when you're in solo queue. Before Kindred was actually worth anything.