Overcharge Buff Idea

No_Mither_No_Problem
No_Mither_No_Problem Member Posts: 1,476
edited December 2018 in General Discussions

A lot of people like to argue that Overcharge is a very good perk.

A lot of people also have the reflexes of a high school white girl on her phone.

The fact of the matter is, if you can consistently hit Great Skill Checks, then you can consistently hit Overcharge Skill Checks. They are not that hard, and if you think otherwise, it's a simple matter of git gud. Besides, the punishment for failing an Overcharge Skill Check isn't all that harsh. Between the original fail regression on top of the added Overcharge regression, the penalty can be erased in about 10 seconds or less—even without toolboxes, Perks, or another Survivor to help you.

Because of this, I propose a buff to Overcharge to make it actually usable at high ranks.

Overcharge
Overcharge a generator by performing the break generator action. An Overcharged generator regresses 30/40/50% faster and the next Survivor to initiate repairs on that generator will be faced with a moderately/considerably/tremendously difficult Skill Check. If they fail the Skill Check, the Killer is notified and the generator will continue to regress for 5/10/15 seconds, during which it cannot be repaired.

Comments

• thekiller490490
    thekiller490490 Member Posts: 1,164
    I think the first extra regression along with the skill check is fine. The extra regression is a bit much.
  • Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

I have discussed this in another thread long time ago and it made sense.

Some perks are just for newbies. Unrelenting, overcharge etc. If you look at unrelenting, it is a terrible perk since all it does is to reduce the consequences of your mistake. You don't need that in high ranks but it is quite useful in low ranks just like overcharge.

Pop goes the weasel is your only alternative. You need to put a lot of effort before that but the result is nice.

• MrMyers
    MrMyers Member Posts: 43

@No_Mither_No_Problem said:

A lot of people also have the reflexes of a high school white girl on her phone.

Closing the page.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

I saw this idea somewhere else as well and I think it's a good one. The initial kick doesn't really get a good chunk of change out of the Gen but a faster regression would hit really hard, maybe add this and the normal explosion as well. Or maybe have a delayed skill check noise like Huntress Lullaby has.

• Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

I only use Overcharge on my Doc build, because regular Overcharge checks are still to easy.
    Only if you pair it up with Unnerving presence and madness it gets really good.
    So to me it is just a niche perk for certain killer, which is sad, because so the game lacks build diversity.

• No_Mither_No_Problem
    MrMyers said:

Closing the page.

Do you have the reflexes of a high school white girl on her phone?

ARE you a high school white girl on her phone?
  • SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

This seems like it'd be pretty good. It'd make the perk work even better with Doctor. I run BBQ, Distressing, Unnerving, and Overcharge, so I'm getting excited just thinking about a change like this.

@Delfador said:
    I have discussed this in another thread long time ago and it made sense.

Some perks are just for newbies. Unrelenting, overcharge etc. If you look at unrelenting, it is a terrible perk since all it does is to reduce the consequences of your mistake. You don't need that in high ranks but it is quite useful in low ranks just like overcharge.

Pop goes the weasel is your only alternative. You need to put a lot of effort before that but the result is nice.

I've seen Tru3 use Unrelenting with the purpose of messing with loops, which makes me think it can do good, but I haven't tried it at all yet.

Overcharge can take Survivors by surprise, but this gets harder to do as you climb the ranks. The only way to keep it effective at higher ranks to use it with Doctor and Unnerving. The Unnerving+Overcharge skill check is extremely difficult to hit and Doctor's Madness only makes it harder. On console, Overcharge is better because of the frames (Unnerving+Overcharge is supposedly impossible to hit on consoles).

Pop Goes The Weasel is too situational on any Killer that doesn't have high mobility (so basically Nurse, Billy, and Spirit). You have to hope that you can find a gen nearby that hasn't been kicked or has been worked on. If you can't, then PGTW becomes useless.

• Larcz
    Larcz Member Posts: 531
    Overcharg is one time use perk.Surv got on this only 2 time next time he know what to expect .
  • Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383
    edited December 2018

So buff 3 gen strat Doktah even more ;-;

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

The fact of the matter is, if you can consistently hit Great Skill Checks, then you can consistently hit Overcharge Skill Checks. They are not that hard, and if you think otherwise, it's a simple matter of git gud. Besides, the punishment for failing an Overcharge Skill Check isn't all that harsh. Between the original fail regression on top of the added Overcharge regression, the penalty can be erased in about 10 seconds or less—even without toolboxes, Perks, or another Survivor to help you.

Because of this, I propose a buff to Overcharge to make it actually usable at high ranks.

Overcharge
    Overcharge a generator by performing the break generator action. An Overcharged generator regresses 30/40/50% faster and the next Survivor to initiate repairs on that generator will be faced with a moderately/considerably/tremendously difficult Skill Check. If they fail the Skill Check, the Killer is notified and the generator will continue to regress for 5/10/15 seconds, during which it cannot be repaired.

While I like the idea in general, it would make the 3-gen situation really annoying^^

• No_Mither_No_Problem
    edited December 2018

@Master said:

Overcharge

While I like the idea in general, it would make the 3-gen situation really annoying^^

3-genning can be avoided by simply finding one gen and then repairing all the gens close to it.

• Tru3Lemon
    Tru3Lemon Member Posts: 1,358

overcharge with unnerving pressence its just too powerful and you want to buff more? wow

• No_Mither_No_Problem

@Tru3Lemon said:
    overcharge with unnerving pressence its just too powerful and you want to buff more? wow

It’s not that powerful. If you can hit great skill checks, you can hit Unnerving Overcharge skill checks.

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985
    I think overcharge is fine, it’s very affective against rank 20-12 survivors
  • Tru3Lemon
    Tru3Lemon Member Posts: 1,358

@Tru3Lemon said:

It’s not that powerful. If you can hit great skill checks, you can hit Unnerving Overcharge skill checks.

it is if you play against a good doctor that have distressing, unnerving pressence, ruin, overcharge with good addons also it is fine its just ppl are too good with skillchecks