Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Giving hatch is BM?

Lenox
Lenox Member Posts: 234

I have almost 500 hours in this game. I've never heard this before until today. Usually I'm thanked post-game for giving the last survivor the hatch. Or at least there's cool banter.

Today, the person sat in front of the hatch and didn't take it. I thought they AFK'd. But they didn't. In post-game chat, they called me a jerk and said giving the hatch was BM. What?

I was a Hag with Iron Grasp, Sloppy Butcher, Hex: Thrill of the Hunt, and Hex: Devour Hope. Nothing crazy, setup-wise.

Answers

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,474

Don't listen to them, they are talking bad about you for doing something nice if they didn't like it thats on them but don't let it sour you for being nice to others that might appreciate the kindness.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

I've given someone hatch since one person dc'd due to their own rage, but then they proceeded to talk crap with their friends for 2 minutes.

Sometimes, you truly are just an enemy to the survivor.

• Dacrenon
    Dacrenon Member Posts: 207

The only thing I can think of is sometimes there's a bug where a downed survivor can't get the 'escape through hatch' prompt because it keeps getting overridden by 'recover', but otherwise no, there's no reason for them to think you're BMing

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109

your mistake was giving survivors hatch

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Everything you do or don't do, is BM in Dead by Daylight. You didn't knew? Welcome to the community

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Depends how you play the rest of the game.

I also did not take the Hatch once, the Killer was playing like a total Jerk and acting nice at the end. So I was like "Nah, just kill me".

• Lenox

Yes @ doubt. I'm a survivor main who really only started playing killer during the 5th Year Anniversary event, because the juicy cakes made it so I could actually afford to build out both sides. But I'm always looking for more knowledge. So, thanks.

It was pretty close to the hatch. I have a screenshot, but didn't post here because I think it's against the rules. Then they crawled away into a corner where it looked like they were underneath furniture (glitch?) and I brought them back in front of the hatch. What I usually like to do is pick them up so they can get wiggle-out points. But they didn't even wiggle.

Very interesting. Never heard of this and I don't think this was the case, but I'll keep it in the back of my mind. I suppose it's possible they thought I bugged them out?

Nah, if I'm doing a "destroy 12 generators" challenge, I don't need the 4K. Might as well spread the bloodpoints around. I already had a lot of points from the match. I'm good with 3Ks.

I don't face camp, proxy camp, and I anti-tunnel (purposefully chase survivor who was not hooked last). It was a pretty clean game.

In your game, what did the killer do that you found to be jerk actions?

• Lenox

Thanks to all of those that I didn't quote. Your comments are helpful.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261

It's a new rule...i guess.

• Aven_Fallen

It was a Iri Head Huntress (before the Nerf). Slugged me, then another guy, without any intention to pick us up. In the end, she slugged all of us, I was the last one to be picked up (yes, it was a very fast game) and she wanted to give me Hatch. But I was too pissed off from this game.

But, if you played fair and square, the Survivor was just salty. Happens.

• Lenox
    edited August 2021

Ah, OK. Thanks. I hate when killers just slug to let the whole team bleed out. I don't understand why people do that. I don't even think it counts as a sacrifice. Sucks they did that to you.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Something else in the match triggered them? Otherwise I have no idea. Oh, or it was @LordTony in disguise 🧐

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Who cares what that one person thinks. If someone refuses to take hatch, just hook them? I have never had that happen to be fair. Survivors view their priority over hatch as one of the biggest influences of skill expression. Most of them LOVE it.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    edited August 2021

Well if they refused to leave just hook them. No need to wait longer than 10 seconds.

And they are probably ashamed or something but they could have left too.

Pointless.

• DerpyPlayz
    DerpyPlayz Member Posts: 583

No its not, granted I would rather DC then have someone give me hatch though tbh.

• Lenox

I care because I want to make sure I'm not doing something toxic, since I often let 1 person go. But this thread has confirmed that I'm good.

I ended up hooking them. If a full bleed-out is 240 seconds, the screenshot I have has them almost near that. So, I guess I waited 2-3 minutes. Strange stuff.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

It is not toxic at all.

Toxic would be pretending to give a hatch then close it. That is why I never crawl to the hatch if the killer drops me anywhere where he can pick me up before i leave.

I had a streamer messaging me once why I didn't accept and admiting they wanted to trick me for their audience lol.

• Equus
    Equus Member Posts: 324

It's a nice thing to do; don't let these kind of players tell you it's not. I've had someone not take hatch (and dying to endgame collapse) because they didn't want to do what I wanted them to do.... The entitlement of it was hilarious; I was wondering why I had so much time to break pallets after I dropped him off at the hatch... You can't please them all; I still give hatch to others.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

People are how they are, just ignore it.

Btw only me who thinks it's harder to enter hatch from dying state now? Yesterday a killer gave me hatch..and I tried to enter for 15 seconds but only got the "recover" over and over, it's the same button on Xbox at least. The killer thought I did not want to leave I guess so he hooked me 😐️

• Lenox

Wow! Lol. That's some stuff!

Sometimes when i close the hatch as they're getting close to it or w/e, I will give them the exit gate. But not in purposeful stuff like what you describe. Haha.

• Aven_Fallen

Oh, she wanted to hook everyone of us, I also did not wiggle when she wanted to hook me. Maybe she felt sorry or whatever. But eh, not really an enjoyable experience overall.

• Lenox
    edited August 2021

Oh, OK. Maybe a slugging build or challenge or something. I'm not good enough, even with Deerstalker, to keep track of more than two on the ground. So I typically don't do fancy stuff like that. I down one, hook, then chase.

Woa. That's what someone mentioned earlier in this thread. Scroll up! I think we've spotted a bug.

LMAO. This is kind of what happened to me. After leaving them next to the hatch, I walked away to break pallet doors. Came back to the hatch, and didn't see them. Found them in some other room in the corner crying. So I brought them back to the hatch. Dafuq.

Cool, thanks. Why do you prefer this? And why D/C over AFKing and bleeding out? At least that way your account will be OK.

The shame stuff is too deep for this game. Lol. But thanks.

• DerpyPlayz

Cool, thanks. Why do you prefer this? And why D/C over AFKing and bleeding out? At least that way your account will be OK.

I see it as a insult to injury, like the killer after winning is like "Pfft, you are too pathetic for me to even kill because I feel bad for you, take this escape you noob, as that is the only time you are even going to escape you [BAD WORD] [BAD WORD] [BAD WORD]".

Of course, I realize most killers are just tryina be nice, just doesn't feel that way. Since I personally only let the weak links in easy games go, or the advanced players go during a game in which it was easy.

• Lenox

That's an interesting way to think of it and could be true for some killers. All killers are different an no one reason for giving the hatch will be true for everyone. However, I have primarily seen hatches given to good loopers, who the killer feels was let down by their team. I myself don't coordinate it that way, because that takes a lot of work to purposefully force that outcome. But sometimes the last person standing is in fact that good looper.

Another way to think about it is that you taking the hatch helps the killer out. A 4K probably increases killer MMR more than a 3K does. So perhaps the killer will get more balanced survivor matches afterwards. Whereas with a 4K, they might get a huge MMR boost and thrown into a few too-difficult matches.

Dunno. Just theorizing. I think you should take the hatch next time. Sometimes it's just a chill offer.

• DerpyPlayz

However, I have primarily seen hatches given to good loopers, who the killer feels was let down by their team.

That is what I meant to say by "Advanced players". Sorry, I am recovering from a hangover and a high. XD

I myself don't coordinate it that way, because that takes a lot of work to purposefully force that outcome. But sometimes the last person standing is in fact that good looper.

I suppose it just depends on the team tbh, if they make gens fly yhea its hell on earth basically. I rarely ever make it a priority though to let someone escape, like another non-SFW action, it just happens in the heat of the moment.

Dunno. Just theorizing. I think you should take the hatch next time. Sometimes it's just a chill offer.

Even when it is, I would rather just get to the next game as dying can be faster then hatch, and lastly I don't wanna escape if I didn't actually escape myself. Defeats the point of escaping, right?

Imagine playing any game, and every game you just won. You didn't do anything to win, you just win. It wouldn't be fun. Least not for me.

• SirGando
    SirGando Member Posts: 374

playing killer is BM, didnt you know?

• Lenox
    edited August 2021

Your answers make a lot of sense. I like it. Don't win unless you earned it. And I get what you mean by advanced players now.

Lol @ high/hungover. Surprised BHVR forums allow those words, since they block silly things.

• tennmio
    tennmio Member Posts: 354

Yeah, if the killer harcore tunneled and proxy camped the first person nmw or even everyone, I'll refuse to take the hatch. I've had that multiple times and I usually refused to take the hatch unless the killers behaviour was a reaction to toxic survivor behaviour. It would feel like a betrayal to the others and to my own moral expectations.

And if I get dropped nearby the hatch, I might not try to crawl to it, if I it suits the way they behaved in game. I expect the killer to be sadistic and shut it.

• ImBrakingBike
    ImBrakingBike Member Posts: 454

This. Exactly. You can't judge people by just ONE action and knowing only one of the sides. I'm not saying OP was toxic or anything but it's interesting to see so many answers automatically assuming OP was the good guy with the best intentions and the other part was someone being a jerk. People usually have different interpretations of what everything means in this game due to the lack of communication in-game. I've seen survivors honestly say they sometimes wait by the exit gate to give the killer "a hit to get BPs" and also killers say they'd rather not take it because it's out of pity.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

The reason I have heard from people:

"I do not want a pity win".

It's the kind of people that consider a death a loss, and an escape a win, regardless of the outcome of the match as a whole. They are also the kind of people who hardcore tunnel and camp, because killing any survivor means you won against that survivor(even though the 1v1 in this game is clearly killer sided, that's like 4 tournament survivors all escaping from a low tier killer who got 9 hooks and being like "we won" even though they would have lost the match if it were a tournament).

They simply cannot be reasoned with. Personally, I'd just go AFK and let them bleed out if they refuse to escape. If they dont want the hatch after I have given it to them, they gotta earn their defeat.

• Predated
    edited August 2021

I mean, thing is, you're the last survivor in the trial, the 1v1 in this game is heavily killer sided. I dont ever get the view how it could feel like the killer thinks you're too pathetic to kill. It tends to be quicker to just leave you slugged and bleed you out while the EGC timer goes down so they can go AFK while you die. They are literally in a position where the only chance you escape, is if you happen to reach the hatch faster than the killer does. Which, if the killer knows where the hatch is, is impossible and otherwise is heavy RNG. Meaning your chances of survival are extremely luck based at that point. Would you rather have a escape based on pure luck, or a killer admitting defeat?

I'd personally see it more as "if your teammates were better, you would probably have escaped, I admit my defeat".

I dont ever give the escape to a weak link, because if the weak link hasnt died by that point, they must have been hiding all game, or I've been purposely not killing them so I could get more hooks before finally killing the first person. The only time a weak link escapes through hatch, is if that weak link has been my favourite survivor that match.

Why would I ever give a terrible player the hatch, unless they've made the game awesome in an unexpected way?

• Aven_Fallen

Yeah, I also did not mean to say that OP might have been toxic during the game. The vast majority of players on both sides is pretty nice, from my experience.

I just wanted to bring a point why a Survivor might not want to take the Hatch. And saying it like @tennmio "It would feel like a betrayel" if you are the one getting away why the rest had to suffer the whole game is probably the best way to describe it.

• Anghroth
    Anghroth Member Posts: 40

You have made one mistake and it's THE most important mistake any killer player could ever make: you actually cared about what a survivor player said!

Don't do that. Play to your liking and ignore all the entitled little crybabies!

• Lenox

I wish I knew what they found objectionable. Maybe I should have friended them and asked.

Exactly. I don't really view most outcomes in this game as winning or losing. TBH, I mostly care about my bloodpoint award. If I get a 4K and 40K bloodpoints, I view that as worse than a 2K with 60K points. I just want my points so I can progress through more bloodwebs and create more interesting survivor and killer builds.

You make good points. Early on in my killer days, I spent a couple of matches looking for the hatch in order to give it to the survivor. Either this took long because I couldn't find it or because they survivor wouldn't follow me through it. Because of that, I usually will give the hatch to whoever if it's quick, so I can end the match and move on. Instead of playing hide-and-go-seek for 10 minutes.

No, I got you. My friend had actually mentioned something similar to me months ago. Your stating it made me remember what he said about betraying the rest of the team by taking the hatch. The thing is that the post-game chat from this person is what makes me believe that they were angry with me about something. Also, maybe something about my play was toxic. IDK. Maybe they really hate Hex: Devour Hope at 3 tokens?

Lol. I like to understand both sides so that I can improve my play and stuff. It's more fun that way. Also, I've friended some killers due to post-game chat when I'm survivor. I've also friended some survivors due to post-game chat as a killer.

• Predated

because I was replying to you, everything I said was in reply to you.

• DerpyPlayz

Duh, the concern is because I didn't ask you anything? I am confused why you are saying this to me?

• Rougual
    Rougual Member Posts: 526

Beat a team as twins when going for the Adept but 2 of the swf ttv squad dc'd so I decided ill just give the streamer hatch for not disconnecting.

They were actually insulting me the whole time and reporting me for playing as a Killer.

He noticed I was trying to be nice and they made the insults worse.

I had time so I waited thinking he was afk but didn't know they were just mass reporting me.

Never knew till I tuned in to watch the vod later that night, my account was flagged from mass witch hunt reports the next day.

• Predated

So? This is a thread, you're replying on a forum, it doesnt matter who you asked, you joined a thread and people can reply to your thread.

If you dont want people replying to your comment, then dont be commenting on a forum.

• DerpyPlayz

Lmao, you just don't understand what you are saying isn't relevant to my points. So it makes no sense to reply to me.