The recent mmr test made me appreciate ranking...

Katie_met
Katie_met Member Posts: 422
edited August 2021 in General Discussions

Now I don't like the ranking system, it's too easy to get red ranks and I, someone with 150 days on the game, often get put with players who have 5 days on the game, use urban evasion and drop every pallet because they don't understand looping, obviously because they have 5 days.

But with the recent mmr, I was still getting 'inexperienced' teammates, but kept getting hardcore Blight players. I would go up against Blight with ruin, undying, tinkerer and bbq every game, and often using the addons Alchemist's ring and blighted crow. It was painfully repetitive.

Once mmr was deactivated I got a really nice variety of killers. I've actually seen quite a few pigs recently which is a rarity (lots of snoot boops were given), and while I still keep seeing Blights, at least I'm not getting him (what feels like) every single game.

If mmr is just going to be Blight back to back, with the same build, then I'd rather the current unreliable ranking system.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Edit: I'm not criticising the build, obviously it works well on him, it's just repetitive going against Blight over and over with the exact same build.

Comments

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

I wish I was getting Blight every game when I played survivor, tbh.

That said, getting ultra sweat killers when your teammates aren't correctly placed is exactly how the matchmaking already works, but exacerbated somehow lol. I don't want the new system; I've been against it all along, because it just amplifies the toxic feelings you get from frustrating games.

• Katie_met

I think mmr just makes the game super competitive. I play survivor and chill out and listen to some music and drink beer, so I'm not prepared to go against top tier Blights. The current poor matchmaking, as painful as some games can be, really fuels the asymmetry of the game. I think they either need to add more ranks, or they need to change they way emblems work.

I also think that someone shouldn't be able to get to a certain rank unless they're a certain devotion level or have played a certain amount of games. I know it might be unfair because if someone is able to get to red ranks then there's no harm, but it would be a good way to ensure people are experienced and understand the game before playing at red ranks.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,956

my experience with MMR was better than the current messy RBMM

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

I didn't play much when the recent MM change was going on, it was kind of a short window and I was pretty busy. I played maybe 6 hours' worth? In that time though, I have to admit that any changes generally felt positive. All of the matches were close in a way that didn't feel rushed or sweaty, but rather more or less evenly skilled, relatively back and forth. There were a few exceptions but for the most part (and this could very well be placebo effect, I don't know) it seemed as the games were pleasantly balanced and not matches of two halves where everything was fine until 2 or 3 gens were done and suddenly everything started to flip. I also got a good balance of killers, not many repeated ones at all (though I still didn't see killers that I already rarely see).

I don't know. I'd need more time to test it but I felt more chill, at ease, playing to have fun and not being forced to play to win. I don't yet know if I'll feel a return to form or notice a difference again the next time I play.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

I guess I'm 6th on agree it's much better.

Was getting red rank 1 Nurse who could blink on top of a dime and would slug my entire team within a minute. Not fun.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,410
    edited August 2021

My matches were also mostly Blight and Nurse with tournament builds. I usually had good teammates (or hackers) but I didn't care. The matches were completely boring. Usually less than 5 minutes, killer would try to tunnel one survivor before his ruin/undying totems were found. Otherwise we would all escape and no one would get more than 20k points.

I'd rather have occasionally bad teammates than go against the same killers every match in a never ending sweatfest.

• AJStyIez
    AJStyIez Member Posts: 419

I feel like most of the people who claim they had a positive experience during the recent test only feel that way because as survivor they had killers who were good enough to get the easy hits/hooks but not good enough to 4K slug them at 4-3 gens left & as Killer they probably enjoyed getting more frequent inexperienced survivors that fall for easy tricks like moonwalking every single time.

Im not trying to insult anybody because I don’t have the highest MMR in the world myself, I just feel more people are saying it’s a good system solely because their matches were easier aka “more fun” rather than because they really believe the system is healthier for the game and better compliments the emblem system. Of course it’s a positive experience when you’re playing with your usual rank 1-3 buddies with 1k+ hours each going against a rank 11 huntress that doesn’t have the perks they want/needs yet. “But that’s how the current system works too” - Exactly, thats why I don’t get the hype for these recent testing periods. On paper it sounds like a great idea, but the way the emblem system currently works and the lack of context for a binary system like sbmm doesn’t work in an unbalanced game that largely relies on RNG

• AgentTalon
    AgentTalon Member Posts: 331

This is my take as well. Less casual games in general but far fewer potato teammates that basically made for a wasted game.

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

MMR made me play less, it was a blight after nurse after spirit, repeat. I don't think I've seen any different killer for the entire test

• adirgeforthedead
    adirgeforthedead Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2021

Personally, I feel SBMM is the right direction the game should go. I don't play DBD in a "competitive" level and just want to get matches where I get to play and enjoy the game and that's exactly what SBMM gave me. I got competent teammates as Survivor and we matched against Killers around the same level of skill who made the matches entertaining, I'd sometimes escape, I'd sometimes die, but overall I got to actually play and do something in the matches rather than be slugged within 30 seconds and spent the whole match admiring the floor tiles or be tunnelled right off the hook. As Killer, I got mildly organised teams of Survivors who matched my level (I'm not super skilled as Killer, but I'm not a potato) and the matches were entertaining -- sometimes, I'd get one or two Kills, others I'd get the four of them. The matches felt dynamic and I can see I hadn't enjoyed Killer as much as I did during SBMM.

Most complaints I'm seeing are from people who want to get the four kills in every match, saying they get nothing but sweat squads and I can't help, but think that's what you should be getting if you play like that...

Post edited by adirgeforthedead on
  • WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184
    edited August 2021

But in time those players that completely stomp the competition will eventually reach that 4 man slug killer (and likewise for killers that endlessly 4k).

My games as survivor more often ended in 2 escape and 2 dead, and what I liked about it didn't have anything to do with the killer specifically. What I liked about it was if i was tunneled, if I was camped my teammates actually punished it instead of rewarding it. And because of that, I didn't mind dying because i felt like I actually did something.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,180
    edited August 2021

MMR was a vast improvement on the current system, from my experience as both killer and survivor. Now the MMR has been taken off, it doesn't feel quite right and certainly not the same caliber of games.

It's been mentioned before, but since MMR is based on data acquired largely from the uneven ranking system, many may have seen sudden spikes, whether it becomes too hard or too easy. But it would be a reflection on the individuals actual results in whatever skills they're being based on, and so someone who constantly got easy opponents may be seen as being highly skilled, and ultimately seen a hard shift in the level of play they may actually not be good at, compared to their rivals.

On a somewhat sadistic note, I'm hoping the deliberate derankers got a shock to the system!

• ImBrakingBike
    ImBrakingBike Member Posts: 454

It was great for me as a solo Q survivor because I got matched to similar survivors and a killer at our level, the matches felt like they could go to either side and it was fun. Now we're back to normal and I get red rank killers that will just destroy everyone in under 10 min

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

my matches as killer werebetter with SBMM, and I was able to reach and hold Rank 1 much easier than before. I don't know what that means but that's how it went for me.

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380

I absoloutely hated it every time i played killer, but it really made my survivor experience a lot better. As much as i hate admitting it i do kind of what MMR back. I hadn't had that much fun playing survivor in years.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419
    edited August 2021

MMR started giving me only 4-man SWFs with meta perks and I got absolutely sick of it after a few days.

• Katie_met

No, time does not equate to skill but it does equate to knowledge. I know that urban evasioning around the map and wasting the pallets is bad for the team, I don't expect people with 5 days to know that

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

That's not why it was a positive experience for me. I went against good killers, better than what I usually go against, but what really made the difference was drastically better teammates.

• PigEmpress
    PigEmpress Member Posts: 79

Best games I've had in months was while SBMM was active. Both as killer and as survivor.