The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What is tunneling?

I thought not letting survivors escape is the point of the game...

Comments

• Skylus
    Skylus Member Posts: 59

I mean if you keep going back for the injured guy right when they get unhooked, giving them no time to do anything else fun in the game but die because you said so...

• lordfart
    lordfart Member Posts: 538

Well when you run into the last person who was hooked by accident and no one else is around I don't consider that tunneling, that's just bad luck. But if you're purposefully ignoring the other survivors to chase down the person who was just unhooking, that's a bit tunnel-y. I've done it a couple of times, usually in anger at a specific survivor who has t bagged me after stunning or something, their teammates try and take chase but I'd literally ignore them to murder that one person. That's tunneling IMO

• lordfart

I've also been on the receiving end, like stun the killer a couple of time with a head on and they stip at nothing to make me die lol

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

Definition of tunelling:going for same person over and over while ignoring others completely

Tunelling users:people with no balls

Counter play:delete the game

I hope this helped

• MrDrMedicman
    MrDrMedicman Member Posts: 303

it's really just rude. with que times being what they are, then a player just watching a 2min death screen with nothing to do, missing out on points

yeah you should kill them, but maybe instead of rehooking the same guy, you just put pressure on the team by slugging them. they still don't help their team, and still need help, but now you're also chasing someone else and applying pressure there too

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

The smart thing to survive is also just playing 4men swf, everyone with a brandnew part and just meta perks, but that would be unfun wouldn't it?

• ausanimal
    ausanimal Member Posts: 542

If a killer is nice enough to do that to give them a chance to play the game, would survivors do the same thing if gens are going to fast and the killer is having trouble hooking anyone would they stop doing gens and let the killer hook people to let them have fun and play the game or do the gens and get out?

• MrDrMedicman
    MrDrMedicman Member Posts: 303
    edited August 2021

It's not being nice. it's the correct tactical descision. he is still down, but now you're hurting someone else too

you really think survs are nice enough to sit around while you down them one at a time? with one down, another being chased, you've slowed them down by at least 3/4ths if not more on gen progress. you downing one guy has taken at least 3 off gens as you push another

edit: part of the reason survivors turn so blindingly hostile to killers is because of tunneling, be the change you want to see man

• Marskan
    Marskan Member Posts: 23

Tunneling isn't the problem for most of the time, unsafe saves is.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

if you go straight for an unhooked survivor despite there being someone else visible, that's tunneling to me. if they run into you with bt or just throw, or if their teammates just immerse immediate after unhooking, that's different but yeah. your objective is to kill survivors, and tunneling is a valid strategy, it's just not fun for the survivor at all, so i don't think it's unreasonable for them to be annoyed by it.

• "Tunelling" is survivors begging for mercy

• SirGando
    SirGando Member Posts: 374

You are not wrong. Dont listen to survivors. Just play the game.

• FentV1rus
    FentV1rus Member Posts: 112
    edited August 2021

Tunneling is forcing yourself on one survivor to eliminate them immediately from the game. This DOES make it unfun for that survivor, but it's a a part of the game and they should be prepared for it.

Despite that, just ignore people who say you tunneled. Chances are they just died first and felt they were tunneled. Nine times out of ten, the reason this happens is because of bad plays on their part by staying near you, or one of their teammates creating an easy opportunity for you. I was accused of tunneling by a surv the other day, and here is how the match went: 4 individual downs, and at one point all 4 survivors had bear traps on their heads, then two more downs occurred before I got my first death hook. 10 minutes had probably elapsed in the game before this person died, but I still "tunneled them".

Moral of all this, just go about your business and ignore other people who complain. They are not worth your time.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

I've been called a tunneler for simply hitting a survivor. I stopped caring about other people's opinions.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

Tunneling is the result of a survivor failing or neglecting to safely protect an unhook.

Simply bringing borrowed doesn't count.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,277

Nah. Three BNPs, a blueprint, and a key.

Come to think of it, perhaps keys are the survivor answer to tunnelling and camping!

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

But some people on these forums will say keys are toxic, but tunneling and camping are a strategy.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,277

It's only a strategy if it benefits the killer. If it benefits the survivors, it's toxic, a 'second chance', or broken.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,692

Some of the replies in this thread are hilarious and really, really show an issue with the mentality of certain players.

• Laendra
    Laendra Member Posts: 84

That's justifiable tunneling, IMHO. I'll do it too against toxic players...ignoring anyone else who gets in my way...and I'll make it my personal mission to make sure they die and let everyone else go unscathed (assuming only 1 toxic player...but let's get real, that is rare...it's usually SWFs full of toxic players). I'll even down everyone else, and carry them to the door and open it and let them crawl out unhooked.

The reason I try not to be toxic as a killer by tunneling and camping, is because it happens too many times to me as survivor...so I change over to killer and just have fun chases...sometimes farm 2 hooks each...but even when I just enjoy the chases without hooks I get yelled at sometimes for not trying to kill them. You're just damned if you do and damned if you don't sometimes.

• ausanimal
    ausanimal Member Posts: 542

The right choice is to hook him again and get someone out off the match as fast as you can to lvl the playing field, is it the killers fault if someone does a unsafe hook in front off there face just seconds after you hook them with no BT or unhook you and run off leaving you there to be found by the killer.

The amount of times i have seen survivors do unsafe hooks then expect me to give them a free pass cause of there teammate's bad choice, and for the record i play more fair then i should unless the team or a player forces me not to, i get my 4 stacks off bbq then just slug if i catch them and just have fun. Only a few times i have seen survivors slow down if its a killer i haven't used much otherwise its get gens done and get out.

It goes both ways survivors want killers to not tunnel but the speed off gens and how fast survivors can get them done can force killers to tunnel, it's a two way street and the problem can only be solved by BHVR if all the killers agree not to tunnel for a week i can bet anything survivors will not be nice to killers in that same week.

The perfect example is moris they got nerfed to hell and survivors know keys are getting nerfed at somepoint so what do they do bring one in if not more, plus a map and a hatch offering.

• tennmio
    tennmio Member Posts: 354
    edited August 2021

There is no definition of tunneling. Just choose any of the stated or find the one you feel suits the matter the most.

• lordfart

Aaaahhh yeah this makes me glad I'm on console with no chat, I never have to hear from anyone how mad they are at the end of the game XD