The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What percentage of the dbd community is gay? Genuine question

2»

Comments

• VioletCrimes
    VioletCrimes Member Posts: 878

I’m pan and trans so count me in too.

• MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053

let me take my calculator out rq hol up

• VioletCrimes
    VioletCrimes Member Posts: 878

Just my theory: for decades or possibly even centuries, villains were queer-coded or outright gay or trans to make them more “distasteful”. So a lot of us are drawn to those kind of characters because that’s the only way we saw ourselves reflected in the media for a long time.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

Idk how you could possible discern even that, tbh. There's literally no way of knowing this without an official poll by the devs.

• Magicmaster0702
    Magicmaster0702 Member Posts: 217

Screw it I guess. I'm not trying to make fun of peoples sexuality when I say that. I'm just saying that it's not really my business who or what you love.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

I'm not gay, but I am LGBT. Get the hint?

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851

I have it on the new Feng outfit for two reasons: goes well with it & to show support for LGBQT+

NGL at first I thought it was “exclusive” to that community and only people who used that flag in video games, meant they were a part of that community. But after I cured my ignorance and realized that’s not always the case and straight ppl can use it to show support, I threw it on.

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638

A big part, I’m sure.

I’m bi, but I only wear the flag on characters I have headcanons for being LGBT+ or deeply supportive of it.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

observation might not wield concrete numbers, but you can see how much more outspoken etc lgbtq+ folks are here compared to other big titles

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,120

Judging by fanart, I would say the number is more sizeable than in most other games. Not quite as much gay fanart as The Magnus Archives, but definitely a lot. Plus BHVR are very welcoming and open in their support of the LGBTQ+ community.

I'm straight, and have used the Pride charm on occassion within the game. It was a shame to see a very minor few players targetting people because of the Pride charm, but I'm assuming those who sent anti-gay messages and reported would have been swiftly dealt with.

• Jeromy137
    Jeromy137 Member Posts: 348

Bi (mostly gay) and happy to see support

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I wear the charm to support.

• lordfart
    lordfart Member Posts: 538

I'm trans but don't use it because I'm not proud lol

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419

Home Of Sexuals haven't existed since the Homeowner's Association of Orange County purged them

• Artemis5
    Artemis5 Member Posts: 49

I can only speak for myself and the reason I put it on my surv main and killer main - I am an ally with loads of gay friends even through I'm straight myself. So I'm always an LGBT+ friendly player that doesn't mind putting anything LGBT+ related on my characters as I want to show support for their community. Plus it's a cool charm, so nice and colourful 🤩

Don't know the percentage of LGBT+ players of DBD and I've never been interested in knowing that as it doesn't actually matter to me (as the fact that someone may have a different sexual orientation or gender identity and love other people that I, a cis straight woman would love, doesn't matter especially when it's related to playing a game where orientation and gender isn't a factor, y'know? Love is love. It's not relevant to the game itself in my opinion, so I don't give it much thought)

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380

Pride charm doesn't mean somebodies LGBT. Plenty of our players just like showing their support :)

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

I see the charm a lot, I've seen all 5 players with it more than once . I also "main both sides" personally

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

Just messing with ya, bud. I get that you’re just using a hyperbole to say that someone’s sexuality isn’t any your business.

Although there are some people with pretty interesting… kinks. 😂 We’ll leave it at that.

• TerrorUnleashed
    TerrorUnleashed Member Posts: 497

I'm sorry, but what do women have to do with anything explicitly? I'm taking this is a response to the fact that women have been a 'minority' in the video game community up until recently? Just looking for clarification. Thanks.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187

If you don't mind me asking, what do you identify as?

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

I'm gay and I don't wear the charm because I'm very OCD about my charms matching my outfits and I very rarely wear something super super colorful that it warrants wearing the charm.

My boyfriend only wears it when he wears a colorful outfit but not when he's wearing a dark outfit.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

I'm bisexual. I just get annoyed when people reduce LGBT to gay men, especially due to bi-erasure.

• RiskyKara
    RiskyKara Member Posts: 804

I equipped the pride flag because I liked the colorful trinket, support for the LGBT community wasn't my priority at all.

It's only incidental that I'm a lesbian

• Progamer888
    Progamer888 Member Posts: 230

Me who don't wear charms: I'm four parallel universe as ahead of you

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481

The main rule I recommend to folks is that it is best to get at least to Q and if you drop the T that is full out sus and instantly is going to put a lot of people on edge because LGB is a dogwhistle for anti-trans hate groups.

When I am writing I tend to use lgbtq+. It is sorta an unhappy accident that A gets left out there because asexual errasure is a huge issue, but ending on Q for brevity's sake is a good spot to do so for a few reasons.

• JacksonWise
    JacksonWise Member Posts: 651

I'm an LGBT ally and have the charm on almost all my killers! Not sure if and when I will ever take them off. I just know showing a little support can go a long way for making members of LGBT feel included and wanted in our community. :)

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

We're all just hoping bhvr will finally confirm a handful of characters on both sides as lgbtq+

• kandalph
    kandalph Member Posts: 45

I wear it ironically

• Killing_Time
    Killing_Time Member Posts: 894

Not many. Most just wear the charm because it's dope. It has been used to target players also.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747
    edited August 2021

I dont think thats why. People will tunnel and camp anyone these days.

• Falkner09
    Falkner09 Member Posts: 373

There seem to be a lot of us. Gay streamers even casually joke about how common we are.

Although I wouldn't assume based on the pride charm. Some killers choose charms based on the fact that they can make hooks more visible in a pinch, since aura reading is... Unsatisfactory. The pride charm is the most eye catching and bright of all the charms, hence like 2/3 killers using it.

• hilapasta
    hilapasta Member Posts: 19

Yeah, I was just saying that I've noticed this isn't a straight men dominated game like many others.

• TerrorUnleashed
    TerrorUnleashed Member Posts: 497

Yeah, I just thought I'd check.

The question I would add as an extension to this now is, 'And there's nothing wrong with straight men, right?'... But that's not the topic in question, and I've had my fair share of hearing seriously concerning responses to questions like that (not that you'd necessarily follow in that trend, but just being safe haha)… so... yeah.

Cheers for the response.