Server instability kicks you from your match, and then punishes the player

May as well ask that this be addressed while I wait for the ban to expire.

I was playing as Nurse on RPD, and managed to get all survivors down before any gens were done. As I was on my way to get the 4th and final survivor hooked, servers crash, I get kicked to the pre-main menu screen and can't login to the game. The 8012 error, or whatever one it is that happens about once a week bc of server issues.

It feels bad enough that I had a game stolen from me, it's insult to injury that I'm getting punished because of issues with the servers. This has happened multiple times, they're actually the only times I've gotten matchmaking bans.

Could some measure please be put in place to detect when a match ends because of server error, and prevent the automatic handout of bans to players who didn't do anything wrong?

Answers

• Raihje
    Raihje Member Posts: 72
    edited September 2021

Yeah this is ridiculous. I got randomly DC'd earlier today and told I couldn't reconnected despite having internet (Talking to my duo friend on Discord she was still in the game) and I got back to a 5 min penalty. If it happens more than once that's straight up bad. Like really bad. Like 15 minutes, half an hour, or several hours. Just completely shut down your ability to enjoy this game in your free time because of something you have no control over.

• LegionMainsRCute
    LegionMainsRCute Member Posts: 25

Although this is a massive issue there are really no fixes to stop the ban however I think you were spared a horrible game, RPD is a horrible enough map for killers and you were playing Nurse on it making it 10x worse.

• Raihje
    Raihje Member Posts: 72

Pretty sure games like VALORANT and so on can determine if someone D/C'd by alt-f4ing (ie it just sends a close command to the program) or ending task vs "hey, our server is actually having issues, a bunch of people just dropped simultaneously."

• Bro, RPD may be really hard, but I had a great game that time as Nurse. I think she is probably the best killer on RPD since she doesn't have to care about stairs, where the survivors do. Not to mention she ignores their strong pallets and windows.

If you read my post, I wiped them out before they did a single gen. One of them was messing around trying to get to some spot they saw on reddit, but the rest of them gave me too many hits too soon, they got greedy and each tried to save one another/help the people up that I slugged without splitting up to heal and reset first. I absolutely destroyed them. It was great.

• Well yeah, servers in simple terms are just computers other computers are connecting to, all of this stuff should be tracked logged and measured even just for internal metrics/optimization.

The automatic banning system should be able to detect whether or not the player sent a disconnect command, or whether the connection to just that individual player was lost (their internet their fault, and prevents dodging bans by unplugging their ethernet cable or w/e), OR when all of the players get dropped at once, or if BHVR servers have an event or some issue that resets something.

The most important part of making an automatic banning system is to make certain it detects the bannable behavior properly and that said behaviors are the only thing that can trigger it.

• SPADESinst
    SPADESinst Member Posts: 84

This happens to me a lot when steam goes down for a bit. I get the DC penalty just for it. Makes me a little upset, but nothing I can do about it.