I'm Exploiting SBMM when it Launches

The title says it all; I'm going to exploit it by playing significantly worse so I can actually keep the fun matches and not have to go into the so-called "balanced" matches that people decide to sweat in so hard that I'm drowning in it.

I would genuinely rather play matches where me and the Survivors can actually stand around doing the funny crap rather than play matches where I know I will win, but I will still have to play competitively to do it. I'm not in this game to be competitive in the single most piss-easy "competitive game" ever, I'm in this game to try and have fun and fool around without having to resort to a KYF.

If my definition of fun means I have to actively sandbag in every match until I know my MMR is low enough, so be it.

Also, I'm totally not doing this just to show that this system can be extremely abused and is far from actually being in a state of viable function in a game so radically unequal that it makes my uneven astigmatism blush.

Comments

• Vulgun
    Vulgun Member Posts: 439

Bud, I'm in red ranks (as Killer) and still climbing. This game is extremely piss easy when you apply yourself.

I'm going to just be sandbagging as Killer to just fool around with Survivors that I'm way out of the league of because I enjoy messing around with people rather than actually thinking, "Oh, I'll try."

Let me tell you a little something; getting to red ranks has actually shown me that I don't like playing competitively; I ultimately will have to because I'm stuck doing that, but I want to play a game for the fun. There's no fun in getting RNG'd by maps, having Survivors take you to maps that are clearly survivor-sided and eventually just making games last 30+ minutes because they 3 Genned near two up-close totems and I decided to be a dick and extended the game out that long.

I want as enjoyable an experience as I can get, and there's zero way playing competitively would suit my preferences.

• Vulgun

Here's what I'm exactly going to be doing to really test the limits of this new "SBMM":

• I'm going to first try and get my MMR as low as possible with one specific killer; the Nemesis will be my plaything for this experiment. Afterwards, I'm going to actively see if the MMR is actually going to be able to give me much higher MMR at a much faster rate after winning, or if it will remain slow. Thus, this will result in one of two outcomes:
      • Outcome 1 is that the MMR actually adjusts swiftly and puts me against high MMR players where I should be at; this would confirm that at least the system is attempting to work (even though nobody wanted a system like this) and I will actively be trying to avoid high MMR like the plague deliberately.
      • Outcome 2 is that the MMR adjusts very slowly and puts me against low MMR players that I'm easily able to swamp, and thus get to Iridescent Grade I as fast as possible. This outcome, while preferable to me for testing purposes, would not be preferable for those who are low ranks and low MMR just to get a Killer or Survivor whose rank is actually an Iridescent Grade I. This outcome would also showcase how poorly designed the system is.
    • Then after that, I will actively attempt to see just how one can make the slowest possible MMR gains in Dead by Daylight while also resulting in a pip; this would also result in a similar outcome to Outcome 2 as stated before, as it would mean I would rank up fast but would ultimately end up not getting fast MMR build-up, thus leading to low MMR, high rank.
    • Because of this, if this all goes accordingly, I will have found a way to literally farm your way up to Iridescent Grade I for every season and thus get that easy 250,000 Bloodpoints for the Killer side.

My prediction:

• Their system's badly designed.
  • fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

GL HF

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Ok.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

I mean, if you want to waste your time, go ahead. I don't see the purpose of doing this because in theory if you don't sweat the MMR won't put you against other sweats.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298

That's not "exploiting" :/

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

I mean,there's pretty much nothing they can do.Same problem for any other muliplayer game with a ranked mode ever

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

Loosing games intentionally is definitly not "nothing wrong with it"

He is purposly ruining the game for others. This is not single player where it does not matter.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

Dude you dont even have to try any of this. If you think it is hard or unfun in "high ranks" you wont be paired with good players anyway. So no worries.

• DouubleYou
    DouubleYou Member Posts: 28

They say in the post you can only depip so many times, so you couldn't even derank to lower ranks if your tried anyway

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Sure the game is piss easy for killer if you have no sbmmr, because if you play a team of solo survivors, only one weak link might bring them down, even if 3 players are on your skill level, let alone if all players are below your skill level.

Its quite funny, you call the game piss easy but the moment you will have to face players at your skill level you try to abuse the system to not have fair matches...

Yeah, figures.

• PNgamer
    PNgamer Member Posts: 1,415

you know there is a difference between a grade 1 player with 2000 MMR and a grade 1 player with 3000 MMR right? Your experiment will not work. On the contrary

• Akito
    Akito Member Posts: 673

The obvious thing that will hapen is that after a few matches the MMR watches your statistics, analyze it and find others with the same stats and match you together. So if you go afk you'll get matched with people doing literally the same in the one or other way.

If you go for emblems and do certain actions the MMR will (over time) match you with people doing the same and if you start doing the exact opposite it won't adjust immediately but over time again.

If you're going for crazy matches from low to high to weird tier that's what you'll get. That's not a surprise, that's what you can expect. So have fun I guess

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

Yes, that's exactly what I'm complaining about. Why improve in the game if you are going to get the same results even if you get better? At least in other games you have ranked mode in wich you can see your MMR and prove your skill. In this game they said they would make MMR hidden. You either make matchmaking by the luck of the draw or make it a ranked mode where better players are recognized with public MMR and leaderbords. Not this stupid half way nonsense where you have 0 incentives to get better.

Time will prove veterans bleeding out from the game if they implement this without substantial changes, as it has been for every single game that has implemented SBMM without a proper ranked mode with rewards.

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

Because some people don't want fairer games.

They think they will just be matched up with hard and challenging opponents that they can't handle.

Problem is if you are facing those kinds of opponents, you won't get fair matches until you actually start playing them so the system can collect more accurate data.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Everybody! Look at me!

• Vulgun

I'm going to just say this one time, and one time only.

I've played my fair share of competitive sides of games; Overwatch, Smash Ultimate, even this game. I hate the competitive aspect of a game when there is no option for the fun aspect. Now Overwatch was the exception because it had modes that were made for the fun in mind, which I could appreciate, but Smash Ultimate's options were more limited in the online spectrum; I even attended actual offline tournaments before the crown hit, and I grew extremely bored of them very quickly despite placing high.

While Overwatch has plentiful options to have fun and unwind and Smash Ultimate is limited, Dead by Daylight has no option for fun play in the normal setting, especially when MMR starts to hit. That is my point.

And what results in a game starting to become more competitive is me growing increasingly bored and unwilling to play the game due to burning out on it. And with a game like Dead by Daylight, which has a homogenous game design for its characters and one of the single most boring gameplay loops I've ever had the misfortune of paying to play this game for, I've already started to burn out.

The MMR system is just going to accelerate it.

And you know what the kicker is? I know after MMR, this game is going to still remain piss easy even if I didn't decide I wanted to exploit the system to see what makes it tick. This game was fundamentally designed for children to pick up, play and still win, it's that easy.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,149

If you just played normally, wouldn't the system naturally put you into a level you would feel more comfortable at? By deliberately messing with something you don't even understand how it works properly, won't that make it even worse for you with disjointedly groupings of games ranging from dirt easy to mega hard, because of the randomness of data you're giving it? I think you're shooting yourself in the foot, honestly.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

As a killer with 18k hours I don't see why I should be -punished- by not being allowed to play against an endless stream of megheads who got into red ranks for the first time last week.

• Nemmy_Wemmy
    Nemmy_Wemmy Member Posts: 800
    edited September 2021

Basically same reason I quit cod, it became unplayable because of varying skills of different friends getting in sweat lobbies with me. I'd much prefer a mixed bag, some good, some average and some bad all mixed not every single game with unrelenting sweating, like It used to be. Protect the lower bracket like the actual babies then having connection/ping is king was the best way to have it. (For cod I mean) For dbd I'd rather then tweak and expand on the old emblem system rather than fully throw it away. A game like DBD was never built for competitive sbmm and the devs will never balance according and fast enough for it anyways. High level DBD is incredibly boring to play.

I'll either end up not playing anymore, or I may end up just doing stupid ######### like facecamping bubba if I decide to play killer. Mostly will play survivor with my friends if I do end up playing, and who knows how long that'll be.

I've been through this rodeo before in a franchise I loved...and yeah I loved cod despite it's admittedly bad entries, tried to get through it but all it ended up doing was getting me so burnt out, every match felt the same there was no variety and god forbid u tried doing camo challenges..or having none of my friends wanting to play bc of it all. Sorta off topic but that's my opinion I'm not shaming anyone for liking sbmm but it's definitely not for me I'll just play something else.

• baseballfan4877
    baseballfan4877 Member Posts: 364

i mean this already happens right? people derank on purpose on both sides already