Please. Add proximity voice chat.

Now I know most of you coming in will assume I'm saying so as a way to close the gap between solo and SWF Survivor play, which is partially true. From that perspective, I'd also argue making the perk Bond basekit for Survivors, but that is not the main thrust of my plea here.

I want to talk with people.

I want to just shoot the breeze with another Survivor I'm repairing a gen with. Just mundane "So how has your day been?" stuff while we hear Meg fight for her life in the distance. And I want the Wraith that rounds a corner at us in his post-uncloak supersonic lunge to hear me cut off mid-sentence and scream.

I want to hear Survivors arguing about who should go for the unhook as I creep up on them. I want to tell a killer facecamping me after a long chase that my ancestors are smiling down upon me. While chasing someone as Krueger, I'd like there to be a chance for both of us to get into a conversation about how different remake Fred is from original Fred as we walk around a car for the fifth time.

When I'm a Pig and I come across a Survivor with his head about to pop, I want him to hear me (poorly) singing the SAW ending theme as I crouchwalk behind him while he's looking for the key. Ramping up in volume as I try to tie the last note with the trap going off. "Dun da dah! Dun da da! Dun DUN! Da na na na na na NAAAAAAA! Duh nah nuh na na na NUUUH!"

The best -- the very best -- sells for DBD I have ever watched are videos of friend groups on comms playing games all by themselves. But that isn't the actual game. They aren't earning bloodpoints, they aren't advancing in anything, and they need exactly five people every time they want to do that. Don't give me any guff about it going against horror elements; In other subjects like gore level or killer power it's often brought up how horror in this game wears off with experience, and in the end there is little more true to the spirit of a slasher flick then a goofball not taking things seriously enough suddenly getting his face caved in. And if that bunny Feng can't hear my Deathslinger mumble about wascally wabbits as he reloads his rifle, Are we truly having as much fun as we potentially could have?

Comments

• Sickerton
    Sickerton Member Posts: 77

That is also an argument against text chat. Or visible names. Or, well, any interaction whatsoever.

At least with in-game voice chat, other Survivors can re-evaluate their priorities with assisting a toxic player on the fly and let things sort themselves out naturally. And let's not act like removing all dialogue fixes this in a game where people can't hear each other but still manage to get angry at people crouching rapidly.

• SmellyGoat
    SmellyGoat Member Posts: 14

This would take toxicity between survivors to a whole new level, more in game choices would be based on a person's character and it'd be a gateway for trolls to be, well, what they are.

It'd also be highly immersion killing to the horror-based style of the game. DBD does not need this type of communication outlet

• DieGräfin
    DieGräfin Member Posts: 227

Pls no voice chat. Like others say, there will be war between the survs.

"Why do you go tho the hook you f******g r****d, it's mine..."

"2 second chase Baby Claudette" and so on.

Please no 😂

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,212
    edited September 2021

Chat is censored, and you can be banned for inappropriate names.

There's no way to police voice chat.

If you want to talk to people, use Discord.

• BrodieDBD
    BrodieDBD Member Posts: 125

I don't want them to add voice chat because I think it will make the survivors personalities feel less relevant, as you will be thinking of your teammate as the random dude you hear on the mic, not as 'the claudette', as an example. And for me, the characters are one of the main reasons why I love this game.

• bleep275
    bleep275 Member Posts: 227

As much as I'd love proximity voice chat. This community is too toxic for that lol

• Sickerton
    Sickerton Member Posts: 77

Yes there is, it's already built into the game. You can flag any person post-match for unsportsmanlike conduct or hate speech, and even get a little text box to elaborate on the details. Single flags of this sort are not likely to be acted upon, but multiple reports of a similar nature can and do get people banned even if the specific words cannot be played back for evidence.

But no, maybe it'd be more simple to just get your Discord handle. And the handles of everyone else in this forum. At the start of every match I could go through the entire list and individually invite every single person in the lobby to a call, including the killer I can't see the name of until the match is over. That should be the way to do it.

Or maybe -- maybe -- there would be an option to just turn off voice chat for those who don't want it. This game already has that for every mode of communication besides interpretive dance, so why do you all think it would be any different here? Even if you think that from the moment voicechat is enabled to the heat death of the universe the only thing it'd broadcast is Mein Kampf screamed into a dollar store mic by an angry fifth grader, as long as there's an off option literally nothing would change for you.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Only if I get the option to shut it off before the lobby. I don't want to hear anyone while I enjoy the game.

• redjasper
    redjasper Member Posts: 143

I would stop playing dead by daylight.