What a surprise. SBMMR doesn't work.

"Skill based matchmaking ratings are also separate for each Killer, meaning you’ll have tougher matches with the Killer you’re really good at, but easier matches when you’re trying out a new Killer for the first time."

I have 2.5k hours in the game. Currently sitting at Iri II killer (casual killer not a particularly good one) I have never played Demogorgon in my life. I have no perks (except for the three tier 1 teachables). I wanted to test to see if what BHVR said would happen, would actually happen and I would be matched with less skilled survivors considering I have never played that killer before. So I bought Demo and jumped into a game.

I was absolutely obliterated by 4 Iri I/II survivors. They ran every tile near-perfectly, they were optimal, managed their time efficiently. If anything, this was a significantly higher standard of team than I used to get.

Not impressed.

Comments

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,501

It takes a bunch of games to hone in. Patience is a virtue.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

Easier doesn't mean stomping new players, which was a problem in the early tests.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

They wrote that each killer has their own MMR tho.

So in theory he should have gotten placed with low mmr players.

• WretchedElk
    WretchedElk Member Posts: 311

But if you have never played an MMR game then you won’t have a score yet (as far as I know). I’m guessing you either start at rock bottom or with an assumed score based on your previous rank.

You might have some hard/easy games until your score is… calibrated.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

They take an assumption of your skill for killers you never use to stop the rank 20 stomp.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

The devs added a system that uses some of your other killer mmr for initial matching on new killers you play. Each killer still has individual mmr you just can't go match up with new players if you have high mmr on other killers.

Also the mmr system can only match him up with survivors in queue and they did add adjustments to prevent 2 hour queues. So if no one in his mmr brqcket is playing then he'll get matched up with people who are. Which the mmr loss or gain will be adjusted to match the predicted outcome.

• razvicool
    razvicool Member Posts: 54

Their system might be creating a base mmr for survivor and each killer depending on your stats/rank so far.

Then, by playing your main killers, you are expected to reach higher ratings and so do the better survivors.

Finally, after what could be a few days or even 2 weeks, we might see a proper distribution.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,956

more like DBD community in a nutshell, say no to change and complain about the lack of it.

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719

They wrote that QA when that's how it worked. In the last MMR test they changed how it worked so that it overestimates your skill with a new killer rather than underestimate.

• WretchedElk
    WretchedElk Member Posts: 311

Do survivors all share a single MMR score?

It doesn’t really make sense, but I play worse with David than I do with Feng.

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889
    edited September 2021

It's better though. Without that system i would get obliterated like 50 times until i'm good enough for rank 1 at Nurse (for example). Better 10 matches and adjust than never adjusting.

There is also not an easy solution for this kind of situation. One of the main reasons they invented this system was low rank players getting much higher skill opponents. A rank 1 killer with 2,5k hours shouldn't play against rank 20 survivors only because he plays a killer for the first time. There are always 2 sides, and it wouldn't be fun for the newbies to get destroyed only because the killer doesn't know how to use the M2 attack on Demo yet (for example). If you have so much experience, you will win every match against rank 20s just because of your general game knowledge and M1 gameplay knowledge.

• SPADESinst
    SPADESinst Member Posts: 84

Survivors share the same MMR, other than perks, you play each survivor basically the same. Rather than killers, where each one has a different power and has to be played differently.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

Here is how to judge SBMMR correctly, at the VERY minimum. Play 30 games with the same killer. Write down the kills vs escapes for the last 20 games, ignoring the first 10. Then see if the kills vs escapes is close to 50%.

Doing anything else will mean your viewpoint will be totally disregarded by everyone on this message board.

No one on this message board is going to take your viewpoint about 1 game seriously.

• Toxicboii
    Toxicboii Member Posts: 446

It just now released, of course everyone is the same rank.

Considering the emblem system is unreliable and you can't derank with this new one, it'd be way too hard for some survivors facing up against red rank killers.

So on and so forth....

It'll sort itself out over time.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

The SBMM is disappointed of you, and hopefully will give you easier matches, so that you are not sad.

• JohnWeak
    JohnWeak Member Posts: 854
  • Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Yes, but it collected Data for the SBMM, but the Matchmaking was done via the Ranking-System. So Killers might be boosted currently, because they kept going against weaker Survivors all the time. Now, SBMM is responsible for the Matchmaking, so they will get stronger Survivors.

But this is not the case for OP. In OPs case, his Demo-Rating is calculated based on all the Ratings of his other Killers, so it will be somewhere in the middle of his Ratings. Because you cannot start at 0 when trying out a new Killer, this would be horrible. Whenever a new Killer would be released, Queue Times would be super-long and all Killer players would go against complete new Survivors, until their Rating is calculated.

So if OP plays Demo for the first time, they will get Survivors which are stronger, because Demo has the Rating of all his other Killers. After a few games, Demo will have his own Rating.

• gammatsunami
    gammatsunami Member Posts: 545
    edited September 2021

Why are they so confident this is the one thats staying? They literally cant do anything without stuffing it up, not sure whats giving them so much confidence.

My first match with pinhead was against 4x iri 1-2s and im a gold. They all have meta perks, I have the adept ones. Not to mention hes a bugged killer, and seems on the weaker side ( his power seems like a worse clown one in chase )

• JohnWeak
    JohnWeak Member Posts: 854

Well i don't know where it has been collected then.

Usually i was escaping like 60 to 70% of my trials; topping all other survivors most of the time and always playing for the team and i end up with potatoes.

Aswell, all trials i have played now have been 4K for the killer. Great data collecting, we are perfectly aligned with the 2K/2E announced.

I guess BHVR is now more in the marketing communication than what the reality really is.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

Thats also because you have never played demogorgon

How is sbmm supposed to know where to put you if you never played that character ever?

You are currently going through placement matches, so you are gonna be queued with random people till the sbmm gets a rank for you

Also grades mean absolutely nothing towards skill

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

Well, new killers should use other killer ratings as a baseline, but modified down. Obviously there’s a shared skill set between all killers that is useful, so people who are regularly cleaning up on other killers shouldn’t be facing literal newbies when they pick a new killer, but also the difference between someone playing (for example) their first match of Huntress and someone who has 3 years of experience under their belt will be significant. So you find a happy medium.

Isn’t this literally how they said it would work? I don’t think anyone reasonable wants to have the lowest possible MMR on a new killer if they’re seasoned, but similarly they shouldn’t have a super high score either. There should be an adjustment.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,763

It is also possible that squad had been waiting for a long long time and the system yoinked the next available killer. Guess you won that prize. I had hoped that senario wasn't supposed to happen anymore, but who knows...

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554

"I have 2.5k hours in the game"

"I was obliterated by Iri I/II survivors"

Well...are you expecting to be matched with baby survivors with 2.5k hours? with 2.5k hours you should know better than to play unleveled killers.

This is a you problem.

• Guest1567432
    Guest1567432 Member Posts: 728

I got my popcorn and am ready for the "MMR isn't working", "MMR is bad", "MMR sucks" threads.

• ggallinftw
    ggallinftw Member Posts: 351

Seems to still use the "1 or 2 good survivors can make up for the shortcomings of a noob who gets 3 hooked before a gen is done" system. If i'm expected to carry every match from now on then that's it for me as far as playing survivor goes.

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508

Then the system serves no purpose and the only positive aspect of the system is non-existent. The point of SBMM and the reason why it's included in casual games is to separate those who don't know what they're doing from those that do. Part of the point of SBMM in DBD (as noted by others) is to give easier matches with the killers you've never used until the user gets better. If you picked up a killer before, you'd face a random assortment of skill levels of survivors while learning a killer. If the baseline MMR is based off of the MMR of other killers, then this means that the game grantees that you will face survivors that you are not ready for until it calibrates, which means SBMM is not properly implemented in the game, period. It's the opposite problem. If it works how you and the OP says it does, you're effectively reverse boosting the survivors if you pick up a new killer.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

If the system serves no purpose, then why are you complaining about it. Since it's not doing anything, then it's not any different than the previous matchmaking system.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060
    edited September 2021

Your Rating will adjust after a few games. So if you try out a new Killer and get your ass beaten a few times, you will get weaker Survivors.

It is impossible that the SBMM starts at 0 for people who try out new Killers. This would face them against Survivors who just started playing with two obvious problems:

• You can simply obliterate Survivors with most Killers. Say you know how to play the game as Trapper - you will have an easy time against Baby Survivors with at least every M1-Killer. This would not be fair. The difference in playstyle between Trapper and Pig is not really relevant when going against brand new Survivors.
    • Second, if a new Killer gets released, everyone would start at 0 Rating for this Killer. So the Queue Times would be HORRIBLE when you try out a new Killer because suddenly thousands of Killers with 0 Rating queue up. And brand new Survivors will go against lots of experienced Killer players.
  • MarcoPoloYolo

You clearly didn't read what I said outside of the first sentence. SBMM is achieving the opposite of what it's supposed to.

• Sypherpathic
    Sypherpathic Member Posts: 488

Sorry that you came up against a team of survivors better than you. Don't worry. Play more matches and you will descend to whatever level you match up against and you can win matches again. Strength, friend.

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

And I have personally had VERY balanced matches and I even tried out Nemmy for the first time and got a very fun and balanced match.

• lechero1125
    lechero1125 Member Posts: 28

it is work well for me.

• MarcoPoloYolo

I didn't say anyone should be going against day 1 players. That's your words, not mine. What I'm saying is that the premise of sending a killer player using a killer for the first time against the players that they'd be sent against if they were playing their mains is stupid. It's also outright the opposite of what the devs said would happen. You should obviously start with the mid-level survivors. 10 matches is over 2 hours of playtime to just get screwed over. This makes saving bloodpoints for new killers even more important, which is, again, stupid.

• VikingWilson
    VikingWilson Member Posts: 789

Seriously, people act like their account's curve should be flattened in a few matches on the first day of its release.

Give it time, people.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

I thought they were going to use past data to help with the mmr? I have to say I'm on a 15 game losing streak today and I've only gotten gold and iri grade players and the last 3 have been all iri. I know grades don't count but they are directly from rank and when I was a green rank I was getting 90% of my games had 2-3 red or purple and then a green or yellow and and I couldn't really keep up with the purple and reds and now that's all I'm getting even know I'v gotten 2 kills in 15 games and they seem to be getting harder. I was looking forward to SBMMR but it only made my matches more lop sided because all 4 survivor are more skilled then me.